Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Tenchi Muyo: No Need For Boys! ❯ Chapter 12

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tenchi Muyo: No Need for Boys!

Part Twelve

Tenchi didn't really know what finally caused her to wake up. Gentle hands had cared for her, wiping the fever sweat away from her brow as she healed, quiet voices speaking to her. But it was one voice that had pulled her back, that and the soft sound of tears.

Ryouko sat in the chair beside the bed, her face buried in her hands as her shoulders shook. "If she doesn't recover," she mumbled softly, "I don't know what I'll do..."

"Hey," Tenchi croaked out, her voice rough from long disuse.

"Tenchi!" Ryouko all but threw herself on the bed, hugging the dark haired, pale looking young woman close to her.

"Oww," Tenchi hissed in pain, and Ryouko eased back. Tenchi smiled at her weakly and asked, "How long was I out?"

"Four days," Ryouko smiled at her, her own eyes still shining with tears. She reached up to wipe at her eyes, "It's been a hectic few days."

Tenchi levered herself up in her bed, getting into a sitting position. "What happened after we beat Kagato?" she asked, wondering if there were some other emergency to deal with.

"You beat, you mean," Ryouko said firmly. She chuckled softly as she leaned back in the chair, "It seems that Kagato and his ship Soja were connected somehow. When you cut him in half, you cut the ship, too."

Tenchi paled. "You're kidding."

"No," Ryouko shook her head with a smile, "I grabbed you up off the floor and we all bolted for Mihoshi's cruiser. That, along with the fact that Ayeka called her ship to pick us up, got us all off the ship just before it blew."

"So how's out patient doing today?" the cheerful voice asked as a short red headed woman came into Tenchi's view. She looked like a child, but her glance was piercing, far more mature than her appearance indicated.

"Fine," Tenchi blinked getting the oddest feeling she had seen her before. Giving up on her memory she finally just plaintively looked over at Ryouko.

"Tenchi Masaki," Ryouko had a slightly wry smile on her face as she gestured to the little red head, "I'd like you to meet my mother, Washu."

"Your mother?" Tenchi blurted.

"I know," Washu beamed, "I'm young looking for my age, it's my curse." She paused, giving Tenchi a much more serious look, "You were a very ill young woman there for awhile. Ryouko hasn't left your side for days."

Tenchi looked up at Ryouko, taking her hand and squeezing it gently in her own. "Thank you," she murmured softly.

Washu smiled to herself slightly as she slipped out of the room. 'Tenchi cares for her,' she thought, 'good.' She made her way down the hall, entering the living room and smiling at the crowd gathered there. "Tenchi's awake," she reported.

Mihoshi burst into tears, the dusky blonde throwing her arms around the startled Washu. "I'm so glad," she wept, "I knew you could help her!"

Ayeka quickly rose from her seat, then the dark purple haired princess hesitated. "Is Ryouko in there with her?" she asked. At Washu's nod Ayeka smiled slightly, "Then let's give them some time to be alone together."

"Thank you for telling us Washu," Grandfather rose with a little smile, "I'll go phone her father Nobuyuki and let him know that Tenchi is all right." As he passed by Ayeka he softly asked her, "Could I speak with you?"

"Of course," Ayeka fell into step behind him.

Grandfather made the call, quietly relaying the good news and listening with a slight smile to his son-in-law's happy babble. Setting the phone down in it's cradle he gave his sister a thoughtful look. "Are you.." he started to ask.

"I'm going home to Jurai," Ayeka nodded gracefully. Her eyes narrowed slightly, "I will be back, however. Maybe in a few years Tenchi will see through that mummy-girl..." She smiled a bit sadly, "And I'd like to leave this situation with some grace."

"I'm sorry you won't be staying," the older man admitted.

Ayeka looked up at him sadly, "You know, you could come back to Jurai with us. I'm sure our Mothers and Father would be glad to see you."

Yosho shook his head, "This is my home, now." A slightly sad smile, "And I'd rather have them remember me as I was, rather than what I look like now."

Ayeka reached up. wiping tears from her eyes. "I'll miss you, brother," she cried as she threw her arms around his waist, feeling those warm arms wrap around her gently.

From the living room Ryouko's irritable voice could be heard, "You know you really shouldn't be out of bed yet!"

Tenchi's reply was tinged with amusement, "I've been on my back for a few days. That means I'm more than rested up, thank you."

Ayeka smiled wryly at that noisy exchange before gently slipping free from her brother's warm grasp. "Shall we," she nodded towards the living room. Yosho didn't answer her aloud, he just fell into step beside right her. As they walked in they say Tenchi sitting down on the couch, surrounded by the other ladies.

