Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Gravity of Love ❯ Cycle - 1.4: Waiting for You ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Tenchi Muyo, but I'm saving my money and one day I will
own it. So don't sue me because some day I'll be your boss. Oh yeah, I didn't
create Tenchi Muyo either, some guys named Masaki Kajishima and Hiroki Hayashi did. I don't own the song Gravity of Love either. This song was written and performed by Enigma and is on their album, Screen Behind the Mirror. I'd like to thank them for helping inspire this fic and I hope they don't sue me (especially after I just plugged them). Any way on to the fic.


==============

Tenchi Muyo!

Gravity of Love

Cycle 1.4

Waiting for You

==============

Tenchi sat at the desk in his room, hard at work. It was very late at night but that didn't matter. There was important work that needed to be done.

"Tenchi," a soft voice said behind him.

He turned to see Ayeka lying on his bed, completely nude. Her supple and graceful form was highlighted by the full moon shining though the circular
window behind the bed. Her eyes bore into him, beckoning him to come to her. Desire washed through him.

"Tenchi, what are you doing? Come over here," she purred. "I'm so very lonely. I've been alone for such a long time, please don't leave me by myself any longer."

Tenchi smiled and put his pencil down. Work was important but some things were far more important. Some things needed to be taken care of right away.

He slowly walked across the carpeted floor towards the bed. Ayeka leaned forward and closed her eyes in anticipation. Tenchi closed his eyes and moved in for the kiss.

A pair of strong hands closed over Tenchi's throat. He choked on his pain and shock. His eyes shot open. Instead of the soft features of Ayeka's face he was treated to the tear filled visage of Ryoko. Her teeth were gritted, her eyes locked with his, accusing him of everything.

"Ryoko!" Tenchi managed to breathe out.

"Why did you do it Tenchi?" she whispered. "Why did you kill me?"

"What are you talking about? You're still alive," he struggled to speak. "I haven't done anything to you."

"You're going to," she snapped. "What did you think your little decision would do to me?"

"I'm sorry," he gasped. "I never meant to hurt you."

"And I suppose that's supposed to make everything better right?" she asked angrily. "Well guess what? It doesn't. And I'm going do to you *exactly* what *you* did to me!"


Ryoko's hands began to slowly crush Tenchi's throat. He tried to pry her hands off, but she was far too strong for him. Tenchi's breathing stopped and his world began to grow dark...

* * *

Tenchi's eyes snapped open and he quickly sat up. He was panting and covered in sweat.


It had only been a dream. He was still on his futon and safe within the confines of Ryo-ohki. Ryoko was lightly snoring and Ayeka was mumbling something to herself in a language that Tenchi couldn't recognize. Everything was normal. Everything was okay.

Tenchi settled back down onto his futon. 'Dreams, what do they know?' he thought to himself.

Yet Tenchi couldn't shake the feeling that this dream meant something more. He hadn't said anything to Ayeka after he'd freed her from the force field trap on Kiagara's ship. He was pretty sure that he thought he was in love with her only because he was afraid of losing her. If it had been any one of the other girls he was sure that his reaction would have been the same. He didn't want to lose any them; the idea that it was even possible terrified him to his core.

But at that time he was absolutely certain that he was in love with her, like it was the one sure thing in the universe.

Now however Tenchi was merely confused. He couldn't figure out exactly what had happened on that ship.

Tenchi was never very good at figuring things out; confusion and frustration were with him more often than clarity and insight. Now it seemed that they had come back with a vengeance.

"No Mommy, I want to wear the pajamas with the feet," Ayeka mumbled.

Tenchi turned to look at her. Ayeka certainly was beautiful, one of the most beautiful women he had ever seen. Before the girls had come he had never had a girlfriend or really even talked much to girls, so when half a dozen girls had come to live with him he suddenly found himself in way over his head. Ayeka's beauty, combined with the fact that she was a princess, made her seem sort of intimidating.

Ayeka was different than anybody he had met before. There were layers to her. On the outside Ayeka was exactly what you would expect a princess to be. She was polite, proper, and modest. Beneath that Ayeka was someone who kept her emotions repressed. All that pent up frustration and anger needed to be released. So sometimes she would `explode,' often in Ryoko's direction.

But beneath that Ayeka was someone who'd been hurt. Yosho, his grandfather, had abandoned her. He had left her with out even telling her how he felt. Tenchi sort of understood how horrible she must have felt. He had lost someone that he loved too once.

Deeper still Ayeka had a quiet center of strength in her, like the eye of a storm. Ayeka could draw on that strength when she needed it. Like when she went with him to save Ryoko from Kagato or when she told him to leave on Kiagara's ship. He admired and respected Ayeka for that.

Yes, he admired and respected Ayeka, but that wasn't love. He cared for Ayeka deeply as well, but he cared for all the girls. They were all very dear to him. Perhaps that was a type of love. So he did love Ayeka, just not in a romantic fashion.

At least he thought it wasn't romantic. He was attracted to her sure enough and sometimes he thought about doing, well... *it* with her. So he couldn't say that he loved her in family sense exactly. He didn't feel entirely platonic about her either; he was interested. That left only one option in his mind but he wasn't entirely sure about that.

However, it was very late and he was very tired. Explanations could wait
till much later. Tenchi turned over and went back to sleep.

* * *

The first thing Washu felt when she came to was pain. Her head felt like it had been spilt open by an axe. Soon after that the beautiful, delicious sensation that only painkillers could bring came over her. The clearing of her mind followed this as her memories of what had happened previously returned to her. She smelled the recycled air as her eyes began to focus.

"Hey, I think she's waking up," a certain cheerful, melodic voice exclaimed. The owner of that voice was the bane of Washu's existence, the one who couldn't help but to push every button she saw. The one that no security system ever invented or ever to be invented could stop. The one who had managed to destroy more experiments in a few years than all the ones Washu and her assistants had accidentally destroyed in their entire lifetimes. Washu concluded that she must have died and gone to hell.

Her eyes focused on the two sets of blue eyes staring down at her.

"So Kiyone got dragged to hell with me," Washu said.

"I think the drugs are still working through her system," Kiyone commented.

Washu sat up and shook her head. "Where am I?"

"You're in Yagami's medical bay," Mihoshi answered.

"Kiagara?"

"She's fully recovered from her injuries but we're keeping her in stasis," Kiyone said. "We felt it was safest this way."

Washu nodded in agreement. She hopped off her bed walked over to the stasis tube. She stared at the nude Kiagara floating in the green stasis liquid and sighed. "Is there any way for me to perform a brain scan on her? I need to know what she knows."

"Um, we're really not supposed to do that kind of thing," said Kiyone. "It's against regulations and the sort of thing that could land us all in prison."

"And we'll find out everything when she's questioned. So it's really not necessary," stated Mihoshi.

"No you won't," commented Washu. "Kiagara's memories will be erased before anyone can question her. We should try to get information out of her now if we can."

Mihoshi and Kiyone gave her a puzzled look.

"How do you know that?" Kiyone asked.

"Kiagara was working for Tokimi," Washu explained. "The same person that Clay worked for. After the 'Zero incident' both Clay's and Zero's memories had been erased of any information related to Tokimi. It seems reasonable that the same will happen to Kiagara."

"Kiagara worked for Tokimi?" Mihoshi asked.

Washu groaned in annoyance. "Yeah, didn't Ryoko tell you that?"

"No," said Kiyone.

"Figures," said Washu. She summoned her holotop. "Any ways I have to
perform that scan now."

Kiyone shook her head. "No, can't let you do that. Like I said, it's illegal."

Washu winked at her. "We're just checking to make sure she doesn't have any brain injuries."

Kiyone smiled. "Nice try little Washu, but I still don't think-"

"And there's really not a lot either one of you could do to stop me."

She knew when she was beat. "All right, fine, I'll go along with you for now," Kiyone sighed. "Go ahead and *check* her again."


"Huh?" said Mihoshi. "I thought we already checked her for brain injuries."

Kiyone sighed deeply and heavily and felt an itching sensation on the back of her head. "Yeah, but we could have *missed* something." She nudged her partner with her elbow for emphasis.

"Ohhhh," said Mihoshi. "Well then, we better check just to make sure."
She added with a wink.

Washu groaned and began her scan.

