Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Midvalley's Serenade ❯ Storing Up Memories ( Chapter 19 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The week that followed was the most unusual I had experienced as a guest instructor because the contest between the "talented" students and the "no-talents" left Nick and me with precious little to do. I had never seen students so self-motivated before.

The effort that Chapel had put into teaching weapon handling had paid off. The accumulated scores of all the students were the highest since Nick had been a student.

I think I was equally surprised by the test scores in the Strategy and Tactics classes.

When the last class was over on Friday afternoon, the students, in grand academy tradition stomped, bellowed and banged on the walls of the hallway, so relieved that the tension of finals week was ended. The noise was deafening.

"Let's get out of here," I mouthed to Nick.

He smiled, nodded, and we headed out the door and back to my apartment. Once behind closed doors, we did a little banging on the walls ourselves. I could sense Legato's presence at the edge of my consciousness as Nick and I began but soon I forgot about him. I was so into what Nick and I were doing to ease our tension that when we reached the peak, I abandoned myself to the explosion of pleasure in my brain, and clung to him panting and dripping sweat afterwards. It relaxed us both so much, that we ended up catnapping on the bed for almost an hour. Nick knew I wanted some rest before my Friday night gig at the White Cat Saloon.

I woke up to the gentle stroke of his hand on the skin of my shoulders. The expression on his face as he watched over me was a little wistful.

"What are you doing, Nick?" I asked him.

"Storing up memories, Midvalley. I'm going to miss you."

I felt a pang in my heart and the start of tears in my eyes. He could see I was affected. Still I laughed off the mood.

"For God's sake, have pity on me, Nick. Let's make a pact. Promise me that you won't even think of it again or mention it until we say good-bye. We've got tonight and tomorrow to store up memories. Let's not make them sad ones."

"You're right, Midvalley. We'll still be consulting partners."

"And don't you forget it, my friend."

Still he looked a little low and I wanted to make love to him then and there if only to put a real smile on his face again. I reached for him, but he just gave me the ghost of a smile and said, "You've got a gig tonight and there's only just enough time to get ready and have a bite to eat before we go. There's always tomorrow."

We got ready for a night on the town. I wore a burgundy crushed velvet suit with a pink silk shirt. Nick looked elegant in his classic black and white. We stopped in at the dining facility for a meal before heading over to the saloon. We were about the only ones there except for Caine and Pitts off in a corner by themselves. They ate slowly and gazed at each other intently.

I could not help noticing that Pitts had taken some care with his appearance. He had shaved the blue growth of beard that always appeared so rapidly on his face. His hair still wet from a shower was slicked back in a pony tail. His shirt and jeans were denim. He wore a brown leather vest with a thin red bandana knotted around his neck.

Caine was dressed in a new buckskin jacket. I tried to imagine a woman's figure under that jacket as I took a forkful of pot roast. It was getting easier. There was something willowy and feminine in the way Caine's legs were crossed.

Nick turned in his chair to see what I was staring at, then looked back at me with a grin.

"Still trying to fathom the mystery, I see."

"As always," I replied.

From my seat I saw Dominique come through the door. Her eyes went immediately to Caine and Pitts. She seemed disappointed by what she saw, but she got in the cafeteria line, had the cook dish her up large portions of everything and then arrived at our table with her heavily laden tray.

"Hey, Dominique," I said, "always good to see you again. You remember Chapel," I said as I indicated Nick.

"I've heard a lot about you two," she said as she took her coat off and sat down.

"Why's your tray so loaded up, Dominique?" I asked her.

"Free food, Midvalley. I'm back in the land of free food. The good old academy, but I think you'll find the price is higher than you think, Chapel."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Nick asked her.

"I get all the gossip, Chapel, and I heard you need to work off a debt, but you don't know what I know."

"What do you know?" he asked.

"I know from experience that Master Knives and Legato reserve the shittiest assignments for the neediest agents. You'll find you're caught in a squeeze between your creditors and your employer. You're basically the shit in a shit sandwich. I swear, some days, fucking for money would give me more pleasure than what I am doing."

"Can you give me an example of what's so bad?" Nick asked with a vaguely worried look.

"Are you joking?" said Dominique. "It's all hush-hush, top-secret crap. Loyalty and success. Loyalty and success. God when I think back to how Legato soft-soaped me, I could kick myself for my stupidity. `I doubt you're concerned about mission failure, Dominique,' he tells me." Dominique had a talent for mimicry and she did a creditable job of capturing Legato's tone and inflection when she said it.

