Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Another Sleepless Night ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Trigun, Vash, or Wolfwood. Though if I did, I'm sure I'd be able to come up with

ALOT of fun things to do with them ^.^

+*+ANOTHER SLEEPLESS NIGHT+*+

~Another wasted day,

Another Life a lie.

Another forgotten dream,

Another tear to cry.

Another night I lay awake alone, scared and cold,

Dreaming of another time where I'll have you to hold.

Another day I go without you

Another lifetime spent alone

I pray that when I finally find the heart to tell you,

Your name isn't etched in stone.

Another need, Another wish, Another promise so true,

But there is only one Love

Because there is only one Me and You~ a poem written by me.

Wolfwood tossed and turned, the white sheets tangling with his over-heated, half-dressed body. He sat up, flipped the pillow over and plopped back down. Still no good. He kicked the sheets off onto the wooden floor, but to no avail. It was simply too damn hot. He wasn't going to sleep tonight.

Sitting up, the priest grabbed his pack of cigarettes and took one out, sticking it in his mouth. He got up and walked over to the window, looking out at a vast nothingness of desert that stretched on for iles and iles. The moons shone full tonight, casting strange shadows over the wasteland, making each crevice look like a canyon. Nicholas lit his cigarette and inhaled, blowing the smoke out slowly. He sighed.

Another goddamn sleepless night. What was wrong with him? It isn't like he had been lying in bed all day staring at the wall, far from it. Ever since he had returned to his orphanage/church, he had been working his ass off! Repairing broken windows, cleaning this and doing that, and most importantly, taking care of the kids. You'd think that just spending an hour with those little balls of energy, he'd definitely be tired by nightfall, but here he was, awake yet again.

But he wasn't complaining. Oh, no, he loved it here. Probably here more than anywhere in the world. After the Augusta/Fifth Moon incident, he was told to return to his home, and he did so, without question. He almost wanted to thank The Humanoid Typhoon for turning another city into rubble then disappearing without a trace. For some reason, the minister felt horrible, though. Where was that spikey-haired dumbass of an outlaw anyway? He hadn't even spared the time to look for him. After a bit of consideration, Wolfwood decided that there was a place that he enjoyed being more than here…

Well, it was anywhere, really.

Just as long as Vash was with him.

Nicholas's heart sank as he thought of his friend's name and he took another drag on his cigarette. He didn't know how to explain it, but being around Vash always seemed to make things a lot more….he thought for a bit…. Interesting. Hell, fun, even. The priest smiled as he remembered the first day they met.

"So I owe you my gratitude Mr….uh…?"

"My name is Valentinez Alkinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gumbigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andre Charton-Haymoss Ivanovicci Baldeus Doitsel Kaiser. Don't hesitate to call."

Wolfwood chuckled. What an imagination that man had. Even then, that day when they knew nothing of each other, there was something that had drawn him to Vash. Something that just sort of, well, clicked between the two of them. Even when they were shit-faced drunk, falling all over each other, laughing their asses off for no apparent reason, Nicholas always enjoyed himself when Vash was there.

There were other memories as well, more than just goofing off and getting drunk. There were times when the two of then would just sit and talk. They would talk late in the night to early the next morning. Subjects varying from sandsteamers to women to much deeper things. Death, love, hate; all of these things both men seemed to have strong feelings for. But Vash, oh Vash had memories to tell of. He had seen things in his life, this man. He couldn't imagine…Well, maybe he could relate just a bit. Wolfwood had seen some horrible shit himself. All he could do for Vash was sit there and just let him cry all over him.

Nicholas hastily stubbed out his cigarette on the windowsill, it having been out for quite some time. Who was he kidding, anyway? Nicholas D. Wolfwood didn't get drunk. His tolerance for alcohol was rather high; he had only gone along with Vash to…well…Be close to him. He loved stumbling around town, Vash on his shoulder, his arm around Vash's waist laughing and joking until they were told to shut the hell up. He enjoyed waking up the next morning and having to take care of Vash, his hangover getting the best of him. And as far as the crying all over him part, Nicholas couldn't be happier when things like that happened. It made him feel like he was important, since Vash decided to share all these things with him. To entrust him with his deepest feelings and thoughts. The nights spent with Vash drying his tears on the preacher's sand-worn black coat made him smile. It felt so right having him in his arms like that.

He sometimes wished he could take his comforting to the next level, to…

Gah! Impure thoughts! Nicholas shook his head violently. I'm a freaking Priest! What the hell's the matter with me? It can't be, because Vash is…and I am… He felt so confused. No matter how many times he made himself shake off this feeling, he would always find it returning. It would return when he watched Vash scarf down countless donuts, that idiot grin taking over his face. Also, when Nicholas would to turn to find Vash lost in thought, his cyan eyes deepened in thought and a single tear sliding down his soft, pale cheek. And when he smiled, a real smile. Not that fake crap he put on for everyone else. Wolfwood longed to make that smile stay on Vash's face. If only he knew how, if only Vash felt the same…

Another feeling entered his stomach now, pain. Rejection. Loss. Did Vash feel anything like the way Nick felt about him? How was he ever to find out, without completely embarrassing himself and possibly scaring Vash away? He didn't know what he'd do if Vash were afraid of him. The one person he had, that he could turn to. The one person that he…

Nicholas's eyes widened in realization. It was true. The one person that he, Nicholas D. Wolfwood, actually LOVED.

Yes, he came to terms with himself. He LOVED Vash the Stampede, the Humanoid Typhoon, the outlaw gunman worth $$60,000,000,000! He didn't know whether to jump in the air or dissolve into tears. For he knew, no matter how strong his feelings toward Vash, there was the chance that Vash felt nothing of the sort towards him. His heart tore a notch deeper. There was also the mere fact of the reason that Nicholas had met the outlaw in the first place. Nick shuddered to think of what Vash would feel if he found out the reason that he was always around. Probably something along the lines of betrayal and deep, deep hurt.

Nicholas didn't want Vash to hurt anymore, he had too much to hurt about as is. And he, certainly, didn't want to hurt Vash, he had done enough hurting people in his life as well. He sighed, wanting another cigarette. He leaned his head up against the glass pane of the window, closing his eyes as he felt the cool of it on his forehead. What was he to do…There was the looming fear over his head that everything would be over soon. He had no idea why, and it frightened him. He wrapped his arms around himself, wanting Vash with him now more than ever.

He would tell Vash. Maybe not with words, per say, but he would let Vash know how he felt one way or the other. Vash had changed him, whether for good or for bad, Nick had no idea, but he liked it. He smiled, thinking to himself how perfect it all seemed….

A Priest and an Angel, hey lay in bed, tired all of a sudden.

"A Priest and an Angel," he hugged his pillow, "We were destined for each other…"

Nicholas drifted off, dreaming of red coats and blue eyes and deciding that he would go to find Vash the next day, orders or not. He would find Vash. And Vash would know everything…

Nicholas finally found sleep.

In another place, far, far off a man with blue hair and yellow demon eyes frowned.

"Now, now, Chapel. That wasn't our plan. Can you imagine what would happed if the master found out? Tsk, tsk. I don't think he would like it one bit. We'll have to do something about you, won't we?"

He smiled maliciously.

"Ultimate pain and suffering for Vash the Stampede…"

.^_^ END ^_^.