After about fifteen minutes of scanning Kiyone began to get nervous. "Um, Miss Washu, why is this taking so long?"

"I want to get as much information as I possibly can," explained Washu.

"You do know that everything is recorded in a stasis tube? My superiors will know that you've scanned Kiagara for fifteen minutes."

"Not a problem, I can always hack into the records and alter them," said Washu.

Kiyone sighed and placed her hand to her head. "Just in case my superiors ask, what kind of medical training do you have?"

"None."

"None?!"

"I have no medical training at all. I just figured it out from studying biology and such, pretty easy for someone like me."

"Wow, that's pretty impressive," commented Mihoshi.

"So I'm supposed to tell my superiors that I let someone with no medical training scan a prisoner's brain?" asked Kiyone.

"Relax," said Mihoshi. "I'm sure if we tell them that Miss Washu is the greatest scientific genius in the universe they'll understand."

"Right," agreed Washu.

Kiyone sighed. "All right, just finish up. All this deceitful stuff is starting to make me uncomfortable."

Washu nodded and continued with her work. Eventually her holotop chimed. "Finished!" Washu exclaimed. She began to study the display intently.

"What did you find out?" asked Mihoshi.

"Just that Kiagara has a normal, healthy brain," said Washu.

"You didn't find anything about her memories?" asked Kiyone.

"Not yet," said Washu. "It will take time to sift through her memories and find anything related to Tokimi, if it's still there. So what happens to her next?"

"She'll be sent to HQ on an automated transit shuttle for holding until her trial. She'll most likely be found guilty; there are enough witnesses to make the charges stick. After that she'll be sentenced to a penal colony," said Kiyone.

Washu sighed. "I don't like the idea of sending her to a penal colony. Those places aren't exactly nice."

"Don't worry about that," said Mihoshi. "Since she broke the law in Juraian territory she'll be sent to a Juraian penal colony. They're not as bad as most, and they're very safe."

"How long will she be in there?" Washu asked.

"Well kidnapping, assault with deadly intent, and resisting arrest are pretty serious charges on their own. The fact that she did it in a non-interference zone only makes it worse," said Kiyone. "She'll probably be in there for a few decades at the least."

"What the hell happened to her?" asked Washu. "The Kiagara I knew was a good woman, she would never do anything like this."

"If we could figure out what makes people criminals we'd find a way to stop it," Kiyone said. Mihoshi nodded in agreement."

Damn," said Washu. "Ryoko was right about her. She's not going to let me live this down."

* * *

Tenchi took Mayuka on the 'tour.'

The infant had been crying almost all night and he couldn't get her to calm down. He had feed her and changed her, yet she continued to cry. His only remaining option was to walk her through the house till she fell asleep. If one of the girls had been in this situation they would have tried singing her to sleep, but he didn't have enough faith in his own vocal prowess to try that.

Earlier that day Tenchi and the others had returned home from their journey. After a brief period of rest each one of them returned to their daily routine.

Tenchi had not confronted his dream or what had happened on Kiagara's ship since last night. He had simply been too wrapped up in his routine. Now that he was up late at night he found himself coming around to the thoughts that had been nibbling at the back of his mind.

It was true that he had never been more scared in his life on that day. He had become very attached to these girls over the years. If one of them should leave him... well, he didn't know what he'd do.

Tenchi sighed. He knew that one-day things would have to change. The good times never seem to last. The girls would move on with their lives without him and he'd be left alone with his daughter. Or maybe he'd have to pick one of them and the rest would leave.

"Choosing" wasn't something that he liked to think about, because no matter how he chose he was sure somebody would get hurt, and he was the sort of person who would do anything to make sure that no one got hurt. Worse still choosing would cause the one's who had been rejected to leave. The "Choice" was always looming overhead, threatening to destroy the life he had made for himself.

Tenchi paused in the tour. He remembered back when he had that dream and his mom told him that he was afraid to fall in love. Was breaking up his family part of what caused him to be afraid? It didn't seem unreasonable. He really didn't like the idea of things changing around here.

But ultimately he couldn't prevent the change that was coming. The house had become like a dam that was about to burst. He had been trying to prevent those changes for a long time now, but anything he did would only be temporary. There was only so long he could keep his finger stuck in the dam before it burst, and no one was going to fix it for him.

If one cannot prevent change then one must accept it. That sounded like something his grandfather would say, but it was still true. The best he could do was adapt to the change that was coming and stop fighting against it.

Mayuka had finally fallen back asleep. Tenchi quietly made his way back upstairs and gently laid her back into her crib. He then slipped back into bed and hoped that his daughter would allow him to sleep the rest of the night.

* * *

"C'mon," said Ryoko. "It'll be fun."

"I don't know," said Kiyone.

"Please Kiyone," begged Mihoshi. "Ayeka and I are doing it."

"I always end up drunk and naked," Kiyone complained.

"We're just going to the onsen to celebrate our successful rescue of Miss Washu," said Ayeka.

"Yeah, but we're going with three bottles of sake and I don't know my own limits," said Kiyone. "I'm not going to embarrass myself again."

"Those three bottles are for me. You'll have to find your own," said Ryoko.

"Please Kiyone," said Mihoshi. "I promise that I won't let you get drunk."

Kiyone sighed. "All right, all right, I'll go."

* * *

Mihoshi hoisted a drunk, nude Kiyone out of the waters of the onsen. She had passed out and Mihoshi feared that she would drown.

"Once you get her started with the booze she won't stop." Mihoshi shook her head as she sank back into the water. "I'd wish that she'd watch how much she drinks."

"She'll regret that in the morning," said Ayeka.

"How come you two don't pass out? You've both drunk way more than she has," Mihoshi asked.

"It'll take more than a few sips of sake to take me down," Ryoko said proudly.

"And we Juraian women are made of tougher stuff than we appear to be," Ayeka confirmed.

"They need to be in order to keep the other Juraian women happy," Ryoko snorted.

"What do you mean by that?" Ayeka asked.

Ryoko moaned. "Oh, come on princess. Your father has two wives. Two wives! What do you think they do while he's away?" She made a crude and vulgar gesture involving bumping two fists together. "They need to be tough to keep up with the other woman."

"My mothers aren't like that!" Ayeka protested.

Mihoshi pressed a finger to her chin and stared up towards the onsen's dome. "I don't know... I've heard stories."

"Rumors! Rumors!" Ayeka shouted.

"What are you mad about princess?" Ryoko asked. "Nothing wrong with what your mothers are doing?"

"My mothers aren't doing anything!"

"Oh Misaki, they're so soft! Squeezey, squeezey." Ryoko winked at her.

Ayeka waved her hand towards them as if she were dismissing them. "Fine," she said. "I don't have to listen to this. You may continue your base and vulgar conversation without me." She lifted herself out of the water and wobbled towards the changing room. The laughter of her friends trailed at her heels.

* * *

Tenchi essentially had the house all to himself. Sasami and Ryo-ohki had gone off to bed some time ago and Mayuka was spending the night with Washu. The other girls were in the onsen right now, probably drinking and talking. About him. Ryoko had offered him an invitation to join them but he had wisely declined. If he went in there he would be way over his head anyway, and most likely he'd be torn apart by two arguing, half-naked girls. As much has that idea might seem appealing he decided it wasn't the best thing for him. No, it would be better if he just stayed up to watch the evening news.

"Ten-chi."

Tenchi turned to see Ayeka standing in the doorway. She walked towards him. He could tell by her disheveled appearance, uneasy gait, and the big smile plastered on her face that she was drunk.

He suddenly felt very nervous.

She sat next to him and snuggled against him. Her robe fell open a bit, revealing her long, smooth legs. "Good evening Tenchi."

"Ayeka, you're drunk."

"Oh, I only had a little bit." She protested as she laid her head on his
shoulder.

Tenchi froze. For some reason whenever he was placed in a situation that had even the slightest potential of becoming romantic or sexual he would become uncomfortable or frightened.

She sighed happily. "It's just you and me."

"Yeah." The only thing he could really say at the moment.

"It's just like when we were in that cabin," she commented.

"Yeah."

"Hey Tenchi, do you want to know a secret?" she asked.

"W-w-what?"

"Do you remember when we were back in that cabin? I would have let you kiss me then."

"Yeah?" He had to be a little curious at that last comment. It wasn't everyday that Ayeka made such a statement.