"Oh, I see from your reaction that it sounds familiar, Chapel," she said.

"I've known you for quite a while, but I don't think I've ever seen you so upset, Dominique. Mocking Legato isn't the smartest move, you know," I said.

"Probably not, but if you'd been through what I have you'd be tense, too. I know I'll feel better when I get a couple of drinks under my belt. To tell the truth, though, I was looking for a different kind of action below the belt, Midvalley. In fact, I was hoping to spend some time with you," she said to me, "but the gossip going round is that the Hornfreak's wearing a chastity belt and Chapel here," she glanced at Nick, "holds the key."

Nick blushed and said, "Hey, get your own boyfriend, or girlfriend. I'm sure Midvalley wasn't your first choice. I saw you looking at Caine when you came in. If you want to get upset, get upset with Caine, but you probably noticed that Caine appears to be in love with someone else."

"Who wouldn't notice?" she said.

"I saw you talking to Rai-dei last night. What's the matter with him? Not your type?" asked Nick.

"Hey, I tried, but he's got a hard-on for the Hornfreak, too."

"That's crap, Dominique," I said, a little irritated by her insinuation. "He's a fan and that's all. Legato's off Master Knives' leash. Since you're so hard-up and he's available, why don't you jump his bones. Maybe he'll ease up on your assignments," I said sarcastically.

"Oh, fuck Legato," she said. "Oh that's right, you probably did, I heard about the hard-ons. Big news like that travels fast. Too bad for you, Chapel, but whatever Legato wants, Legato gets."

I could tell Nick was annoyed by the remark.

"Oh, well, Dominique, since you're as horny as a tomas in heat, I guess you'd better head over to the stable and find yourself a tomas stud for a boyfriend since you can't find a humanoid one," Nick said.

" Pretty crude talk from a priest, but since you are so crude maybe you can give me the low-down on the Randall City boys. Any of them hump-worthy?"

"Give it up, Dominique, I'm sure you'll make some tomas very happy," Nick said. "But if you want a humanoid, there's a rumor going round that Grey #5 is a pretty good kisser."

Dominique snorted, "You are so full of shit, Chapel."

"Well, that's the human condition. Need some help with your desserts?" said Nick as he tried to sneak a dish from her tray. She smacked his hands away with her spoon. "You took my boyfriend, you're not taking my dessert."

She took a big spoonful of vanilla pudding.

"Well look at Dominique, sucking down the cream again," I chuckled.

She just about choked on it.

"God, you're rude, Hornfreak," she declared, when she finally swallowed the mouthful.

"Hey, you started it," I said and burst out laughing.

Dominique joined in with me and Chapel just stared at us and shook his head.

"Too bad you won't let me finish it," she said with a leer. "Damn, I'm a horny bitch tonight. Sorry, Midvalley. Sorry, Chapel," she said as she switched her spoon to a different dish and took a bite of stew. "God, I have been starved for so long and in so many ways."

She ate with appetite, for a while. She finished the bowl, took a big drink of coffee and tucked into a piece of plum pie. After she finished the slice, she washed it down with a little more coffee.

"That was good," she said.

"Well, we'd love to stay and watch you eat, but I've got a gig starting in a half-hour, so Nick and I are going now. Will we see you later tonight, Dominique?" I asked.

"Maybe," she said. "Hey, before you go, last night, who was that guy hanging around with the drummer, Larry or whatever his name was?"

"Lenny."

Yeah, that's right, Lenny. The guy who was hanging out with Lenny looked pretty cute."

"Sorry, I didn't notice."

"Yeah, right. You may be with Chapel, but I know you still notice, Midvalley. See you both later."

"Dominique is on the prowl," I said to Nick as we left the cafeteria. "If she uses the Demon's Eye to seduce Dave, Lenny's gonna be an emotional wreck. I've seen him before under that kind of pressure and he'll be in no shape to play."

By the time we got there at half past seven, the saloon was already jam-packed. In a way it was a pity that Miss Adelaide sacrificed the dance floor to make room for more paying customers. I always enjoy watching the dancers when we play because they really get into the music. One of the new songs I had written was a waltz. I had hoped that Dixie might sing it this evening. But it would have to wait until the graduation dance.

