Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Advent of Washu ❯ Of Sages and Fools ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-The Advent of Washu-

***********************003**********************

OF SAGES AND FOOLS

"Grab a couple bags of rice, will you Mihoshi?" Ryoko said, reading from the list. After rice came soy sauce. She set the list back in the basket and looked up and down the aisle. She saw lots of rice and a bunch of different types of noodles, but no soy sauce. "Where is it?" she mumbled. "Hey, Mihoshi, where's the soy sauce?"

"I don't know which one," Mihoshi said.

"What?" Ryoko asked, turning around. Mihoshi had about five different bags of rice in her hands, juggling them about. How she didn't drop them all was a mystery to Ryoko.

"Do you want brown rice or white rice (bleached or unbleached, they've got both,) or Japanese rice or Aztec rice or Spanish rice or . . ., oh I don't know there's just too many different types and I can't decide which one."

"Um," Ryoko said, looking at the list again. "I don't know. It doesn't say. What's the difference?"

Mihoshi looked from bag to bag. "I . . . I don't know."

"Hmm," Ryoko thought for a moment. "We're in Japan, so take the Japanese rice."

"Okay." She put the rest of the bags back on the shelf and dropped a couple of sacks in Ryoko's basket.

"Where's the soy sauce?"

"I think it's in that aisle over there," Mihoshi said, pointing at the other end of the supermarket. She paused and thought. "Or maybe it was over there?" she said, pointing the other way.

"You're completely useless, Mihoshi," Ryoko said, shoving the basket at Mihoshi. "Hold this for a minute." She stepped over to the nearest shelf and poked her head through it, phasing into the next aisle.

"Um, Ryoko," Mihoshi said, placing her hand over her mouth. "I don't think you should do that. . ."

A scream erupted from the other side of the shelves, and Ryoko pulled herself back to their side.

"Damn," Ryoko muttered, looking up and down the aisle again, "she didn't know where it was either."

"I don't think you should do that again," Mihoshi said, fumbling with the basket. "I don't think Earth people are used to things like that."

"I'm just trying to find the soy sauce." She frowned, floating into the air so she could look over the tops of the shelves.

"Oh," whined Mihoshi, looking up and down the aisle. It was empty, except for them.

"Hey!" Ryoko cried, pointing at the other end of the store, "I think I see it!" And she disappeared.

"Oh, Ryoko," Mihoshi whimpered, dancing about in one place uncomfortably, "you shouldn't do that here." She looked up and down the aisle again, and then jogged toward the far end. She looked first one way, then the other. "Which way did she go?"

She heard someone shout in surprise off to her left, and headed in that direction. She had passed about five aisles when she heard a bit of commotion down one of the rows. She turned and headed down it. Ryoko was about halfway down the aisle, searching a shelf full of bottles of different types of sauces. A woman was hastily gathering up the contents of her shopping basket, which lay strewn about the floor. She kept glancing up at Ryoko nervously.

"Aha!" Ryoko shouted triumphantly, snatching a bottle off the shelf and causing the woman to jump in surprise, dropping her basket again. Mihoshi trotted down the aisle and started helping the woman gather her things. Ryoko looked down at them. "Hey, Mihoshi," she said, holding out the bottle, "I found some."

"Oh, did you? That's great," she said, taking the bottle of soy sauce from Ryoko and putting it in their own basket. She looked over the shopping list that Nobuyuki had prepared for them. "That was the last thing on the list, too." The woman grabbed the last of her groceries, and with an odd look at the two women scampered off down the aisle and disappeared around the corner. Ryoko watched her go and snorted.

"Now that was rude," she said. "She drops her stuff all over the place and then doesn't even thank you for helping her to pick it up. Your watch is beeping."

"What?" The Comm unit she wore was beeping and flashing blue. She lifted her wrist and looked at the display. "Oh no!" she cried. "Someone is trying to call me!"

Ryoko shrugged. "Just have them leave a message."

Mihoshi shook her head furiously. "No, no I can't. It's a priority call. I have to get to Yukinojo." She looked around the store, trying to get her bearings straight. "Um, Ryoko. Which way was the door again?"

"God, you're useless," Ryoko said, grabbing Mihoshi by the shoulders. "Hold on," she sighed, and they disappeared.

The little kid who happened to be looking down the aisle at that particular moment was never able to convince his mother that the ladies really had vanished, just like in the cartoons.

--------------------------------------------------------

"WHAT!!!" Shinjiro shouted at the image being displayed in front of him. "Leave a message! I need to talk to her now!"

"But I already told you, sir," the computer on the other end of the communications line said, "Miss Mihoshi is not here at the moment. I can get your message to her as soon as she gets in."

"And I told you, I'll be arriving on Earth in a few hours, and I need to talk to the detective before I get there. My god, what sort of operation are you running down there, anyway?"

"I'm sorry, sir," said Yukinojo. "I've contacted Mihoshi, and she should be able to get back to you within a few minutes, if you wouldn't mind waiting."

Shinjiro shoved away from the monitor and leaned back in his chair, disgusted. "I guess I don't have much choice, do I?"

"With Mihoshi, sir, you take what you can get."

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Now isn't this better than taking the bus?" Ryoko shouted over the howling wind as they flew over the countryside. Mihoshi just kept her eyes shut tight and tried not to drop the grocery basket. Ryoko laughed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shinjiro's fingers danced across the desktop impatiently. "I'm still waiting," he scowled. Yukinojo bowed apologetically.

"I know sir. I believe she's on her way."

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Where did I put it?" Mihoshi moaned, pulling clothes from her wardrobe, upturning her futon, clearing her shelves, and basically tearing her room to shreds. Ryoko watched from the hallway, snickering. Mihoshi's wrist com beeped again.

"Oh no, oh no, oh no," she cried, shaking out her blankets and tossing them away when nothing but candy wrappers fell out of them.

Washu came up behind Ryoko in the hallway and peeked around her into Mihoshi's room. She glanced up at Ryoko. "Can't find her control cube again?"

"Nope."

"So why don't you tell her that it's hanging from her belt?"

"It's more fun this way."

Mihoshi tipped her wardrobe over trying to pull it away from the wall, causing all the drawers to slide out of it before the thing went crashing to the floor. "Oh," she whined, "It's not here either."

Washu grinned. "Hey, this is kinda' fun! By the way, I monitored a ship entering the Solar system, and it was sending signals to Yukinojo."

"You mean someone actually wants to get in contact with her?"

"Looks that way."

"I guess you should tell her then."

