Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Mystic Grey ❯ Volume Four: Chap. Ten: Rieko ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rieko

Millie couldn't find anything on Rieko. It was like she never existed.

“That doesn't make any sense,” Meryl said. “Are you sure you typed it in right?”

“Yes,” Millie said. Her partner stared at her.

“How many times did you check?” she asked.

“Several,” Millie said. Meryl frowned as she looked at the screen.

“Who are you?” she asked.

----------

“Vash, Meryl, we need to talk,” the old lady said.

“Who are you?” Meryl asked.

“Please! This is important! We don't have much time! Please let me in!” the old woman pleaded. Vash and Meryl looked at each other.

“Okay…” Vash said at last. Meryl whipped her head around.

“Vash!” she shouted. The old woman bowed her head.

“Thank you so much,” she said. The old woman hurried inside. Meryl closed the door behind them.

----------

Rieko had no records on life. No id, hospital records, criminal records, nothing at all. How was this possible? Not like Rieko could answer.

Despite this, Vash and Meryl felt like they've known the girl from somewhere. They couldn't place where. Vash felt the need to protect the teenage girl. Meryl didn't know how to feel.

She, Vash, and the old woman sat at the table.

“Who are you?” Meryl asked. The old woman took a breath.

“My name is Minerva,” she said. “I have been looking for you.”

“Why? What for?” Meryl asked.

“Can I have something to drink?” Minerva asked.

“Sure,” the insurance woman said. She got up and went to the back. She came back with a bucket of water.

“Here,” Meryl said.

“Thank you,” Minerva said. She took a drink from the ladle. The old woman took a breath.

“Where is Rieko now?” she asked.

“In the back room asleep,” Vash said. “Why?” Minerva set down the ladle. She looked down the hall.

“That girl is your daughter,” she said in a whisper.

“What?!” Meryl and Vash shouted.

“Yes,” Minerva said. The insurance lady tried to struggle with this bombshell.

“W-W-What? You can't be serious!” she shouted. Minerva stared at her with a stern look on her face. Vash still had a dumb look on his face.

“Uh… How?” he asked. Minerva waited for them to calm down.

“You don't remember her,” she said at last. Vash and Meryl sat quietly.

“What's going on?” Meryl asked. “How did this happen?”

“It happened six years ago,” Minerva said. “Please listen to me. You are all in danger. You don't have much time. She sounded so desperate. Vash and Meryl looked at each other for a moment. Who was this lady? They had a daughter? What was going on? Meryl put her hand on the table.

“Okay,” she said. “What's going on? Why are you here? How is Rieko our daughter? How do you know us?”

“Why are we in danger?” Vash asked. Minerva took a breath and started talking. What a story she had to tell.

Girl from Nowhere