"I would have let you do all sorts of things to me."

Blood rushed to Tenchi's cheeks and ears as he imagined what that statement could mean.

"Why didn't you kiss me Tenchi?" she asked. "Don't you find me attractive?"

"Um... Yes." Tenchi knew enough about Ayeka to know that saying no or nothing at all would be a bad idea, and he was being honest.

"Then why didn't you kiss me?"

Tenchi couldn't answer that question monosyllabically. He had to use real
words. "Well... You see... I... ah..."

Ayeka sighed. "That's the way you always are. Avoiding everything and leaving everyone hanging."

"I am... uh... sorry," he said meekly.

She waved him off. "That doesn't change anything."

Tenchi didn't know what he should say but he knew that he had to say something or end this conversation quickly. "C'mon, I'll take you to bed."

Ayeka laughed. "Tenchi, you're being so improper with me!"

Tenchi's eyes widened when he realized what she meant. "Ah! I didn't mean it like that!"

Ayeka frowned. "You never mean it do you?" She sighed heavily. "I try so hard sometimes but I receive so little in return," she said under her breath.

He didn't like it when this sort of thing came up. He hated watching them get hurt over and over again. But he didn't feel there was anything he could do about it.

She yawned and leaned into him a little more.

"Um, you look pretty tired," he said. "Maybe you should go to bed."

"I'm not tired."

"Yes you are." He got up and helped her off the couch. "And you're going
to have a terrible headache tomorrow morning. It's time for bed."

She wasn't in the mood to argue with him since it was obvious he wasn't going to sit with her anymore. "All right," she sighed.

He led her upstairs and made sure she got into her room. He then left her
alone so she could change. Starting to feel tired himself he decided that it
was time for him to go to bed too.

The problem was that he felt terrible. He didn't enjoy watching Ayeka hurt. Would it be so bad to show her just a little bit of affection? Was that asking too much?

He knew the answer to that; he wasn't going to be dishonest. No matter how much he wanted to alleviate her pain he couldn't do it. It could only make things worse.

He knew that Ayeka had feelings for him, feelings that he didn't always return. 'It must be hard for her,' he reasoned. 'To do something for someone and have them act as if they don't even care.'

But he did care about her. He cared very deeply about her. And yet he felt that he couldn't show her that, because showing her any sort of affection would hurt Ryoko. He was caught between them. He was trapped in a cycle of hurting them and not hurting them. Eventually there would come a day when he would hurt one of them so badly that she would leave.

It had to end he realized. It had gone on for too long. It had to end before he hurt someone that he truly cared about, before someone left, before
something had happened that he would truly regret.

He had been through this before and it always ended the same way. He had
never been able to truly sort out his feelings. He just wasn't ready for it.

But recently he had found himself wanting something, anything to change. He couldn't quite make sense of it. It was almost like a bubble was rising to the surface, trying to escape, or like the pressure was building up inside and he was ready to burst.


'There is a change waiting to happen,' the voice in the back of his head told him. 'You're just too stupid and too much in denial to realize it.'

But nothing had really changed over the last few months, except for the excitement of the last few days. Things were the same as they always were.

'Are they?' the voice asked. 'Are you sure that nothing's changed between you and one of the girls?'

'That thing with Ayeka?' he asked. 'I was just scared, that's all.'

'You were only scared that much once before, remember?'

'Yeah, when mom died.'

'The fear you felt, the dream you had, the pain you felt when she felt hurt, and they all mean something.'

'What that I'm in love with Ayeka?'

'Are you?'

Tenchi thought for a second. He knew he cared about Ayeka a great deal. He cherished her like he cherished all the girls. She was important. She was special.

But he couldn't be sure that he was in love with her. Hell, he didn't even know what being in love was like.

So how was he to know? He simply couldn't shake a magic eight ball to find out.

'I was afraid,' he thought to himself. 'And I was only as afraid once in my life. When mom died. I loved her more than anything in the world. My world felt so empty after she left.'

Tenchi bit his lip. What if Ayeka had died on Kiagara's ship? It wasn't a thought he liked to dwell on, life with out one of the girls.

If Ayeka had died on that ship his life would be incredibly empty. He would have to go his days without seeing her beautiful face. He would never again talk to her, hear her laugh, or work with her at the shrine. He would never again see her hold Mayuka.

It was a terrible thought.

He then realized that he couldn't live without her. He didn't want to live with out her.

Ayeka was essential to his life; without her his world would seem so empty.

And he cared for her a great deal.

Was that love?

Maybe, he couldn't be sure.

But when he was on Kiagara's ship, when he believed that she was going to die he was absolutely certain he was in love with her. It almost felt like it was an absolute fact, like one needs air to breath.

So why didn't he feel that way now?

Was it fear? Was he afraid of losing her the same way he had lost his own mother? Was he repressing his love for Ayeka out of fear of losing her?

'Even if you repress your love for her you won't be able to stop loving her no matter how you deny it. You'll still be hurt if you lose her.

'Why fight this then? It's making Ayeka unhappy and it's making you unhappy. Just admit it and get it over with.'

Tenchi hesitated. Admitting to something like that would change everything.

'If you don't admit it she'll leave. You'll lose her.'

What?

'She won't wait around forever. One day she'll get fed up and leave. You'll be left all alone.

'And who could blame her? She deserves a chance to be happy and you're not giving her that chance.

'Now do you love Ayeka?'

Tenchi didn't know what to think at first. He always thought he was too young for something like this or that he couldn't let himself fall in love because someone would end up getting hurt. There was no more time for excuses. Either he did or he didn't.

He had felt it once before so clearly and definitively. If he had felt it that way how could it not be true? It had to be true; there was no other answer.

'Yes, I love her,' he finally answered himself.

He was relieved. It was finally over. After all that time of feeling like he was trapped in a viscous circle he had finally escaped. It seemed that an enormous weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

Tears rolled down his cheeks. All that pent up emotion was being released. He finally had figured out what he wanted.

He loved her and he would continue to love her till the end of his days. He didn't need to be afraid any longer.

All that remained was telling everyone how he felt. Easier said then done. He knew that some people, particularly Ryoko, would take this news very badly. It was his fault really. He had taken so long to realize his feelings; she had been in the dark that entire time. If he had realized this sooner than maybe he could have avoided hurting her so much.

Tenchi sighed. This was his choice, what he wanted, and he would just have to live with it.

* * *

Tenchi stretched his arms allowing his muscles to become loose again. A new day greeted him. Today he could view the world with new eyes.

His first waking thoughts were of Ayeka. In spite of sleep he found himself unable to stop thinking about her, for all things linked back to her.

He wanted to see her, to go her. He needed to hold her, or do… something with her. Even just to look at her would be a great privilege.

He quickly slid open the door of his room and briskly made his way through the halls. Never once did he question what the hell he was doing, or notice how much he really needed to go to the bathroom.

He found himself before the door to Ayeka's room. He took a deep breath and steeled himself for whatever might happen. He rapped gently at the door.

The door slid open about a quarter of the way. A slender hand wrapped itself around the doorway. A body shuffled forward behind it. A pair of blurry eyes and an oily face looked up at him.

"Yes?" Ayeka asked quietly.

Tenchi's heart beat a thousand times a minute. His hands became like the Amazon Rainforest and his mouth became like the Sahara Desert. His mind blankened, unable to cope with what was happening. He said what felt natural to him.

"Um… Hi." He waved weakly.

Ayeka screamed and slammed the door closed. "Please Lord Tenchi, don't look at me," she shouted. "I haven't had the chance to freshen up yet."

He stood there stunned. This wasn't the way that things were supposed to go. But here he was, unable to figure out what to do next.

"I-If you need to speak to me I will be downstairs in a few minutes," she called out.

He meekly nodded and shuffled back to his room.

* * *

'I'm such an idiot' Tenchi told himself as he left his room for the second time that morning. `What the hell was I thinking? I've only managed to make a fool of myself.'

He sighed to himself as closed the door. Now he had to go downstairs and face her. She expected him to speak with her when he got there. He didn't even know what he was going to talk to her about!

Terrified that somehow he would screw things up horribly, he descended the stairs.

