Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Midvalley's Serenade ❯ Return to Mei City ( Chapter 27 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Return to Mei City

All I remembered was a mouth on mine that tasted of sweet milk and chocolate, hands pressing on my chest over my heart, a voice that whispered, "Midvalley," and golden eyes.

Chapel the Evergreen told me later that when he found me he was sure I was dead and he's seen enough corpses to know the difference. He said that Legato arrived in a cloud of dust and pulled me back from the very brink of death. I'd never heard Chapel the Evergreen wax poetic before, so I realized he was crafting the story he'd tell over and over to future classes of academy students and other priests and bishops he knew. God help me if it showed up in the Daily Dish or the Epril Town Crier. I'd never hear the end of it.

The Evergreen was completely in awe of Legato, and come to think of it, who wouldn't be. What it all boiled down to was, I owed the man again. It seemed like every time I found myself way over my head in some kind of trouble, Legato happened along to help me out. It tended to make my stand-offish attitude towards him seem almost ungrateful.

For a man who had a near-death experience, I was in surprisingly good shape. I heard that Legato looked drained after saving my life, but that happens sometimes after a healing episode. It struck me when I had the thought that I suffered from some of the same symptoms, except I hadn't healed anyone.

All I had to show for my brush from death was a small gash on my left temple, a mild headache and a touch of nausea, which passed when I chased a couple of pain killers with a cup of coffee. I pondered my good fortune as I sat in the Academy dining facility. It was mid-afternoon and the place was empty as usual at that hour, but the self-serve line offered sandwiches and a few entrees in steam trays. I wasn't particularly hungry, I had other things on my mind, but at the forefront was the question of how long it would be before I saw Nick again. I was thinking two weeks was a good conservative estimate when he walked through the door.

I was across the floor with my arms flung around him in less than ten seconds. He could have no doubt from the warmth of the hug that I was glad to see him.

His hug for me was, if anything more fervent. I suppose he had already heard the rumor of my "near-death" experience from his father.


"Get a bite to eat and join me?" I suggested.

"Sure thing, Middie. I'm starved."

He came back to the table with a big bowl of chili and noodles and dug in with appetite.

"God, this is good," he said.

As he ate, I looked him over taking in the mop of black hair, the stubble of another careless shave on his chin, his golden skin, a little red from too much sun, his face a little thin. Funny how much I'd missed his face. It was so good to see him. I could see that he was giving me the same kind of scrutiny.

"How come you're not eating, Midvalley? Are you still feeling sick?"

"I was a little, but I'm better now. I could eat," I said and went through the line and brought back a cup of soup and a sandwich.

We ate in silence for a while and then with his appetite dulled, Nick paused and asked, "So how was the tour?"

"It was…" I'd been about to say `great', but realized how hard much of it was.

"It had its highs and lows," I finally said. "The music was great, but we had some break downs and I was sick some."

His hand reached across the table to close over mine. I looked up at him. His eyes were concerned.

"I heard," he said.

"Like the old phrase goes, `The rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated.'"

"Funny, but I'm not laughing, Midvalley."

There was another silence between us that lasted a minute or two. Finally Nick said, "I wished I'd gotten to hear you play a concert. I heard your new song on the satellite. It came at a good time. I started to hear your music played in the lot of the towns I visited."

"I wish you'd been there too. I wish I'd never said I was interested in fewer assignments. But what about you, Nick? How did your assignments go?"

"The assignments," Nick said and let out a harsh sigh and reached instantly for a cigarette and had it lit and in his mouth with a third of it smoked in what seemed an instant. "I wish now that I'd never taken them on. Dominique had it right when she said fucking for money would have given her more pleasure…"

Nick's voice faltered at the end.

"What happened?"

"The usual. People died.," he said exhaling a stream of smoke.

"I saw there were women on the list," I said. "I wondered how it would affect you. They deserved it didn't they?"

"After the first day, I stopped asking myself that question. By the end of the month, I was no better than Mazarov. I feel so dirty."

He sounded more than bitter. There was pain in his voice. He took another deep drag of the cigarette, "I don't know if I'll ever feel clean again."

Another silence fell between us.

Dirty, he said he felt dirty. I felt the same way. Sure, I blamed Legato and E.G. Mine and Zazie the Beast for Dominique's death, and I could downplay my part in it all I wanted, but I still knew what I'd done. I couldn't bring myself to look him in the eyes.

"I signed the order for Dominique's execution," I said.

He must have picked up on the pain in my voice, but made no move to comfort me except to say, "Sorry, I know you were fond of her."

I appreciated his tact. The last thing I wanted was to be bawling like a baby in a place as public as the dining hall. The gossip about me would only get worse if it seemed that my "near-death" experience was accompanied by a nervous breakdown.