"Give her a few more minutes." Washu stepped back and leaned against the wall opposite Mihoshi's door, watching the destruction with perverse glee. "Did you get all the shopping done?" she asked Ryoko as Mihoshi started gutting her closet.

"Got it all right here," Ryoko said, holding up the basket, "and I got everything on the list, too."

"Good!" Washu grinned, then did a double take at the basket. "Hey, doesn't that basket belong to the market?"

"Huh?" Ryoko said, and looked down at the groceries. "Oh, yeah, I guess it does. I must've forgotten to give it back when we left so quickly."

"Forgot to give it back? Did you even pay for the food?"

"Pay?" Ryoko blinked a few times, then slapped her fist in her palm. "Damn! I knew I was forgetting something!"

"Miss Washu!" Mihoshi whined, stepping out into the hall, crying her eyes out. "I can't find my control cube! Can you help me please?"

Washu looked from Ryoko, who was still regarding the basket of groceries to Mihoshi, who was standing in front of her, looking incredibly pathetic, and sighed. "We're all doomed," she said, pointing to the puffball hanging from Mihoshi's belt.

"What in the world took you so long, detective?" the man in the hologram demanded. Mihoshi straightened out her hat and stood up straight.

"I'm really sorry, sir," she said. "I was shopping, and I couldn't get to my ship fast enough. This is a Jurai protected area, you know, so I can't let you do any mining here. That is a mining ship, isn't it?"

"Shopping? Never mind. I'm not here to mine, anyway. I'm Lieutenant Shinjiro Yakagamo with the special criminals unit of the G.P. I have reason to believe a suspect I'm tracking is hiding out on the Earth, and I need you to help me find her."

"Special criminals unit?" Mihoshi echoed. "That sounds dangerous." She placed a finger to her cheek and thought for a moment. "I don't know of any dangerous criminals on Earth, though. Are you sure you have the right planet?"

"Your own report said that this was the place, detective Mihoshi. I'm looking for Washu Hakubi."

Mihoshi was stunned. "W-Why? You're not going to arrest her, are you?"

"Maybe. I just need to talk to her. We'll see what needs to be done after that."

"But she hasn't done anything wrong!"

Shinjiro leaned as close to the camera as he could, his face filling the holo-screen, and Mihoshi instinctively took a step back. "Look, detective," he said, "I have very good reason to believe Hakubi may have somehow been responsible for releasing Kain, and destroying the G.P. headquarters. I lost a lot of good friends that day, and damn near died myself, okay? So, whether you help me or not, I'm going down to that planet, 'Jurai Protected area' be damned, and talking to your friend." He pulled back from the camera, and Mihoshi was able to catch her breath. "I've read your report, Mihoshi, and know all about how you're living with those earthlings, flaunting every rule in the book without a care for the consequences. If it wasn't for your grandfather, I'd have you busted out of the G.P. so quick you wouldn't know what hit you, so don't mess with me, you got it?"

Mihoshi was only able to nod.

"I'll be in orbit in a few hours. Be ready when I get there. And tell Ryoko not to try anything funny." The screen went blank.

"What was that all about, Mihoshi?" Yukinojo asked.

"I. . . I don't know."

---------------------------------------------------------------

"My god, that woman's a basket case," Shinjiro said, terminating the call.

"Don't you think you were a little, well, 'coarse' with her?" Rodger asked.

Shinjiro snorted. "Maybe." He turned his seat around to face the main view screen. A large, brownish planet with a ring filled the screen. "How much longer 'till we reach Earth, Amos?"

"Two-point-five hours, sir."

"Good." The solar filters on the view screen clicked on as the sun breached the planet's horizon, illuminating the ring. Shinjiro kicked back in his seat and watched the planet drift by.

"So what do we do when we get there?" Rodger asked a few minutes later.

The Amos moved into the shadow of one of the planet's moons. Shinjiro shrugged. "We take it one step at a time. That's how these things always go."

Rodger nodded.

"Don't worry. I'll be doing most of the work. I just needed you guys for the ride, that's all."

"I'm not worried about that."

"Didn't say you were." Amos emerged from the shadow of the moon, and continued toward the small blue planet near the heart of the Solar system.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tenchi was lost again. The endless hallways of the palace stretched for miles, most of them seeming to lead nowhere important. Tenchi figured it would take someone the better part of a lifetime to learn his way around all the different corridors of the palace.

". . . To learn his way around this tree," Tenchi mumbled, shaking his head. He stopped and looked around, trying to find something that he recognized. There was nothing. He sighed and started walking again.

The hallway stretched out in front of him, curving gently to the left and looking much like the dozens of other halls he'd walked since arriving on Jurai. It was also just as empty. In fact, he hadn't seen another person in at least half an hour or more. It was a little eerie.

Up ahead, there was a large set of double doors, leading off to the right. Tenchi paused and looked back over his shoulder. All the other doors he had come across were on the left side of the hall, and he'd been starting to get the impression that he was going around in circles.

"Well, why not?" he said, and grabbed the handle. The doors swung open without any effort whatsoever.

They opened onto a garden filled with small trees and shrubbery. Deep green lawns outlined a series of dirt pathways, which were hard-packed and smooth. Tenchi closed the doors behind him (after checking to make sure they weren't locked), and walked out into the garden.

"Hey," he said to himself, walking down one of the paths that led through a small grove of cherry blossom trees (or something similar), "this place is something else." The path emerged from the grove into a semi-clearing, lined on both sides by hedges and leading to a large, ancient tree in the center. Beyond the tree, Tenchi could see for miles out over the Jurai countryside, and he realized that the garden must be on one of the gigantic balconies he had seen while landing. He walked over to the stone railing, passing under the thick boughs of the old tree. He leaned forward on his elbows, looking out across the great forest that lay below, stretching in every direction to the horizon. A warm breeze filled the air, causing the trees below to sway back and forth, dancing in the sunlight. He got the feeling as if he were floating in the middle of a gently rolling ocean of green.

"It takes my breath away every time I come here," a voice to his side said. Tenchi turned, slightly startled. Lady Funaho was standing beside him, hands folded in front of her, looking out at the landscape. He hadn't even heard her come up.

"Oh, Lady Funaho, you startled me," he said, "I didn't know you were here."

"It is quite easy to get lost in the beauty of this place, isn't it? I like to come here when I need some peace." She sat down on one of the benches that lined the railing, looking up at Tenchi and smiling.

"It's something, that's for sure. We don't have anything like it on Earth."

"But Earth has it's own beauty, some things that Jurai does not have."

"Yeah, but on Jurai everything's so grand. You don't take anything for granted like we do back home."