"I'm glad you're feeling better Tenchi," Sasami beamed. She bounced to her feet, "Do you want some soup or something?"

"Just soup from now," Washu quickly corrected her, "we need to go easy on my daughter-in-law's stomach until she gets her strength back."

"I'll be right back," Sasami bounced off to the kitchen.

"Daughter-in-law?" Mihoshi beamed as she looked at Tenchi and Ryouko, "Don't tell me you tied the knot without telling us!"

Tenchi's cheeks went red as she unconsciously reached out to take Ryouko's hand, "I.. we haven't actually done anything just yet."

Ayeka felt a sharp burst of pain, closing her eyes against the sight. When she opened them up again she met Mihoshi's curious gaze, the girl looking over at her worriedly. A blush appeared on the officer's cheeks, and she looked away from Ayeka nervously.

"I'm glad," Grandfather's voice was dryly amused, "I'd rather not see you elope."

"Don't be such an old stick in the mud," Washu slapped him on the back heartily, nearly knocking him right over.

Ayeka stepped up beside Ryouko and Tenchi, noting with some amusement that Sasami was nearly spooning the bowl of soup right into Tenchi's mouth. "I hate to have to say this now," Ayeka said to Tenchi, "but Sasami and I are going to need to return to Jurai soon."

Tenchi fended off Sasami a moment, "Are you sure? If you want to stick around a bit I'm sure no one would mind."

Ayeka shook her head, "I've accomplished what I came here to do, I found my elder brother." She gave Grandfather a slight smile, "And I'm sure our parents would want to hear such joyous news from me in person."

Sasami looked a bit disappointed at the news but still nodded slightly, "Big sister's right."

"When you leaving?" Ryouko asked.

Ayeka gave her a suspicious look, "Tomorrow afternoon."

"I'll be there to see you off," Ryouko said firmly.

Tenchi nodded firmly, "We all will."

Ayeka nodded, an intentionally regal gesture, then with a more honest smile said, "Thank you, both of you." She then left the room silently, but wasn't too surprised to have Mihoshi leave the living room to quickly catch up with her. "Yes?" she asked, giving the officer a slight smile as they walked on together.

The two of them soon stepped outside on to the porch, looking out at the shrine buildings all around them. "When you go tomorrow," Mihoshi said softly, "I'd like to accompany you in my cruiser. It isn't as safe as it once was to travel, and I'd feel better shadowing you."

Ayeka looked over at the Galaxy Police officer, and noticed the dusky skinned blonde wasn't meeting her eyes. "I'd be glad to have you along," she finally answered, "both Sasami and I would be glad to have the company."

"Good, good," Mihoshi was blushing faintly under Ayeka's gaze. She straightened out her uniform shirt self-consciously, "I'd better go pack and stuff." With that she was gone, stumbling over the doorway as she almost fled.

Ayeka frowned slightly, watching her go. She had found herself enjoying fighting beside Mihoshi against Kagato, the seemingly ditzy woman showing a great deal of competence. With a slight blush she remembered awaking with her head resting in Mihoshi's lap, and the concerned way the young woman had looked down at her.

"She just wants to be a friend," Ayeka murmured. She shook her head to banish such thoughts and with a determined stride retreated to her rooms to pack.

Tenchi's strength began to come back to her, but she still tired easily. Ryouko gently helped the nightshirt clad girl get to bed early, helping support her as the walked closely together.

As Ryouko was easing Tenchi down to the side of the bed she smiled slightly, "Have I said yet that you look good in black and red?" she remarked, referring to the battle garb Tenchi had manifested against Kagato, in the colors that Ryouko normally wore.

Tenchi smiled back slightly, "It seemed like a good idea at the time." She began to lay back when she felt.. something, under the covers.

As Tenchi jerked forward whatever it was wiggled, making it's way out from under the blankets. "Myah!" Ryo-Ohki poked it's head up, looking up at Tenchi happily. It bounced over, rubbing up against the stunned young woman's hip.

"Ryo-Ohki," Tenchi said weakly, gently drawing the little cabbit to her and scratching it behind the ears. Listening to that happy purr she looked up at Ryouko joyfully, "I thought that she was dead! How..."

Ryouko reached over to join in the scratching, her fingers brushing against Tenchi's. "This is Ryo-ohki's daughter, more or less," she explained, "The ship reproduced itself when it was critically damaged, and Washu recovered the egg a few days back."

"Washu," Tenchi frowned, "your mother was up on Soja, wasn't she? I sort of remember seeing her before I keeled over."

Ryouko gently pushed Tenchi back, making the young woman lay down. She smiled a bit sheepishly, "I hope you didn't mind that daughter-in-law comment she made..."

