Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ No Need for Regrets ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Tenchi Muyo! No Need for Regrets: Part Two

Minagi repeated what they said for the third or fourth time, the information finally starting to actually sink in "It's been over one hundred years?"

Sasami and Washu both nodded to her in stereo, and Minagi groaned loudly and put her head into her hands. "I'm sorry, Minagi," Washu said to her softly, reaching over to pat her gently on the shoulder. "I wish I had been able to cure you faster, but there was just no way," she finished intensely, almost pleadingly.

"Washu has been working tirelessly to save you," Sasami added quietly. "If there was any other way, I'm sure she would have found it."

"It's all right," Minagi said with a casual wave of her hand, even as she forced a brave smile onto her face. She suddenly froze for a moment, then blurted out, "My ship, Hinase!" Minagi tried to stand, only to have Sasami rise to restrain her, her hand gentle on Minagi's arm.

"It's fine," Sasami quickly reassured her. "I've been visiting and helping take care of her, as well as taking turns with the others."

Minagi sighed softly in relief, and Washu smiled a little. "You do have quite a sense of responsibility, even for a good space-pirate," she teased her gently, with a bit of a mother's pride showing in her tone of voice.

Minagi stuck her tongue out at Washu, and the tension in the room dropped a bit. "What happened to everybody, anyway?" Minagi asked the two of them curiously.

A few minutes of explanation later, Minagi stared at Washu a moment in surprise, then she grinned widely. "Congratulations, Mom!" Minagi said happily, hugging Washu fiercely. "Co-wife to Tenchi, Emperor of Jurai. So who's the other wife?"

Sasami grinned impishly, leaning back in her chair as she answered "Mihoshi." She didn't add anything else, just sat there and waited for Minagi's reaction.

She wasn't disappointed, as Minagi looked over at her in stunned disbelief. "You're kidding me, right?" Minagi asked each of them a bit desperately. Sasami and Washu both shook their heads, no, and Minagi sweatdropped.

The soft sound of a chime brought Washu's attention to her wristband. She activated a small device mounted there and a three dimensional image of Tenchi appeared before them. He looked only a little older, but carried a aura of responsibility and duty. The formal robes of the Emperor fit him well, or maybe Tenchi had simply grown to fit them, instead.

"Washu, you're late for breakfast," Tenchi chided Washu gently, only to freeze when he saw Minagi sitting there beside Sasami and Washu. "You're awake," he said to her happily!

Minagi smiled up at his image a bit shyly, "You look good, milord. I understand it's been a long time, too."

Emperor Tenchi groaned at the use of his title. "I get enough of that from the court," he said with a small laugh. "I'm still just Tenchi, Minagi, besides you're one of the family, stepdaughter," he said, the last bit with an impish smile on his face.

Minagi's mouth dropped open. Obviously, it hadn't yet occurred to her that Tenchi was, at least technically, now her 'dad'. He, Washu and Sasami all broke into a fit of giggles, and she glared around the circle until they got themselves under control.

Washu got up and took off her long lab coat to reveal that she was wearing a set of semi casual robes underneath it. "My dear husband," she said to the still happily grinning Tenchi, "has just reminded me about a major diplomatic breakfast Mihoshi, Tenchi and I have to attend." She looked apologetically towards Minagi, and then asked Sasami, "I'm sorry, but would you mind helping Minagi with any questions, until I can get back?"

Sasami nodded eagerly, and Washu hesitantly moved to give Minagi a hug. Minagi looked a bit surprised, but she relaxed into the hug after a moment, as Washu softly said to her "Everything will be all right, I promise." Minagi watched a slightly embarrassed Washu walk away, an odd little smile on Minagi's face.

"You're probably going to have that happen to you a lot," Sasami said to Minagi with a smile on her face. As she was talking she went to a nearby compartment and then removed one of Minagi's usual bodysuits. "You'll probably be a little more comfortable in this," Sasami added, a fond smile on her face. "We made a few up for you, hoping you'd get the chance to wear them soon."

Minagi looked down at the light medical sleeve she was wearing and nodded eagerly, "Thank you, Sasami!" She took her clothes from Sasami's hands even as she quickly pulled the clasps of her own garb open. In moments she was completely nude, then she pulled her fresh clothes on with no signs of any false modestly.

Sasami looked on wide-eyed as Minagi changed right in front of her. She had seen Minagi's nude body, of course, when she was helping Washu treat her. But now it seemed so different, the blood was pumping in her veins as she found she couldn't seem to look away.

Once Minagi was fully dressed, she turned back to say something to Sasami, only to meet her glazed stare. Only then did Minagi realize she might have offended her young friend with such a show of blatant nudity! "I'm sorry, Sasami..." Minagi started to say.

"No, it's all right," Sasami hurriedly assured Minagi, her cheeks still flushed bright red. "It's not anything I haven't seen before." She added in a rush, eager to try and change the topic "Would you like to go outside?"

