Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Tenchi Muyo: No Need For Boys! ❯ Authors Notes ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Notes: No Need for Boys!

Would you believe that this all started out only as a simple Sailor Moon fusion story? As I had first thought it out, shrine maiden Rei Hino snuck into the cave behind her grandfather's shrine and accidentally released the demoness Minako Aino. Makoto Kino of Jurai arrived soon after looking for her sempai, along with her little sister Chibi-Usa. Then galaxy police officers Ami Mizuno and the slightly ditzy Usagi Tsukino arrived. And so on...

Personally, I was a bit surprised at just how easily I could match up the Sailor Moon cast to that of Tenchi Muyo. It would have made a cute one-off fic, but I couldn't see much more story potential there, so I just shelved the idea.

A few weeks later, I wrote a first draft of my fic, `No Need for Alternates!' It was a pretty good fic, but I did feel that I didn't give Tenchi very much screen time in it. So in my expanded second version, I had him do a bit of a humorous walkabout the shrine meeting various alternate versions of the main cast. And sitting on the shrine steps talking to Ryouko he met a familiar looking young lady who was also called Tenchi Misaki...

Pretty soon she was camped out in the frontal lobe of my brain, loudly demanding her very own storyline so I dusted off the Sailor Moon fusion for inspiration. A female Tenchi raised a whole series of possibilities, as well as giving me the chance to fix one or two problems that I had with the character of Tenchi himself. He's a nice enough lad, but has a tendency to panic at the drop of a hat. Any hat at all. The female Tenchi, on the other hand, is a bit more level headed.

I'm not quite as sympathetic to Ryouko as the female Tenchi obviously is, but as you can tell I do think that she had it rather rough. I can't imagine being sealed up underground for over 700 years, and I tend to think the only reason that she remained sane was her ability to `spirit walk' around the area of the cave. My portrayal of her comes from both the OVA and manga series, where we see her showing both depth and a degree of regret for her actions.

-Chapter One almost had to be based entirely around the first of the OVA series, but I tried to re-tell it in the most interesting way as was possible. Tenchi's general fearlessness also first appears in there, and it had an major effect on her relationship with Ryouko.

-Chapter Two is a mix of my own stuff with a few details from OVA #5, dealing with why Ryouko didn't just skewer Tenchi the first chance she got.

-Chapters Three and Four retell OVA #2, based around how the female Tenchi might have derailed certain events in the Tenchi Muyo series.

-Chapter Five used OVA #2 and 3 as it's base, including slipping in a certain line of dialog that has always made me laugh.

-Chapter Six used a bit more of OVA #3.

-Chapter Seven is based on the hotspring episode of OVA #4. I wanted to make the story as different as possible from the original OVA, so I covered a bit before they left as well as expanding on the story.

-Chapters Eight through to Ten adapted the OVA #5,6. As I'm not sure I'm continuing much past this point, I didn't choose to deal with the ship Tsunami and Sasami's link with it at all. I originally intended this to be only two chapters, but I ended up needing three.

-Chapter Eleven will be a wrap-up, and probably the end of the series for now, at least.

Originally I had planed this to be only around eight chapters, but some of the sequences really required a longer number of pages. Due to many readers requests, I've set up the end of chapter eleven to keep my options open if I do decide to continue this later on, either based on the other OVAs or on my own imagination. If I decide to continue on it won't be any time soon, however, I need a bit of a break from this series.

I hope every one enjoyed this!

Shane :)

aka Shanejayell