Most of the crowd at the saloon was Academy students and teachers. Rai-dei must have showed up early, because he had a seat up-front. The "talented" students and the "no-talents" feud was still on and they were seated at different tables, glaring at each other and occasionally using hand gestures to show contempt.

Bernie Welch, Ben Evans, and Jake Berkis, all wearing plaid flannel shirts and jeans, were drinking beer and sniggering red-faced. They weren't drunk, but they were feeling no pain. Zazie and E.G. Mine looked rather stiff and uncomfortable at a table for two. E.G. Mine was dressed in his dark navy sweats again instead of his weapon suit, a practical consideration since the bathroom stalls at the saloon were notoriously narrow.

Legato showed up a few minutes later, walked over to the best table in the house, right in front of the small stage that served as a bandstand and persuaded the party of six that occupied it to leave. He then sat down in one of the newly vacant chairs.

Nick was standing next to me near the stage, hanging loose while I played a few riffs to see how the new reed was breaking in. Silvia sounded sweet and looked beautiful shined up.

"Silvia is in good voice this evening, Midvalley," said Legato. "And, Chapel, I must congratulate you. You really have proved yourself the best weapon skills teacher, bar none, that the academy has ever had."

I saw Rai-dei at the next table react to this statement. I couldn't exactly name the expression on his face, but he wasn't pleased.

"Won't you join me at my table this evening, Chapel?" asked Legato.

"Sure, why not," replied Nick.

"I hope you will sit with us during your breaks, Midvalley," said Legato but then his attention was drawn by the swinging of the batwing doors, "Ah, the lovely Dominique arrives."

All the students noticed her arrival as well, their eyes fastened like glue to every curve of her.

She scanned the room and made her way to the stage where Dave was performing a sound check.

Dominique caught his eye and beckoned to him with her finger crooked. He looked a little non-plussed but came over to find out what she wanted. He raised no protest when she took him by the wrist and pulled him after her up the little hallway that led to the rest rooms.

I sighed.

"What's the matter, Midvalley," asked Legato.

"Dominique is using the Demon's Eye on Dave," I said with a deeper sigh.

I heard Lenny shout, "What the hell!?" and a few moments later, he came tearing up the passageway, crossed the crowded floor of the saloon at top speed, and slammed through the batwing doors.

"Well, there goes the gig and the dance," I said in a resigned tone.

Now it was Legato who sighed lightly.

"Chapel, would you be so kind as to stop `Lenny' from leaving?" he uttered the drummer's name with some distaste.

Nick glanced at me and went after Lenny.

"I have been looking forward to this music all week.," said Legato. " Are all musicians so temperamental, I wonder. Oh, never mind."

Since Legato appeared to be talking to himself, I didn't respond.

"I do hope she's not in the mood to be willful this evening. She has been doing such good work for Master Knives," he murmured, then stood up and walked up the hall. I followed him.

We found Dominique with her arms locked tight around glassy-eyed Dave, her agile tongue working in his unprotesting mouth.

"Dominique," said Legato softly. "I want you to be my guest tonight."

It took a moment for Legato's words to register, but when they did, Dominique stepped away from Dave and pushed him against the wall.

"Jealous?" she inquired of Legato with a raised eyebrow.

"Hardly," demurred Legato. " The drummer won't drum while you've got your tongue stuck down his boyfriend's throat. It makes it difficult for him to concentrate."

"That's not my problem," said Dominique and she grabbed hold of Dave, fastened her lips on his and carried on where she'd left off.

"Hmm. You are headstrong tonight. If you want to kiss, Dominique, I'll give you all the action you can handle.

"It's about time," said Dominique with an arch smile as she shoved Dave aside again and moved towards Legato with her lips puckered. Legato stepped aside, as if to let a customer pass through to the rest rooms and Dominique, to her deep chagrin, found herself in a passionate lip-lock with E. G. Mine.

Dominique struggled to get out of the kiss, but Legato's psionic talents dwarfed Dominique's and she found herself powerless to escape.

"You wanted action, Dominique, now you've got it. Did you know that Mr. Mine has a picture of you next to his bed. Please feel free to join me at my table when your passion is spent, though I think you may be a while. Why, he's positively inspired this evening," said Legato with a tone of faint admiration.

Dave was still leaning stunned against the wall.

