Tokyo Babylon Fan Fiction / X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ The Sakurazukamori of the Opera? ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: No one stopped me in time. And I have visions of the Phantom dancing around in my head and I can hear him singing. Damn you, Phantom-chan! I love you! Again. Ask not, for I know not. Or just blame my twisted psyche.

 

Disclaimer: I do not own Tokyo Babylon nor do I own the Phantom of the Opera. The only thing I own is a gym sock and a popsicle stick with a picture of a mouth drawn on it.

 

Chapter One

It was after the performance. Subaru's singing had captivated the entire crowd, leading them to want more. Though he was still blushing, he was quite proud of himself, though not as much as his sister had been when the opera had ended. He couldn't wait to tell his Angel that he had finally sung.

Subaru and Hokuto had lost their parents to illness a long time ago. Their mother had died first, in her sleep, and as their father died, he had promised to send an angel to each of them. An angel that helped her design the costumes for the operas had seemingly visited Hokuto years ago. Subaru's angel was an Angel of Music that had been visiting him ever since the owner of the Opera Populaire had taken in the Sumeragi twins. Subaru's angel of music had been teaching him to sing for several years. However, Subaru had never been told his teacher's name.

When Subaru and Hokuto were brought to the opera house, Subaru began a weekly ritual. There was one room with a mural of angels on the walls and in it were several candle stands. Once a week, Subaru would light a candle for his parents and pray. It was a couple weeks after he had started this ritual that a voice began visiting him. This voice was the one that had taught him to sing.

And now, he was sitting in his room, next door to his twin's. The room had been filled with roses that admirers of the show had sent. Subaru could not hold back his smile. Before he could say anything, the door opened behind him and a familiar face entered the room.

"Kamui."

((A/N: Yes, I know I'm being weird with the couples. It's my fic and if you don't like it, stop reading now. And while I'm at it, I'm telling you now that I'm not sticking to the original script.))

"Subaru. It's been a while."

Subaru got up from his seat and hugged his old friend. Kamui hugged back then smiled at the new star.

"You always had a nice voice, Subaru," he said, "but you were amazing tonight."

"Thank you."

"Hey, a couple of my friends and I are going to dinner tonight. Would you and Hokuto-chan like to come?"

"Kamui, I can't."

Kamui blinked at the emerald-eyed teen. "Why not?"

"The Angel of Music is strict, Kamui."

"I won't keep you up long," Kamui smiled. He turned to leave. "I'll pick you guys up at seven."

"But, Kamui, wait!"

Too late. The other teen had already left. Subaru turned back around and was silent.

On the other side of the door, a gloved hand slowly turned the key in the lock. Hokuto gave the figure a soft smile, but said nothing, in case her brother heard.

Shortly later, Hokuto was still at the door. She could clearly hear Subaru singing with another person. She smiled to herself.

"Good luck. Have fun, Subaru."

She left when she heard Kamui Shirou approaching.

*****

"Flattering child, you shall know me,

See why in shadow I hide,

Look at your face in the mirror,

I am there inside!"

The Phantom's voice was strong, yet gentle. The mask that covered the right side of his face put emphasis on the uncovered left side, which showed a handsome face. The golden eyes of the mysterious man drew Subaru to him as the Sumeragi sang. When Subaru stopped, the Phantom spoke.

"I am your angel of music," he said. "Come to me, angel of music."

Though Subaru could hear a familiar voice calling to him from outside the door, he reached out to take the Phantom's black-gloved hand. He could almost hear music playing as the Phantom lead him through a maze.

"In sleep he sang to me,

In dreams he came…

That voice which calls to me

And speaks my name…

And do I dream again?

For now I find,

The Phantom of the Opera is there-

Inside my mind."

The sound of Subaru's voice filled the labyrinth. The Phantom held on to the younger man's hand as they continued. He added his own words to the song.