Ayeka was already there, as was Sasami, Ryo-ohki and Mihoshi. He knew that Ryoko wouldn't show up until Sasami announced that breakfast was ready, that usually was the case when she had spent the night drinking. He didn't see Kiyone anywhere; he guessed that she was getting over a hangover from last night. Washu and Mayuka hadn't come out of the lab yet.

Ayeka spotted him first. "O-oh Lord Tenchi, good morning."

Somehow she had become even more intimidating to him then she had been before. He could only bring himself to stare at her, his mind frozen with fear.

He saw her cheeks slowly redden; she took her eyes away from him. He knew he needed to do something to stop things from getting weird.

He scratched the back of his head and tried to act like nothing was going on. "Um, good morning Miss Ayeka, everyone. Sure smells good Sasami."

Mihoshi acknowledged him by merely waving her hand. He wasn't insulted; he knew that Mihoshi probably was still hung over.

Sasami was more enthusiastic in her greeting. "Good Morning Tenchi, breakfast will be ready in a few minutes."

"Miya!"

Ayeka returned her gaze to him. "Um, Lord Tenchi would you come to the library so that we can speak in private?" she asked.

Tenchi swallowed hard. "Um, sure."

His heart suddenly leapt up into his throat. He was so nervous, almost terrified of her. How could he be so frightened of her? She was his friend, right? She wasn't a cruel or malicious girl.

He followed her into the library and closed the door behind him. For a
minute they didn't say anything. They just looked at each other. Each one of them trying to figure out something, *anything,* to end the most uncomfortable silence of their lives.

Ayeka turned away and blushed. "D-did…" she began.

Tenchi's heart stopped, she knew somehow. She knew everything about how he felt. Why did that scare him so much?

"Did I say anything to you last night?"

"What?"

"I don't remember that much about last night. I remember leaving the onsen and I remember talking to you but I don't remember what I said." Her blush deepened. "Did I say anything... embarrassing?"

Tenchi breathed a sigh of relief. "Um, well…"

"Because if I did I apologize deeply for it," she blurted out. "Please excuse my condition last night." She added a short bow.

Tenchi smiled. "You don't have to worry. You didn't do anything embarrassing last night."

Ayeka sighed. "Thank you," she said. "I'm... ah... Once again I am sorry."

He scratched the back of his head. "Unh... It's all right, really."

There was a knock at the door. "Hey, you going to take your kid or do I have to take care of her all day too?" Washu asked.

Tenchi opened the door and took Mayuka out of Washu's waiting arms. "Sorry about that little Washu. I was going to come take her from you but I got delayed."

Washu waved him off. "Whatever, I'm tired. I'm going to bed." She turned away and went back to her lab.

Ayeka stood next to him. "May I hold her?" She held out her arms.

"Sure," he said as he handed her the squirming infant.

She cradled the baby in her arms. "Good morning little princess," she whispered.

"Breakfast is ready," Sasami announced.

Quickly the rest of the family had gathered around the table. Kiyone had yet to arrive but Mihoshi explained that she was still sleeping.

"Ayeka, you're going to come with me to go grocery shopping today, right?" Sasami asked.

"Yes, of course," sighed Ayeka.

"What about you Mihoshi?" she asked.

"I'm sorry Sasami, but I don't feel very good and I have to take care Kiyone. I don't think I'll be able to go."

"Oh, that's too bad," moped Sasami. "I could've used an extra pair of arms."

Tenchi thought for a second. This was a perfect way to spend time with Ayeka. It wasn't really a date and it was safe. He didn't have to worry about embarrassing himself. And although Sasami would be there, it would sort of be like being alone with her.

"I'll go."

"You will?" asked Sasami.

He nodded. "Mmm-hmm."

"Don't you have work to do in the fields today?" asked Ayeka.

"It can wait," he said. "The fields will still be there tomorrow."

"Well if you want to come with us you can," said Sasami.

Ryoko traced around Tenchi's ear with her finger. "Tenchi, if you're not going to the fields today I can think of much more fun things to do then grocery shopping,"

Tenchi sighed. "Ryoko..."

Ayeka cleared her throat. "Miss Ryoko, I will have to ask you to stop making such a scene at the breakfast table," she said.

"Listen here princess," growled Ryoko. "I can do whatever I want with my Tenchi."

"What exactly makes him yours?"

"I've known him much longer than you."

"Humph, that's got nothing to do with it."

Ryoko stuck out her tongue. "First come, first serve."

Tenchi sighed to himself. "I'm not a toy Ryoko."

Ryoko blinked. "Eh… well… I didn't mean it like that."

"Well then stop treating me like one." He took himself out her arms and stood up. "I'll be back down in a few minutes."

* * *

Ryoko knew something was wrong. She had a sixth sense about these sorts of things, or at least she liked to believe that she did. She had developed this ability during her long slavery with Kagato. It came in handy during battles or when trying to avoid Kagato's punishment. Now it was acting up again.

She phased though the ceiling and into Tenchi's room. He was standing there combing his hair.

She crept up behind him. She grabbed his rear and gave it a firm squeeze. "Hello Tenchi," she whispered in his ear.

He screamed and leapt away. "Jeez, Ryoko! Don't do that! You scared me!"

She eyed him. "You're pretty cleaned up just to go grocery shopping." She sniffed the air. "And you're wearing cologne too." Her eyes narrowed. "What's going on?"

"Nothing."

"Bullshit! Do you think I'm stupid? What's going on? Are you going on some sort of secret date with Ayeka?"

"Of course not!"

"Then tell me what's really going on. Is there some other girl that I don't even know about?!"

"Don't be ridiculous. Even if there was another girl why would I go see
her with Ayeka tagging along?"

She crossed her arms. "A threesome."

Tenchi pursed his lips together and snorted, as if he was trying not to laugh.

"Be serious!" she yelled. "You're up to something and I know it. Now spill!"

There was a loud banging sound on the wall. "Hey, keep it down in there! I'm to trying to sleep," Kiyone's voice came through the wall.

Tenchi placed his hands on the desk. He gnashed his teeth and let out a sharp breath. "Look, I'll dress the way I want too. It's none of your business. And I don't remember giving you permission to just come into my room whenever you like."

Ryoko trembled with anger and her eyes began to water. "Fine!" She said. "Be a big, fat, stupid jerk!" She phased up through the ceiling.

"Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" Kiyone pounded on the wall again.

* * *

The bus ran smoothly through the streets. The people passing by would have never guessed that three members of a royal family from a planet they had never heard of were currently on that bus. However they might have guessed that a young man dealing with problems of the heart was on that bus.

Tenchi was currently kicking himself. He had been mean to Ryoko and he hadn't really gotten anywhere with Ayeka. He had barely spoken to her since they had left the house. Now that he knew how he felt about her he wasn't sure how he should talk to her. She had more power over him than ever before. Before he simply had a hard time saying no to her pretty face; now she could break his heart.

He was also upset with himself for lying to Ryoko. She knew something was going on. That terrified him. He knew that he might have to hurt her, that she might leave. If that happened his spirit would be crushed.

But he couldn't keep lying to her. It would be cruel to lead her on like that. He would have to cut her loose. Let her go her own way through life. He would have to make it known to Ayeka how he felt too. He wanted to tell her too, but he just didn't know how too. He had hoped that he would be able to tell her on this little trip but he was scared. He was scared of what might happen afterwards.

He needed to test the waters somehow, to take a baby step towards revealing his intentions to her. He couldn't just blurt it out. He had to work his way towards it.

He turned his head towards her. She was seated next to him. Carefully, he examined her features. She was simply staring out the window. Her ruby eyes betrayed her almost detached disinterest in what was going on in the outside world. Her lips were pressed into a thin line, showing no emotion.

His heart fluttered a little. She was so beautiful.

He looked around. Sasami was seated on the other side of the bus, directly across from him. She was starring up at the overcast sky, as if she was waiting for the first raindrop to hit the plexiglas above her head. There was a man in a suit reading a newspaper and two middle-aged women chatting amicably. Other than the driver they were the only people on the bus.

Slowly Tenchi's hand inched toward Ayeka's. He didn't dare look at her as he did this, he couldn't bring himself to. Gently his fingertips brushed across her knuckles and then slide forward to rest on her fingernails. He rested his palm on the back of her hand.

He knew Ayeka had turned to face him but he could only stare out the window and feel the blood rush to his face.

He felt her hand turn over until his palm was against her palm. She gently squeezed his hand, making it known to him that this guessture was welcomed.