"Take him, Midvalley. Explain it all to `Lenny' and please start the music on time. I'm expecting Leonof and Chapel the Evergreen this evening."

I found Lenny sunk in depression, sitting on a bench on the boardwalk in front of the saloon. Nick sat beside him smoking.

Dave was beginning to pull out of the stupor caused by the demon's eye. He reached out to comfort his lover who looked so sad saying, "God, what's the matter, Lenny?"

"How can you ask me that?" asked the drummer with tears in his eyes and an ache in his voice, but still he stood and stepped into the warmth of Dave's embrace. "How could you do it? How could you do it?" sobbed Lenny.

"Do what? I don't know what happened," protested Dave.

"Í saw you in the hall kissing that woman with the eye patch," said Lenny.

" Someone was kissing me?" Dave rubbed his lips with his fingers. "I don't remember," he said.

"Lenny, Dave didn't do it on purpose. That woman, Dominique, used her psionic powers," I said. "I knew she wanted to make a move on Dave but there was nothing I could do to stop her."

"Please believe me, Lenny. I would never cheat on you," said Dave.

"So how is it that she stopped?" asked Lenny, growing calmer as Dave comforted him.

"Legato stopped her. He wants to hear us play tonight and he wants it to start soon, so if you could pull yourself together, he would appreciate it," I said. "He doesn't like you at all, Lenny, but thank your stars he likes the way you play the drums. It's the only thing keeping you from ending up like Skip Walker."

I could hear the audience in the saloon, growing rowdy at the delay of the music.

"Skip Walker," Lenny gulped. "Shit! We'd better get going."

He hurriedly wiped away his tears, and faster than he left the building, he went back in, with Dave and me in his wake. On my way back to the bandstand, I noticed that all the students from the academy were lined up in the hall. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought they needed to use the rest room, but the word was , that E.G. Mine was making out with Dominique the Cyclops and human nature being what it is, they had to see for themselves.

The rest of the band had tuned up, and Miss Adelaide stood up at the bandstand as Lenny and I took our places.

"Hey, everybody," she called out in her loudest voice, "Shut up and listen!" She got their attention.

"The White Cat Saloon is proud to play host to the best band on the planet, so give these players a White Cat welcome. It's the sensational Midvalley Six!"

The saloon rang to the rafters with raucous cheers, whistles and applause.

"Oh, fuck," groaned Lenny, "We may all be dead by tomorrow so we may as well play the shit out of the music tonight."

"That's why we're here," yelled Sonny.

"Let's make some music," crowed Dixie.

"Let's do it," chimed in Toby.

"Ready when you are, Hornfreak," grunted Randy.

"Can you handle `Daredevil', Leather Lips?" Lenny asked me.

"Fuck, yeah!" I said as I took a look at Nick at the table. He was grinning in anticipation and nodded at me. I raised Silvia's mouthpiece to my lips, closed my eyes and turned on the juice.

Before the applause died down, Silvia launched us into musical orbit. I think that that was the best I ever played that song and I had plenty of company. It was sweet having two guitars. The Midvalley Five had become the Midvalley Six. Sonny and Randy really stepped up with a guitar duel that had the audience clapping along in time. Dixie added some great keyboards. Toby had a blast with his rocking bass runs, and Lenny kept the whole thing together. His rhythms were so complex, we were loose and tight at the same time. The song was a musical orgasm that the audience got off on and they just about took the roof off the White Cat with the noise they made for us when we finished the tune.

Quite a few of the patrons were on their feet including Rai-dei and Nick. I felt a flow of warmth through our emotional link when Nick caught my eye. I also felt a moment of disorientation when I felt another flow of warmth and saw Legato eyeing me with a faint smile on his lips.

I looked over at Lenny and he had the smuggest expression on his face as we bowed. Nobody knew how to play an audience like Lenny and he had this one just where he wanted it. He had the song list pretty well worked out, I could tell, and knowing Lenny, we were really going to earn our pay tonight. I was ready and eager to blow off some steam.

Lenny picked some heavy duty rocking tunes that pushed us to the limit, especially after starting with "Daredevil" but no one in the band chickened out when he had us play, "Say `Uncle'", "Over the Top", and "Peak Experience" in quick succession.

