Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Tenchi Muyo: No Need For Boys! ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters from this fanfic. Some of the material for this story was taken from Tenchi Muyo OVA #5, freely adapted for the purposes of this story.

Tenchi Muyo: No Need for Boys! Part Eight

Far above the Earth, between the planet and it's moon the massive starship hung, the Soja. Down winding corridors to a massive chamber, and a man standing there, his glasses gleaming in the light. "It's time," the light purple haired man murmured softly, and disappeared.

The cave was damp and dark, the light that formerly filled it having gone away weeks ago. The man reappeared there, looking about him thoughtfully, "So this was your prison, my Ryouko." A slight smile, "It doesn't matter, you may have found what I was looking for regardless."

Meanwhile, in another part of the shrine grounds, a council of war was being held. "Kagato," Tenchi echoed the name softly as they sat around a table at the Masaki household. Mihoshi's arrival at the hot-springs had cut the trip short, and as discretely as possible they had all made their way back to the shrine itself.

"The Most Wanted criminal in the galaxy," Mihoshi confirmed, "also called the Ruins Buster, he has despoiled cultural monuments and historical sites across the galaxy."

"And he's coming here," Ayeka said weakly. Her jaw tightened, "Using my ship and Ryo-Ohki we could evacuate, possibly lead him away."

"Won't work," with a shake of her head Ryouko said softly, "he'd just bombard the planet to blackmail us to come back."

"You'd know," Ayeka acknowledged, "you used to work for him."

Quite coolly Ryouko answered her, "Not willingly." She looked over at Tenchi and asked her, "Could I talk to you privately for a moment?"

Tenchi nodded slightly, "Of course." They left the building together, sliding the screen door shut behind them.

Left alone at the table Mihoshi leaned over to Ayeka, "She's so cute!"

"Who?" Ayeka blinked.

"Why, Tenchi of course!" Mihoshi beamed. Quite softly she asked her, "Are she and Miss Ryouko... involved?"

Ayeka sweatdropped, 'She's interested in her, too?' Firmly she said, "No, they are not." Adding silently, 'At least, I hope not.'

Ryouko and Tenchi looked out into the twilight together silently, standing side by side. "What's wrong?" Tenchi finally asked her gently.

"I want you to take the gems back," Ryouko said, holding up her one arm so that the light caught the red jewel there on her wrist.

"But why?" Tenchi looked at her in surprise.

Ryouko looked over at the dark haired girl with a slight smile, "Tenchi, Kagato was able to control me once before." Her eyes darkened as she said intensely, "I will not allow myself to be used as a weapon against you."

"Which is why you should keep the gems," Tenchi pointed out.

"Huh?" Ryouko blinked.

"Taking them away will merely weaken you, make you easier for him to control. Wearing them might just give you the strength you need to fight back," Tenchi said passionately.

"But Tenchi.." Ryouko started.

Tenchi put her finger softly but firmly on Ryouko's lips. "I believe in you, Ryouko," she smiled at her gently.

"Thank you," Ryouko reached up to take Tenchi's hand, then kissed it gently.

Inside Ayeka leaned up against the outer wall, feeling a sudden burst of shame at so blatantly easedropping on the two of them. She swiftly moved away from the door as Mihoshi and Sasami came in the room, giving them a slight smile.

"Dinner's ready," Sasami said happily.

"And it smells delish!" Mihoshi said happily.

"I'll let Tenchi and Ryouko know," Ayeka swiftly volunteered. She walked over and tapped gently on the screen, "Dinner's ready."

"Thanks," Ryouko called back to her. She smiled up at Tenchi, "I do hope you know what you're doing."

"Let's both hope," Tenchi smiled back. She stepped off the porch, "I'll go let my Grandfather know that the food's done."

"See you soon," Ryouko flickered away, teleporting inside.

Tenchi walked across the stone path, noting the leaves that had fallen. 'I'll have to sweep again tomorrow,' she thought, trying to divert herself from what she was about to do. She reached the dwelling almost too quickly, knocking on the door and calling, "Grandfather, it's Tenchi."

"Come in, Tenchi," his voice came from within.

The door slid open, revealing her grandfather kneeling on the floor, a cup of tea resting in front of him. Tenchi knelt down opposite him as she quietly said, "Dinner is ready." She hesitated, trying to find the right words to say.

"Something is troubling you," her grandfather noted calmly, "what is it?"

Tenchi had to fight back a smile as she thought, 'He always could read me like a book.' She took a breath, summoning the calm she had been trained to feel. "Your name wasn't always Katsuhito Masaki was it," she said softly, "you're Yosho, aren't you?"