They continued to hold hands until they reached their stop. If anyone else on the bus noticed them they didn't say anything, although he could have sworn that he saw Sasami smile at them once or twice.

When they finally reached their stop Ayeka whispered to him: "Lord Tenchi, will you please let go of me? I need to carry the other bag."

Reluctantly he released her hand.

* * *

After a long, awkward walk home, they finally reached the house. As soon as Sasami announced: "We're home," Washu swung open the lab door and grabbed Tenchi.

"Tenchi, could I see you in the lab?" she asked.

"Umm, I have to help with the groceries right now," he said.

"That's okay Tenchi, just put the bags on the table and I'll take care of it," Sasami said.

"See, Sasami can handle it," said Washu. "Let's go. We have tests to run."

"But I should probably get caught up with my work in the fields," he nervously replied. He really didn't like going into that lab. Strangely, he did not enjoy being tied up and having his clothes removed without his consent.


Washu waved off his excuse. "I'll just have one of my machines do it for you."

"Miss Washu," said Ayeka. "If Lord Tenchi says he doesn't want to go then he doesn't want to go."

"Nonsense," said Washu as she pushed Tenchi through the lab door. "He's my little guinea pig and he loves this sort of stuff." She shut the door behind her.

He turned to face her. "Was that really necessary?" he asked.

"Of course it was." She snapped her fingers and a black restraining droid materialized behind him. Its metallic tentacles quickly wrapped themselves around his limbs, pinning him to the machine. "I need to ask you about what happened on Kiagara's ship." She snapped her fingers again. The world around them blurred and when it refocused they were in a much darker part of the lab. The lights were much dimmer and distant machinery hummed. Washu stood next to a white computer console. Somehow Tenchi's clothes had disappeared and he was left with only his boxer shorts for modesty. Normally Tenchi would protest, but he had learned that the lab was Washu's domain. Once he was in there he was helpless.

Tenchi swallowed. "Y-y-you want to know about that?" He was hoping that she hadn't found out about his little revelation on the ship.

Washu smiled devilishly. "Yep, I want to know all about the incident with the Light Hawk Wings."

Tenchi sighed in relief. "Oh, is that all."

She glanced at him looking directly into his eyes as she did. "Yes, now tell me exactly what happened before, during, and after your use of the wings."

He looked up at the distant ceiling. "Well, after we found out that the ship was falling into the star we ran through the corridors to escape. At some point I realized that Ayeka had been separated from the rest of us. I went off on my own to find her.

"I found her on her knees, crying. When I told her to hurry up and come with me she told me she couldn't because she was trapped by force fields."

Washu nodded and typed something into her computer console. "An automatic security system."

"I guess so. Anyways I couldn't figure out how to get her out. After a while she told me to leave her there. I was very afraid that I was going to lose her, that she was going to die on that ship." He sighed deep and heavy. "And that's when I used the Wings."

"How did you feel when you used them?"

Tenchi thought for a second. "I felt powerful, like I could do anything and nothing in the universe could stop me."

Washu tilted here head to one side. "Hmmm, what happened after that?"

"When I knocked down the force fields Ayeka... um... hugged me." He blushed.

Washu cackled lightly. "So you used the Wings to get some action from Ayeka. Tenchi, you dog!"

Tenchi's eyes quickly turned towards her. "No, it wasn't like that at all!"

She waved him off. "Kidding, kidding. But there does seem to be a common thread in when you're able to activate. Every time you've activated them it's been in response to some kind of extreme emotional state." She cupped her chin in thought. "When you fought Yuzuha did you want her dead?"

Tenchi was silent for second. "Yes, I wanted her dead."

"Why?"

His voice began to tremble. "S-she killed her own child. What she did was inconceivable. At the time I thought she deserved to die." He sighed. "I feel bad about it now."

"Don't feel bad about it. She forced your hand, it was either her or you and frankly I'm glad things turned out the way they did." She typed more information into her computer. "So we've established that an extreme emotional state allows for the activation of your wings. The question now is what kinds of emotions are needed and how extreme they have to be."

He shrugged in response.

Washu pressed a key on her computer. Her mind scan ring - not the real name of it but that's what he called it - was placed on his head. He always felt uncomfortable wearing it, more so than he was usually in Washu's lab. Like any person he didn't like the idea that someone else could peer into his mind. Plus the fact that it had little light bulbs going around it, making it look like a prop from a bad science fiction movie didn't help matters any. "Wh-why do you need to use this thing?"

"The simple answer is that I need to know the exact conditions in which you create the wings. If we can figure out that then I can recreate the conditions and I'll be able to examine them with my full instrumentation."


"Oh, okay."

"Now, I want you to remember exactly what happened the last time you used the wings. Start with what happened right after you noticed that Ayeka wasn't with you."

Tenchi closed his eyes. "Okay, I told Mihoshi and Kiyone that she was missing and I was going to find her. I backtracked my way through the corridors-"

"What color were the corridors?"

He opened his eyes. "Huh, why is that important?"

"It'll help you visualize what happened. Please close your eyes."

He shut his eyes again. "Sorry, the corridors were white. I turned a corner a found Ayeka on her knees, crying. I asked her what was wrong and she told me that she was trapped. I tired to find away out for her but..." he trailed off.

"But what?"

"But I couldn't find a way out for her, and time was running out. Then she told me to leave." His voice began to tremble. "I couldn't stand the thought of losing her. That's when..."

No! He couldn't think it; he wouldn't let Washu know. He wouldn't let her know that's when he realized how he loved Ayeka.

Tenchi stiffened in his restraints. "Um, Little Washu..."

Washu had her back turned towards him. She was completely still.

Tenchi swallowed nervously.

"I see," she murmured. "Why not Ryoko?"

Tears came to Tenchi's eyes. "Washu... I'm sorry... I didn't want to..."

"Damn it Tenchi," she breathed out. "You..." She began to shake and tremble with anger.

Then five thousand years of mental training took over. She rarely lost her temper even when she had many justifiable reasons to be angry. It simply didn't do her any good to become enraged. So her mind cleared and lead her down the paths she knew were right.

Washu took a deep breath and sighed. She turned to Tenchi smiling. "No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't be telling you what to do. It's just..."

"Ryoko... she isn't going to take this very well, is she?"

"No, she's not." She snapped her fingers. The restraint bot disappeared and Tenchi's clothes reappeared around him. Tenchi gently floated down towards the floor. "She has some pretty deep feelings for you, this'll hurt."

"I know and I feel awful about doing this to her. And it's not that I don't care about her at all, it's just..."

"It's different with Ayeka, isn't it?" She placed a hand on his shoulder. "Believe me I understand. Have you told Ayeka yet?'

"No," he muttered. "I'm not really sure how I should tell her. How did you..."

"Tell my husband that I was in love with him?"

Tenchi nodded.

"I was half-way drunk when I told him."

"Oh."

"Yeah, I know it's not the most romantic thing to do, is it?" She shrugged. "Sorry, I can't be more help, romance really isn't my thing." She scratched her chin. "Although, if I get a couple of drinks in the two of you... hmmm... might be able to get that sample I've been wanting."

He turned a shade paler. "Little Washu, please!"

Washu arched an eyebrow. "Why not? Don't tell me you've never thought about it."

"No, it's not that!" He waved his hands. "It's just..."

Washu closed her eyes and nodded. "You're worried about your performance in bed."

"Yeah I... What!?"

"It's perfectly normal to have those sorts of fears," she told him. "Don't worry. She's a virgin, she won't know any better."

"Little Washu!"

"Just kidding, just kidding." She sighed. "But you're going to have to tell Ayeka and Ryoko." Her tone had turned serious. "They deserve to know the truth."

His gaze turned down. "I know."

She patted him on the arm. "Don't worry, things seem tough now but everything will work out for the best in the end. And Ryoko will be fine. She has been through a lot and she's always pulled through some how. She's tougher than you think. She'll pull through this too."

He nodded. "Thank you Little Washu."

"Anytime Tenchi." She snapped her fingers and a red door appear in the room. "Now get to business!"

He nodded again. "What about the experiment?"

She waved him off. "We'll take care of that after this is all over."

He opened the door and stepped through.

