Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ The Darkness Within ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The darkness within

I am alone here, in this desolate abandoned wasteland. I hover here, between the espiers of reality and legend, my essence eternally bound to this plane but longing for more. Once, long ago I was one of three. And together we balanced each other, existing to create, destroy and observe. But now only I exist. Only I survive within this desiccated realm of nothingness. With only my avatar and my sanity to console me in my solitude.

For millennia that was enough. Patience was my only hope. Patience and faith my only companions to tide me through the boundless span of time. My heart hopeful for the promised return of my sisters, like a rosebud waiting for the kiss of the sun. Memories of a long ago time, buoying my soul with false reassurance that soon those times would return.

But my sisters have not returned. Still I wait. My patience is waning and my hope dieing. Yet I continue to hold on with the hope that soon, they will fulfill their commitments and return to me. Their promises still ringing in my mind as the sweet taste of honey lingers on the tongue. I can hear their laughter and their shouts. I miss them. I miss our bitter fights and our tearful apologies.

My essence now fills the void that once seemed so empty without them. I think at times I have gone mad with want of companionship. But I will remain until they return. I am eternal here with my hopes, my love, my faith and my madness. It surrounds me here in this once vast nothingness. Deep within my own mind I can feel the edges of reason splinter. I know soon I will no longer be myself.

Still I will persevere for as long as I can. I am ever vigil for their return. They will come back to me. I have been calling out to them. My voice is no longer my own. It has a will of its own and it calls to them without my knowledge. I feel the muscles in my throat move but I have little control over their actions. I hear my voice, a twisted shattered ghost of its former self plead and beg for their return. But as of yet, there has been no reply.

At times when I am not myself and the madness overcomes my reason taking control of me and commanding my actions, I lose myself to the void. I know soon the madness with consume me, and I will become nothing more than the sum of my desires. The longing to be with my sisters again. I fear my madness, for it is a reflection of me. A twisted, perverted damning vision of myself as an insanely consumed maniac.

But still that is a part of who and what I am. Beneath the kindness and the timidity, there is a monster of madness and darkness that skulks around the edges of my consciousness. It waits for a moment of weakness. Someday it will consume me. I can hear it, it repeats their names over and over again, with its mad little voice. Softly its voice echoes from within my mind, but always just outside of my perception.

I clench my hands and bite my lip, trying to hold onto reason for another millennia longer. Just one more millennia worth of time. In the grand span of time and space a millennia is but a drop within an endless ocean of night. But my time is limited now. I have been left alone for too long. I have little sanity to cling to, and even less reason to understand with.

Within my sane mind I plead for my sisters to return to me, before it is too late. Before I lose myself completely, I fear the darkness of my insanity. I fear the blackness within my heart. I fear for the creations of my sisters. I fear for that which my sisters have toiled over these long years. For I know that deep within that darkness resides a deep hatred for all, which separated us.

It comes now, the wave of madness, the anger and blackness. It will wash over me and consume me again. But I will fight it for as long as I can. The moments that I am sane have become fewer and far between. I need the light of hope and reason of my sisters to hold back the deluge of my lunacy.

One last coherent thought before the blackness suffocates my reason. One last truth before I am lost again within that cloistered nightmarish hell of my own mind. I love my sisters and wish them no harm, but my madness is their own doing.

For I have been left alone for far too long. It has come. Now I am the shadows of the void. I am the darkness that surrounds and the darkness within. I am both and yet neither. For I am Tokimi and I shall have my revenge.