"Sing once again with me

Our strange duet…

My power over you,

Grows stronger yet…

And though you turn from me,

To glance behind…

The Phantom of the Opera is there-

Inside your mind…"

They reached a small underground lake, where a boat waited for them. The Phantom had Subaru get on the boat, then boarded himself. He grabbed a long oar and began to push them through the waters as Subaru began to sing again.

"Those who have seen your face

Draw back in fear…

I am the mask you wear…"

"It's me, they hear," the Phantom sang.

The two of them both began singing, their voices sounding perfect together.

"My spirit and my voice
In one combined
The phantom of the opera is there
inside my mind
"

The Phantom sang the words with Subaru, though the word `my' was always replaced by `your,' so that when the Phantom sang, he was singing about the emerald-eyed young man. In the background, Subaru swore that he could hear a soft chorus of "he's there, the Phantom of the Opera, beware, the Phantom of the Opera." He jumped slightly as the Phantom took over the song.

"In all your fantasy you always knew
That man and mystery…"

Subaru added another line. "Were both in you."

"And in this labyrinth, where night is blind," they sang,

"The Phantom of the Opera is there

Inside my(your) mind."

The Phantom smirked. "Sing, my angel of music."

"He's there, the Phantom of the Opera," the young man sang, obediently.

"Sing…" came the order from the Phantom.

Subaru obeyed once again, singing a single note, but holding it for an entire melody. The Phantom continued to urge the boy to sing, so Subaru did, going up an octave each time.

"Sing for me!"

One final octave, Subaru sang. They reached the edge of the lake, where lay a den-like home. An organ on one wall, surrounded by candles caught Subaru's eye as the Phantom got off the boat. The entire room was filled with candles. Subaru looked back and saw that there were candles on stands that came out of the water. Every single one of the candles was lit.

Subaru looked at the Phantom as the older man began to sing in his beautiful voice that had captivated Subaru for several years.

"Nighttime sharpens, heightens each sensation
Darkness wakes and stirs imagination
Silently the senses abandon their defenses
Helpless to resist the notes I write
For I compose, the music of the night
"

He helped Subaru out of the boat and continued the song as he led him around the room, as if showing it off.

"Slowly, gently, Night unfurls its Splendor
Grasp it, sense it, tremulous and tender
Hearing is believing, music is deceiving
Hard as lightning, soft as candlelight
Dare you trust the music of the night
"

Subaru was completely enthralled with the sound of the Phantom's voice and was at the same time, lost in the gold of the other man's eyes.

"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth
And the truth isn't what you want to see
In the dark, is it easy to pretend
That the truth is it ought to be
."

The Phantom paused for a moment to lead Subaru up a set of stairs. Then he continued.

"Softly, deftly, Music shall caress you
Hear it, feel it, secretly possess you
Open up your mind,

Let your fantasies unwind
In this Darkness which you know you cannot fight,
The Darkness of the Music of the Night!
"

Subaru let out a little gasp when the Phantom pulled him close and sang into his ear.

"Close your eyes -
Start a journey through a strange new World!

Leave all thoughts of the world you

Knew before, close you eyes and let music

Set you free, only then can you belong to me."

Subaru then realized something. The Phantom, his teacher, his angel of music, was in love with him. He said nothing, but listened to the rest of the song.

"Floating, falling, Sweet Intoxication
Touch me, trust me, savor each Sensation
Let the dream begin, Let your darker side give in
To the Power of the music that I write,
The Power of the Music of the Night!
"

As the Phantom finished the last note, he turned Subaru around and kissed the boy full on the lips. Subaru fainted in shock when the kiss ended. The Phantom merely gathered the boy in his arms and carried him over to the bed in another part of the room. He set Subaru down and sang the final line of his song.

"You alone can make my song take flight;

Help me make the music of the night."

 

Author's Note: No one stopped me. Instead you allENCOURAGED me. [in a sarcastic tone] Don't y'all know how to follow directions?

I love you guys.

Thanks for your support, Chris Pwure and Subaru's Voice (I'll get to your e-mail soon, I hope!).