As they walked together through the crowded halls of the hospital, she saw the visible respect Sasami was treated with. Even those of obviously noble blood quickly cleared the way for her! Minagi noticed that she, on the other hand, the people didn't know quite what to make of, other than the typical case of fear and terror her resemblance to Ryouko usually caused.

'You'd think the scarred cheeks would give people a clue I'm not her,' Minagi thought to herself wearily. She felt Sasami move, and noticed the shorter woman smiling up at her a little. Somehow, it made her feel a little better.

They stepped outside, and after taking in the view a moment, Minagi said softly "Wow." Jurai still was, like the last time Minagi had visited, a strange mix of healthy green fields and plant life, and the highly advanced, organic technology that had made Jurai a great power across many systems. They stood there together a moment, letting the fresh breeze wash over them, the sunlight gently warming their skin, until Minagi shook herself.

Minagi turned to smile at Sasami and finally asked her "I noticed you never said what happened to you?"

Sasami blushed, brightly. "Ayeka and I, we're Tenchi's top diplomats." she explained in her usual shy way to Minagi. She elaborated "We settle disputes on colony worlds, help oversee the Galaxy Police, and whatever other jobs Tenchi needs us to do."

"I'm very impressed," Minagi admitted, smiling at Sasami, a little shy too. She found herself looking at Sasami again, at the beautiful young woman who had grown so unexpectedly from the girl she had once known. "You're a bit more older looking than I would have expected," Minagi said to her, a little awkwardly.

Sasami smiled and shrugged. "Age is more a matter of choice for citizens of Jurai," she explained, "and I felt a lot older than I looked, so I decided to change my appearance to something a bit closer to my mental age." She smiled a bit, pushing her hair back nervously as she asked "You don't mind?"

"You look good," Minagi said to her softly. Sasami turned to look up at Minagi, and Minagi suddenly found herself lost in Sasami's eyes again. She couldn't get over how attractive Sasami had become, and she found it a little disturbing how she reacted to her!

Sasami gazed up into Minagi's catlike eyes, and again felt the stirring in her chest, the feeling almost like pain. She had thought it was just gratitude, at first, but as the years past and she toiled to save Minagi, she knew the feeling was deeper, and much stronger. 'It could even be love,' Sasami admitted to herself.

Minagi swayed a bit towards Sasami, and Sasami took a hesitant half step forward, almost reaching the circle of Minagi's arms...

"Minagi, you're all right!" Ryouko's happy voice cut through the moment, and they jerked apart! Ryouko swooped down and clenched Minagi into a fierce hug, spinning her 'little sister' in a tight circle!

"It's good to see you, Minagi," Ayeka said, having walked up at a more reasonable, dignified pace. Once Ryouko let Minagi go, Ayeka then pulled her into a gentler hug, herself. "We've all missed you, my friend," Ayeka said softly, tears in her eyes.

"Myah!" the voice came from Minagi's feet. She looked down to see Ryo- ohki frantically rubbing up against her leg, the little cabbit purring at her happily. "Myah, myah MYAH myah!" she said happily.

Minagi bent down to scratch behind Ryo-ohki's ears, and it purred louder. "It's good to see you, too," Minagi said smiling.

"When did you wake up?" Ryouko demanded to Minagi crossly. "We were on our way to the official 'Let's wake up Minagi' party Washu spent weeks planning, when we received a one line message that you woke up early, instead!" she complained.

"Just this morning," Minagi said, smiling over at them fondly. Minagi was used to Ryouko's shows of temper, and she had learned they were rarely genuine.

"Don't worry, Ryouko," Ayeka gently chided her, a broad smile on her face. "I'm sure we'll be having a big party anyway, now that we can celebrate Minagi's finally being awake," she finished. The scowl on Ryouko's face seemed to soften as Ayeka gently lay her hand soothingly on Ryouko's arm. Ryouko smiled back at her, relaxing a bit.

"I guess our over-achiever here just had to be up and around," Sasami forced herself to joke with them. She was so irritated at their interruption, she could just scream! She fought hard to swallow her anger, she knew Ayeka could always read her like a open book and she really didn't want to give away what she was feeling. 'Especially since I'm not too sure about those feelings myself,' she admitted to herself.

As they both caught Minagi up on their lives, she found herself watching Ayeka and Ryouko together. They smiled, touched each other often, and Minagi realized she had never seen either one of them look any happier. 'They're in love with each other,' she thought, more than a bit surprised by that news, 'I wonder how long that's been going on?'

"So, Sasami tells me you two are diplomats?" Minagi forced herself to ask them, even though she was still consumed by thoughts of the new knowledge she had discovered.

"Yeah," Ryouko laughs a bit, adding "Ayeka's the brains of the outfit, and I'm the muscle!" She then made a over-dramatic body-builder's pose, and even Sasami joined them as they broke into a case of the group giggles.

