The Twelve Kingdoms Fan Fiction ❯ The Shadowed Land, The Northern Arrow ❯ The Shadowed Land, The Northern Arrow: Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Shadowed Land, The Northern Arrow: Chapter Three

Greeting again. Thanks to those whom reviewed. Answers to questions and rambles at bottom.

~*~*~*

"There they are Tuisai; they are finally making their way to the palace grounds." Kouki whispered to the Nyokai sitting next to him as he watched the path below from his rocky perch. Below him was a long line of humans making their way up a steep, rocky path. Many of them were talking amongst themselves while others were focusing on the path ahead of them. Kouki turned from the path and shook his head.

"Reiwa." He called loudly. A slight hiss filled the air as a large creature appeared at Kouki's side. This creature looked like a gigantic fox with two tails. It was a pale gray color with a black stripe down its back and tails. Its eyes and ears were in circled with white spots as where his paws. Kouki climbed on Reiwa and motioned Tuisai to climb on before the large fox like creature took to the air.

"Kouki, we must return to Houro palace to prepare for the move to Houto palace when the shouzan travelers are settled." Tuisai reminded her charge as quickly as she remembered. Kouki nodded his compliance as the approached the large structure that had been his home for 10 years. The next few weeks most of his caretakers would ascend with him to Houto palace to follow the traditions of having Kouki meet all the shouzan travelers. A few of the Nyosen would remain in Houro palace to attend to the newborn Kirin that came into this world just a week ago. The young Ryuurin fascinated Kouki for she was the first of the other Kirin's in this world he had met.

"Tuisai, did you sense something odd from the new Kirin?" he questioned the creature behind him. Tuisai remained silent for a moment as she tried to think of the best way to answer his question.

"I didn't sense anything odd per say, however I could sense that she was special in her own way are you are." She finally responded. Kouki frowned as he guided the creature that he and his Nyokai were riding. Reiwa was truly a youma from the forested land Koukai just beyond the gates of Houro palace.

A few years ago while playing in the Koukai this large youma approached Kouki and prepared to attack. Before Reiwa could reach the young Kouki he had muttered a well known spell and both creatures locked eyes in a deadly staring contest. Many hours passed as the Kirin and fox like youma silently clashed. Half a day then a full day passed before any sign of movement was made from the two. The youma blinked slightly and took a step back from Kouki. The holy creature smiled as he finished the binding spell and divined a name, Reiwa. This youma was now bound by the oath of Seirei to the Kirin. A Seirei is a youma that is bound by an oath to the Kirin to protect and serve them. Unlike the Nyokai they are servants and companies that they Kirin must find themselves.

"Kouki, please come and change into these clothes that are set out for you in your chambers. We will be ascending to Houto palace soon and you must be ready." One of the sages called from the doors of the main dwelling of Houro palace. Kouki frowned as he silently commanded Reiwa to descend to the palace steps. After Kouki descended from his Seirei he turned towards his appointed area of the dwelling and did as he had been instructed.

After he had finishing changing into his slightly for formal clothes, a black top half robe that was streaked with blue and a pair of blue pants tied on his left side, Kouki wandered around the large hallways of his home. Tuisai had long retired with Reiwa to the depths of nothingness until they were called for by their master.

"Oh Kouki, there you are. It is time for you to have a meal before we ascend to Houto palace." A voice called from the room at the end of the hall he was currently walking in. Kouki picked up his pace slightly as he slid into the room the voice came from. A single Nyosen was waiting by a small table with a meal already waiting with a simple meal. Kouki tilted his head to one side as he sat at the table and stared at the meal in front of him.

"I am not very hungry right now Laiya." He whispered to the Nyosen standing watching him. Laiya bent down to Kouki's level and put her hands on his shoulders to get his attention. Kouki looked at Laiya and struggled to keep his emotions in check. Sniffling he clung to the sages arm tightly as he started to let a few tears roll down his cheeks.