We had just finished the last number of the the set to rousing cheers when Chapel the Evergreen and Leonof made their way across the floor to sit at the table with Nick and Legato. A few moments later E.G. Mine swaggered out of the hallway with the look of a conquering hero. Dominique followed a minute later, walked over to Legato's table and sat down demurely as a school girl, a school girl with two livid hickeys on her neck.

When the applause died down, I set Silvia down and stepped from the stage. I shook hands with Leonof and Chapel the Evergreen before sitting down next to Nick. Legato had bought a couple of bottles of Miss Adelaide's best bourbon, and played host, pouring shots for all of us.

He proposed a toast, "Here's to fine music and a banner year for the Academy."

We clinked glasses and I emptied the shot glass with one swallow. My eyes scanned the saloon as I looked

for familiar faces. I noticed the Randall City boys had crowded around E.G. Mine and Zazie's table and wasn't completely surprised when E.G. Mine collected envious high-fives from his classmates. Anyway you sliced it, Dominique was a very attractive woman and to have kissed her at length was a coup.

My eyes went to Chapel the Evergreen. I was curious to see what his reaction to me and Nick would be, now that our affair was public knowledge, but his odd eye implants revealed nothing of his emotional state. I noticed no difference in his attitude towards me, but I could tell Nick was nervous. He was chain smoking again. I knew fairly little about the relationship between the father and son other than what I had observed over the years. Chapel the Evergreen was an emotionally reserved man which must have been a real trial for Nick. Nick's emotions were fairly volatile and I had learned that he thrived in an atmosphere of constant affection.

The odd thing I sensed about Chapel the Evergreen was that he actually loved Nick. He just couldn't show it very well. He couldn't give him a simple compliment without tempering it with criticism.

"Well, Nicholas," he said, "I am pleased that the scores at the weapon range are quite adequate this year. It surprised me that you did as well as you did, considering that so many of the students considered you unfit as an instructor. But you bring it on yourself. You just don't seem to be able to find the right balance. I always told you that your field reports were too skimpy, but I suppose for your first time instructing, it was a pretty fair effort."

"Pretty fair?" said Legato in a languid tone. He addressed the Evergreen, "I am sure we both saw the same printout, but I begin to wonder if you saw the same results that I did? Chapel put in a lot of time and energy in teaching and the weapon range scores reflect it. This has been a record-setting class and the bonus he gets is also going to set a record. I must admit we have never had an instructor who read the fine print in the contract so carefully. Chapel is actually the first instructor ever who managed to max out on bonus."

"However mercenary your motives, Chapel," Legato said to Nick, "Outstanding effort. If you weren't such a first class field agent, we would be tempted to keep you as a permanent instructor."

Rai-dei overheard this speech, and came over to the table. He looked a bit perturbed and I wondered what was on his mind but all he said was, "Your playing has been excellent, Midvalley the Hornfreak. I hope you will make "Cocksure" one of the numbers in the next set, please. It is one of my favorites."

"I will let Lenny know."

"Oh, Rai-dei, so pleased you could make it this evening," Legato drawled. "I'd invite you to sit with us, but there's no room for an extra chair."

I knew better than to question Legato on the remark. It might have been a little tight, but we could have fit another chair in. Legato never said anything without a reason.

"Zazie the Beast looks in need of some mentoring this evening, Rai-dei," noted Legato. "With so much still to be decided tomorrow, he really needs to pull himself together."

"As you command, Master Legato," he said with a bow. With a sidelong look at Nick, Rai-dei walked slowly back to his table.

Lenny walked up to take his seat at the drumset, the signal to the rest of the band that the break was over and the rest of us took no time joining him. We could hardly wait to see what musical surprises the second set would hold. In fact, the second set was better than the first. "Cocksure" was the third tune we played. I looked over at Rai-dei's table to check out his response to his favorite and saw he was nodding his head in time with the music. He clapped vigorously. However upset he might be from Legato's slight, Rai-dei was a fan of our music.

The shot I knocked back on break loosened me up. The whole band had all had more liquor than usual and as the set progressed, we were so loose on one number that went long, that I must confess I actually forgot what tune we were playing. In my defense, I know I wasn't the only one and after a while, it didn't seem to matter so we just improvised the hell out of whatever it was. I found myself rolling my eyes at Dixie and Lenny, Randy, Sonny and Toby grinned at each other and us. Finally we just got into the improvisation and were all as smug as cats in cream by the time we finished together in tune and on the beat. The crowd gave us a generous ovation.