Funaho smiled. "From the Tenjyu it is easy to think that. Jurai and Earth are not all that different, really. We both make mistakes."

A flock of birds flew into the sky from the forest below, and Tenchi watched as they moved in unison, darting this way and that before settling on a course that took them to the horizon and beyond. "Do you ever miss it?" Tenchi asked as the birds disappeared from view. "Earth, I mean. If you don't mind my asking."

Funaho shifted her gaze out to the countryside. "Sometimes." She watched the gentle motion of the trees for a minute, then stood. "Let me show you something, Tenchi. It may help you understand a few things about Jurai, and yourself, as well." She motioned toward the old tree standing behind them. The two walked over to it, the shadows cast from the plentiful leaves shading them from the warm mid-day sun. It was a very old tree, as Tenchi could tell from the moment he'd first noticed it, and it's surface was gnarled and covered with knots, but there were no signs of decay. Just age.

"This is the tree Murasama," Funaho said, running a hand across the rough bark. "A great many years ago, when Jurai was still young, Murasama was born. He was a first generation tree, a direct descendent of Tsunami, and he was bonded with a little boy whose mother was an off-worlder." Funaho sat down on a nearby bench. "She was not from Earth, but other than that, very little is known about her. Unfortunately, the boy was very sick from birth, and when he was still very young, he died and was buried deep in the forest."

"That's terrible."

"Yes. At this time, our people had only been on Jurai for a few generations, and there were not very many of us. The child's death was hard for them. Murasama took it especially hard, and refused to bond with another. Even Tsunami herself could not help him through his grief, and eventually Murasama requested to be planted in the soil of Jurai, so that he could be one with his young master again."

"But I thought if a royal tree took root, it would die?"

Funaho nodded. "I believe that was Murasama's idea. Tsunami protested, of course, but Murasama's grief grew worse every day, and she finally relented and granted him his wish."

Tenchi was confused, as usual. "But that was thousands of years ago, and this tree is still alive."

Funaho smiled. "The tree is still alive, yes. But Murasama is very much dead. The will that grants the tree sentience and power died long ago, but the shell remains."

"I see. That's a very sad story."

"Jurai's history is full of such tales. After Murasama died, the trees would only bond with those of royal blood. They did not want a repeat of what happened to Murasama."

Tenchi sat down across from Funaho. "What does that have to do with you and Earth?"

"Just as this tree remains here, a part of me will always remain on Earth, but Jurai is my home now." She smiled at Tenchi. "This is where those I love are, and that's really all one needs. Besides," she said, breaking into a huge grin, "living here definitely has it's benefits!" She pointed at her cheeks. "I wouldn't look this good if I were nine-hundred years old on Earth, now would I?"

Tenchi laughed. "No, I guess not!"

They both looked at Murasama, each seeing something different in the way the rough bark curled around the great bulk of the tree. The breeze rustled the leaves.

"I'm glad you came, Tenchi."

Tenchi nodded, still looking at the tree. "With Ayeka and Sasami always talking about Jurai, I had to come and see it for myself." He smiled. "I'm glad I came, too."

"How long will you stay?"

Tenchi was taken aback slightly. "You know, I hadn't really thought about it that much." He ran his hand through his hair, scratching the back of his head. "I guess I thought we'd go back in a few days, after tonight's celebration."

"Do the girl's feel the same way?"

"Oh, . . . um, . . . heh, I'm not sure."

Funaho stood. "You can stay as long as you wish, you know. You are always welcome here."

"What about the King?" Tenchi asked. "I've got the feeling that he doesn't like me that much."

"Don't worry about him," Funaho laughed, "Misaki and I will work on him. You are a prince of Jurai, after all." She beckoned for Tenchi to stand, and started down the path. Tenchi jumped up and followed her into the grove. She looked over at him as he caught up to her. "There are many opportunities for you here on Jurai, you know, Tenchi. You will have to make some decisions before too long."

He nodded. Through the trees, they heard the doors to the garden open. They both looked up as they heard Ayeka calling for Tenchi.

"Yes," Funaho said, "definitely some decisions."

---------------------------------------------------------------

"He's the captain of the special criminals unit of the Galaxy Police," said Washu, reading from her computer. "They're an elite team of detectives who, under Shinjiro's command, have tracked down and arrested some of the universe's most wanted and dangerous criminals."

"Tough cookie," Ryoko said, only half listening to Washu.

Washu shut down her computer and hopped off the counter. "It's nothing that the greatest scientific genius in the universe can't handle!"

"Great," Ryoko said, handing Washu her half-eaten cookie. "Could you soften it up a little? Nobuyuki can't bake to save his life."

"Actually, I think these are the ones you made," said Washu, pulling a large wooden mallet out of nowhere. "And you weren't listening to me!"

"So what are you going to do, miss Washu?" asked Mihoshi.

"Yeah, Washu," Ryoko growled, removing Washu's mallet from her head, "what are you going to do now?"

"Absolutely nothing."

"But he wants to arrest you!" cried Mihoshi.

"He's welcome to try," she said, grabbing a cookie from the plate. "He doesn't have any proof." She bit into the cookie.

"Are you alright, Washu?" asked Mihoshi, a little worried. "I think I heard something break."

"WHAT THE HELL DID YOU PUT IN THESE THINGS!?" shouted Washu, throwing her cookie at Ryoko, who ducked. The cookie flew past, putting a good sized hole in the kitchen wall.

"Damnit Washu, I told you I didn't make them!"

"Anyway," she continued, reaching into subspace and pulling out a fresh-baked oatmeal raisin cookie, "I'd like to talk to this guy, at least. It could be interesting." She bit down on the cookie, and Mihoshi whimpered as a small amount of steam escaped. "He should be getting here any time now," said Washu, popping the last of the cookie in her mouth.

"My, that looked good," Mihoshi said.

"What's this guy want with you, anyway?" Ryoko asked.

"It seems he thinks I let Kain loose and destroyed G.P. headquarters."

"That's ridiculous," said Ryoko. "You helped us to destroy him."

"But that was in the past, remember? And no report was ever filed. It was almost as if it never happened."

"Where would he ever get such a crazy idea in the first place?"

"Who knows?" Washu shrugged. "People handle stressful situations in different ways. He may be delusional."

"Does that mean he's crazy?" asked Mihoshi.

"Yes, Mihoshi. That means he's crazy."

"Oh my, that's not too good, is it?"

"I'll be in my lab," said Washu, heading for the kitchen door. "Someone might want to let Grandfather know some company is on the way." She slid the door open and paused, looking back over her shoulder. "And the kitchen could use some cleaning up, too while you're at it."