Washu sighed as she watched him leave. She hadn't told Tenchi everything. This could turn out very badly for all three of them. Ryoko had built up her all hopes around Tenchi, to have that shattered...

There in lied the rub; Ryoko could kill herself. Her entire life revolved around him, for the most part, to have that suddenly ripped from her. Ryoko might not be able to bear it. She didn't like that thought, but she knew what might happen. If that happened then Tenchi and Ayeka would find themselves burdened with guilt, believing that somehow it was their fault. It could destroy any chance that they ever had at being truly happy together.

The rational part of Washu's mind told her that wouldn't happen. Ryoko had gone through far too much. She wouldn't just go off and kill herself over a guy.

But the irrational part of her mind told her differently. There was a chance Ryoko would do something like that. Because there was a chance the problem could not be ignored.

Washu could not let that happen, she would not let it happen. It wasn't worth it.

She shook her head and proceeded deeper into the lab. She needed to make preparations for what ever might happen in the next few days.

* * *

Ayeka slowly climbed the stone steps to the Masaki shrine. She held her hand out in front of her. She examined it as if it had suddenly changed to an entirely different hand overnight or as if she had never seen a hand before.

'My hand. He held my hand,' she thought to herself over and over again.

She didn't quite know what to do with herself when it had happened. She could only return the gesture.

It had been such an odd thing for him. She had known Tenchi for more than two years now, and during that entire time she had never known him to make such a bold or affectionate gesture, much less to make it in public. It was such an out of character thing for him to do.

'It was only a held hand,' she told herself. It was not a confession of love. It wasn't even an incredibly romantic thing to do; children Sasami's age often did the same thing. But the fact that such a thing was so odd for him put many doubts in her head.

Unsure of herself she decided to head towards the one person on this planet she could trust to listen to her problems, give her good advice and not mock her (or at least not mock her a great deal). She headed for her brother's.

She walked up the final step to shrine. She swore that one day she'd introduce teleportation pads to this planet and save herself from the long climb.

Sighing she walked up to the shrine door and gently knocked.

"Who is there?" the voice on the other side of the door asked.

"It is me brother," she answered.

"Ah, Ayeka, please come in."

"Thank you," she said as she stepped in and slid it closed behind her.

She sat across from him at the small table in the center of the room. He poured her a cup of tea and placed it in front of her.

"Now what can I do for you?" he asked.

She remained silent for a time. Her heart raced and her breath quickened as she prepared to confess. "Something happened between me and Tenchi today." She stared at floor matting and blushed.

Katsuhito arched an eyebrow.

She sat there as he waited for her to continue. "He-he held my hand on the bus." She wrung her hands together.

His brow furrowed slightly. "Interesting."

"And now I don't know what I should do." She slowly glanced up at him, hoping for some kind of response.

"Perhaps the boy is bolder than I thought." He cupped his chin in his hand. "He only held your hand, he didn't do anything else?"

Her gaze returned to the floor. "No, he didn't even talk to me. I think I may have upset him somehow." Relief washed through her as the act was completed.

He stroked his chin. "I doubt that you've made him upset. You must understand that in spite of all that Nobuyuki tried to teach the boy, Tenchi remains unsure of himself when it comes to matters of the heart."

Ayeka nodded. She understood that all to well.

He looked directly at her. "You came to me for advice but you already know what you must do."

She swallowed. "I have to talk to Tenchi."

He nodded. "I know that it is not an easy thing to do but if you truly value your feelings for him than you must overcome your fears. If you do not you may lose him."

Ayeka stood up. "Thank you brother, I will go talk to Tenchi. Thank you very much for the tea."

She bowed slightly and left the shrine, leaving her tea untouched.

* * *

Tenchi paced the floor of his room, trying figure out exactly what he should say.

"Ayeka, when two people have known each other for a very long time..."

No, no that wouldn't do at all.

"Ryoko, you will always be very dear to me..."

No, it didn't sound right.

"Ayeka, we've been through a lot together haven't we?"

That just sounded plain old stupid.

"Ryoko, we're always going to be friends, right?"

Ugh, that was awful.

"Ayeka, I would like to take our relationship a step further."

That could mean anything.

"Ryoko, I hope things never change between us."

That just sounded mean.

He sighed in defeat. He simply didn't know what he should say. How do you tell someone that you love them? How can you tell someone that is incredibly important to you that you're going to shatter their spirit? How can you express something that seems beyond words?

"What do you think I should say?" he asked his companion.

Mayuka gurgled.

He smiled at her. "That's your solution to everything, isn't it?" He scooped his daughter off of the bed. He then sat down in the place where she had been lying. "What am I going to do about your mommies?"

Mayuka clenched her tiny fists around the fabric of his t-shirt.

Tears welled up in Tenchi's eyes. "I never wanted to hurt anyone, I just wanted everyone to be happy. Looks like I can't even do that." He wiped the tears away. "Damn it."

He lay back on the bed and had Mayuka sit on his chest. He offered the infant his pinkie, which she eagerly gripped. "But I have to tell Ayeka. And I really want to tell her too, it's just... I don't want to tell Ryoko." He sighed. "She's suffered too much to have something like this happen to her."

He was stuck again. For almost two years now he had been unable to choose between them, he didn't want to choose. He was perfectly happy with how things were and saw no need for any change. So he had left the girls hanging, let them build up their hopes.

Now he wanted things to change, but he found that he simply couldn't do it. He'd found the courage to discover what he wanted but he didn't have courage to affect the change.

He had to tell them though, and soon. Washu knew now and if he didn't tell them then she would. She was right about them having a right to know.

`Tomorrow,' he resolved. He would tell them tomorrow.

* * *

Tenchi dug the hoe into the earth again. It was already well past noon and he hadn't said a thing to Ryoko or Ayeka all day. Today was supposed to be the day but he was avoiding them. He should have done something about this, said something, but he was too much a coward.

He dug his hoe faster and faster into the earth, not fully aware of the task at hand. Fate had somehow decreed that a rock should be in his path. Inevitably to the blade of the hoe found that stone and struck it forcibly. With a loud, metallic clang the hoe came back and bludgeoned Tenchi's thumb.

"Damn it!" he cried as he shook the injured hand intensely.

Ayeka nearly jumped when she heard Tenchi curse. She had her back against a tree at the edge of the fields. She breathed deeply and tried to control her nervous shaking. She had done all her chores for the day. There were no more excuses to avoid this meeting. The time had come to speak to Tenchi.

But by the gods she was nervous.

She knew she shouldn't feel that way. She had spoken to Tenchi many times before and she did not feel this nervous. She had always felt comfortable with him, safe. She had opened to him so many times in the past, why not now? Maybe it was because she was going to speak to him about something she had never spoken to him about before: his feelings for her.

Before she had deluded herself into believing that he would eventually come to her. She had thought that Ryoko was nothing more than a temporary distraction that eventually he would see her for the horrible, awful person that she truly was.

Things had changed when Kagato had come. She had learned that Ryoko's actions were not truly her own. She was forced to revaluate her preconception of the former pirate. Suddenly she could see Ryoko as a genuinely good person; suddenly she could see why Tenchi might choose Ryoko.

She still believed that she would be the one who was chosen however. But the months had dragged on and on without any indication of whom he favored. Soon, a whole year had passed and nothing had changed in the Masaki home. She began to fear that nothing would ever change, that things would remain the same forever. To her that was unacceptable. She couldn't bear the stasis that was in the house any longer. Something had to give.

Yesterday however something had changed, he had made an actual sign of affection towards her. He had never done anything like that before. The time had come to speak with him about his feelings; she could not stand not knowing any longer.

Taking a deep breath she stepped out from behind the tree. She quickly looked at him, digging new furloughs with his hoe. Then she quickly ducked back behind the tree again.

She cursed herself for her lack of resolve. Then she took another deep breath. No amount of nervousness in the universe was going to stop her. She was going to march straight up to him and ask him how he felt about her.

Her resolve sufficiently steeled she turned and began her march out into the fields.


When Tenchi first saw Ayeka stomping towards him, kicking up tiny dust clouds as she went, her eyes burning with resolve, he feared that he might be in for a trashing. Not that he could blame her, he hadn't said a thing to her after what happened on the bus. She must be very mad.

She stopped three feet from him. "Lord Tenchi, I have come to speak to you," she said sternly.

