Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ I Walk Alone ❯ Saint Sinner ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: The name for this came from a TV series by…Clive Barker, I think. It certainly wasn't a futuristic western, but I think the name fits perfectly, anyway.

Warning: You should read "I Walk Alone" first for a better idea of what's going on here. You should also watch out for a certain somebody's sadistic sense of humor (thinking rape is fun, for example).

Summary: A look into Vash's head during "I Walk Alone."

Saint Sinner

A Trigun Fanfiction by:

Nate Grey

XMAN0123@aol.com

He had not spoken since Legato's death.

But that was because he'd been mostly listening.

Odd, how dead men weren't supposed to tell tales, and yet these two couldn't or wouldn't shut up.

Well. Only one of them was currently dead, and Vash had a feeling the other would be soon, too.

"…so the guy throws his hands up and says, 'I surrender!' all loud so everyone can hear him, but I take one step forward, and I'm still dodging bullets! Turns out the dirty sneak had his kid stuffed inside his coat. Course, I didn't find that out until after I shot him…them."

Vash blinked. On second thought, maybe he'd just kill himself and save the angels the trouble.

"What a shock," remarked the one in black with a sadistic smirk. "Yet another of your stories ends in pointless bloodshed. Are you sure you're on the right side?"

The one in white scowled at him. "Don't make me come over there, buddy."

"Oh, that's right. PLEASE don't hurt me, other half of little Vashie's conscience. We'll probably give him a splitting headache, if we're lucky."

"He's not a kid anymore," the light one grunted, lighting a cigarette. "Time you realized that."

"Oh, he'll always be a kid brother to me," the dark one insisted. "Silly, foolish, innocent Vashie."

"He can HEAR us, you know."

"Oh, I know," he chuckled. "I've always known…"

* * * * *

There probably something not right in his head, Vash knew as he stepped onto the porch of the jailhouse. Wolfwood was definitely dead, but Knives definitely wasn't. By all rights, only the priest's voice should've been present in his mind.

But then, that was a lie. Knives had always had a voice in his thoughts, even when they were children. To be surprised that he was still there now would be foolish.

Their arguing was starting to get on his nerves, though. Wolfwood kept insisting that Vash was a good man, and Knives kept calmly restating that Vash was ultimately a dead man walking, among other things.

The sad thing was that Vash agreed with him, to a point. It was no wonder people called him the Humanoid Typhoon. Everywhere he went, a trail of death and destruction followed. It was only natural that people began to blame him. He was responsible, if only indirectly in some cases. He was a walking unnatural disaster, a plague upon humanity. How could he ever have claimed to be their savior?

A few days ago, he'd nearly gotten the girls killed. Yes, it was Legato that ordered them to be killed, but he was only involved to hurt Vash. In that moment, Vash finally realized that his life had never been and would never be simple. He would either have to break his promise to Rem, or watch two innocent girls that he cared about die.

In the end, he'd had to admit that Rem was dead, but that Meryl & Millie weren't…yet. So he had broken his promise to her, hoping she might one day forgive him. Rem was that kind of person after all, to forgive people when they did something wrong. She might even have forgiven Knives by now…

* * * * *

"I don't like this," Wolfwood muttered as Vash stepped into the cell. "Something's wrong."

"We've finally driven him crazy," Knives said with a bit of glee in his voice.

"Shut up, you." Wolfwood dropped his cigarette and stepped on it. "Hey, Vash. What are you up to?"

Vash ignored his friend. He had to do this.

"Vash? Vash???"

"We've been followed," Knives noted as Meryl entered the cell. He perked up a bit. "Hey, maybe he'll finally get some!"

Wolfwood rolled his eyes. "With HER? You ARE insane! He's got a better chance with Millie!"

"I thought she was yours?" Knives asked with a grin.

"…even so, he's STILL got a better chance with her."

Knives sighed. "Well, I wasn't planning on suggesting he just ASK her."

"What are you…" Wolfwood trailed off as he looked Knives in the face. "Oh, you sick bastard, you."

"What?! It could be fun! It's not like he has any experience!"

"You are so LUCKY I can't kill you!" Wolfwood shouted.

"What, and you NEVER thought about doing her?"

"NO!" he screamed.

"What about Millie, huh?"

"…not like THIS!" Wolfwood insisted after a second's thought.

"I thought so. For a priest, you have a dirty mind. I knew I'd like you."

"Never say that again," the priest growled in a threatening tone.

They both stopped arguing as Vash drew his gun and pointed at Meryl.

"…okay, I didn't see THAT coming," Knives admitted. He sighed. "There goes our fun."

"Would you shut up about that?! Vash would never do that to anyone!"

"Anyone? Don't tell me he's gay?"

Wolfwood paused. "What if he was?"

Knives shrugged, looking thoughtful. "Maybe he's bi?" he asked hopefully.

"…you know, with you in his head, I'm surprised he hasn't tried to rape himself. Because YOU are one fucked up half of a conscience."

"You say the sweetest things." Knives suddenly let out a high-pitched laugh. "I knew it! He's going to do us all in!"

"What?!" Wolfwood finally noticed that Vash had put the gun in his own mouth. "Dammit, Vash! Not in front of her!" he sighed angrily, noticing the terrified look in Meryl's eyes.

Knives waved away his concern. "Oh, relax. He won't do it. He doesn't have the guts. Never did."

"How would YOU know?"

"He's not going to shoot himself. After all, who would try to stop ME? The girls?" He paused and smiled. "Now THAT could be a lot of fun…"

"How do you keep from strangling yourself? I have to know," Wolfwood spat.

"See, look," Knives grumbled as Vash put the gun away. "Total coward. No balls at all."

"You do know we'd all die if he shot himself in the head."

"Are you THAT clueless? We're just acting as a temporary conscience. You're already dead, and when Vash dies, I'll just go back to my body in a REALLY good mood."

Wolfwood started to say something, but stopped asVash threw Meryl against the wall.

Maybe there's hope for him yet," Knives said approvingly.

"Oh, shut the hell up."

"Oooh, hey! Shackles! Kinky!"

Wolfwood sighed as Vash chained Meryl to the wall. "You've finally driven him completely mad."

"Maybe he was listening to my idea before?" Knives said hopefully.

The priest turned green. "I really hope not." He sighed in relief as Vash turned and started out of the jailhouse.

"Chicken," Knives muttered. "Told you he had no balls."

Vash stepped off the porch to see Millie coming straight at him. There was regret in her eyes, but her face was set in a determined scowl as she ran at him.

"Go, big girl," Knives chuckled.

Vash backed up slightly and drove his fist into her stomach.

Millie folded over his arm and collapsed, her stun gun landing heavily on the ground beside her.

"Damn. Can't believe he hit her," Knives said, noting Wolfwood was red with rage. "Me, I would've just shot her in the head. But not hit her."

"He…pulled his punch," Wolfwood said through clenched teeth. "She'll be out for hours."

"And he'll be long gone without a trace." Knives sighed. "Guess I better prepare another spot for dinner. Later, priest."

Wolfwood said nothing as Knives vanished. Vash walked a little taller after that, though, more purpose in his strides than before. He seemed surprisingly calm for a man that was out to kill his only brother.

"Oh, Vash," Wolfwood whispered sadly, shaking his head. "What has this world done to you? What has HE done to you?"

As if in reply, Vash said softly, "From this day forth, I walk alone."

When he slowly felt himself fading away, Wolfwood was forced to agree. "Farewell, Vash the Stampede." The last thing his eyes caught was the light glinting off the huge cross Vash carried on his back. "Keep the faith."

The End.

I know, probably doesn't make much sense. But it was interesting to write, at least…