Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Generation Gunsmoke ❯ Into the Unknown... ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Standard Disclaimer: Making no money, please don't sue, etc. etc. etc…

Generation Gunsmoke: Part XIV

"Into the Unknown…"

Nickie and Lazarus were seated at a small corner table, talking quietly over their meal in a small restaurant. The conversation between them flowed freely and ranged over various subject matters - from their backgrounds to the recent whereabouts of Knives Millions. Nickie smiled brightly as she conversed easily on the wide range of topics that came up at the table while Lazarus found himself pleased to find a sharp mind behind her witless façade.

If the truth were told, Lazarus found himself constantly drawn to Nicole the longer he was with her. He had hoped by now that she would be sharing a bed with him, but he reminded himself sternly that only a short amount of time had passed since they had reached an understanding and Nicole had been raised decently. It had taken some persuasion on his part just to convince her to move into a larger suite of rooms with him at the hotel.

Still, in the evenings when he kissed her before going to bed, she responded with increasing enthusiasm. He smiled to himself as he recalled fondling the warm flesh of her breasts and pressing urgent kisses against her throat last night. He had almost believed that she would acquiesce until she hastily pulled out of his embrace with a stammered apology and an acutely red face. He'd bitten back a sharp reply, bowed low, and retreated to his own room.

"Lazarus… "

"Not now, Mother. I am occupied at the current moment."

"Then UN-occupy yourself. I have news of Knives."

Mentally sighing, Lazarus replied, "As you wish…"

He signaled the waiter for the check. "I must leave you for a while. I have some business that I must conduct this evening. Come along, Nicole and I will walk you back to the hotel before I go."

Nickie looked at him in disbelief. Lazarus was everything she had ever wanted in a man, but he insisted on treating her like a small child at times. Trying to put him off, she smiled brightly in his direction and replied, "I'll wait for you here, then."

"No, you will not. I will escort you to our room and you will stay there until I return."

"I will not be treated like a small child, Lazarus. I am perfectly capable of looking after myself."

"Like you were looking after yourself when the bank robber tried to steal you in front of your brother? Come, Nicole, do not be unreasonable. You know there are those men here that kidnap women for their own purposes. I would not have that happen to you."

"And how do you know about that incident?"

"It is a long story and at another time I will share it with you, but for now, you must do as I say. It is for your own protection."

"Well, can't I come with you then? Please, I don't want to go to the hotel. I was hoping we could go over to the saloon and have a few drinks and maybe play some cards."

"If you insist, then we can go later, but you will return to the hotel and stay in our room."

Nickie sighed and snatched her coat from the back of her chair. Lazarus was being so unfair. She was a grown woman after all and she had the right to make her own decisions. He was silent, as they had made their way down the street and up the stairs to their room on the third floor. Lazarus had left with the strict admonishment not to leave the room for any reason.

Nickie walked across the spacious room to a window, surveyed the darkened streets below her, and sighed. She found no fault with the suite she and Lazarus now occupied, but it was really annoying that he had confined her to the room without taking her wants into consideration.

Being with Lazarus was wonderful, but he did seem just a little too overprotective at times.

The tune from a piano wafted its way up to her from the saloon across the street. Nickie bit her lip thoughtfully for a moment and snatched up her coat. She was a grown woman and she could go to the saloon if she liked. Hastily scribbling a note to Lazarus, she made her way down the stairs and out into the night streets.

*************

Grady O'Malley couldn't believe his good luck when Nickie entered the saloon. He'd kept careful watch over his prey for several days now and much to his dismay, she was never alone. The man in the white coat accompanied the wench everywhere.

He smiled as the girl ordered three straight shots of whiskey and a beer. She'd be drunk in no time at this rate and his job would be so much easier. Maybe she'd drink enough to pass out at the bar and he could just pick her up and leave with her without any fuss. He usually liked them docile when there was a sale to be made. A wench who struggled usually did some sort of damage to her skin and many of his buyers frowned over damaged merchandise.

Nickie stood at the bar and tossed back her drinks in quick succession. She really liked the raw liquor and was no stranger to its effects. Her first experience with the potent drink had come when she was sixteen. After playing cards for several hours, she had downed a few shots at the urging of the crowd. The next afternoon she had awakened with a terrible headache and had barely made it to the bathroom before she threw up.

Meryl had helped her back to bed and given her a cool cloth for her face. Then, Meryl had told her about the time that she, Uncle Vash, Mamma, and Pappa had spent the night drinking in Mei City. Mamma had had way too much to drink and stripped to her under garments before Meryl could stop her.