He offered me a cigarette and I gladly took it and lit up. We smoked for a while in silence while I racked my mind for a change of subject. Almost everything was too painful to discuss, but finally I had a question.

"I heard that a priest who fit your description took part in a quick draw tournament in Mei City. Was that you?"

"Yeah. It was covered was in the Mei City Times."

"I heard you competed against Vash the Stampede. What was he like?"

"Well, I'd have to say that guy is nothing but trouble, but he's also not what I expected."

"He's not what I expected either."

"You met him, Midvalley?"

"Let's just say I saw him in action at Augusta."

"You were there?"

"On Vista Hill, overlooking the city. I saw the whole thing come crashing down, every building in ruins."

"It's unbelievable that no one got killed."

"I watched him for a long time, but I couldn't figure him out. When he arrived in town, he spent a lot of time, scaring the crap out of people. Lucky they took his threats seriously and evacuated the town. I still don't know why he did what he did. I heard he professes non-violence, but what happened to Augusta, looked like violence to me. There were homes and businesses there, now families are broken up and property destroyed. I passed through the Valley of the Dead on the way to Augusta and I still have nightmares about the place. Augusta was luckier than July, but what's next? September, October, November…?"

Nick looked thoughtful but said nothing for a moment.

"I'd hate to see December in ruins. The orphans and homeless children have been through so much already. The last thing they need is to be homeless again. A few children from Augusta have already shown up at the orphanage, and the place is almost bursting at the seams as it is. It made me sick to see what happened to Augusta."

"You were there?" I asked him.

"A last minute assignment."

"I hate to bring up a sore subject, but you took on extra assignments to pay off a debt. Were you able to do it?"

"I paid off most of it, and I should be able to hold off my creditors for a little while, but I'm still not exactly rolling in double dollars. I put in for vacation, and because things are so up in the air, the request was approved. I figure I can stay off work for a month, maybe more, if I'm extra careful, but that's all I can afford. What I want, Midvalley, what I need… is to spend time with you."

The look he gave me tore at my emotions. I wanted him too, so much it hurt. I said. "Legato put me on a mandatory medical leave of absence for a month. If you want me to be with you, I'm free."

Nick exhaled a cloud of smoke along with a sigh of relief.

"Legato did that? My father told me Legato saved your life today," Nick said.

"I suppose it's true," I said. "I felt like I was dying at the time, but here I am, still very much alive," I said with a wry smile.

"You keep making jokes about it, Midvalley, but I'm still not laughing, I asked you to take care of yourself at the picnic…" He paused and flicked the ash off the end of his cigarette, then inhaled again. He said nothing for a minute and another silence fell between us. He looked around the nearly empty room. I couldn't take my eyes off him.

Finally his eyes met mine and he said, "I wish to God that for once, I could be the one to help you when you need it, but it looks like it's Legato who always comes through for you."

"Nick, you're my partner. You saved my life when I got the concussion and lots of other times. We're a team. You've never let me down."

He gave me a look that was full of want. I had my own wants.

I wanted to touch him, to kiss him, to fuck him. I wanted to feel his body thrusting in mine.

"I want you bad, Nick," I said. I couldn't keep the longing out of my voice.

I had the thought of us pants down right there in the dining hall, fucking.

Nick's hand reached across the table to grip my wrist, "Let's get out of here. Where can we go?"

"Mei City, this afternoon. We'll take the sandsteamer. If we hurry we can catch the 4:05."

"The sandsteamer," Nick said with a gleam in his eye. " I'll take us to the station on Angelina."

"Angelina," I said with a gleam of my own. I remembered the last ride I'd taken with my arms around him.

The thought of getting away from the academy and into each other was so compelling that the teamwork we used to get there was as impressive as any we'd ever done for Knives.

Since neither of us had had time to unpack, our luggage was ready to go. Nick went to get the motorcycle while I stopped in briefly at the admin building to sign the medical leave release form.

He was waiting outside for me on Angelina with his cross punisher and our luggage tied down.

"Don't worry, Midvalley," he said. "I was extra careful with Silvia's case."

It took us under ten minutes to get to the station, only a quarter of an hour to buy the tickets, check our bags and arrange for Angelina's passage. The steamer arrived a little early, and when we got to the compartment we'd booked, we locked the door, pulled the shades and started pulling off each other's clothes. I was careful with the buttons of his black jacket, but the buttons on his shirt had me so frustrated that a couple popped off when I pulled it open.

Oh, fuck," panted Nick, "my other shirt's in the baggage room," he said as he finally got mine unbuttoned, laid my chest bare and latched his lips on a nipple and started to suck it. I lay back gasping at the sensation, my body craving intimacy, the fullness of him. But more than anything else right now was to reacquaint myself with all of him. Somehow, we shed the rest of our clothes.

