Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Mystic Grey ❯ Volume Eight: Chap. Twenty-Three: Turning Sour ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Turning Sour

She didn't remember when it turned rotten. She didn't see the signs. How could she? She had only been in the world for six years. You can't blame her. Still, Rieko had no guidance. Maybe then… Maybe then…

It started out with the little things. Small comments.

“When did you get so fat?”

“You shouldn't eat that.”

“Where have you been?”

“Don't talk to this person.”

“Don't talk to that person.”

“Don't take those meds!”

She can't seem to do anything right. When did he get so angry with her? She couldn't figure it out.

Well, angry was a strong word. She couldn't tell what he was thinking. He barely showed any emotion. His words sounded empty. There was no light in his eyes. She never noticed it at first. He did take care about her in his own way. He looked after her. No one came to talk to her. Not even the nurses and doctors. But why was she here?

No records of Rieko exist. His records were lost a long time ago. There was a flood last year. Most of the files were gone. There were back-ups, right? That's how it worked. There's a story behind that too. But you aren't here for that, are you? No, you are not.

Let's get back to poisoned dying love.

He never hit her. He didn't have to do that. He had his own way to keep her in line. She wouldn't see it until too late. For now, she had stars in her eyes.

She would do anything for him.

“Do you know how much I love you?” he asked. Another twisted game. She smiled as she shook her head. He leaned in and kissed her on the lips. Her cheeks turned red. He gave her a curious look.

“Was that your first kiss?” he asked. Rieko slowly nodded.

“Heh,” he said. “Do you want another one?” She slowly nodded.

“Heh,” he said again. He leaned in and gave her another kiss. He found a new button to push. She fell deeper under his control. She just didn't know it. Her world revolved around him. She didn't see it.

But then one incident changed everything.

----------

Rieko awoke in that bed. Her face turned pale. She slowly covered her mouth.

“I remember,” she whispered. “I remember everything.” She trembled as a tear ran down her cheek.

Phase Two