Somehow, it just tickled the hell out of Dixie that we had improvised so slickly and she got a case of the giggles, which spread like contagion through the band. I was laughing so hard, I couldn't put my lips on the mouthpiece to play the next tune, "Half a Double Dollar". Lenny was holding his stomach, doubled over like he was going to die, drumsticks clutched in his hands, tears running down his cheeks. Sonny, Randy, and Toby, legs wobbling and shoulders shaking finally had to put their instruments down, afraid they were going to do some damage to them.

The patrons of the saloon were a little bewildered to see the band cracking up, but quite a few were cackling along with us. Finally Lenny managed to pull himself together and announce with barely contained titters, "The band is going to take a little break now."

"Shake the sillies out and back in five?" Lenny suggested to me and the rest of the band just before he lost it again.

I got back to the table and Nick chuckled, "Have another shot, Midvalley. I never heard what song that was, but it sounded great. Is that one of your new ones?"

"It is now," I said with a laugh.

Leonof and Chapel the Evergreen seemed a little uncomfortable. As heavily as the two relied on planning and organization in the day-to-day operations of the Academy , the very notion of improvisation made them nervous. Legato, however wore a dreamy look.

"The improvisation surprised me It seemed so out of control, yet it was not. I am amazed that six people could have such different ideas about how to play a tune and that it still turned out well."

"Well, I am sure it was very good, Master Legato," said Leonof, the first words I had heard from him this evening, "but as you know, there are still preparations to be made for the demonstrations and contests tomorrow."

"Yes," said the Evergreen with the serious face he usually wore, "many preparations."

"Well then, I'd best let you go," said Legato. "Master Knives appreciates your dedication. I'm sure I don't know how the Academy would run without your talents.

Leonof and the Evergreen said their good-byes and left the saloon. As they left, I saw Caine and Ned Pitts come in. Miss Adelaide had reserved the booth in back for them.

Dominique had been fairly subdued in the presence of the Academy's two elder statesmen, but perked up after they left.

"Thank God those two old fogies are gone. Oh, sorry, Chapel. I forget he's your father, but if it hadn't been for the music, I'd have died of boredom."

Legato chuckled, "You won't hear me agree with that, but you won't hear me disagree either. They mean well."

My neck was a little tense and I shrugged my shoulders and rolled my neck on my shoulders to loosen up the tight muscles and tossed back another shot of bourbon. I wondered why I was so tense and I realized that I was picking up on Nick's feelings through our link. But whether the source of the tension had been his father or Legato, I couldn't be sure. As I turned my head and shoulders, I noticed that the rivalry between Bernie Welch and Zazie had gotten loud and ugly. I could hear them from where I sat and so could Legato.

"How does it feel coming in second-best again, Beast Boy?" Welch was taunting Zazie. "And to another "no-talent" at that."

"You'll find out tomorrow who's second-best," declared Zazie. "Do you think they already awarded the sharpshooter ribbon? Think again. You sound so sure of yourself but I don't see you with the Quick Draw plaque in your hands. I can hardly wait for tomorrow. You'll win over my dead body."

"Over mine, teeny wienie," mocked Welch.

"I should fucking kill you for that," said Zazie.

Legato turned in his chair with a raised eyebrow.

At this point, Rai-dei mercifully interfered. He mumbled something to Zazie who followed Rai-dei to his table and sat down next to him. Whatever he said to Zazie seemed to calm him down. Zazie shot several murderous looks at Bernie Welch who smirked smugly and cheerfully flipped him the bird every time he noticed one.

"Were we ever so competitive as students?" said Legato. It was an interesting question. The four of us sitting at the table had all been students at the same time.

"There wasn't a hell of a lot of competition for the top spots, Legato," scoffed Dominique. Not with you at the academy. Anything in the brains department, you won hands down. The way I recall it, you could have taught the classes. You were always correcting Leonof and The Evergreen on the way they conducted their classes and telling them how they could improve their mission success and those old guys took notes when you talked. Then from the time he was ten until the time he graduated, little Chapel Jr. here won the top awards in the sharp-shooting and quick draw. I did get a little satisfaction out of beating Midvalley here in marksmanship with pistols. I would have gotten more satisfaction if he'd tried a little harder, but he didn't exactly live out on the weapon range like Chapel did."

I just smiled as I felt the shot of bourbon kick in and sighed deeply as my shoulders relaxed.