Ryoko jumped up. "I'm going to see the old man," she said, floating toward the outside wall. She looked back over her shoulder at the pile of dishes sitting on the counter and snickered. . .

. . .Then she smacked into the wall, crashing to the floor in a crumpled heap. "Ouch!" she cried, sitting up and rubbing her head. "Damnit Washu! Warn me when you set up an anti-teleport shield, why don't you?"

Washu was standing in the kitchen doorway. "I'm sorry, Ryoko," she said quietly, rubbing her temple. "I must have forgotten I put one there. I'll. . . be in my lab if you need me." She turned around and closed the door behind her. Ryoko growled and stood up.

"That damn Washu. She can be such a pain sometimes." She smoothed down her clothes and headed toward the kitchen door, then stopped dead in her tracks.

"What is it, Ryoko?" asked Mihoshi. Ryoko just stood there, facing away from Mihoshi.

"I can't fly."

"What do you mean?"

"I just tried to. . . , and I can't." She turned to face Mihoshi, a very worried look on her face. "Mihoshi, I. . ." she said, her voice cracking and her hands trembling. "I don't feel. . . very. . ."

She collapsed.

"Oh my god! Ryoko!" cried Mihoshi, running over to her and kneeling next to the fallen woman. She ran a hand over Ryoko's forehead. "Hold on, Ryoko!" Mihoshi said, jumping to her feet. "I'll get Washu!" She slid the kitchen door open and headed for Washu's lab, but only made it a few steps before tripping over something.

She smacked to the floor head-first, and the world exploded in a flash of red and white. She cried out in pain, and pushed herself up to her knees, rubbing the large goose egg forming on her forehead. She looked back down the hall, trying to see what it was that had tripped her up. Behind her, just outside the kitchen door, was a jumbled heap of black cloth.

Mihoshi scampered over to the mound, knowing that Washu lay underneath, but not understanding what it was she was seeing. She scampered over to the little genius and started shaking her.

"Washu!" she cried, rolling her over and staring at the child-like face, eyes half-closed and rolled back in her head "Oh no, Washu! Wake up! Ryoko needs you!" Washu's hair was matted with sweat, and was clinging to her face. A trickle of blood traced down her forehead before dripping neatly to the floor.

She wrapped her arms around the scientist and hugged her close. "What's going on!" cried a very alone and very scared Mihoshi.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sasami pounded on Ayeka's door. "Hurry up, Ayeka! We're going to be late!"

"I'm almost ready," Ayeka shouted, her voice muffled by the door. "Could you help me with this belt?"

"We have to hurry," Sasami said, opening the door and stepping into her sister's room. She closed the door behind her and turned around. "Oh, Ayeka," she said, clasping her hands in front of her and smiling, "you look beautiful!"

"Do you think so, Sasami?" Ayeka said, trying to tie up her belt behind her.

"Definitely," Sasami said. Ayeka was wearing a bright red kimono, accented with golden dragons sewn into the fabric that bounced light around the room as she moved. She had removed her ponytails and was wearing her hair down, held in place by a flat, golden hair clasp. "Where did you get that dress, Ayeka?" Sasami asked, helping her sister tie her belt in a giant bow.

"At a small shop on Earth. It comes from China. Do you think Tenchi will like it?" she asked, smoothing down a couple of folds in the fabric.

Sasami finished with Ayeka's belt and nodded. "Uhm-hm! He'll love it! But won't father be angry? Everybody else will be wearing Juraian clothes."

"I'm not worried about him," Ayeka said, sitting down on a stool and pulling her shoes on. "Everybody knows we've been on Earth for quite some time now. It will be good to give them a little taste of a different culture. Come here." She picked some lint off of Sasami's traditional party dress and smoothed out a few wrinkles. "That's better."

"Come on, Ayeka," Sasami said, grabbing her sister's hands and pulling her up. "We have to hurry. They're about to start!"

"Okay, okay, I'm ready now."

"Tenchi's waiting downstairs with our mothers," she said, letting go of Ayeka's hands and running out into the hall. "We're supposed to meet them there. We have to wait to get introduced before we can sit down," the young princess said, slightly disgusted.

Ayeka smiled, shutting her door and starting down the hall. "It's all part of the ceremony."

"I still think it's stupid. They won't even let me sit by Tenchi."

Ayeka was slightly surprised. "I hadn't thought of that. Where is he sitting?"

"Next to Mother Funaho, on the other side of father."

"And you and I sit with our Mother, right?" Ayeka grumbled. Sasami nodded. A deep, low growl started to form in Ayeka's throat. "Father and his stupid blood lines."

"Ayeka," Sasami said, tugging on Ayeka's sleeve. "You're turning red. But what does it mean?"

"Tenchi is Brother Yosho's grandson, right? Father wants everybody at the dinner to see the different blood lines. Lady Misaki is our mother, so we sit on her side of the table. Tenchi is Lady Funaho's great-grandson, so he sits next to her. It's politics."

"Well I think we should be able to sit where ever we want."

"Yes, but we're princesses, so we have to follow tradition sometimes."

Sasami sighed. "I like it better on Earth. The people there aren't so stuffy all the time."

Ayeka chuckled. "You know, Sasami, I think you're right."

"Wow, Ayeka," Tenchi said as the princesses entered the waiting room, "that's a great dress!"

"I told you," whispered Sasami, smiling.

"You look very nice, as well, Lord Tenchi," Ayeka bowed.

"Gee, ya' think so?" Tenchi said, scratching the back of his head and looking down at the traditional Juraian attire the Queen's had chosen for him. "I don't know, I feel kinda' silly, actually."

"You look great, Tenchi!" said Sasami, walking up to him and smiling.

"Thanks, Sasami."

"You're planning on making quite the impression tonight, aren't you, Ayeka?" Funaho asked as Ayeka sat down on the couch next to Misaki.

"If you're referring to the dress, it's the only thing I had that no one has seen before, that's all."

"I think it's adorable," said Misaki, tracing one of the golden dragons with her finger.

"It's certainly cute," Funaho said, "but it doesn't exactly say 'First Princesses of Jurai,' now does it?"

Ayeka gently slapped Misaki's hand off her dress. "Everybody knows who I am already, and they all know I've been on Earth, so what's wrong with showing them a little of that planet's fashion?"

Funaho chuckled. "I'm just saying that it's definitely something different, that's all."

"And what's this I hear about our seating arrangements? Sasami was telling me that Father has us sitting on opposite ends of the table."