My mind was empty of words and thought. Sensation was the only language I knew as I squeezed his buttocks, tasted him with my tongue, smelled the oils of his skin, ran my fingers through his hair. Tasting touching feeling smelling looking at him, I was so hungry for him. As the passion between us deepened, our touching grew more abandoned and fingers probed and caressed while our tongues kissed, licked, lapped and tasted everything and everywhere.

Finally he nudged me down onto a cushioned seat and knelt between my legs. His lips slid intimately over the tender skin of my cock, then the hot liquid velvet of his mouth covered it. As if he had all the time in the world, he teased and stroked and sucked me until the intensity of the sensations he aroused sent me over the edge and I spurted my seed into his eager mouth. He lifted his face to mine to kiss me then and my salt taste swam on our tongues.

With his dark eyes full of hunger for me, Nick pulled out the other seat in the compartment that converted to a bed, drew me to him and eased me down on the mattress. He reached into his jacket pocket, pulled out the bottle of sun cream oil that I recognized from months ago.

"A souvenir I carry" he whispered as he oiled his prick, spread my legs and pierced me. I groaned from the sweet pain of it. He filled me full, rode me hard and I couldn't get enough of him. I pulled as close to him as I could, drinking in the sight of him, his teeth clenched and eyes closed in concentration. His naked desire for me only made me thirstier for him, and my cock grew hard again as he plunged and thrusted.

"Nicholas," I moaned as my pleasure grew. He opened his eyes and saw my erection, the glans penis, dripping with precum. He slowed the pace of his motion to stroke me there. More and more fluid began to leak. I could feel his fingers get slick as he touched me and rubbed me until my throbbing cock ached for release again. I was closer and closer, my excitement at fever pitch, my feelings intense. With his frictioning fist pumping me, and my ass so full of him, I spasmed hard and the white spray of come spurted up on my chest and my sphincter clamped his erection.

"Ah, Midvalley… My name was half growl, half gasp in his throat as he climaxed with one last intense push into me. After the last of his sperm drained into me, he pulled out and lay between my legs, his chest sliding on the semen on my stomach. He placed his head sideways his ear over my heart and listened while the frantic tumult of its beating calmed. I caressed the calves of his leg with the soles of my feet and in a minute or so in the aftermath of the act, with deep sighs, we separated. We shifted our bodies slowly, resettled more comfortably and nested close and boneless as pups in a litter. I fell asleep with my last sensation the feel of a sheet sliding over our bodies as he covered us.

The rest did us both good and when we woke up a few hours later, we showered and shaved in the small

cubicle set aside for that purpose. The quarters in the shower were tight and the hot water a sensual delight.

It was a shame there was so little of it, but we both of us managed to get clean and clean-shaven. It was

irresistible rubbing up against him. Soon we were both hot and bothered again. I took advantage of the sun

cream bottle this time and ended up humping him up against the door of our compartment.

I was urgent in my need and pounded into him hard. He took the soft skin of my shoulder between his teeth, bit down tenderly and sucked. The action was so erotic, my passion flamed into white heat and I lunged into him frantically. Each fevered thrust shoved his buttocks against the door and it must have sounded like a fight going on. There was a knock on the door and a man's voice asked, "Is everything all right in there?" I paused mid-stroke just long enough to choke out, "Everything's fine."

Nick and I smothered snorts and sniggers and took the action to the bed tumbling onto it still locked together, but the mirth that shook us was an unexpected bonus that added to our momentum. I never laughed so hard when I climaxed before.

We got in the silliest mood after that and ending up switching clothes. I wore his priest suit and the white shirt with the missing buttons and he wore the burgundy double breasted suit with my pink silk shirt.

I played Nick's part, fished two cigarettes from the inside pocket of the jacket I wore, lit us both cigarettes and handed him one as I admired his looks

"Damn," I said. "I swear that suit looks twice as good on you as it does on me."

"I don't know," murmured Nick, "you make one hell of a sexy priest."

Things got quiet after that and we stood together embracing in close comfortable communion, my cheek rubbing tenderly against his.

"I missed you, Midvalley," he whispered.

I answered softly, "I missed you too, Nick."

In the corridor outside the compartment, I heard the conductor call out, "Next stop, Mei City. Ten minutes to Mei City."

When the steamer pulled into the depot, we got off, I collected the luggage while Nick reclaimed Angelina and walked the motorcycle across the crowded platform. The Cross Punisher, inset behind the pillion seat in a specially designed notch, drew a lot of curious stares. Out on the street, Nick strapped our luggage on the motorcycle , mounted and revved the engine. I straddled the seat behind him, circled his waist with my arms and he took us home.

When we got there, I opened the door, turned on the lights and he stepped in after me.

"Nice, Midvalley," he said after he took a look around. He walked past me and propped the Cross Punisher against the wall in just the corner I thought he'd choose for it when I picked out the house.

