Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ No Need for Alternates ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Tenchi Muyo: No Need for Alternates! Part Two

Tenchi watched the two of them and sweatdropped. Quickly finishing off his breakfast he announced, "I think I'll go outside."

Tenchi slid the screen aside and stepped outside, turning back to shut it behind him. He took a step off the porch only to freeze in place. Two different incarnations of himself were fighting it out, one looking vaguely pirate like using Tenchi's old sword, the other dressed just like a Galaxy Police officer and using the Lighthawk sword!

"Stop that," Tenchi cried out.

"Don't you dare interfere with the fight, I've got money on the pirate," a woman's voice called from just above him.

Tenchi looked up to see the roof lined with several different versions of Ryouko, Nagi, Minagi, and Zero. All of them were watching the fight and laying money on who would win, loudly cheering on their favorite.

"I can't believe this," Tenchi muttered.

"I can, very easily," another Minagi noted, shaking her head. An adult Sasami held on to her arm as well, but in this case it was far more willingly.

"It's so romantic, being back on Earth again," Sasami sighed, gently pulling a blushing Minagi down into a kiss.

Tenchi shook his head and decided to go for a walk through the woods and up to the shrine. He was a little startled by how many pairs of Ryouko and Ayeka he stumbled across, but decided not to think about it.

The stone stairway up to the shrine took a bit of effort to climb, but it felt good making his way up there, like a kind of cleansing through effort. He reached the top, only to see several versions of his grandfather talking with each other.

"I tend to think Ryouko has the best set," one offered, politely pouring out a generous amount of sake for his compatriots.

They each slugged back their drinks in a single go, gasping softly. "Possibly," another nodded, "but I think Mihoshi's have the most bounce."

"Ayeka's are a bit smaller," a third offered, "but certainly perky."

All three nodded thoughtfully at that.

Tenchi turned right around and headed back down the steps, firmly telling himself over and over that they could not have been talking about what he thought they were talking about. At least, he certainly hoped they weren't.

As he descended the steps Tenchi noticed a dark haired girl sitting on one of the steps, talking cheerfully to one of the many versions of Ryouko. "Hi," Tenchi politely offered her his hand, "I don't think we've met before."

"No, we haven't," she shook it firmly, adding with a pleasant smile, "My name is Tenchi Masaki." She looked at him thoughtfully, "Are we related, or something?"

Tenchi gaped at his female twin in shock and searched for something to say, all the while thinking, 'Washu, I hope you fix things soon.'

"So you're Ryouko's co-parents?" the taller Washu asked the newly arrived pair of Washu and Yume. Several different Washus and Yumes were gathered around and on the machine, working on different parts all at the same time.

"Yes," Washu nodded, taking Yume's hand in hers.

"Well, I'm co-wife of Emperor Tenshi of Jurai, along with Mihoshi," the tall Washu explained to them cheerfully.

Work actually stopped for a moment as they all exclaimed, "Mihoshi?!"

"You have my sympathies," the first Washu remarked with a smile.

"Oh, Mihoshi isn't that bad," the taller Washu smirked knowingly.

At that remark there was a group sweatdrop. "It was quite difficult matchmaking her and Kiyone on my world," yet another Washu noted as she tried to change the subject, "but that was more due to Kiyone's stubbornness."

"That seems to be a constant," Washu noted, still holding her lover Yume's hand, "Kiyone is stubborn as lead Captain of Ryouko's fleet in our world, too."

The first Yume asked her counterpart softly, "Is it good, being with Washu?"

"I would not trade her for anything," was the other Yume's answer.

Sounding quite cross a third Yume asked the others, "Could we all please stop gossiping and get back to work?"

From underneath the machine they heard a voice cry out, "I've got it!"

A very grubby Yume and Washu wiggled out from underneath the Dimension Tuner, quickly hopping to their feet. "I think we can end this by reversing the first distortion," Washu exclaimed.

"If we send the elder Sasami back home," the greasy Yume continued, "the alternate selves should return to their own worlds." They soon got whom they thought were the original inhabitants of the house together to explain the situation, but didn't receive enthusiastic support.