"Kouki, what is bothering you so much?" Laiya questioned softly as she comforted the boy trying not to cry in her arms. Kouki sniffled slightly as he rubbed his eyes with one of his sleeves to get rid of any lingering tears.

"I am alright now Laiya. I am sorry that I worried you all. I assure you that nothing is bothering me." Kouki said as he hugged the sage comforting him. After a moment he released her and wandered over to his untouched dinner. Grabbing a large peach from the largest plate he took a bite out of it as he walked out of the room. Laiya watched him leave silently as she prayed that he was indeed alright.

~*~*~*

Blissful was the only word that could describe how Kisa was right now. The last week had been like a dream and it was only starting. Kisa watched Ryuurin with a careful eye; she was not dominating the young Kirin but was cautious about being in the Koukai. Ryuurin was exploring every inch of the forested area that she had wandered into. There was so much to take in that she lingered over every flower and blade of grass.

"Little one, we must return now or the sages will worry for you. They are all very tense right now because of the approaching festival at Houto palace." Kisa murmured as she approached her charge. Ryuurin turned to face her Nyokai with wide eyes. At the mention of returning home that meant a nice meal of juicy fruits. The rapidly growing Ryuurin had a very healthy appetite. Eating was something that she really seemed to enjoy and got a bite whenever she could.

"Gyoto, I don't think this a really good idea to be coming this far from the path. If we are caught we will be punished by the Nyosen for sure." A voice can racing though the trees. Kisa became very tense as she picked up Ryuurin and looked around her for the source of the voice.

"Don't be such a child Osi, as long as you keep it down we will not be discovered. Besides we are not causing any harm here we are just looking." Responded a second voice this one belonging to the one called Gyoto. Before Kisa could retreat two men came crashing out of the trees. The first one looked fairly pale his brown hair was pulled back to the nap of the neck with a piece of string. The second one looked frustrated, his coal colored hair was cut short and hung in front of his midnight eyes.

"I am not a child Gyoto; I just don't feel like explaining to everyone in our group if they find us here." Osi, the paler one, murmured. Both men finally noticed Kisa and Ryuurin and they stared at them astonished. Gyoto brushed his hair from his dark eyes as he examined the two in front of him.

"Well this is an interesting find is it not Osi. We come in exploration and look what we find a youma unlike one I have ever seen." He said as he pulled a long chain with a diamond shaped piece of metal on one end from his pack that was his back. Kisas amber eyes flickered with anger as she opened her wings and took off in the sky with Ryuurin tucked safely in her arms. "Oh no, I won't let a precious find like you get away." Gyoto yelled as he flung the metal end at Kisa. The Nyokai hissed as she tried in vain to avoid the rope thrown at her. The metal chain wrapped its self tight around her right leg tightly. "Ahh, I have got you now."

"Gyoto, let it go, this is not the time to be hunting for pleasure. We must get back to the group now." Osi yelled as he watched his companion struggle with the winged Nyokai. Both seemed to not notice the Kirin in her arms.

"Stop whining and help me with this youma Osi, it will make a great memento from our journey." Gyoto hissed at the paler man as he redoubled his efforts to `reel' in Kisa. Osi frowned for a moment but picked up the other end of the chain and both men started to gain some ground in pulling Kisa lower. Kisa used all her strength to try and get the edge on them but was unsuccessful as she was brought to the ground. Ryuurin was dropped to the ground by her Nyokai as the two men dropped the chain.

"What, another one, how many are there in the place?" Gyoto yelled as he approached Ryuurin. Kisa collapsed on the ground in exhaustion she had used all her strength in her effort to flee from the two men. Osi looked first to Kisa then to Ryuurin and drew in a shaky breath. This seemed wrong but he could not place why, he shook those thoughts from his head as he also approached the young Kirin. After she had been dropped Ryuurin ran straight for her Nyokai but had to back off for Kisa was bleeding from the wound caused by the chain.