"Come and see the rest of it," I said. In here's the parlor, but I just use it for playing Silvia…and there's a bedroom for a guest or if you get sick of me and want a room to yourself."

"As if I'd let you out of my sight again after missing you so much."

"Well, then, in here is the master bedroom."

Nick gave a low whistle when he saw the king-size bed.

"That's one hell of a playing field," he said.

"I think we'll find a use for the space," I said with a chuckle.

"The bathroom is through that door," I continued.

"Tub and a shower," Nick commented as he peeked into the room. "You think of everything."

"I'm famous for planning," I said deadpan.

"That you are," he agreed as he followed me into the kitchen.

There was a note on the table in Lenny's handwriting.

Hey, Hornfreak!

Welcome back. Hot Lips wired me that you were headed this way with Chapel in tow. He said you might be feeling a little low, so we stocked your cooler and pantry. Don't even think of leaving the house for a few days. Dave and I wouldn't.

Catch up on old times with Chapel, but just remember if you're not at the May Queen Club by 7PM on Friday night, we're sending out a posse to take you into custody.

Lenny

I looked in the cooler with Nick peering over my shoulder. Eggs, cream, bacon, cheese, tomatoes, peppers and onions. The pantry was stocked with coffee, bread, donuts and a carton of cigarettes. Lenny had thought of just about everything.

"It's a nice place, Midvalley," he said, "The food looks good, but that's not what I'm hungry for."

He took me by the wrist and led me back to the master bedroom.

"It's kind of nice that you popped the buttons off my shirt, Middie," he said softly, "because it just makes it that much easier to…"

He never finished the sentence, but moved his hands over my skin in a slow sensuous slide that made my heart miss a beat. It was so different from the hard hot sex we'd had on the steamer. Now he was tender with me, and my heart was melting. I began to touch him with the same subtle rousing caresses. I wanted to take all the time in the world. I wanted to make this last and last.

We were patient and loving now. With my eyes closed, my fingers explored his face, the high forehead, the bow of his lips. My tongue found the hollow of his ear and brushed it with the lightest of kisses. He moaned when my tongue found his lips, parted them and came to rest on his . He sucked it so tenderly, my groin thrilled.

I slowly unfastened the buttons of the pink shirt he wore and eased it off his shoulders along with my burgundy jacket. As handsome as he looked in my jacket, he looked even better out of it. I unbuttoned the pants and slid them down past his thighs. They fell to the floor, and then he was naked. He finished undressing me and slid the black pants down around my ankles. I stepped out of them and leaned forward until the sensitive skin of our cocks brushed. My hands cupped his buttocks and his cupped mine and we swayed together our bodies touching with tantalizing friction.

I tried a few times to open my empathic link. I was surprised when I couldn't. But then, I reflected, it was no great loss, as I kissed him and he kissed me back. I was so attuned to him now, that I could feel what he was feeling without it. It was a relief to be together again, but our deeper emotions were coming out now and we were neither of us laughing with joy.

The past months of separation had left me with what felt like a hole in my heart, but as we stroked and touched each other so carefully, I felt the hardness in my heart, where I had walled off my guilt over the death of Dominique, soften. I felt myself suddenly on the verge of tears.

Nick whispered, "I love you, Midvalley," and my eyes brimmed over.

I couldn't speak at first, but hugged him tightly, and finally managed to control my voice enough to say, "I love you, too." Though his eyes were closed, the lids were wet and a teardrop trailed down his cheek. I kissed it away.

We were both hurting and we both knew why, so we just held on tight to each other giving what comfort we could until the emotional storm quieted.

It was the job. It was the fucking job. I couldn't lie to myself anymore about the real reason I had wanted fewer jobs. I was fed up with the killing and death. I hated the job, and when I thought about how impossible my situation was, it was all I could do to hold back a river of tears

I was married to the job until death do us part. No one ever quit the Gung-Ho guns and lived to tell about it.

I knew Nick felt the same way I did, but what could we say? What would happen if I put words to the way that I felt?

I wanted to run away with Nick, drop out of sight like Vash the Stampede had, and just live with my lover, happily ever after. But who could drop out of Legato's sight? Vash the Stampede? Maybe. But Midvalley the Hornfreak? Never. The link with Legato was too strong and of such long duration, he'd find me for sure if he looked. Whatever feelings the man might have for me, loyal as he was to Master Knives, Legato would surely put them aside and kill me. And if he should learn of Nick's feelings through me…I was just glad the empathic link was closed off. I hated to think of the retribution if Legato ever stumbled onto the thoughts I just had.

My loyalty to Knives had never been shaken, but the death of Dominique had raised a question in my mind. I still might be able to wall off a part of my feelings from Legato, but I didn't want to lie to myself. . And the question that I asked myself and tortured me the most was what would I have done if it had been Nick who failed against Vash the Stampede?