He dropped the hoe and scratched at the back of his head. "Y-y-yes."

"I have come to speak to you about what happened yesterday," she
practically shouted.

Sweat beaded on Tenchi's forehead. "D-d-did I do something wrong?"

She realized that she might be scaring him. The last thing she wanted to do was frighten him. She began to lose her confidence, sensing that she was only making things worse. "Well... um... you see... I wanted to ask you something." She stared at the dirt.

"Yes?" He took a tentative step backwards.

She was so intensely afraid of what might happen next. He could tell her exactly what she wanted to hear or he could reject her, something that would truly be horrendous for her. She began to shake.

He regarded her with deep concern. "Ayeka, are you okay?"

She shook her head. "No... I... you..."

He took a step forward, his concern overriding his fear. "What is it? What's wrong?"

A tear found its way to ground, followed by another one, followed by a mob of its brothers and sisters. She couldn't do it, she couldn't do it, she couldn't do it. She was simply too scared. It was so important to her and she was letting her own fear hold her back.

Tenchi didn't know what was going on, much less what he should do about it. Something was clearly wrong with Ayeka and whatever it was she couldn't tell him.

It was then that his instincts took over. He took a hesitant step forward and reached out his arms towards her. She quickly moved towards him.

He wrapped his arms around her.

She began to weep uncontrollably onto his shoulder. Her tears dampened his t-shirt. He stroked her hair gently and whispered soothingly into her ear. He didn't know why she was crying but he knew this is what he should be doing for her.

Eventually she pulled away. "Thank you Lord Tenchi, but I have to be going now." She turned to walk away.

"Wait, you don't have to go. If something's wrong than we should talk about it." He held out his hand as if trying to stop her.

"I have to go help Sasami make dinner," she said simply as she began to walk away.

"Don't make excuses," he told her. "Please tell me what's wrong."

She turned towards him. "You don't understand, do you?" she whispered.

They stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity, each waiting for the other to say something.

It was Tenchi who finally said what Ayeka never had the courage to say. "You're- you're in love with me, aren't you?"

She gasped. He knew. She kept it a secret for so long. She had shown interest in him before, but she kept her the true depth of her feelings hidden.

"Yes," she whispered.

He waited for her continue.

She couldn't bring herself to look him in the eyes. "I-I-I l-love you," she said. "I love you and... it hurts."

Tenchi frowned. He thought she would feel relief and joy when she told him, but the tears were anew.

She continued, while wiping away at her tears. "I've felt this way for so long that seems like I've felt this way my entire life. Every morning I wake up thinking 'will this be the day he tells me that he loves me or will this be the day that he tells me that he loves someone else?'

"Sometimes I cry myself to sleep, thinking that Ryoko or Mihoshi or someone else may take you away from me. I've waited so long to tell you that I love you but my own fear always seems to get in the way.


"All I ever wanted from you was for you to love me like I love you."

He was stunned. So he said the only thing he could say. "I'm sorry. I didn't want to hurt you this way."

She turned away from him. "Please don't say anything about us being friends or being family or how much you care about me, j-just come out with it"

This was it. He avoided this for far too long. He had to tell her. It was now or never.

He opened his mouth as if preparing to say something, but nothing came out. He was terrified. He saw her looking at him, her skin became paler, a sheen of sweat poured from her face, she gasped for air. 'You have to say it!' his inner voice screamed. 'Can't you see what you're doing to her?'

"No, it's okay. I-I lo-love you too."

The tears stopped and confusion crossed over her face. She turned to face him.

"I-I wouldn't lie about something like this," he said. "When you were trapped on that ship I knew I couldn't live with out you, I had never been more scared in my life. I don't want to live with out you. I can't live with out your smile, your voice, the way you greet me every morning, your conversations, your gentle spirit, your kind heart. I couldn't live with out that." His eyes turned to the ground. "I'm sorry I hurt you."

Ayeka trembled. "Y-you love me?"

"Yeah," he whispered.

She began crying again, but for an entirely differently reason. She took a hesitant step forward. "Oh T-Tenchi." She rushed forward and threw herself at him. She wrapped her arms around him, tackling him and pinning him to the ground.

Her face was level with his. Her tears had suddenly ceased. She looked him straight in the eyes, and his eyes locked with hers. She could see how startled and befuddled he was, he didn't quite know what with himself. She could hear the blood thundering in her ears. She suddenly felt the urge the do something very important.

She had slowly leaned forward, her eyes closed. Tenchi didn't move an inch. Her lips meet his. He reciprocated, gently at first but then a little more intensely. She brought a hand up and caressed his cheek. After a long and lingering kiss they separated, their faces flush.

Ayeka squeaked. She almost leapt off of him. She gathered herself on top of her knees and brought her right fist to cover her mouth. Her face turned a perfect shade of red. Her ears burned. She looked at Tenchi as if he were a dish she had broken.

"I-I'm so, so sorry," she began. Her gaze traveled to the earth. "It was far too impulsive of me." Her eyes darted towards him and then away. "I let... other things take control of me."

Tenchi hoisted himself up so he could look at her better. A bemused smile crossed his face. "No, don't apologize." His cheeks turned slightly redder. "I... ah... kinda liked it."

Once she had been given the green light she rushed forward again. Tenchi let out an 'oomph' as she landed on top of him. She showered his face with a flurry of kisses, causing him to smile and laugh. Eventually they met again in a kiss, this time far more passionately.

For a time they lay there. Tenchi's hand gently twirled a long strand of purple hair. Ayeka rested her head on his chest, listening to the murmur of his heart.

* * *

When they had decided to return home the sun was low in the sky. It cast the trees, fields, and the path in a pinkish glow.

They walked side by side, their hands and fingers intertwined.

Ayeka sighed heavily as she brought up something she had been thinking about all afternoon. "Tenchi, what are we going to do about Ryoko?"

He frowned. "I don't know."

She brought her free hand up over her heart. "She feels the same way about you as I do."

He kicked a small stone out in front of him. He really didn't want to think about this now.

The guilt slowly began to eat away at her. She needed him to be honest with Ryoko or surely it would crush her. "We have to tell her, it's the only fair thing we can do."

"I know." He kicked the stone again, directing some of the anger he felt for himself at it.

She sighed heavily. "Tenchi..."

"I don't want to hurt her."

She squeezed his hand. "I know but we can't keep this a secret forever."

He kicked the stone again. He couldn't admit the truth to himself, he didn't want to.

She sighed again.

He shook his head. "I'm sorry, it's just..."

"I know, I know." Tenchi never wanted to hurt anyone, it was one the reasons that she loved him. She rested her head on his shoulder. "If you like I can tell her."

He shook his head, he wouldn't hand her a burden that was his. "No, I'm the one who should tell her."

"All right," she said. "Would you like me to be there?"

He thought about it for a second. Telling Ryoko about all this would be hell for him and he didn't know what she would do when did tell her. It would be good to have some support. "Yeah."

Ayeka smiled. "Than I shall be there when you need me."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome," she said. "So how do you plan to tell her?"

"I don't know. I'll ask grandpa for advice tomorrow, maybe he'll know some way we can tell her with out hurting her too much."

"All right, we can keep everything a secret until you're ready to tell her."

"I love you," he said.

"I love you too," she said as she nuzzled his shoulder.

* * *

It had been a pretty good day for Ryoko so far. It was nice and sunny day outside with the occasional warm breeze. Washu hadn't bothered her yet. The baby hadn't screamed once all afternoon. Mihoshi and Sasami weren't too loud with their giddy laughter during afternoon cartoons. And perhaps best yet, Ayeka had not pestered her to do her chores all day.

Soon Tenchi would be back from the fields and her day would be complete.

As if she were psychic just then door slid open and Tenchi announced he was home. Sasami and Mihoshi gave their usual cheerful welcomes from the kitchen, as their daily routine demanded. Kiyone was upstairs changing Mayuka and could therefore not participate in the ritual.

As she floated down from the rafter Ryoko considered whether she should greet him enthusiastically or subtly. The enthusiastic greeting was more fun for her but the subtle greeting usually got a better reaction from Tenchi and Ayeka was less likely to throw a fit. She decided on the subtle greeting, for now.

She phased through the wall. "Ten-chi," she sang.

She stopped when she saw Ayeka taking off her shoes with Tenchi. She suddenly became suspicious. "And just what were you two up to?"