"Wandering by oneself can prove deadly in the Koukai." Came a voice from the woods. Osi and Gyoto froze when they heard the voice, both searched frantically for the source of it. From the trees two figures emerged, one had a human shape the other was twice as large as the first.

"It would be wise to leave here at once before the Nyosen come or you with face their wrath." The first figure murmured as it stepped into the light. The figure as a man dressed in a long sleeved sky colored shirt and matching pants. A tan cloth was draped around his head and fell to his waist. His face was framed with azure colored hair and his silver eyes quickly surveyed the scene in front of him The larger figure followed the first and it was of a large red colored youma. It had large wings red wings with a black beak. His legs were colored a dark coal. The youma growled at the two men but remained at the mans' side.

"I will not release this youma; I found it and claim it. How dare you ask such a thing of me? Who are you to ask such a thing?" Gyoto yelled. The youma stepped forward and let out a roar. Osi shrank back in fear and in doing so he bumped into Ryuurin. The young Kirin fell to the ground silently as she was hit from behind. Osi finally noticed her and gasped out in shock and understanding.

"Easy Rokuta we don't want to frighten her anymore that she already is." The man whispered to the large youma. Gyoto narrowed his eyes at the man as he drew his sword and pointed it at him.

"Leave me at once or become a sheath for my sword." He growled at the man with azure hair. The man looked at Gyoto with an emotionless face but remained where he was.

"Again, it would be wise for you to leave before you are confronted for your attack on the Nyokai." The man said calmly. Gyoto looked to Kisa, whom was tearing the chain of her leg and attempting to stand, and then back to the man. He brought his sword higher and started to run towards the man.

"You lie, you just want it for you self!" he yelled as he brought his sword down on the man next to the youma. A scratch of metal echoed through the hills of the Koukai as Gyoto's sword was met with the azure colored mans dagger.

"What in the heavens is going on!" cried a voice from the direction of the main path. Osi, Gyoto and the man with the azure hair looked towards the source of the voice. Through the trees came half a dozen of the blue and white clothed Nyosen, among them was Naya, and Lady Tei-Ei. The oldest sage looked royalty pissed off as she surveyed the situation. Upon seeing the azure haired man she and the other sages bowed down low. "Oh Lord Shinkun I did not realize that you were here." Shinkun narrowed his eyes slightly at Gyoto whom was now on his knees bowing low along with Osi.

"Forgive me for raising my weapon in front of you all however I cannot let myself be injured so. Please leave me to deal with these two I will walked them out to the gate." He said as he motioned to the still kneeling men. Two of the Nyosen were tending to Kisas injured leg as Naya and one of the other sages were attempting to remove Ryuurin from the area. The young Kirin protested to leaving her Nyokai's side with a jittery dance as she tried to avoid the Nyosen.

"Little one, I will be alright please return to Houro palace I will join you as soon as I have washed myself from the blood." Kisa whispered soothingly to her antsy charge. Ryuurins ears twitched at the words as she finally calmed down enough for the Nyosen to approach. Naya and the other Nyosen began to lead the Kirin back to the palace grounds. Kisa was able to stand up shakily on her left leg favoring her right as she opened her wings and took off in the sky towards Houro palace.

"I believe this was the first of many incidents to happen for Ryuurin, I pray that she be safe from harms way." Lord Shinkun murmured to Tei-Ei as they watched the other sages escort Ryuurin back to the palace. Tei-Ei frowned sadly as she nodded her head in agreement. This incident was one that they had expected but not one in this way. Years to come would prove a challenge to the young Kirin.

~*~*~*

Author Rambles: Thanks to butterflydreaming for pointing out my spelling mistakes I am a horrible speller. I will take care of those. As to Dark-Trinity's question about Youko and Shoryuu playing a part in this story all I will say is it is planed for cameos from each but it will be a long time coming. As to the different mane color that will play a role in the sequel I am planning to this first story. But that will not be for a long time.