The darkness of our feelings licked at us both and we ended up making love with a ferocity that seemed to have as much pain as pleasure in it. I was shaky emotionally after. I closed my eyes and lay beside him. There was no need for explanations. He took my hand in his, squeezed it, and held it. He was just as quiet as I was. One word would have unmanned us both. Finally I gained control of my emotions and sat up. Nick lit up a couple of cigarettes and we smoked in companionable silence for a while. The familiarity of the ritual restored my equilibrium and I felt a sense of peace steal over me.

We slept all night and I woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs frying. Nick brought me breakfast in bed wearing nothing but a smile. The pain of the previous night had eased and the new day brought new hope to us.

We ended up recreating Nick's first lessons in love from the pillow fight to the `breakfast'. The bacon grease and eggs that slipped off our bodies made a shambles of the bed sheets, but we both agreed afterwards that it was worth it. Finally we were way past fucked out, every last drop of backed-up come drained dry and so we cleaned up, got dressed and went out on the town.

My first order of business was to buy a new set of sheets, but with that taken care of in short order, we strolled around town, taking in the sights. We walked a long time, content to be shoulder to shoulder, side by side. Nick made sure I put sun cream on my face so I wouldn't burn and gave me a pair of dark glasses for my eyes. I always forget.

He took me to a small restaurant for lunch and introduced me to the owners and their son, Neal, who reminded me a lot of myself at the same age. Lots of people seemed to recognize my partner and some of the glances he got looked friendly, others looked frightened.

The lunch was simple but delicious, one of my favorites, udon soup with smoked salmon and chopped scallions. We left the restaurant and when Nick walked out the door he was attacked by a group of five energetic boys who wrestled him down to the ground.

"Ha, ha, Mr. Priestman," mocked Neal. "Just try to get out of the new super wrestling holds we invented."

I had to laugh when I saw my friend rolling in the dust of the street, pretending he was no match for the boys.

"Help me out here, Midvalley," he said with a look of comic exasperation.

"Sorry, Mr. Priestman," I said, "Can't trash my suit."

"Fine friend you are," he taunted me.

"I've got faith in you, Chapel," I said.

Nick stood up with five boys hanging on his arms and legs.

"What do I have to do to get free?" he asked.

"That's more like it," said Neal.

"We want to see you shoot a coin out of the air."

"Yeah!"

"That would be cool."

"Yeah! Cool!"

I ended up doing the honors for Nick who pulled out his automatic. I took five c-cent coins and flung them high in the air. I heard five gunshots and five pings. People peered timidly out of shop windows, concerned at the commotion. No one came to investigate.

The boys scrambled to find the coins. Neal found one first and held it up for me to see. It bore the imprint of a bullet mark. Neal seemed disappointed.

" I thought there would be a bullet hole in it. I bet Mr. Vash could have made a hole in it."

"You're probably right, Neal," said Nick, "but that's the best I can do."

"Oh, that's okay then. Thanks a lot, Mr. Priestman."

Nick dusted himself off and we walked up the street to the May Queen Club to check out the action.

Fleming, the owner of the place was there. I introduced him to Nick. Fleming recognized him at once as the winner of the Quick Draw held a month ago.

He bought us both a drink and stayed to chat.

"I hear you've bought some real estate and live here now, Mr. Midvalley."

"Mei City has just the right mix of night life and culture, in my opinion, and some areas are relatively crime-free," I said.

"I wasn't happy with the last mayor, and the new one doesn't seem much better. I wish the downtown area was crime-free," said Fleming, "but the criminal element is attracted to night clubs, always hoping to get a big payoff with a robbery. The gambling revenues can be pretty substantial. The security here at the May Queen is top-notch, so we haven't been bothered. But three other saloons have been robbed in the past two weeks. I pay my bouncers very well."

Bouncers. I didn't like the subject. The only two bouncers I had known personally were Bill McFarlane who'd murdered my mother and high-spirited Jake Berkis. Both dead. I fell into reverie.

Nick and Fleming must have kept the conversational ball rolling. I heard the name Vash the Stampede and snapped back to attention.

"…I guess when you consider what happened in Augusta, we were lucky he took it easy on us. I was surprised that you did more damage at the Quick Draw tournament than he did, Mr. Wolfwood, or should I call you Father?"

"Wolfwood is fine," said Nick with a shrug.

"Mr. Fleming," one of the bartenders called, " the brandy shipment just arrived."

"I have to go but nice meeting you, Mr. Wolfwood and it's always a pleasure seeing you, Mr. Midvalley. The new mini-album has so much great music on it, I can hardly wait to hear you play again," he said as he moved away.

"He seems like a decent sort," said Nick.

"Well, he enjoys good music, keeps the piano tuned and pays me good money for playing the sax. I call that decent. Come to think of it. I haven't played Silvia for a while. I really ought to break in a couple of new reeds for the performances this weekend.

