Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ No Need for Regrets ❯ Author's Notes ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Tenchi Muyo! No Need for Regrets

Author's Notes and Closing Comments

Minagi, for those who are fans of the Tenchi Muyo anime, but have not yet read the companion series of manga comics, is the artificially created "daughter" of Ryouko, although she is usually treated in the series as simply being Ryouko's "little sister". They are almost identical in their appearance, except for the crescent shaped scars Minagi bears on each side of her face. She first appeared in No Need For Tenchi TP #1, and she also makes a major appearance in the story arc in books #4-6 (Samurai Space Opera, Unreal Genius, and Dream a little Scheme).

So why did I suddenly decide I wanted to write a Minagi/Sasami fic? Well, there's an very interesting chemistry between Minagi and Sasami from almost as soon as they first meet. Sasami instantly bonds to the mysterious young woman, at one point even tearfully pleading with her to stay with them. When Minagi reappears in the later story arc, they are more reserved to each other, but Minagi still seems to feel a very strong bond with Sasami. It's interesting that Ryouko points out Sasami being in jeopardy to force Minagi to save Minagi and Sasami's lives.

As I didn't want to do a 'older woman in love with a much younger girl' fic, I included the 100 year time gap, as well as having Sasami casually mention to Minagi that she had artificially 'aged' her own appearance. As Sasami's people appear to age very slowly indeed, it was the best way I could see to bring their ages closer to being in synch. Then there's the whole Tsunami issue...

I've only seen the Tsunami appearance in OVA #6, and when she appeared in one manga book. In both cases, Tsunami looked to be under Sasami's control, and overall very passive. Taking some advice from several Tenchi fans on www.shoujoai.com, I altered how I initially planned to mention her, and I hope I haven't handled her too badly. If I have made any gross errors, please let me know and I'll try my best to fix them.

Why marry off Tenchi to Washu and Mihoshi, you may ask? I think that Washu has honest, strong feelings for Tenchi, as does Mihoshi. Both can be very kind, steady people, a character trait I really think you'd need to have when married to a guy like Tenchi! ^_^;

Now if Kiyone was alive in the manga, it'd be a whole different story!

I did try to consider both Ayeka and Ryouko as marriage candidates, but I always got the feeling Ryouko was playing with Tenchi, rather than being very serious about him. Ayeka also seemed to get interested in Tenchi more as a reaction to Ryouko's own interest, I think (See 'Time and Space Adventures', in Tenchi Universe for an interesting view of their relationship!).

Ryouko and Ayeka are one of my favorite couples. Both strong, determined women who have only really found their equals in each other. Putting them together in the diplomatic corps gives them plenty of time alone together, and the adventure that both of them have learned to enjoy. I suspect Tenchi sends them out to various 'hot spots' intentionally...

I actually had a bit of fun with some of the supporting cast. Hinase was pretty funny, and I'm actually developing a fondness for Funaho and Masaki. They're a regular odd couple all on their own! I found I liked the idea of almost every other character being somehow involved in an organized attempt to set Minagi and Sasami up!