Grandfather picked up the cup of tea, drinking a bit before setting it down again. "I haven't been called that in a very long time," he finally admitted. He looked over at Tenchi with those violet eyes, so like hers and Ayeka's and asked, "How did you know?"

"A lot of little things," Tenchi said softly, "how well you handled Ryouko's appearance, your knowledge of the sword, how you used knowledge of the Jurai legal system to help Ryouko and I, that and many other things. They just all finally added up to this."

Grandfather nodded slightly, "So what are you going to do with this knowledge?"

"Nothing right now," Tenchi said softly. Her expression grew intense, "We've been informed by a Galaxy Police officer that Kagato is on his was here."

"I am.. too old to fight him," her grandfather admitted rather reluctantly.

"I know," Tenchi agreed. A grim little smile, "But I want you to be ready to finish him off, or to rescue Ryouko and the others if I should fail."

"You're not the type to prepare for a worst case like this," he noted.

"I guess being in love does that to me," Tenchi said softly in reply. She got up, wincing slightly, "We'd better go to dinner, or Sasami will get cross."

"Indeed," Grandfather noted.

The older man fell in behind the young lady, lost in his thoughts. Tenchi had matured a great deal in the past few weeks, acquiring a depth beyond what mere training could provide. She had faced the crisis and come out of it like a fine sword, tempered in the fire. But would it be enough for her to face a foe like Kagato? He just didn't know.

THOOM!

"Oh hell," Tenchi took off running.

A few minutes before the ladies were preparing dinner when an odd, blue sphere of light materialized on the wall above them. It expanded a moment, glowing eerily, then retracted revealing a man, long purple hair flowing over his shoulders. He wore the garb of the planet Jurai, his golden eyes concealed by his glasses.

"Well, I finally found you, Ryouko," Kagato murmured, then his eyes widened slightly, "What..?"

Mihoshi, Ayeka and Ryouko all opened fire on him at the same time, blowing him right out of the building with a loud crash that could be heard for miles around.

Laying on the ground, his clothing smoking slightly Kagato shook himself as he muttered, "How dare she do that to.."

"Yaaa!" Tenchi charged him, sword ignited.

Kagato gestured, an blue energy blade forming in his hand, but he was badly rattled, and the blade was shattered by Tenchi's over hand strike. He flinched back, the only thing saving his face from further harm as the shining blade cut him from eyebrow to cheek!

'Can't let up,' Tenchi thought as she drove the shaken Kagato away from the ladies, 'according to Mihoshi and the others Kagato is a remorseless killer!'

"Damn you," with that growl Kagato was recovering, getting his guard back up. He gestured, and Tenchi heard Ryouko scream in agony.

Tenchi turned just a moment, but that distraction was enough for Kagato to strike at him brutally, sending the girl sprawling. But Tenchi's instincts kicked in, and she recovered with a roll putting her sword back up to guard position.

From the corner of her eye Tenchi could see Ryouko sprawled on the ground, electricity arcing around her body as Kagato's power struck at her. "Fight him," Tenchi cried out to her, "I know you can do it!"

There was a flash of white as Ryouko smiled. She looked up and fixed Kagato with a look that could melt steel, "I am your servant... no longer! I am no man's slave, not ever again!" She shuddered, then bonelessly collapsed.

That defiance seemed to effect Kagato more than his bleeding face as he said wonderingly, "Is this the greatest power of the universe? Is this what's contained in that blade?" Kagato rose up into the air, looking down at Tenchi thoughtfully, "That is the King's blade, are you quite certain you're wielding it properly?"

'King's blade?' Tenchi thought even as she strove to keep her shock from her face. "Well enough, it seems," Tenchi said to him firmly.

"She is my chosen successor," the firm voice declared, and Kagato shifted his gaze just enough to see Tenchi's grandfather there, wooden practice sword raised in ready position, "and she is more than enough to handle the likes of you."

"First Prince of Jurai's royal family, "Kagato murmured as the realization struck home, "of course, it would have to be you, Yosho."

The soft gasp of surprise from Princess Ayeka was barely heard, though a slight, sad smile appeared on Yosho's face.

Kagato stood his ground as Tenchi moved to one side, Yosho the other, and Ayeka and Mihoshi took up flanking positions. "The odds no longer favor me," her murmured. Flinging out his hand Ryouko was lifted off the ground and right into his grip, "If you will not serve me, you'll serve as bait instead." He glared at Tenchi, "Bring the sword and face me on Soja," he said coldly, "or you will never see her again."

With that, they both simply disappeared.

To be continued..