Tokyo Mew Mew Fan Fiction ❯ In the Pantry, of All Places ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I disclaim Tokyo Mew Mew.
 
(edited: 2-15-07)
 
…..
 
Mew Retasu stared blankly up at the mundane slap of wood that served as the ceiling for her glorified cubby. She didn't know how long she and Ryou had been in this little room; an hour? A day? Eternity? Honestly, she had no idea. The consistent drip drip drip of water imitated the ticking of a clock, and she would count in her head to the rhythmic sound. One…two…three…four…
 
Sighing, she traced the figure of a dolphin from the series of random veins that ran through the plywood. She could also see a cat, a dog, a bird and a monkey, all from the designs in the wood. She wondered what tree her ceiling had been a part of once, and what forest it had grown in since the time it was a seed. Bored, she rolled over on her belly and played with the puddle of water on the cement floor, her mind on her friends and their battle as she twirled her fingers absently.
 
“How are you doing that?” Ryou asked her. He was turned on his side, leaning on his elbow and staring intently at her fingers. She had twirled the water up in an abnormal swirl, similar to shaving cream, except the water still moved inside the form. She drew her hand away, embarrassed, and the water abided to the laws of physics once more.
 
“I don't know,” She began sheepishly. She could feel the heat bloom on her cheeks and she tried to hide her red face with her bangs.
 
“Do it again,” Mew Retasu heard the demand in his voice, and felt that she didn't have a choice. Very simply, she brought her hand palm down over the water. She gave a lazy flip of her wrist and the water followed in a lazy ripple. She felt a sense of contentment envelope her and drown out all other thought as she continued to play conductor to the music of water.
 
Ryou slowly climbed out of his alcove to get a closer look, not taking notice of the water that seeped into his pants as he knelt beside Mew Retasu. The water was similar to the irregular twine of smoke as it followed her every movement, reaching out to her timidly. Her hand wove in smooth dips and turns, her fingers caressing the air around the water, never touching.
 
Ryou stared into the green tinted liquid as it danced with her delicate fingers hypnotically. Of their own accord, his eyes traveled toward her; they followed the gentle slope where her shoulder met her neck and up along her jaw-line, finally landing on the soft pink swell of her lips.
 
“Ryou?”
 
Out of his trance, his eyes snapped up to meet bright green ones. He looked back to the dancing water but it was over. An unfamiliar sensation heated his cheeks when he realized he had been staring.
 
“You're—I mean, that was amazing. I had no idea,” He went on, not meeting her eyes. Mew Retasu smiled shyly, pleased.
 
“I'm sure the others can do more than that,” She accommodated, modest as always.
 
“No,” Came the blunt response, “No, they can't,”
 
“Ryou?” She looked up at him, for he was standing now, pacing the tiny confinements of the room. He ran a hand through his blonde hair and frowned, deep in thought. She didn't want to interrupt, so she sat back awkwardly and followed his pacing, trying to figure his train of thought with the broken phrases he muttered absently.
 
“…Finless Porpoise can't… But the DNA… Natural phenomenon?…Defies laws…Levitation…Teleport—“ He stopped suddenly, and Mew Retasu could have sworn she saw a light go on in his head. He turned to her swiftly, his eyes landing on her as if she were wrapped up in red ribbon and set under his Christmas tree. “Can you do that with more than just water?”
 
“Uh…” She said intelligently, taken aback. He kneeled to her eye level and grabbed both of her hands in his, making her blush profusely.
 
“Try. Try it right now,” His eyes bore into hers, “Please,” he added. Mew Retasu gulped, but gave a nod, nervous that she would disappoint him. He smiled and let go of her hands to stand up again. She glanced up at him, then down to the water. She focused on the water and it shot up violently. She gasped, lost her focus, and the water receded back into its puddle as if nothing had happened.
 
“Don't be nervous,” She heard him say soothingly, “Start out small,”
 
She searched the room until she found a soggy napkin floating two feet from her. She stretched her arm toward it, feeling foolish, and pulled her hand slowly back to her. The napkin followed obediently. Confident now, she aimed her energy at a tiny box; it shuddered and rose itself off the shelf and started to spin. It dropped into the water below, splashing Ryou, and she started to laugh.
 
“Sorry!” She said after catching her breath. Then started laughing once more when she saw the look on his face.
 
“Incredible,” He said in awe. Not caring whether he was referring to the power or herself, she practiced some more. Soon she had multiple objects zooming around the room above them. Ryou let out a rare laugh and she found herself staring. Not a snicker or a smirk, but genuine laughter.
 
Something fell from the ceiling with a loud clang, splashing water everywhere. The boxes and random pantry supplies followed shortly after. Ryou and Mew Retasu found themselves staring up at the open air-vent that Masha had just flown himself through.
 
“Danger, Danger!” The robot said frantically, zipping around the two of them.
 
…..
 
TBC…definitely