Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Mystic Grey ❯ Volume Three: Chap. Eight: Security ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Security

“There you are,” Vash said. He walked over to Rieko in the chair.

“Why did you run off like that?” he asked. “Are you alright?”

“Yes,” she said. Vash embraced her. Small fragments of memory flared in her head. He's held her like this before. Did he though?

“Why did you run off like that?” Vash asked. Rieko looked up but said nothing. Vash sighed.

“Never mind. Let's get you back, okay?” he said. Vash tried to pull her up, but she grabbed his arm. The outlaw turned his head.

“What's wrong?” he asked. Rieko looked down at her feet.

“Can we stay for a bit?” she asked. Vash gave her an odd look.

“Please?” she asked. He patted her on the head.

“Fine,” Vash said. The girl looked up at him.

“Thank you,” she whispered. Rieko's heart began to flutter. A little smile came across her face.

---------

“Rieko. Rieko. Rieko!”

The little girl turned her head. A hand rested on her shoulder.

“There you are,” he said. “Why do you keep coming back here?” The little girl had a doe-eyed look on her face.

“I don't know,” she said. They turned back to the well. She always came here. No reason. She was just here. He held her by his side. He didn't know why she came to this well every night.

“Does something call to you?” he asked. The little girl shook her head. She looked down the well again.

---------

Vash carried Rieko on his back. He didn't know what to make of her. He's seen her from somewhere before. Can't place where though. Something told him to check her neck. Just a peek on the side of the neck. Vash shook the thought from his head. Why would he think something like that?

He paused as something caught his ear.

“Huh? You say something?” he asked. Rieko had her head on his back. She was already sound asleep. Still, one word escaped from her lips. Or at least he thought it did.

“Papa.”

Vash looked confused. Why would she say something like that? He brushed it off and kept walking.

-One Hour Earlier-

Something about that hair stirred something in her head. Her jaw tightened as one thought sprung into her mind. Rieko said it out loud.

“Papa.”

------------

Meanwhile, he made it to town. He closed his eyes and sniffed the air. She was close. He smirked as he opened his eyes.

“Oh Rieko!” he cooed. “I'm coming for you!” His laughter filled the night.

Little Pieces