Nickie's eyes had widened as the story concluded. Meryl told her that she had performed the same feat as her mother except she had been in a crowded bar room. Meryl smiled and told her she should thank Nick for showing up and bringing her home before the situation had gotten out of hand. Nickie nodded and from that day forward, she never drank enough to completely loose her senses.

Now, she surveyed the room and found a few men in a corner with a deck of cards. "Would you gentlemen care to deal me in?" she asked innocently. There was a hurried scraping of chairs as the men made room for her at their table. Nickie placed her stake in front of her and concentrated on the cards she had been dealt.

************

Lazarus stood on the outskirts of town and peered into the darkness. Spotting no one lingering in the shadows, he called the wind currents and rode them to a nearby ridge. Standing on the high bluff, he glanced back over his shoulder at the town in the distance. This was really further than he wanted to go, but that couldn't be helped. His mother could be absolutely impossible when she had her mind made up. It was best to see what she wanted.

His mother sat perched on an outcrop of rocks, "Lazarus, I am glad to see that you answered my summons so quickly." Lawren's teeth gleamed in the pale moonlight as she smiled. "It is good that I have an obedient son."

"Yes, Mother. I am here as you commanded." He sighed dramatically as he continued, "What is so important that you had to insist I leave my charming dinner companion?"

"Knives is here…"

"Where?"

"He is close to LR Town… probably about 300 isles from here. He has not traveled far from the place he was injured badly."

"So, he went to ground not far from where he was last seen. How intelligent of him to consider that anyone who hunted him would not look there. He's been right under our noses all along."

"And do you think that you are a match for the Master?" Lazarus froze as the cool voice flowed through his mind.

"Your father has made his presence known to you. It is an honor for him to speak…"

"Yes, I know who he is," Lazarus hissed. "He is the man who helped kill hundreds of people and ruined so many lives, all at the whim of a lunatic." Lazarus paused a moment and considered his next words carefully. "Tell me, Legato. Did you enjoy throwing your life away for nothing? Did you care so little for my mother that you would leave her alone and pregnant with me?"

"You overestimate your importance, boy. Your mother knew what I was when I persuaded her to follow me in pursuit of Vash the Stampede. My life was bound to my Master and not to my own desires."

"You bastard… you have no idea how much she has grieved over you, or do you even care?"

"I knew that your mother was strong enough to go on without me. As I have said, my life was not my own. Master demanded that I sacrifice myself for his greater plans." Legato laughed for a moment before answering, "As for you, you were merely the product of my lust for your mother."

"Legato, please do not bait our son," Lawren asked him quietly. "He is undoubtedly shocked to be speaking to his sire for the first time and has failed to show respect."

"Umm… 'please' I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the sound of that word from your lips."

Lazarus spoke aloud in a sharp tone, "Mother, this conversation has gone on far too long for my liking. I have more important matters to occupy me than listening to the foolish dialogue of a dead man."

"I understand my son. I will meet you in the small village 200 isles east of here in 3 days."

"I will be there."

"Tell me, Lazarus… what will you do if you kill the Master? You know of no other life than wandering the desert and killing those who get in your way."

"I don't know what I will do, but you can be damn sure that I'm not throwing my life away just to please anyone."

Legato laughed as his son stormed off in a violent swirl of wind. "Remarkable, he could have the entire planet at his feet if only he utilized his powers fully and served the Master."

"He is not you, Legato," Lawren whispered quietly. "It was wrong of you to torment the boy like that."

"Perhaps, but his love for you is great. You have raised him well."

"Other than trying to find Knives, I had little else to do with my time. Midvalley was worth a great deal of money, you know."

"Yes, he was. And now that the Master is close to being found, what will you do then? Will you live out your life in peace or…"

"I will die when Knives dies. I am weary of this life."

"A dramatic event that I will look forward to, you may be sure."

"I figured you would…"

*************

Nickie stretched and yawned behind her hand. It was very late and still Lazarus had not come to the saloon. Maybe he was mad at her and wouldn't be coming or maybe he was still out. He never said how long he would be gone. Looking around the table, she downed the last of her beer and stood to leave. "Gentlemen, it has been a pleasure."

The four men stood as Nickie took her winnings from the table. She was $$100 ahead, but none of them minded. It was rare that a woman showed such skill with the cards. "Would you like one of us to escort you somewhere, Miss Nickie?"

She smiled as she gathered up her coat and tossed it across her shoulders. "Thank you for the offer, but I am staying right across the street. I'm sure I will be fine."

"As you wish, Miss Nickie. It has been our pleasure." The four men nodded and watched her walk to the door.

Nickie stopped outside on the sidewalk, breathing in the cool night air. It was such a nice night. She wondered where Lazarus had gotten himself off to this evening. The light from the moons cast a silvery glow on the town. It was very romantic she thought as she crossed the street.