"That's right," said Lady Funaho. "You two will sit next to Misaki on the right side of the King, and Tenchi and I will be on his left. Sasami, you will sit next to your mother. And Ayeka, Seiryo will be sitting next to you."

"WHAT!?" shouted Ayeka, jumping to her feet and nearly knocking Misaki off the couch.

"Oh no, Ayeka," said Sasami, covering her mouth. "Be careful about your dress!"

"Do you mean to tell me that he will be here tonight?"

"Of course he will. You know your father has selected him for you." She chuckled and winked at Misaki, who smiled back. "You didn't think he would give up that easily, now did you?"

"But. . . but. . ."

"It was your father's idea. We had nothing to do with it."

She slowly sat down again, chewing on her thumbnail. "Things might get a little. . . awkward," she muttered.

Tenchi sighed and collapsed into an overstuffed chair. "He's probably going to want a rematch. And no Mihoshi this time around." From the other room, they could hear the orchestra begin tuning up their instruments, and the muffled sounds of isolated conversation as the guests started to filter into the great banquet hall.

"It sounds like they're starting," Sasami said, sitting down next to Ayeka. Tenchi felt a knot of apprehension forming in his gut. Misaki looked at the clock on the wall.

"Right on time!"

"Well," Lady Funaho said, standing and stretching, "another fifteen minutes or so and we make our 'grand entrance.'"

"Fifteen minutes!" cried Sasami. Tenchi groaned as well. He couldn't stand the waiting.

"Yes, dear," Funaho said, smiling. "Everyone else has to show up and get settled first."

"But I'm getting hungry."

"Me too!" said Misaki, standing. "I'll have some snacks brought in." She went over to the hallway door and poked her head out, apparently talking to a servant. The knot in Tenchi's stomach tightened, and he wasn't certain if he could keep any food down.

That would be great, he thought, upchucking in front of the entire royal court. That would be a good one for the newspapers.

"Are you feeling all right, Tenchi?" Sasami asked, watching him worriedly. "You look a little pale."

"No, I'm fine," he said, sitting up straight in the oversized chair and smoothing down his outlandish clothes. "Just a little nervous."

"There's nothing to worry about, Lord Tenchi," said Ayeka. "Just be yourself and everything will be fine."

Tenchi's stomach did another flop. "That's easy for you to say. You've been doing this ever since you were born. I'm just an ordinary Earth boy who didn't even go to his school dances."

The door slammed shut, and they all turned as Misaki walked back into the room, a large tray filled with hors d'oeuvre's in her hands.

"I've got the snacks!"

"I see," said Ayeka, biting the tip off a slice of cheese. "I suppose that does make more sense then what I was thinking." Sasami nodded her head in agreement, sipping soda water through a straw.

"Be careful not to spill any of that, Sasami," Misaki said, taking a piece of cheese for herself.

"So you see," Tenchi said, leaning back in his chair, "it's not. . ."

He was interrupted by a gentle knock at the hall door. It opened halfway, and an older gentleman peeked inside. "It is almost time, your highnesses."

"Oh good!" Misaki said, setting down the uneaten portion of her cheese and standing up. Funaho also rose and stepped over to the large double doors that opened to the banquet hall.

"You kids remember the order, don't you?" she said, performing a few last minute touch-up's on her gown.

"Yes, mother," Ayeka said shortly. "I haven't been out of the loop for that long."

Tenchi wondered briefly how one could consider seven hundred years 'not that long.'

"I was in stasis, remember?" Ayeka growled, glaring at Tenchi and leaving him wondering if he'd thought out loud or not. A fanfare of trumpets erupted in the hall, and he jumped out of his chair and straightened out his suit. He lined up behind Ayeka and Sasami, who were standing behind their mothers. There was another fanfare from the orchestra, and the large wooden doors swung open.

Tenchi had never seen so much luxury in his life. The hall was enormous, with dozens of brightly lit crystal chandeliers hanging from the exposed beams of the vaulted ceiling. A second look revealed that the beams were actually the branches of a great tree that stood in the center of the room, and the ceiling was in fact that very tree's leaves. Three tables were sitting under the great tree's branches; one on a raised dais just to the right of the waiting room's doors, with chairs set on one side, facing into the room, the King of Jurai seated in the center; and two longer, but narrower, tables arranged on either side of the tree's massive trunk, perpendicular to the dais. All three were adorned with brightly polished plates and crystal goblets rimmed with gold. Immaculately carved wooden candelabras stood in the center of each table, casting a gently dancing glow across the white tablecloths and onto the polished floor.

As the doors slammed back against the wall, the guests rose from their seats, watching the royal party with respect. Tenchi's gut flopped again as a well dressed, elderly man stepped forward. The announcer cleared his throat and gestured to the Queen's party.

"The Queens of Jurai, Misaki and Funaho."

The two ladies smiled and stepped from the doorway, walking slowly but firmly to the table that was set on the dais. Azusa, King of Jurai, rose form his massive chair and welcomed his wives, helping them both in turn to their seats. Funaho smiled at Tenchi, and winked at him as she sat, folding her napkin into her lap.

"The first Princess of Jurai, Ayeka," boomed the servants voice.

Ayeka walked out into the hall (or courtyard, thought Tenchi, either description would work), carrying herself as properly as ever. Every head in the place turned as she walked, the golden threads in her dress casting light across the open expanse of the room. She kissed her father on the cheek as she passed his seat, congratulating him on his anniversary. Azusa's eyes widened as he looked her dress over, and his jaw started to form some words, but he cut them off. She smiled and headed for her seat. Her smile froze as she noticed Seiryo, the pink-haired fop, standing next to her chair. He bowed slightly and pulled her seat back from the table, gesturing for the princess to sit. Ayeka grimaced, and begrudgingly took her seat.

"The Princess Sasami."

Sasami giggled and practically bounced up to the table, kissing her father as well before sitting down between Ayeka and her mother. Tenchi gulped.

"The first Prince of Jurai, Tenchi."

He took a deep breath and stepped into the banquet hall. A great hush fell over the room, and Tenchi could feel every eye on him as he walked briskly to the King's table. Misaki grinned and flashed him the "V" sign as he stepped onto the dais. Azusa frowned and looked away, and Tenchi suddenly realized he had no idea if he was supposed to say anything to the King before he sat or not. The girls had, but they were his children. He gulped and decided to play it safe. He approached the King and bowed.

"Your Highness," he said, trying not to sound nervous and sounding nervous in the process, "Congratulations on your, um. . . on your anniversary."