"It's not quite that simple," Ayeka said as she chuckled under her breath. "Over the years Ryouko's met so many unusual alien species that her knowledge has been quite invaluable to me," Ayeka finished softly, looking adoringly up at Ryouko. Ryouko blushed, and then she reached out to take Ayeka's hand.

They talked a little while longer, until a cautiously smiling official appeared at Ayeka's side to whisper something softly in her ear. He seemed to try and keep as much distance between himself and Ryouko as possible. Ryouko grinned as she confided quietly to Minagi, "The little paper pushers are terrified of me! It's great."

Ayeka listened to the message, nodded, and then said to Minagi and Sasami, "I'm sorry, but Ryouko and I need to brief Tenchi on our last mission. Sasami," she put extra force behind her next words, "we'll see each other at the predestined time."

"What was that about?" Minagi asked, frowning, as Ayeka dragged an oddly smiling Ryouko away! She turned to see Sasami frowning at the pairs retreating forms.

"Oh," Sasami said, turning back to Minagi and forcing a smile, "I'm not entirely sure." She looked up at Minagi, and for a moment seemed at a loss for words.

Minagi asked hesitantly, "Ayeka and Ryouko, are they...?" She trailed off, unable to finish asking the question.

"They're lovers, yes," Sasami said softly, looking up at Minagi worriedly. "Does that bother you?" she asked her softly in return.

Minagi shook her head, no. "Actually, I think I'm glad for them," she said to Sasami softly, "I have never seen Ryouko with such a happy look on her face. Or Ayeka, either," she added the last with a impish smile on her face.

Sasami smiled shyly and took Minagi's arm in her own. She seemed about to say something more when she caught sight of her chronometer. "Oh, no," she groaned aloud softly, "I'm going to be late!" She looked up and Minagi and said in a little girl voice, "Would you mind going with me on a little errand?"

Minagi looked over at Sasami thoughtfully, then shrugged helplessly. "Sure, why not," she answered in a preoccupied tone. 'What was she going to say to me?' Minagi wondered. They bustled down several hallways until they came upon a unmarked door.

Sasami gently opened it, revealing pitch-black darkness inside. "Minagi," she said frowning, "the power seems to be out. Could you go in first, please?"

"Well, all right," Minagi said, stepping into the dark room.

Before she could take another step, multiple voices loudly yelled "SURPRISE!"

The lights suddenly came on and she saw the small room was decked out for a party! Tenchi, Mihoshi, and Washu grinned at her from one side, and Ayeka, Ryouko, and Ayeka and Sasami's mothers, the former Empresses Misaki and Funaho smiled cheerfully at her from the other. Asahi and Gohgei from Ryuten were there as well, old friends from their earlier adventures. A extremely large chocolate cake rested on a nearby table with the words 'Welcome back!' on it, the table also strained to the breaking point with food and beverages!

The Empress Mihoshi suddenly dropped any pretense at dignity or restraint and hit Minagi with a flying hug, bawling loudly. "Oh, Minagi! I'm so glad you're back!" she sobbed, resting her head on Minagi's shoulder, and quickly soaking the shoulder pad on her costume.

After a few minutes, Minagi managed to disengage herself from the happily weeping Mihoshi only to then be hit with Misaki's flying hug, instead! "Thank you so much, for saving our daughter," a more serious Funaho said to her, watching with a small smile on her face as Minagi struggled to get free of the joyful Misaki's death grip.

Minagi looked over at Funaho while she was still circled in Misaki's arms, and blushed a bit as she said softly, "It was my pleasure."

Funaho just smiled mysteriously as she said to her, "Sasami is very glad you recovered." She continued, staring meaningfully at Minagi "I want you to know that we're very happy to have you in our extended family."

Minagi sweatdropped at that reply, and she wondered if, maybe, she had said something wrong. Or misunderstood what Funaho was saying.

Asashi made her way over to Minagi's side, smiling up at her. The dark hared younger woman held the fighting monk Gohgei's arm as if she never intended to let it go. "I'm glad to see you recovered," she said cheerfully.

Gohgei nodded thoughtfully, "Sasami has missed you greatly."

Minagi was a bit surprised by the gentle emphasis he put on his words. As the party really got underway, Minagi made her way to where Sasami was standing in a quiet corner, mock glared at the broadly smiling girl and said, "Oh, are you going to pay for this!"

Sasami grinned cheerfully back at her, "Promises, promises."

Minagi laughed softly as the sweet sound of Jurai's formal dance music began to play. 'Why not,' Sasami thought to herself, stepping up to stand by Minagi. "Would you like to dance?" Sasami asked Minagi with as much courage as she could possibly muster.

Minagi looked a bit surprised, then she reached out to gently take Sasami in her arms. They moved out to a open area of the room and then began to gently sway together to the soft music. "You're pretty good at this," Minagi said to Sasami softly, cradling her close to her as they slow danced together.

"No," Sasami said with a blush, "I think you just lead very well." Neither one said any more as they continued to dance together until the music finally stopped.