Tenchi tugged on Ryouko, pulling the slightly off balance space-pirate on top of her on the bed. "I liked it," she laughed softly. They snuggled close, Ryouko's hands gripping Tenchi by the shoulders when she suddenly yawned. "Sorry," Tenchi blushed.

"Just wait till you get your strength back Tenchi," Ryouko said dangerously, "I'll do my very best to tire you right out again."

"Can't wait," Tenchi smiled. Ryouko got up to leave, and Tenchi reached out to grasp her hand. "You don't need to go..."

Ryouko smiled, a surprisingly gentle smile. "Sure," she climbed back onto the bed. After only a moment's hesitation they smoothly slid together, holding each other close until sleep came.

The sun rose early, and the group gathered by the lakeside to say their farewells. The breeze rippled the waters, as out on the lake Ayeka's Jurai vessel floated while not far away Mihoshi's cruiser awaited to take the Galaxy Police officer away.

Tenchi knelt down beside the sniffling Sasami and put her hand on the little girl's shoulder, "You can always come back to visit, you know." A smile, "You'll always be welcome here."

"Thank you," Sasami tried to smile, then threw her arms around Tenchi a moment. She pulled back reluctantly, then hugged the clearly startled Ryouko.

Ayeka smiled fondly as she watched Sasami move on to Yosho. She looked at Tenchi and smiled, "It was an honor to meet you, Lord Tenchi."

A faint blushed colored Tenchi's cheeks. "You don't have to call me that," she smiled.

"I think it suits you," Ayeka leaned forward to press her lips to the startled Tenchi's cheek. Softly she said, "Farewell, for now."

Ryouko and Ayeka exchanged a glance, the look of long time enemies. It was an oddly intimate moment, and Ryouko actually smiled, "Have a safe trip."

"Thank you," Ayeka acknowledged the gesture with a nod. She dropped her voice, "Take care of Tenchi for me, please."

"Will do," Ryouko nodded in return.

Ayeka, Sasami and Yosho moved off together, talking softly. The resemblance was painfully obvious as they talked, and Tenchi wondered why she hadn't realized it earlier. Still, one generally doesn't expect one's grandfather to be over 700 years old...

Mihoshi smiled slightly as she approached her, and Tenchi had to smile back. Dressed in her Galaxy Police uniform she should have looked formal and grave, but somehow she just reminded Tenchi of a flight attendant. Not that Tenchi would ever tell her that.

"I wanted to thank you on behalf of Galaxy Police for stopping Kagato," Mihoshi smiled. A bit more seriously, "Quite a few officers were slain trying to bring him in, and I'll be glad to report that they've finally been avenged."

"He didn't give me a lot of choice," Tenchi admitted, "but you're welcome."

"I'll be accompanying Ayeka back to Jurai," a bit of a blush appeared on Mihoshi's cheeks, "and when I report in I'll request that an officer be assigned to this system."

"Is that really necessary?" Ryouko raised an eyebrow.

"Now that so many ships have come here," Mihoshi said apologetically, "others are going to become aware of this world. It's better to be safe than sorry."

"You're probably right," Tenchi agreed. She smiled, "Come back and visit, all right?"

Mihoshi beamed, "Sure!"

Ayeka and Sasami stood close together, and Ayeka signaled her ship. In a moment a sphere of light formed around them, and the two girls rose up into the air before disappearing inside of the vessel. A soft rumble as Mihoshi started her cruiser, and Tenchi waved good-bye to them all. The two ships rose up into the sky together, rapidly shrinking away, until finally they were gone.

Grandfather turned, walking back towards the shrine, leaving Ryouko and Tenchi standing there by the lake. "Are you going to miss them?" Ryouko finally asked.

"A little," Tenchi admitted, "I loved Sasami's cooking, and Ayeka does grow on you a bit."

"I'm glad you were honest," Ryouko shrugged. They started back towards the shrine, and without either thinking about it they held hands.

"I'll always try to be with you," Tenchi squeezed those fingers gently. She looked over at Ryouko, "I love you."

Ryouko stopped them there, her hand stroking along Tenchi's cheek. "I love you, too," and then she pressed her lips to Tenchi's.

"You know," Washu murmured from where she watched the two of them intently, "I think I like this place." She smiled, "Think I'll stick around for awhile."

Through her link to Ryouko Washu had felt the depth of Ryouko's emotions towards Tenchi. And looking at the girl, Washu felt safe that Tenchi shared those feelings. Still, a mother liked to keep an eye on her daughter, and it gave her a chance to study Tenchi a bit more closely.

Besides, both Tenchi and Ryouko seemed to draw trouble to them. Being around them would help bring some excitement to Washu's life....

The End?