Azusa didn't look at him, and simply made a small sort of grunting sound that Tenchi took as a dismissal. He bowed again and quickly took his seat next to Funaho, grateful to take the load off of his shaking legs. Funaho patted him on the leg as he settled into his seat. Tenchi looked up as he heard the heavy wooden doors shut, and the guests once again took their seats. He looked around the room at the various people in attendance. Most were human, but there were a few who were not. All were well dressed and carried themselves well. Tenchi noticed that the honored few who had the privilege to sit at the King's table were the most noble-looking of the crowd. Five guests were seated to his left; an older gentleman and his wife, and a younger, rich-looking couple with their bored teenage son. He looked to the other end of the table and saw three nobles beyond Ayeka and Seiryo. Sasami looked at him and smiled. Tenchi smiled back and waved.

The quiet conversation that had begun to fill the room was interrupted as Azusa cleared his throat and stood, his massive chair scrapping against the floor.

"Thank you all for coming tonight," he began, his deep voice effortlessly filling the great hall. "While it is a momentous occasion that we have gathered to celebrate, my wives have asked that I not bore you all with longwinded speech. I agree with them, so for now, let's eat." Conveniently hidden doors on either side of the hall swung open as the King sat back down, and dozens of servants emerged carrying a variety of food and drink. They first set up the King's table, serving up a feast of roast meat (it resembled beef) or fish, depending on the guest's preference. The side dishes were plentiful and exotic.

After serving the head table, the waiters made their way to the guest tables, and the feast began in earnest. Tenchi looked the table over, feeling very out of place. The entire arrangement was quite different from the informal family dinners that he was used to, and even different from the practice dinners he and Ayeka had held on Ryu-oh. The first thing he noticed was. . .

"No chop-sticks?" he asked Funaho, quietly from the side of his mouth. The Queen chuckled.

"Not tonight," she said, picking up her fork and knife and cutting into her roast.

"You know," Tenchi said, picking up his utensils, "I'd always figured Jurai resembled the eastern culture's of Earth, like Japan. So what's with the western-style feast?"

"More like Japan resembles Jurai," Funaho said. She took a sip of wine. "I imagine the King simply felt like something a little different. Something to break up the old formality a little." She smiled and glanced at Ayeka, who was doing her best to ignore Seiryo's advances. The golden dragons danced in the candlelight as she hastily ate her meal, keeping her mouth full so she wouldn't have to talk to the pink-haired noble. Sasami and Misaki kept glancing at the two and chuckling. Ayeka was clearly perturbed, but Seiryo didn't seem to notice as he blabbered on about something no-one else cared about. Even as she stuffed her face, she managed to keep herself dignified. Tenchi was awed by how natural the princesses looked, decked out in their expensive dresses and surrounded by luxury, seated in places of honor. He realized he was staring.

"She's more like her father then she realizes."

Tenchi dropped his fork. "I'm sorry," he said, grabbing his utensil and looking around to make sure no-one had noticed, "what was that?"

"Nothing," Funaho said, cutting another piece of meat. Tenchi sighed and looked down at his plate, which was piled high with expensive-looking food. He was not hungry. Not in the least. Besides, his gut was such a nervous mess at the moment, he wasn't sure he could hold anything down anyway. He sighed again and cut a small slice of fish (sea salmon?) and placed it in his mouth.

"Damn," he mumbled, then placed his hand over his mouth and looked around, remembering where he was. Funaho chuckled softly, not looking at him.

"Mister Liu is quite the master, isn't he?"

"I'll say," Tenchi said, eating another cut of fish. Maybe he could hold some down after all. He took a drink of his wine (which was sweeter than other western wines he had tasted) and looked again at Ayeka. She was still ignoring Seiryo, who was still ignoring the fact that he was being ignored. She placed her last piece of potato in her mouth and brushed back her bangs. He realized this was one of the few times he had seen her with her hair down. She looked good like that.

Azusa suddenly leaned forward in his seat, reaching for the wine pitcher, blocking Ayeka from Tenchi's view. The King glared at Tenchi, who turned quickly back to his food and indulged in his meal with new-found zeal. Azusa grunted and poured himself another glass of wine. Misaki smoothed down his hair and took the amphora from him, refilling her own goblet and saying something to Azusa that Tenchi couldn't hear over the buzz of conversation.

Tenchi sighed, finishing off the fish and starting in on the salad, his stomach suddenly not feeling all that good again.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"What a backwards little planet this is," whined Amos as he slowed the ship's descent, "There aren't even any landing beacons to home in on."

"It's a Jurai protected zone," Rodger said, watching Amos's landing sequence with care, "It's a developing planet. We're not even supposed to be here."

"I don't care," Shinjiro said, pacing back and forth across the deck.

Adrian downed a shot of Sake` and cursed. "Just as long as I get my money."

"You will."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Mihoshi gripped Ryo-Chan tight as she watched Lord Katsuhito wipe Ryoko's forehead with a damp cloth. The little cabit-girl meowed pitifully as she tried to pry herself from Mihoshi's grip and watch over Ryoko at the same time. Katsuhito folded a comforter over Ryoko and looked over at the girls.

"I think she will be fine in a little while."

Mihoshi nodded and wiped away a tear. Ryo-Chan broke free of her grip and padded over to Ryoko's side, looking at the pirate with huge, water filled eyes. Katsuhito placed a hand on her head.

"Do you know what is wrong with her, Ryo-oh-ki?" he asked.

Ryo-Chan sniffed and shook her head.

Mihoshi suddenly exploded in tears. "First Sasami, and now Ryoko, too!"

Katsuhito sighed. "Yes, it has been a little odd around here recently, hasn't it?" The old man stood. "Well, I should check on Washu again."

"No need for that," Washu said, topping the stairs and entering Ryoko's room.

"Good," Katsuhito said, sitting back down, "that saves me a trip downstairs."

"Miss Washu!" cried Mihoshi, "You're alright! I was really worried!" Ryo-Chan meowed in agreement.

Washu collapsed into one of the giant carrot-cushions that were strewn about the room. "Thanks for your concern, Mihoshi, but I'm not better yet. And I'm afraid Ryoko's pretty bad off, as well."

Mihoshi looked quite worried.

Katsuhito arched an eyebrow. "What's this, Washu?"

"I can't be one-hundred percent certain until I can run some tests, but it would seem that Ryoko's gems are losing their power."

"What!?" Mihoshi shouted, clasping her hands over her mouth. "That's terrible!"