"Let's go home then," Nick suggested.

When we got back, I worked on Silvia and Nick worked on the Cross Punisher. He cleaned and oiled every gun in the caddy, broke down the machine gun, reamed the barrel with a lubed bore patch, checked the wiring on the rocket launcher and oiled the shotgun pump. It took him a couple of hours to do it all.

I wasn't watching him the whole time. I was busy with Silvia, checking for leaks in the valves, tightening the screws, and adjusting the pitch. Satisfied finally, I polished her lovingly to a high sheen. Then I put in a reed I had primed, sat down on the easy chair in the parlor, closed my eyes and began to play her softly.

One good note led to another and I lost track of time following the musical trail. I felt at peace when we finally went to bed, but my sleep was troubled. Nick too, tossed and turned and finally we ending up fucking to keep the dreams that haunted us at bay and fell asleep again and went dreamless.

The rest of the week had its highs and lows, but gradually we were able to put the stress of the past months aside. Playing Silvia was always a sure cure for the blues but spending time with Nick went that one better.

Our easy companionship restored good humor. When we made love Friday morning, my emotional link to Nick opened again. Legato was apparently out of range. My healing ability was still intact and I was able to give Nick the benefit. When I found myself humming afterwards and saw the smile on Nick's face finally reach his eyes, I realized that I was happy again and marveled again at my good fortune. We neither of us had felt so happy since the night of the picnic.

We were excited to be going to the night club and put a little effort into getting duded up. I wore a chartreuse colored suit with a yellow silk shirt open at the throat with a matching silk handkerchief tucked into the breast pocket. Despite his compliment to me on the steamer, no one looked better in a basic black suit than Nick. A week of good meals had put flesh on his strong but slender frame. I slipped my arm around his shoulder affectionately. He'd been staring into space, but looked at me with a question in his eyes.

"What?" he asked.

"Nothing," I smiled.

"God, you look great tonight," he said.

"So do you."

"Let's go. We can have a drink and you can tune up and rehearse a little. I know how much you like to warm up before playing."

Nick tucked an automatic into the holster he wore under his jacket and we walked to the club. A half block away, an hour and a half before the show was to start there were fans lined up outside, waiting to be seated. I suddenly felt reluctant to deal with them, so scooted into an alley and approached the club from the back. I found Hot Lips McCoy sitting on the back stairs of the place, sipping on a bottle of beer. He stood up when he saw me, "Hey, Freak, you look spiffy in that suit."

"You don't look bad yourself, Hot Lips."

He wore a black suit with a matching bowler hat and the trademark red bandanna knotted around his throat.

"Got to make an effort for the fans," he said.

"I don't believe I've met your friend," Nick said to me.

"And here I was thinking you two already knew each other," I said with a shake of my head at my own absent-mindedness.

"You're `Chapel' aren't you?" said McCoy.

"And you must be the `poet of the trumpet', Kenny McCoy. I read the album liner notes," said Nick with a grin and extended his hand to Hot Lips who gave his own. "Pleased to meet you."

"Likewise," said McCoy. "I finally get to meet Midvalley's muse."

Nick gave him sharp look.

" No offense," said Hot Lips. "That's what Dixie's been calling you. She's missed you a lot when we were out on tour, kept saying, `I wish Chapel were here.'"

"What's going on in there?" I asked McCoy.

"Dixie and the boys are tuning up, Dave's running sound checks on the mikes, Lenny's trying out a new percussion toy he couldn't resist at Monk's Music-the usual."

"Sounds like fun."

"You always were a glutton for punishment."

"That's crap, Hot Lips, I know you love it just as much as I do."

"Yeah, I'm going back in just a minute. I'll see you inside."

I followed Nick up the stairs through the door then down a corridor and into a small deserted alcove. Nick took my sax case from me, set it down, took me in his arms and kissed me with feeling. When the kiss finally ended, he held me close to him and said, "When I put in for vacation, I told my father I wasn't going to take on anymore extra assignments and that I needed to spend the balance of my apprenticeship with you."

"That's good news, ," I said and gave him a heart-felt hug. As much as I had come to hate my job in the past couple of months, I realized that Nick's absence had intensified my dissatisfaction and felt greatly relieved that we could anticipate another year of close partnership.

We disengaged, grinned and headed back up the hall and into the main room of the May Queen, which was still quiet except for the bar help who were making some last minute adjustments to the tables. I found a seat for Nick at a table reserved for the use of the musicians between sets and their guests and went up to the bandstand with Silvia.

The band descended on me as soon as they saw me. Toby patted me on the back, Sunny pumped my hand and said, "Glad you're back."

"About time you showed up `Player'," said Randy with a grin, "we're tired of covering for your sorry ass."

Jason waved the bow of his fiddle, smiled and said, "Hey, good to see you, Hornfreak."

