Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ It had to be you... ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

[Okay. I heard this song on a CD of my mom's and suddenly I got a great idea for a song fiction! Yeah! This'll be my very first songfic and I'm very excited. (Even though I'm not too sure how to write a songfic…) And like my poems for some reason it reminded me of Trigun. ^_^ Oh, well. This is for the people who liked my "Welcome to Eden" story. This is before Knives leaves at the end of my story. Vash, Meryl, Milly, Wolfwood and the entire population of Eden are celebrating. Milly and Wolfwood have said their vows and officially got married (though everyone just thinks they were restating them) and everyone is having a blast. Father Jim is getting drunk, so is Milly and Wolfwood, people are singing, some people dancing, the band is playing their heart out, Knives is watching from a safe distance, and Meryl and Vash are being teased by the people to get hitched themselves. Vash eventually starts singing along with the band (think karaoke). And EVERYONE loves him. ^_^. \\// He sings… pretty well… to Meryl's surprise. But because he's getting drunk, the band strikes up a song that he ends up singing… to a blushing Meryl. This is DEFINITELY Meryl and Vash pairing and romantizing, so if you don't like it… GO AWAY. \\// ^_^. \\// The song Vash sings in this songfic is "It had to be You" by Harry Connick Jr. For those who know the song, sing along. For those who don't, sit back and smile. ^_^ I know I did.]

A Trigun Songfic:

It had to be you…

Meryl smiled at Milly and Wolfwood. The two were laughing, both their cheeks rosy. Wolfwood was alive. She had never felt so happy for Milly in her entire life. They had suffered and endured so much… and they had lost so much. But Milly had stuck through it all and tried to go on living with a smile despite how much she had been hurting. And now it seemed as if everything had paid off in the end. Wolfwood was alive. A miracle.

Meryl leaned her cheek against her hand and watched Milly laugh at something Wolfwood said. He was holding little Davie in his arms. Maybe good things did happen to good people after all…

The band struck up another cord and Meryl turned to the band. She rolled her eyes. Sure, they were celebrating Wolfwood coming back and Milly and Wolfwood's marriage-slash-restating of vows (depending on if you knew the truth or not), but the ruckus that Vash had started was getting out of hand. She rolled her eyes and sighed as she looked up at him. He was singing a song congratulating Milly and Wolfwood. She didn't know if he made it up or not, but when Father Jim got up there and started singing with him, she assumed it really was a song that existed. But they both sounded so silly, singing drunk up there with the band. But no one else seemed to notice. They were either dancing, singing along or just having a great time. Knives was the only one just drinking quietly. Meryl wasn't even sure what he was drinking…

She shook her head and looked up at Vash and her chest hurt started to hurt again. She sighed. She guessed the feeling would never go away after all… She had wondered, after she'd been with him, if her feelings would change…if she would change… But she hadn't. And neither had he. Meryl flushed as she thought of what he had asked her after she had found out Wolfwood was alive.

"I don't know if you'll have me, Meryl, but would you marry me?"

She felt the heat on her face increase. She'd asked him if he was serious, and he said he was. As serious as a heartbeat, he'd said. Meryl looked up and saw his goofy drunken face try to sing a high note and the crack. She held back a laugh. Vash serious? She shook her head. He was probably just feeling moody because of their change of relationship and seeing Milly and Wolfwood being together.

Living together was one thing. Marriage was another.

Meryl took another sip of her drink and smiled. He probably didn't mean anything by it. He was just being the way he is. As serious as a heartbeat, huh? Since when is that goof ever that serious. Especially about a relationship with someone as bitchy as her?

She was just happy that she would spend at least some time of her life with him. No matter how long it lasts. Meryl just hoped it would last… a long time…

Meryl blinked and snapped out of her thoughts. The song had ended and everyone had suddenly gone quiet. She looked around and saw everyone looking at the band. She turned and met aqua eyes.

She felt her face heat up again just as the band started playing a new song. What? What… was going on? Vash moved away from the band and started walking over to her. Everyone's attention was on them. Milly and Wolfwood were grinning at her. Meryl felt her face grow hotter.

What was the stupid needle noggin' doing??? Why's he coming over here with that stupid grin on his face?

He sat down in front of her grinned and suddenly started singing.

"It had to be you.

It had to be you.

I wandered around and finally found the somebody who…

Could make me be true…

Could make me be blue…

Or even be glad, just to be sad,

Thinking of you.

Some others I've seen…

Might never be mean…

Might never be cross,

Or try to be boss,

But they wouldn't do.

For nobody else… gave me a thrill,

With all your faults, I love you still.

It had to be you,

Wonderful you.

It had to be you."

Vash stopped singing then, while the band continued playing and suddenly grabbed Meryl, lifting her from her seat. Meryl knew her face was still beat red, she could feel the heat all the way to her ears.

Meryl saw Vash grin at her and her heart skipped a beat. What on earth was the blasted needle noggin' doing?! Everyone was grinning and clapping to the song. Some couples were dancing around. Vash twirled her into the whirl of dancers, pressing her up against him. He dipped her once and Meryl couldn't help it.

She laughed.

He twirled her around and danced with her all the way to the band, where he suddenly stopped and gave her a heart-stopping grin that made her breath catch. Meryl felt him tightened his hold on her. Her heart felt like it was at her throat.

And then he suddenly started singing again. To her. Right in front of everyone while holding her. Tightly.

"Some others I've seen…

Might never be mean…

Might never be cross,

Try to be boss

They wouldn't do.

For nobody else,

Gave me a thrill,

With all your faults,

I love you still.

Baby, it had to be you,

Wonderful you.

It had to be you…!"

The song ended with a flourish and Vash grinned at her. Meryl's face flamed up even more. He laughed and then kissed her.

Meryl's eyes widened as she felt his lips against hers. But his soft, insistent lips made her forget all about her embarrassment. She sighed against him and wrapped her arms around him, kissing him back. Stupid needle noggin'…

Meryl didn't even hear the cheers that resounded after the kiss.

"So when's the weddin'?" Father Jim shouted.

Meryl felt as if she'd been drenched in cold water. She pulled away abruptly from the kiss, her face flaming up again as she turned to Father Jim. She didn't even notice she was still in Vash's arms. "W-w-what?!"

"What's wrong, Meryl?" Wolfwood shouted from across the room. Meryl turned and saw his grinning face. "Hadn't Vash told you yet?"

Meryl felt as if steam was coming out of her face. "B-b-but…"

"Meryl?"

She turned back to Vash and ended up trapped by his gaze.

"Didn't I tell you I was serious before? As serious as a heartbeat." Vash smiled down at her and Meryl felt her lips and throat go dry. "It had to be you, Meryl. Wonderful you. It had to be you."

Meryl was choked up. She felt tears stinging her eyes. No…she wasn't going to cry… She wasn't… going to… Meryl threw her arms around him and kissed him fiercely. You stupid needle noggin'…

She was going to live life one day at a time. She would live. She would hope. She would love.

I love you… Vash…