"Hmm," mumbled Katsuhito, looking from Washu to Ryoko. Ryo-Chan's lower lip trembled as she started to cry, wiping Ryoko's forehead down. Washu folded her legs and leaned forward.

"Yes, it's very terrible."

"But without her jewels," Mihoshi said, her eyes tearing up again, "Ryoko won't be able to fly, or make a sword, or anything, will she?"

"It's a little worse than that, I'm afraid," Washu said, looking at everyone's face. "Without the power from the gems, Ryoko will die."

"OH NO!" Mihoshi bawled, covering her face in her hands. Ryo-Chan burst into tears. Washu reached over and took her into her arms.

"I know," Washu said softly. "I know."

Katsuhito stroked his chin, then stood. "Washu, we need to talk." He looked down at Mihoshi. "Mihoshi, could you watch over Ryoko and Ryo-oh-ki for a while, please?"

Mihoshi sniffed and nodded, taking Ryo-Chan from Washu. Katsuhito helped Washu to her feet, and they headed downstairs to the living room.

"What is going on here, Washu?"

The red-headed genius plopped onto the couch and leaned against the arm rest. "I'm sorry, Lord Katsuhito," she said, rubbing the side of her head and wincing, "but I don't have all the answers this time."

"I don't want all the answers," he said, sitting down beside her. "Just tell me what you think you know."

"This isn't like me at all," Washu said, looking up and wiping a small tear from her eye. "I can't think straight at the moment."

"Tell me about Ryoko's jewels."

"Ah, the jewels," she said, laughing. "The only mystery that I've never been able to solve over time." She sighed and closed her eyes. "I created Ryoko to take full advantage of their power. The gems are what give her life, her power, what make her immortal. She was my ultimate achievement, but I was never able to figure out the power of the gems. I couldn't even copy them. After a while, I was able to make fake gems, but their power was far less than that of the originals. Kagato figured all this out as well, and became obsessed by it all, but you know his story."

"Yes, but where did they come from?"

Washu laughed and fell back into the couch, throwing up her hands. "I don't know! Clay asked me the same thing. He was even more confused about it all than you are." She sat up again. "I don't know. I've always had them, ever since I was. . . since I was a little girl."

"Did your parents give them to you?"

Washu shook her head slowly, staring straight ahead. "I never had any parents."

"You were an orphan?"

"Can we not talk about this?"

"If it will help Ryoko, we must."

"It won't help. If the gems really are losing their power, there's nothing I can do."

"You're giving up, then?"

Washu bowed her head.

Katsuhito nodded and looked away.

"I've been working on those damned gems my entire life," Washu said, her voice quiet. "That's over twenty-thousand years. I don't know anything about them."

"I thought you knew everything."

"Goddamnit! Quit pushing me."

"I'm trying to help."

Washu rose from the couch and walked over to the window, looking out on the lake. The moon was just starting to rise over the mountains, casting its gentle glow over the valley.

"Do you know why I'm still alive, even though I'm living on earth, cut off from the power of the Royal Trees?"

"The gems are sustaining Funaho," Washu said quietly, watching the moonlight dance across the lake.

"You know, then?"

"I only suspect," she sighed, "I can't prove. I don't really want to, either."

"What's this?" Katsuhito said, rising from the couch. "The greatest scientific genius in the universe is allowing a mystery to slip away un-investigated?"

The moon lifted over the top of the mountains, and Washu turned from the window to lean against the bookshelves. "I learned long ago to let the gems be. I don't question them anymore. They just are. I've had them long enough, and they brought me no answers. That's why I passed them on to Ryoko." She smiled and chuckled, looking over at Katsuhito. "And Yosho passed them on to Tenchi."

Katsuhito crossed the great room and took Washu's place in front of the window. "So now you study Tenchi instead of the gems?"

"That time with Kagato, and again with Clay. I've only seen it once before."

"His Light Hawk Wings?"

Washu nodded. "Without access to a Royal Tree." She rubbed her head again and sighed. "But Ryoko never used them, and Kagato never suspected, so I must have been wrong."

"Lady Funaho suspects the same thing."

Washu laughed. "Yes, she would, wouldn't she?"

The world outside suddenly brightened, and a howling wind tore at the surface of the lake, beating against the side of the house. Katsuhito looked skyward, and nodded. "It looks as if our guests have arrived."

The Amos settled down gently in the lake, floating next to the large dock that extended from the house. Adrian keyed in a sequence on Amos's control panel, and the ship shut itself down. Rodger looked over some data that was fed to his screen, and he nodded at Shinjiro, who stood and headed for the door.

"What do you want us to do?" Rodger asked as the doors slid open for Shinjiro. The Officer paused and shrugged.

"Just keep the engines warm. This shouldn't take that long." He stepped into the hall, and the doors closed behind him.

Adrian sniffed and settled back in his chair. "Guy thinks he's a damned hero."

Rodger shook his head. "He does seem to have changed, doesn't he?"

"Ah, we don't know a thing about him. If it wasn't for the money, I'd say we just dump him here. Better off without him."

"Maybe, I don't know."

Shinjiro paused in front of the port airlock before opening the doors. "Well, Hakubi," he muttered to himself, punching the keypad, "Here we go."

The computer ran a quick pressure and atmosphere check, decided that the outside air was fine, and opened both sets of doors on the airlock at the same time. Shinjiro was struck by a rush of warm, fresh air. . .

. . .A breath of warm air, breathed deep into his soul, pulsing, surging, filling him with newfound strength. . .

. . .And stepped from the Amos onto the dock that adjoined the house. He looked around and sighed. There was no sign of detective Mihoshi anywhere. Oh well, he thought, wasn't really looking forward to meeting her anyway.

A door on the side of the house slid open, and Shinjiro turned to see an old man with glasses standing in the doorway.

"Hello, my friend," the man said, stepping to the side of the door. "Why don't you come inside and have some tea? I just put the water on now."

Shinjiro blinked in surprise, then reminded himself that Mihoshi and Ryoko had been living with these people for quite a while now. They were probably quite well adjusted, for natives. Shinjiro bowed at the old man, as was Juraian tradition.

"Thank you, father." He stood straight, and crossed the deck. He stopped in front of the old man and smiled. "My name is Lieutenant Shinjiro Yakagamo, of the Galaxy Police. I have been looking for a suspected criminal by the name of Washu Hakubi. Is she here? I have some questions I would like to ask her."

"Katsuhito Masaki," the man said, bowing. "Yes, Washu is inside, but I must insist you leave your weapons by the door. No matter the justification, I never allow violence in my house, when I can help it."