Grady watched her from the shadows. Another few feet and she'd pass in front of the alleyway where he was hiding. He'd already had two offers of $$1500 for the wench sight unseen. Another step or two and she'd be his.

Nickie walked along, humming to herself and stargazing. She thought about Nick and wondered where he was. She knew he was all right and he'd show up eventually in LR Town. She thought again about Lazarus and about the bargain she'd made with him.

She knew he'd eventually grow tired of her pleas that she wasn't ready yet, but he was showing her a good deal of consideration by not insisting that she fall into his bed right away. Her thoughts drifted along and she paid no attention to her surroundings until strong hands grabbed her from behind and pulled her into the darkness.

*********

Settle down little lady, you're not going anywhere."

Nickie tried to scream against the grimy palm pressed against her lips, but the person holding her was very strong. Throwing herself forward, she tried to wrench from her assailant's hold.

"You're a fighter and some cat house will pay top dollar for you, but I can't let you mark up the merchandise."

Nickie hands scratched frantically at the man's face, but to no avail. He slammed one hand against her temple and the light momentarily winked out behind her eyes. "Lazarus…" she thought desperately.

************

Lazarus took the stairs two at a time in his haste to return to Nicole. He'd never been more furious in his life. How dare a dead man seek to lecture him on his future? He'd lazily drifted with the wind currents for a couple of hours, calming his temper before returning to the hotel.

Opening the door quietly, he was surprised to find all the lights still on and no sign of Nicole. Searching the room hurriedly, he found the note she'd left for him earlier.

Dear Lazarus,

I know you don't want me to leave, but you can't go on treating me like a child. Please don't be angry, I just wanted to play cards and have a few drinks. I'll be in the saloon across the street.

All my love,

Nicole

His fingers tightened around the note he was holding. Stubborn little wench- she refused to see the danger right in front of her eyes. He was going to that bar and drag her out and paddle her backside for being out alone at night. Still, she'd signed the note 'all my love'. That was a step in the right direction as far as he was concerned. He made his way down the stairs and was stepping out of the door when a sharp cry broke into his mind. "Lazarus…"

Something was wrong. Nicole was in trouble. He pitied the individual who had taken it upon themselves to meddle with what was his.

***********

Grady slowly released his hold on the girl he'd been holding. His customers would not mind a bump on the head if it helped subdue the property. It actually made for a smoother sale.

He dragged the semi-conscious Nickie further down the darkened alleyway. He listened closely for sounds of alarm, but none were raised. Luck was on his side tonight. The girl was none the worse for wear and he'd managed to capture her without much of a hassle. She was mumbling for someone called Lazarus. Grady shrugged. That was probably that tall man who was usually with her. He smirked as he felt the firmness of her breasts through the material of her blouse. She'd definitely bring a handsome price.

At the end of the alley, Grady took another look around before heaving the girl in the back of a truck. She'd be ok there until he managed to put a few isles between them and the town. She moaned and rolled over, trying to sit up. "Lay down, bitch or I'll clout you again," he snapped while shoving at her body.

Nicole grasped his flailing hand and clung to it with all her might. Grady cursed at her again and then howled as sharp teeth sank into the side of his hand. He lunged backward, dragging her with him. Nickie closed her mouth harder on his flesh, knowing that she had to hang on. She couldn't let him leave town with her. He screamed again and managed to kick Nickie free. She rolled a few feet away and sat up furiously shaking her head and blinking her eyes. She had to get to her feet.

"You have made a serious mistake."

"Who's there… this doesn't concern you. Just a little domestic dispute with my wife." Grady peered into the darkness, straining to see who was speaking as he eased his gun from his waist.

"I do not believe you have heard me." Lazarus spoke quietly as he advanced from the deep shadows. "The young lady is mine. What is mine I protect." Lazarus stopped a few feet away. "You will die."

Grady laughed hoarsely in the darkness. "Fuck off…"

Nickie sat huddled across the way, not fully believing what she was seeing. Lazarus' eyes flashed with a light of their own. Platinum fury blazed in their depths. His voice was cool and deadly without a trace of emotion. This was not the man who had shown her such courtesy and tenderness. Her assailant fell to his knees on the ground; his gun lay forgotten as he screamed with some unseen torment.

"The girl is mine… you have dared put your hands on something that I laid claim to many years ago…Any who stand in the way of my desires will either move aside or die."

Nickie pulled herself to her feet and watched in growing horror as Lazarus stepped closer to the man on the ground. The man clasped his hands on either side of his head, "Make it stop, make it stop…"

It seemed to Nickie that the man's flesh rippled and bubbled on his arms and face. Blood began streaming from his ears and eyes as he collapsed in the dusty street. His pleas faded into choked moans, as a snapping sound became audible.