"But I don't want to go home yet," the adult Sasami complained, keeping a firm grip on the struggling Ryouko's arm.

"Yeah," little Sasami said tearfully, "she still has recipes to teach me."

"Besides," the older Sasami pouted, "it's so fun teasing Ryouko."

"But wouldn't you rather be with me?" an amused sounding voice asked her as she passed through the wall into the living room.

Yet another Ryouko stood there, on the surface looking much the same as her many other selves. The greatest difference seemed to be in her eyes, a relaxed, merry twinkle shining within. This older woman was happy, and it showed.

"Ryouko!" Sasami cried, letting go of the younger Ryouko and leaping up to run to her love. Her Ryouko held her close, and they kissed passionately.

"I was worried about you," Ryouko murmured, gently stroking Sasami's hair.

The younger Ryouko looked at the two of them, an odd expression on her face. "They really are in love..." she muttered to herself softly.

Sasami smiled, "Oh, well, it was fun while it lasted." She looked over at her younger self, "Remember what I told you."

"I will," little Sasami nodded.

"I'm ready," the elder Sasami said to Washu. A small device was placed on her brown, then activated. Sasami and her Ryouko both slowly faded away.

Around the room the alternate versions disappeared, leaving Yume, Washu, and the others standing there bemusedly. "I sort of wish the elder version of myself stayed around," Ryouko muttered to herself softly.

"Why?" Tenchi asked.

"I'd like to have known how I could have ended up with Sasami," Ryouko admitted.

"I wonder if the elder Sasami told our version," Ayeka said, looking around for Sasami.

"She went into the kitchen," Yume volunteered. She walked over to where Washu was standing, "Could I talk to you a moment?"

"Sure," Washu smiled. Oddly, when they left the room they were holding hands.

Washing the breakfast dishes, a humming Sasami smiled to herself mysteriously.

Sometime in the future...

Sasami and Ryouko cuddled together, watching the sun set. "Should you have told your younger self what you did?" Ryouko asked softly.

"Would it surprise you to know I remember being told by my future self that you'd fall in love with me?" Sasami chuckled.

"Explains why you took my proposal so well," Ryouko laughed. She looked thoughtful, "It was so easy falling in love with you, you know."

"Really?" Sasami asked.

"I fell without even knowing it," Ryouko smiled. "You were always so kind to me, so caring. Even when I lost my temper, you were there to help cool me down," she said softly, "and as you grew up, my own feelings deepened, affection becoming love."

"It took you long enough to notice me," Sasami laughed.

"You know," Ryouko said thoughtfully, "I missed you waking me up this morning."

Sasami smiled, "Why don't we go to bed early, to make up for it?"

"Sounds like a plan," Ryouko grinned. Arm in arm they walked inside together, firmly shutting the doors behind them.

Author's Notes:

Yes, I know I've used the Dimensional Tuner in a fic before, but I didn't want to just make up some new device that Yume made, when there was already a perfectly good device in the Tenchi Universe Series.

This is set in the Tenchi Universe and Tenchi Manga continuity. Roughly, anyway. I was inspired by a request for any Sasami/Ryouko fics, and the odd idea of Ryouko waking up with an adult Sasami in her bed just hit me. Originally I was going to do a standard time travel story, when it occurred to me that alternate realities might be involved. So, a x-over between all my Tenchi Muyo related fics was born!

How likely is it that Ryouko and Sasami could get together? Ryouko regards Sasami fondly, but more as a big sister to little sister. Under the right circumstances, it could develop into something more, but in the episodes and mangas I've seen, they remain friends...

The characters and stories in the crossover are:

Empress Ryouko, her parents and Queen Ayeka are from my fic, 'Tenchi Muyo: Conquest!'

The tall Washu along with the romantic Minagi and Sasami are from 'No need for Regrets.'

The romantic Mihoshi and Kiyone, along with their Washu are from 'No Need for Dreaming.' The bartending Ryouko and Minagi are visiting from my series Arisugawa's Locket.

The 'alone' Mihoshi is from the OVA series.

The various Grandfathers are from OVA, TV and Manga series.