Shinjiro started to object, then smiled and handed over his G.P. issue blaster. Katsuhito took the weapon with a nod and set it on the small table behind him. Shinjiro kicked his shoes off and started to enter the house, but Katsuhito's hand on his shoulder brought him up short. Shinjiro turned to look at the old man, who shook his head.

"Your other ones, as well, please."

Shinjiro sighed. Never underestimate the natives, he told himself. "I trust Miss Washu is disarmed as well?" he asked, handing over his other pistol and two ankle knives.

"Of course," Katsuhito said, taking the weapons and gesturing for the officer to go ahead inside.

It was a very nice house, by any planet's standards. The door Shinjiro had entered through led to what was obviously the main living area. It wasn't very large, but felt right, with high ceilings and exposed beams. He looked around, actually admiring the cozy feel of the room. His eyes fell on the couch that faced toward the large bay of windows. And she waved at him.

. . .The way she looked at him, as if to say. . .

"Hey there!" she said, grinning.

----------------------------------------------------------------

He just would not shut up! She hadn't said more than half a dozen words to him all night, but the pompous fool didn't seem to notice (or care) that she was doing her best to ignore him. And he just wouldn't shut up!

Ayeka dropped her napkin on the table and stood. That got a reaction, at least.

"Lady Ayeka, what is it?" Seiryo asked as the Princess stepped away from the table.

"I'm sorry, Seiryo," she said, "but I must excuse myself for a moment."

"But I was just getting to the good part."

Ayeka was barely able to contain a grimace. "I'll be back in a minute," she lied, "and you may finish your story then."

"Alright," Seiryo said with a flourish, "but don't keep me waiting too long!" He then turned to the noble at his right and started into another equally dull and un-important story. Ayeka sighed and walked away from the table. Sasami and Misaki looked up at her as she passed by. She just nodded her head at them and rolled her eyes.

Azusa glanced at her as she walked by, then returned to the conversation he was having with the noble who was kneeling by his chair. Funaho watched her pass, and smiled. Ayeka barely glanced at Tenchi, not wanting to make any more of a scene than she already was. She felt him turn to watch her, and could picture the questioning look on his face, but kept walking. She stepped from the dais, knowing that many of the guests would be watching her as well. It was a little odd, after all, for the first princess to leave the table during the meal. She didn't really care at this point, though.

She approached the doors to the waiting room, and a doorman opened one of the doors for her. Ayeka smiled to herself, remembering how nice it was to have so many servants. She entered the waiting room, and the door shut behind her. She sighed and fell back against the heavy wooden door. That Seiryo had really gotten to her, more than she'd realized.

"It wouldn't have been that bad if he'd actually had something to say," she mumbled, trying not to grate her teeth. She rested there for a moment, her eyes closed, then stood and smoothed down her dress. She crossed the small waiting room and went into the hall, the muffled sounds of the feast drifting down the empty corridor. She paused, looking first one way, then the other.

"Drat," she sighed. "Which way was the powder room?"

She went left. She had only gone a few steps when she noticed that the noise from the party had changed slightly. She paused, trying to figure out what it was that seemed different, when someone screamed.

Tenchi looked up from his meal as Ayeka stepped off the dais and walked over to the waiting room.

"Where is she going?" he asked as the doors closed behind her.

"Well," Funaho said, watching a few other women in the hall get up to leave also, "the dancing will begin shortly, so I'd imagine she's freshening up."

"Dancing!?" He dropped his fork again.

Funaho chuckled. "You didn't think we'd just sit around and eat all night, did you?"

"But. . . er. . ."

A jumble of action from the other end of the table caught their attention, and they both looked up. Misaki was snatching up an overturned goblet while at the same time trying to avoid the wine that was running off the edge of the table. Sasami was staring straight ahead, her arm resting on the table, apparently stunned that she had just knocked over a glass. A few of the other guests had noticed the commotion and were looking on, slightly amused.

"Oh no," Funaho chuckled, sipping her own wine. "She's still just a child, isn't she?"

"Her sleeve is going to get stained," Tenchi said.

"Oh, you're right," Funaho said, setting down her goblet. The puddle of wine was spreading, getting dangerously close to Sasami's arm. Sasami still hadn't moved. "Misaki," Funaho said, waving at her sister. "Her sleeve?"

Misaki looked at Funaho, a soaked napkin in one hand and the empty goblet in the other, then noticed where Funaho was pointing.

"Oh!," she cried, dropping the napkin and glass and snatching Sasami's arm away from the invading puddle of red. Azusa sighed and shook his head, gesturing for one of the waiters.

Tenchi set his fork down, watching Misaki try keep the wine from spreading while keeping it off of her dress and Sasami's. A few muffled chuckles rose from the guest tables. "That's odd," Tenchi said.

"What's that?" Funaho asked, patting Azusa's arm as he gingerly righted the goblet Misaki had dropped.

"Sasami," Tenchi said. "She's just sitting there."

And then the little princess started to shake. At first, very slightly, and Misaki gasped, grabbing hold of Sasami's shoulders and pulling her close. Sasami's eyes stared straight ahead, wide open but seeing nothing, and her shaking started to grow worse. Azusa leaned forward in his seat and dropped his fork, his brow furling.

"Shit, not again," Tenchi said, pushing his chair back and getting to his feet. Funaho looked at him, and rose from her seat as well, resting a hand on her husband's shoulder. Someone in the room suddenly screamed, and a hush fell over the great hall.

Sasami's seizure grew markedly worse, and she gave a couple of great lurches before suddenly falling completely still, collapsing into Misaki's arms. Misaki gripped her daughter tight, pulling her up into her lap, and turned to stare at Azusa with wide eyes. The King looked back at her, not knowing what to say. Everyone looked back at Sasami, who was still staring straight ahead, beads of sweat forming on her forehead and starting to trickle down her face.

"Sasami. . ." Funaho said, squeezing Azusa's shoulder tighter. The guests started to murmur. Tenchi stood there, watching and realizing how Ryoko must have felt. . .

The marks on Sasami's forehead started to glow, and her eyes opened wider (if it was even possible). Her jaw started to work up and down, and she shrunk onto her mother's lap slightly. A servant approached Misaki, kneeling beside the Queen and placing a hand on Sasami's back.

Suddenly the marks seemed to explode with light, and Sasami went rigid, her mouth opening and closing faster and faster. She closed her eyes tight and grabbed the sides of her head.

"Washu one-sama!" she screamed, the words echoing throughout the great hall, causing the candles to flicker and go out, "where are you?!"

And she went limp, folding into her mother's arms.

End of Part 1