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around. It was Dixie, who pulled me down to her, claimed a kiss, and said, "We missed you so much."

Lenny gave me a leer and said, "I'd kiss you too, Midvalley, but Chapel'd kick the crap out of me,"

"And I'd help him," said Dave with a friendly smile and a nod of greeting.

The band made me feel welcome and I said, "It's great to be back."

I unpacked Silvia put her strap round my neck, settled my lips on the mouthpiece, fingers on the keys and played a few scales.

"Sounds good," said Sunny. "Silvia's sweet-tempered today."

I smiled. She did sound particularly good.

I was getting excited at the thought of making music.

"Hot Lips said you got a new toy, Lenny, what is it?

He held up a wooden instrument that looked like a fish with raised ridges. He scraped a stick across the body of the instrument in a certain rhythm , varying the length of the stroke. It made a ratcheting, scratchy sound that was exotic and intriguing.

"It's not a toy," said Lenny.

"I'm impressed. I like it."

"Think I'll use it for an intro. By the way, speaking of intros, Fleming wants to bring us on like he did the last time, so he's asked us to wait backstage while he lets the patrons in and sells a few drinks. He said the bouncers would be letting them in right about now."

We filed off the bandstand but I went to sit with Nick for a few minutes. He had ordered a brandy for me. I took a sip and the sweet fire filled my throat.

Nick looked peaceful with a cigarette in one hand and the other curled round a shot glass. I was far from tranquil. I was picking up the emotion from the crowd of patrons filling up the seats and my heart beat faster while my stomach was doing flip-flops. I often feel this way before a big performance. I didn't want a cigarette to calm my nerves. I finished the rest of my brandy, tugged on Nick's sleeve and said, " I'm going to hang with the band for a few and wait for the introduction."

He squeezed my hand in farewell, and I stepped back in the corridor. I found Lenny and Toby and Randy pacing. Dixie was singing under her breath, reviewing lyrics. The rest of the guys were spellbound listening to the details of one of Hot Lips' road trips.

Some fifteen minutes later, we heard Fleming announce `the Midvalley Seven with trumpet legend, Kenny McCoy' and the crowd put their hands together and in a state of nervous excitement we filed up onto the bandstand and took our places.

We got our instruments ready and looked to Lenny for the word.

"You knew it was coming, guys," he said with a shrug and a laugh, "`Daredevil' it is!"

This was `Daredevil' as we never played it before. Having a virtuoso like McCoy gave us twice the depth on the tune. It was supposed to start as a kind of battle of the horns and Hot Lips was first up alone in the key light on the otherwise dark stage. He pushed his limits on trumpet and played a lot of fancy trills and glissandos that showcased his prodigious talent.

We'd practiced the tune together a number of times on tour and when my turn came to join Hot Lips in the spotlight, I didn't hold anything back, but put everything I had into Silvia. She didn't let me down, and together we put out wild riffs and heavenly chains of spiraled notes. Higher and higher and higher her voice soared as if reaching for heaven and then together we held onto the high note.

Lenny and Toby stepped up then, and laid down a torrid rhythm, heavy on bass and the music exploded as the combined talents of the eight of us pushed the limits of the song. We knew we had to open with a kick-ass song and the enthusiastic shrieks and cheers from the crowd when we finished, had us smiling and nodding our heads as we took our bows.

I don't know why we were so `on' that night, but we were. Talented as each of us was, together we pushed ourselves to a whole new level. It didn't seem to matter what we played. Even audience favorites like `Moonsrise' and `Cocksure' that I was quite frankly sick of because I'd played them so often took on a rich depth and luster.

I was a little nervous anticipating the audience reception of my new songs. Every time Dixie sang one, her rich alto gave me goose bumps and sent chills down my spine. I tried to make Silvia sound every bit as good. Jason's talented fingers and bow work made his violin sing beautifully. Sunny, Mr. Emotion on guitar, had me on the verge of tears with the sensitivity he put into his playing and Randy, unselfishly gave Sunny all the support he needed, shadowing the high plucked notes with notes an octave lower.

Our last set featured quite a few ballads, including "Serenade". I happened to glance down at Nick as Dixie sang the chorus. He was blinking back tears.

"Though you may travel far away… yet in my heart you'll stay," sang Dixie.

Fuck traveling far away, I thought. I'd rather be with him. I wouldn't be going on anymore tours, he wouldn't be taking on extra assignments and even if we were still stuck doing the job, at least we'd be together. With Nick at my side, I could get through anything.

We played three encores. `Hell and Damnation', `Shoot `em up', and we finished with `Silvia's Tune', the one song I never get tired of. Hot Lips played the song with a lot of feeling. We were both tight on the number and I got the feeling that the song was special to him too.

I got emotional after I took my lips off the mouthpiece and the audience gave us an ovation. As we stood in the spotlight taking our bows, Hot Lips put an arm round my shoulder. "I've told you before, I'm telling you again, your mother would be proud."

