The Nightmare Before Christmas Fan Fiction ❯ Roots ❯ Friends ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Jack woke up refreshed. He stretched and massaged Oogie's burlap beneath his hands to wake him up before kissing Sally soundly. She yawned and sat up.

"Mm, he's more comfortable than our bed," she sighed as she stood.

"Thanks," Oogie muttered, pulling Jack close and turning over to snuggle him some more.

Sally giggled. "You really are a cuddler, aren't you?"

"Mmhm," Oogie moaned, reluctantly stretching out as Jack pushed against his hold. "Mm, I haven't slept in bed with another person since Barrel's last nightmare about the gators."

"Gators?" Jack asked as he stood.

"That's his story to tell, Jack, not mine," Oogie said, heaving himself off the bed.

"Maybe I should just get you drunk. That loosens your snake."

"Snake?" Sally asked in confusion.

"He occasionally uses a snake for a tongue," Jack explained then looked at Oogie, who appeared to be hurt. "Oogie? What's wrong?"

"Nothing, Jack."

"Come now. I can tell that you're lying. Remember what Eros said."

Oogie looked at him. "What?"

"Eros said that love needs constant communication. We clearly don't communicate right. So communicate with me, Oogie."

Oogie glanced at Sally then slumped his shoulders. "Every time we become friends again you do that thing."

"What thing?"

"You make snide comments about my mistakes in front of other people. It hurts. It's like you don't forgive me."

Jack was alarmed. "I…I didn't realize I did that. I'm terribly sorry. And of course I forgive you!"

Oogie smiled, rubbing the back of his neck. "Thanks, Jack."

Jack reached over to his nightstand and yelled in shock. He began looking around in the drawers and on the floor. Oogie blinked.

"What are you looking for?"

"The little carving that you…Um, nothing," Jack said, looking embarrassed as he stopped his frantic search

Oogie blinked and his bugs pushed the carving of the grasshopper out of him. He held it out to Jack. "This?"

Jack's face lit up. "Yes! That's it!" he said, clearly relieved as he grabbed it and set it carefully back in it's spot.

"You kept it after all the fights we've had, throughout all the years?" Oogie asked tenderly.

"Y-yeah," Jack said with a shy smile. "I love you, Oogie. Even if I'm not very good at displaying it. It reminds me of when our lives were uncomplicated. When it was just me and you going out every year to scare people."

Oogie smiled. "We made some mistakes," he admitted with a shake of his head. "But we had so much fun. We've got to do that again."

Jack nodded. "It's a date then!"

Oogie snickered. "You're married now, Jack. No more dating."

"Jack dated before?" Sally asked in interest.

"No. And it has disturbed every female that's ever come here, even the married ones," Oogie laughed.

"That sounds like Jack," Sally giggled.

"What can I say, Oogie? Nobody stole my heart besides Sally!" Jack said with a head shake. "Now, let's go and get you used to people again."

"Lead on, Jack," Oogie said, and they headed for the front door.