Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Long Road Ahead ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Trigun or any of the characters related to Trigun.

Author's Rants: This is just a little section where I will say things that come to me. Okay it is very popular for people to have Meryl act all surprised when Vash calls her by her name instead of insurance girl. Usually saying it is the first time it has ever happened. Sure, Vash rarely refers to her as Meryl but it has happened before, but when he is being really serious, which isn't that often. Episode 22, while all for of them are still in the jeep at the very beginning Meryl says Vash's name I believe and Vash looks up and says Yeah (or yes something like that) Meryl? There you go, he has spoken her name before. Sorry that was just what was on my mind right now……

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Long Road Ahead

Chapter 1

Meryl's POV

I heard him scream and within seconds I had him in my arms. I had dashed up the stairs and wrapped my arms around him. I stood there as the man over a foot taller than me cried into my chest. I didn't know what else to do, Milly was at work still and I couldn't think of any other way to comfort him, so I just stood there and let him cry. `Why did this all have to happen? Why does Vash have to go through this again? Everything has gone wrong since he came back….'

* * *

Normal POV *~2 weeks earlier~*

"Three months Milly, he has been gone for three months" said an angry insurance girl as she walked in the house she shared with her partner. She walked into the kitchen to find Milly cooking their dinner as usual.

"Don't worry Meryl," said Milly as Meryl sat down at the table. "Mr. Vash never breaks his promises. He said he will be back so he will."

"Easy for you to say." mumbled Meryl, though it went seemingly unnoticed by a humming Milly. Meryl's eyes drifted to Milly's now protruding stomach. `At least you have something to remember he man you loved by, I only have a memory of a missed opportunity.'

"Cheer up Meryl. Like big, big sister always use to say, the sun will rise tomorrow no matter what happens today." chirped Milly as she set down two bowls of some sort of soup the smelled really good despite it's grotesque appearance.

"Thank you" Meryl said quietly as they both began to eat. After a pretty good meal and cleaning, Milly went to sit on the porch while Meryl sat inside reading. The evening dragged on in silence until Milly's voice rang out with a cry of joy.

"Meryl, come quickly, he's back." Meryl immediately dropped her book on the kitchen table and dashed out to the porch. Tears almost swelled up in her eyes as a tall man with dark body armor limped towards their house with an equally tall man draped over his shoulder. "Mr. Vash, you came back." beamed Milly as Vash made it to the porch. "Who is he Mr. Vash, he looks like he is in serious pain?"

"Of course I came back," answered Vash with on of his cheesy grins plastered on his face. "I couldn't leave my two favorite insurance girls waiting too long." The grin suddenly disappeared and Vash's face became very solemn. "He is my brother." Vash said in the most serious voice that Meryl of Milly had ever heard him use. "He really needs some medical attention right now. I have kept him alive so far, but he seems to be getting worse."

"Right." said Milly with a nod. "You and Meryl should take him inside and I will go get the doctor." Both Vash and Meryl nodded as Milly dashed off towards the town's doctor's house.

Meryl looked nervously at Knives. "Is this a good idea?" she asked after remembering the conversation she had with Vash a few months ago. "To have him here I mean."

"He has been out for the past three months, I don't know when he will wake up." answered Vash. Meryl looked down before motioning Vash to follow her into the house. She led them to his old room and stood there as Vash lay Knives on the bed. Vash looked back over his now healed shoulder at Meryl who immediately adverted her gaze to outside the window. Coming down the street at a brisk jog was Milly and the town doctor.

When Milly and the doctor arrived in the small room, he told all three of them that they would have to wait outside of the room while he worked. After about ten minutes Milly went downstairs to get them all something to drink. "He'll be fine Vash. If he is related to you, he should pull through quickly now that he will be getting proper care." said Meryl as she continued to lean her back against the wall and look at the floor.

"I hope you are right." softly answered Vash with none of the usual vigor in his voice. "I thought that I could take care of him, but her never seemed to improve. I came back here because I know that I could get him some real help here." `And I knew you where here.'

Their conversation ended and Milly soon returned with three glasses of precious water. Vash was about to comment on them finding water, but the doctor opened the door and stepped into the crowded hallway. "I can't find anything wrong with him. There is no sign from the scars what his wounds were ever infected. His breathing is a little irregular, but there seems to be no damage to his lungs. He seems to want to be in this coma state. I gave him a sedative to calm his breather, but I can't do much more. Just keep him hydrated and try and keep him comfortable, maybe that will bring him out of this."

"Thank you doctor." said Milly as she escorted him to the front door only to be scolded about the running in her condition.

Meryl and Vash crept silently into the room Knives was now sleeping in. Vash went immediately to his brother's side while Meryl stood in the back of the room watching him.

`Snap out of it Knives. The doctor says nothing is wrong with you so you are just drawing this whole thing out.' begged Vash telepathically to his brother. `I am here to take care of you, just like Rem told me to do.' As Knives received the word Rem, Vash was sure he saw him jump a little, but nothing happened after that.

"What do you think is wrong with him Mr. Vash?" asked Milly as she appeared by his side.

"I don't know, it is almost like he does not want to wake up. It is like he wants to stay in the darkness."

"Why would anyone want to do that Mr. Vash. Is your brother hiding from something?"

"Come on Milly." quickly said Meryl not wanting to have to have Vash explain who his brother had done to Milly. "I bet Vash and Knives could use some quiet and we both have work tomorrow. You can ask all your questions tomorrow."

"Yes, your right. Good night Meryl, Mr. Vash, I am very happy that you are back." said Milly with a grin before she exited the room to go to hers.

"You really should sleep to Vash. I'll set some blankets out on the couch for you. Good night." said Meryl before heading towards the door.

"Good night." Vash paused for a second. Just before Meryl shut the door he spoke again. "Meryl?"

"Yes Vash?" answered Meryl as she stood in the half closed doorway. (A/N: Read my rant if you want to know why Meryl didn't react to him saying her name.)

"Thank you." Vash finished quietly before turning back to his brother. He heard the door click and footsteps heading down the hallway towards the stairs. "Maybe I shouldn't have come back." Vash whispered to the night air when he was sure that Meryl was out of ear shot. "I have just put them all in danger. Meryl is always talking about the money problems and not with Milly going to have a baby, even if I do get a job there is still going to be problems. Meryl will cut back on everything, even doughnuts. Thoughts of losing his favorite food caused Vash's eyes to water. "Why does everything bad have to happen to me." Vash whined while letting his head fall back so he was staring at the ceiling. "This is so unfair."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~Amanda a.k.a. Kazk

When life hands you lemons…. squirt the juice in the eye of the bastard that pissed you off in the first place.

Where in Gunsmoke is Kuroneko?

No mater what you do in life………YOU WON'T GET OUT OF IT ALIVE!!!!!!!!