Tears poured down her face as she watched bones protrude from the man's arms. Lazarus stood over the man lying in the street; "Die…" Blood sprayed from the man's mouth as a loud snap echoed in the dark.

Lazarus turned to face Nickie in the darkness. "Do you see why I instructed you to remain in the room?" He was coldly furious at her, at the dead mad, and most of all at himself. Covering the short distance between them, he shook her roughly by the arms. "Nicole, are you alright? Did that bastard hurt you?"

"It was you… you saved me from that bank robber all those years ago." She whispered and stepped closer to him.

Lazarus automatically put his arms around her, holding her close. "Are you hurt, my sweet?"

She shook her head against his chest. "He… he hit me, but I am ok," she stammered. Looking up into his face, she smiled tremulously. "I want to go back to the hotel now."

Lazarus couldn't help himself as he lowered his mouth to hers. This girl was his and he'd just killed to protect her. It was unfortunate that she'd witnessed such a brutal scene, but that couldn't be helped. It was for the best that she knew what he was capable of. Blood lust raged through his body as his mouth ravaged her tender lips, forcing a response from her. Scooping her up, he strode off into the darkness back to their room.

************

Lazarus set her on her feet as soon as they had returned to the room a few minutes later. Nickie twined her arms around his neck and pulled his mouth down to hers. She needed to feel his touch if only to reassure herself that everything was ok. Lazarus complied with her silent request and hungrily devoured the sweetness of her lips.

Lazarus swore and suddenly pushed her away. "I can't do this, Nicole." She raised questioning eyes to his. "I can't walk away from you tonight." He shed his heavy coat and tossed it to a nearby chair. Stepping closer, he grasped her hand and placed it on the front of his pants.

Nickie gasped sharply as she felt the unmistakable hardness there. She glanced at her hand quickly and saw evidence of his desire for her. He pulled her closer and kissed her swiftly again. "I want you too much to stop when you ask me too." He pulled away from her and turned to face the opposite wall. "Go to bed, Nicole."

Nickie stared at his broad back as he stood there. She glided forward and reached out to him. His back stiffened as she touched him softly. "Lazarus…"

"Good night, Nicole."

Nickie stared at his back for a few more seconds in indecisively. Sighing, she turned to enter her own room. "Good night, Lazarus," she whispered softly. Her door closed with an audible click.

She heard Lazarus' voice through the wall, "Damn it all to hell."

***************

An hour later, Nickie lay alone in her bed in the darkness of the room. She could hear Lazarus prowling around the suite. He was restless and angry and it was all her fault. She should have listened to him and not left the room. He'd frightened her in the alley. But then he'd kissed her so forcefully and with such intense emotion that it had been heaven. Nickie felt her stomach clench as she remembered the heated feeling of desire that had poured through her body when he'd kissed her.

Lazarus was not at all the kind and gentle knight in shining armor she'd pictured. He could be cruel and vicious if the occasion warranted. She chewed her lip in further thought. He made her feel things that one else ever had. He showed her every kindness and consideration. He wanted her badly enough to kill for her, yet he respected her feelings enough to send her away from him. Was she being selfish by keeping herself from him? She lay back and stared at the ceiling. What was she going to do?

Sighing heavily and sitting up in bed, Nickie swung her legs over the edge and climbed to her feet. Glancing briefly in the mirror, she smoothed her long black hair and grimaced at the prim nightgown she was wearing. The white material with long sleeves and high neck did not look as if belonged to a woman bent on seduction. It looked liked something that belonged to a scared virgin girl. "But that's what I am…" she whispered in the darkness.

Nickie pushed her doubts away. This was no time to be timid. Lazarus stood up for her and protected her. He'd never mentioned love, but that was something that she could work on later. She quietly pressed her ear to the door and listened. He must be in his room. Opening the door a small crack, she made sure the coast was clear.

Stepping out into the common area of the suite, Nickie heard Lazarus moving quietly in his room, followed by the creak of bedsprings. Tip toeing across the room, Nickie stood silently before his door. Before she could change her mind, she opened the portal and stepped into the unknown.

*********

To Be Continued…

*********

Blackhat smiles evilly as she ends the chapter there. You were waiting for the hentai weren't you?

Will I have another chapter ready before the holiday ends? Who knows? Company will descend on me tomorrow and the 3am excursion to the Wal-Mart on Friday will tell the tale. School is out this entire week for me, so I am trying to get a bunch of stuff finished before I return to the daily grind.

You know how it is at any school between Thanksgiving and Christmas Break… Everyone is excessively busy, students and teachers are excited by the holiday, semester exams are in 3 weeks…

Happy Turkey Day everyone!

Love and Peace,

Blackhat (^_~)