I joined Nick briefly at the table.

"I should be through with the fans in fifteen minutes at most."

"Dream on, Middie," he said with a grin. "I'll be waiting outside in back. I want to get some fresh air and a smoke."

"I'll be done as quick as I can."

"Don't hurry. You played great. We've got all night, the next three weeks on vacation and another year as partners. Sell some more mini albums. You know you want to," he chuckled. "Besides," he added, "you're worth waiting for."

I hated to see him go, but I answered his grin with one of my own and felt better. I squared my shoulders and went to face the fans.

I autographed so many mini-albums my hand got tired, but it wasn't as bad tonight as it had been on tour. It wasn't at all hard to turn away the flirts with a quip and a smile, knowing that Nick was waiting for me in the alley.

Nick had been right. I'd been dreaming thinking I could finish in 15 minutes. I looked across the room at Hot Lips to see how he was faring. He gave me a wave and went back to talking to the attractive blond who was buying an album. She slipped him a note and he pocketed it. Looked like maybe he was taking a little vacation time, too.

In half an hour, I was back at the bandstand, carefully packing Silvia. Hot Lips joined me a few minutes later and packed up his trumpet. He pointed to the Mouth of Gabriel decal on the case, and said, "You know this business I was teaching you…"

I nodded.

"It can wait a while. I heard from those in the know, that Legato approved Wolfwood's request to come off solo assignments and resume the apprentice partnership with you, subject of course to changes of circumstance. If Vash the Stampede is found again, I can guarantee you two will be out on special assignments so fast it will make your head spin. But the trail is dead. If Legato and Hoppered the Gauntlet can't find a trace of him, there's no hope for the rest of us."

"Well, I can't say I don't need the leave of absence," I said. "I get a little sick of the headaches and puking."

"I heard Legato saved your life. Did you use your link again after what I told you about avoiding it?" asked McCoy.

"I guess so," I replied. "I really don't remember. I was starting to wonder if it might be causing the weakness, but I used it this morning and everything seemed fine, so I don't think it's the link."

"Well, just be careful. Maybe there's nothing to worry about any more. I understand that Master Knives' has made great strides with his health," said McCoy.

"Uh, that's good to know ," I said as I fastened the clips on Silvia's case. Why was he bringing that up? I didn't care. Nick was waiting for me. "Well, it's been a pleasure as always, Hot Lips, but I've got to go. I'll see you tomorrow. Same time, same place?"

"Sure, Freak. Tomorrow."

I headed up the hallway to the back door. The rest of the band was long gone. I stepped out into the dark quiet night. I could see the red glowing tip of Nick's cigarette and smiled. I remembered the last time I was out here. How many months had it been since I'd kissed Lenny in this very alley and made Nick jealous enough to act on his desire for me?

I walked down the steps and into the shadows. Nick took Silvia from my hand and gently set down the case. He stubbed out the cigarette and snugged an arm around my waist. It was very dark, but I could hear sounds from the club, the clink of silverware being washed and the rattle of dishes being stacked. The kitchen help at the club was cleaning up before going home for the night.

Nick wanted to tell me something. His hands were gentle as he brushed the hair back that draped the sides of my forehead.

"Midvalley," he whispered.

"What is it?"

He stopped speaking for a moment.

I heard a couple giggling in the alley, then they moved on to the boardwalk in front of the club.

Nick was about to speak again, but seemed to hesitate, as if distracted and I felt his body tense up. I caught the sound of a scurry of steps in the alley. Nick shoved me down to the ground and I heard the bark of four gunshots and the thuds of three bodies falling.

The back door lights of the club went on and Nick stood over me at a strange angle his automatic held loosely in his right hand, "Are you all right, Middie?"

"I'm fine, Nick," I said. He lent his left hand to help me up, but lurched when I put my weight on it.

Fleming came out with three bouncers.

"Everything all right out here?"

"Midvalley?" said Nick in a faint tone.

I turned to him and caught him as he slumped to his knees and sagged forward in my arms, his head sunk on his chest. The automatic slipped from his hand and clattered to the paved walkway. I eased his limp body to the ground, saw my right hand covered in blood, knelt and frantically ripped open his suit jacket. His white shirt was soaked with blood.

"Oh, God, Nick," I gasped.

"My partner's been shot!" I yelled to Fleming. "Where's the hospital?"

Fleming reached for keys in his pocket and put them in the hands of the bouncer.

"Jerry, take the jeep and help him get his friend to the hospital."

"It's only four blocks," he said to reassure me.

Jerry was fast and Fleming quick to help me get Nick in the jeep. I sat with his body cradled in my lap while Jerry peeled out down the alley into the street.

"Oh, God, Nick," I whispered as I clasped his body to me. "Oh, God."