"Oh, I was just helping Tenchi put away his tools," Ayeka said.

"Uh-huh." Well that made sense to Ryoko. It wouldn't have been the first time that Ayeka had helped Tenchi with chores. But something didn't seem right.

That's when she smelled it. Pheromones, and a lot of them too, male and female. Something must have happened between them while they were away. She decided to probe deeper for information.

"So what did you do this afternoon?"

"I went for a walk," Ayeka said plainly.

'Liar,' Ryoko thought as Ayeka passed her and went upstairs. She knew Ayeka was lying. She wasn't stupid. Something had to have happened between Tenchi and Ayeka.

Whatever had happened she would find out soon enough. Maybe it was nothing, maybe Ayeka had fallen down and her skirt fell open and she flashed Tenchi her panties. That could be it.

It was probably nothing that she should worry too much about.

* * *

Tenchi had everything that he could ever want. He had a beautiful baby girl that he loved and adored above all else. He had a beautiful girlfriend whom he loved and she loved him right back. What more could he possibly want?

Tenchi was convinced that the last few days were the best of his life. He couldn't remember a time when he had been this happy.

All those secret rendezvous when they would kiss and cuddle. When she would playfully poke him with her feet under the dinner table. Things had never been better.

Prehaps these 'good times' were why he had been putting off telling Ryoko.

But it wasn't like he never intended to tell her; he just found it incredibly difficult to bring himself to do so. It was so much easier to put it off until the next day. It wasn't like he had done nothing either, he had gone to talk with grandpa just like he told Ayeka he would. Grandpa had basically told him that no matter how he told Ryoko she would take it poorly. That the best he could do was to be honest with her.

Of course this was not news that Tenchi liked hearing. But he resolved that the next day he would tell her no matter what happened. Then he resolved the same thing the day after that and then again the day after that.

He knew that he couldn't keep postponing this forever. Ryoko wasn't stupid. She would figure things out eventually. He already feared that she suspected something was going on behind her back.

Tenchi sat back on his bed. This wasn't the way it was supposed to be. He had everything he could possibly ever want these should be happy times. But now he was sitting under a cloud of guilt and worry.

He was mad at himself for not being honest with her, for treating her this way. At times even Ayeka seemed disappointed with him for his lack of resolve.

He had to do something and do it soon.

This was when Washu phased through the door of his room. Tenchi yelped in surprise. "W-Washu, I didn't know you could do that."

Washu smiled. "It's a simple matter really, all you have to do is slightly alter the electromagnetic field created by your body's atoms. Most objects are mostly empty space. Solid objects seem solid because of the electromagnetic forces created by the atoms, they're so strong that matter can't pass through. Once the fields in your body have been altered you can pass through any solid object. The only thing that you need to remain in phase is the thin layer that is in contact with whatever ever surface your body is resting on, and it's easy to push that layer through. At least that's the simple explanation of how it's done. I could teach you to do it if you'd like."

"Um... maybe later."

She sighed. "We have to talk."

He nodded.

"You haven't talked to her yet have you?"

"No. I've talked to Ayeka but I haven't talked to Ryoko yet."

"You have to tell her," Washu explained. Her eyes widened ruefully. "She deserves to know. She already suspects something is going on between the two of you, but she keeps denying it. She doesn't want to admit it even though it's right there in front of her face. She holds on to whatever hope she still has.

"I'd rather you tell her then she finds out when she catches you two doing something. That would hurt her ten times more I think."

He nodded. He knew she was right, every word of it.

"You'll have to tell her soon. If you're not able to tell her I'll have to." With that she phased through the door and out of the room.

* * *

Ryo-ohki bounded through the halls, enjoying her freedom. Mayuka was asleep, so she had no fear of being grabbed and shaken. Sasami had taken to bed, and while the cabbit usually slept with the princess she wasn't quite tired yet.

Her ears twitched as she picked up the sound of girlish giggling coming from Tenchi's room. This was unusual. The sounds that usually came from Tenchi's room at this time of night were screams like: "Ryoko, get off of me!" Of course, she thought this was worth investigating.

She hopped towards the door only to find it in her way again. She shook her head and took a step a back. She leapt forward again and found herself in Tenchi's room.

She saw Tenchi and Ayeka in there, on the floor. She was lying on top of him, with her hands and head resting on his chest. Occasionally he would say something or do something to her, causing her to giggle like a schoolgirl. Every so often their lips would meet. This was so odd that Ryo-ohki decided to watch them for little while. Fortunately for her they never noticed.

Eventually they separated. Ayeka told him to meet him at the same time but in a different place. Tenchi agreed and told her that he loved her. She told him the same.

Ryo-ohki shrugged her shoulders and hoped out of the room, before Ayeka had left. She figured that there was nothing else to see.

* * *

Today was the day and Tenchi dreaded it. But he wouldn't turn back now; he had to do it. He knew it was the only fair thing he could do.

If only he could find Ryoko.

He had been searching for her for the better part of the past three hours, and still nothing. He had checked all of her favorite places, her rafter, the onsen, the roof, the library, her room, and even the cave. Yet still no luck.

Now he was searching the woods around his house. He hadn't brought Ayeka with him. He felt that this was something he should do alone and that it might be best if she wasn't there when everything happened, because he wasn't sure what would happen.

Eventually he found her sitting on the edge of a cliff, staring out into the wilderness. The only motion was caused by the wind going through her hair.

"Ryoko?"

She didn't move.

Slowly, he approached her. As he got closer he could see the sticky trails of tears left on her face. He could see her red, bloodshot eyes, exhausted from weeping. He could only come up with one conclusion, she must already know.

"Ryoko?" he asked again.

"Tell me you were only doing it for fun," she said softly. "Tell me you only did and said those things with Ayeka because it felt good."

Tenchi could do nothing but look at her and feel his heart breaking.

"Tell me!" she shouted. She turned to look him in the eyes.

"I can't," he whispered.

"Damn you Tenchi Masaki. Damn you! Damn you! Damn you!"

He couldn't even look at her anymore. He couldn't bear to see her pained expression. He turned to gaze at the brown pine needles littering the forest floor. "I'm sorry."

Ryoko wiped her nose and looked back over the edge of the cliff. "Do you love her?" she spat out.

"Yes."

There was no hesitation or indecisiveness in his voice. He said yes with the same certainty as if he had been asked if the world was round.

"You love her," she whispered. "And you don't love me."

"No!" he shouted. "I mean yes, I love you."

For a brief second Ryoko's spirit soared. He said he loved her. So what if he said that he loved Ayeka as well, at least she could go through with her life with the knowledge that Tenchi loved her.

"But I don't think it's the way you want me to," he whispered.

Ryoko choked and her tears began to flow anew. "Why?!" she shouted. "Why can't you love me!? I've done everything for you! For your entire life I've been there for you! And now you betray me like this! And you didn't even have the decency to tell me! I had to find out about your little *thing* with Ayeka from Ryo-ohki!"

He said the only thing he could. "I'm sorry."

"You're sorry," spat out Ryoko. "That's all you have to say. You're sorry! After everything we've been through that's all you can say."

Tenchi looked back at Ryoko as he wrung his hands together. "I don't know what else to say."

"Tell me that you're lying," Ryoko said. "Tell me that none of this is true. That this is just a dream."

"I can't," said Tenchi.

"Please!" Ryoko pleaded. "I'll do *anything.* Just tell me that this isn't happening, it can't be happening."

"I-I'm not going to lie," he replied.

She turned to him, desperate for a way out of this. "If I've done anything wrong I'll make it up to you, and whatever Ayeka's doing for you I'll do it ten times better."

"That's not the problem," he mumbled.

"Please!" Ryoko screamed. "Tell me what I need to do."

"There's nothing."

Ryoko wiped away her tears. "Fine, whatever. I hope you have fun fucking her." Then she disappeared.

To be continued in the next chapter, A Phoenix from the Flames.

An apology: First off, I'm sorry this has taken so long to get out. Frequent computer problems and my entrance into graduate school have delayed this fic far more than I liked. I'm sorry for this and I hope you will forgive me.

A special thanks to my prereaders, Plug, BlaqueTalon, Alan, and Serenity McCloud, I couldn't have pulled this off with out you guys.

Thanks for reading.

HD^_^