"Ah, the weapon range," mused Legato. "I'll never forget the sights, smells, and sounds of the weapon range. Even now, the merest whiff of gunpowder, and it takes me back to those exciting days when I learned to handle my pistol for the very first time."

Legato looked at me with his golden eye and I felt a thrill run through me as I re-experienced the moment whole when I sucked him off in the storage shack on the weapon range. I remembered the sunlight painted on the floor boards and the stacked targets, the golden dust motes dancing, and Legato sitting on the burlap sandbags with his pale skin exposed, my mouth on him, his gasps of pleasure, the taste of him. I started to sweat and damn near came. I felt as though I were floating suspended in the flecks of Legato's eye.

"I was competitive," I heard Nick say.

His voice broke the trance. I reached out and put my arm around his shoulder to ground myself.

"I felt the need to prove myself because I was the youngest and the smallest," Nick continued. "I think Zazie feels some of that. But there were other reasons…" his voice trailed off. He was looking at me with concern.

Dominique was watching Legato watching me.

"Are you all right, Midvalley?" Nick asked me.

"That shot hit me pretty hard. I'm not sure why," I said. "I'm feeling a little dizzy."

I shook my head to clear it. At that point, Lenny called us up to start the last set.

Once I strapped on Silvia and started playing, I felt better immediately. Legato was messing with my mind again. I was sure of it. But as Lenny worked down the song list and gave me one hard driving number after another to play, I hadn't time to worry. I was too busy grooving on Silvia and what Dixie's piano was telling me, and the sound of Toby's bouncing bass and Sonny and Randy's twin guitars and Lenny's insane percussive creations. It was music at its best. I played myself out.

When the music was done, and the applause died down, I said my good-byes to the rest of the band. Dave started taking down the sound equipment. Lenny and I made the final arrangements about when and where to meet for the dance. The crowd thinned out as students and teachers left the saloon.

I had another drink with Nick, Legato and Dominique. Rai-dei left after paying his respects to Master Legato and me He didn't have a word for Nick or Dominique, which I thought was a little peculiar. A few minutes later Caine and Pitts, holding hands, sauntered out of the saloon. There was something romantic in the protective concern for Caine's welfare that Pitts demonstrated. Finally Nick and I took our leave of Legato and Dominique and walked out into the moonlit night together.

I walked arm in arm with him through the rough neighborhood. We'd only walked a couple of blocks when a couple of men emerged from the shadows of an alley.

"Looks like we got us a couple of bent boys here to straighten out," said a rough voice.

"Fuckin' faggots," grunted another thick voice. "I'm gonna…"

"You're gonna go night-night," said Nick as he cold-cocked one with the butt of his automatic. As the attacker collapsed, a second later Nick delivered a hard kick in the groin to the other thug who sank to his knees with a high-pitched squeak, then keeled over and was silent.

"Nicely done, partner," I commented and we proceeded on our walk.

"I like the feel of this fabric," said Nick as he slid his hand around my velvet clad back and rested it on my shoulder.

I loved the feeling of his arm around me, but the way that Legato could control my thoughts was preying on my mind.

"Is anything the matter, Midvalley? You're awfully quiet."

"It happened to me again tonight."

"Legato?"

"He influences my thoughts and memories and I can't stop him. It's all been sexual and it's like he wants me to keep it a dirty secret, but the feeling I'm cheating on you by hiding it makes me sick. I want things between us to be out in the open."

"I appreciate your honesty, Midvalley, and what you're telling me just makes me love you more. I told you I'd never doubt you again and I meant it."

The moment of trust moved us both deeply and we shared a long satisfying kiss on the strength of it.

When we got back to the apartments, I invited Nick in.

"It's really late and tomorrow's a big day," he said. " We ought to get some sleep."

"Uh-uh," I shook my head.

"Uh-uh?" he said with a shy smile.

"Uh-uh," I said firmly. I put my lips on his and felt his smile broaden. He unbuttoned my velvet jacket and silk shirt and slid his hands over my naked skin beneath them.

"I love the feel of this fabric," he whispered and my body shivered from his touch.

"If we're not going to sleep, what will we be doing instead, Midvalley," he asked softly as he continued to stroke my skin.

"Storing up memories, Nick," I said as I opened his shirt and slid my arms around his satin skin. "Storing up memories…"