Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Reassurance ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Trigun. Period.

Hey! You! Don't like yaoi?!?! WELL DON'T READ THIS!!!! ^.^

~REASSURANCE ~

The suns glared overhead as the Humanoid Typhoon, The Legendary

Gunslinger, Vash the Stampede sat on the porch of the inn where he had been staying since the incident with Legato. He stared forever straight ahead, barely blinking, eyes forever searching, for what? Not sure.

"Hey there, Mr.Vash! Are you sure you don't wanna go inside, it's getting awfully hot out here and we would hate for you to get heat stroke!" Milly's always-cheerful voice broke his train of thought and he turned to look at her, eyes still holding that not-quite-there look.

"I think I'll be fine right here, thanks Milly." A monotone voice croaked. Not even a hint of a smile touched his face as he spoke these words. Quite unlike Vash.

Actions like this begun to deeply worry the insurance girls. Of course, they would obey his wishes and let him think, though plenty of water and the occasional pudding was brought out before him to eat and drink at his leisure. It pained them to see him this way. Not moving, not blinking, sometimes it even seemed he wasn't breathing.

Well nothing to do but let him sit there and think things out, right?

::Oh, Rem...What have I done? I don't even know who I am anymore. Living by your ideals has always been so hard, but I've managed to live through. But now...Can you ever forgive me? Please say you can...Oh Rem...Brad...Wolfwood...:: His eyes watered upon thinking that last name. He shook the slightest bit, straining to suppress his racking sobs. ::I took another's life...Rem...I did a terrible thing...I'm a bad person now...there *had* to have been another way...REM! Oh, please...I need your guidance...I need...::

"Needle Noggin!"

::what?:: Vash looked up. Gone was the vast desert and continuous line of saloons and stores and in their spot was a stretching endless, beautiful valley of perfect green grass complete with flowers, shrubs, trees and butterflies. Vash saw the butterflies very clearly.

But amidst all this natural beauty, stood someone who, in Vash's was a definition of beauty. Leaning on his large cross-punisher, cigarette in mouth, was the priest Nicholas D. Wolfwood. Vash froze.

"How long have I been gone, Tongari, and you're already falling apart on me!" Wolfwood joked casually, not making an attempt to remove the cigarette from his mouth before starting to talk. He smiled and looked down. "You can't give up now."

Vash rose, the blanket that was covering his lap dropped down to his feet, completely ignored. "How can I keep going, Nick? Did you see what I did?! What I caused?! How can I not give up now? Everything is so..."

Nicholas cut him off. "You stop right now, Vash! You did what was right. That's all there is to it!"

"HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?! I TOOK SOMEONES LIFE!!!"

Nicholas stared at Vash, suprised by his sudden outburst of anger. Staring at each other, Vash took a step forward. "You have no idea, Nick...how hard it's been without you. Without your shoulder to lean on. Everyone I love he will take away from me." Vash looked down.

This time, Nicholas was the one who approached. He put his hand to Vash's soft face, pushing his chin up as to look him in the eyes. "You can still stop him, Tongari."

Vash dissolved into tears, throwing himself at Wolfwood. Wolfwood caught him in his arms and they both promptly collapsed to their knees on the floor. Vash's scarred body wracked with sobs from past and present. Cried for hours upon hours, yet Nicholas continued to hold him, ever closer, the ultimate comfort for both of them.

"Vash...Vash..." Wolfwood whispered, soothing him as best he could.

"Oh Nicholas...I did my best to please her...I tried so long and so hard...I tried to take care of him, I really did! I lived my life by trying to save the butterfly and the spider! I used methods of Love and Peace! But it simply can't be done! Oh Rem...Oh Nicholas...it's impossible! It's pointless...I KILLED A HUMAN BEING! WITH MY FREE WILL! How can I go on?! I don't want to go on..."

With this, Nicholas grabbed Vash's shoulders and jerked him away from him. He pulled him so he was staring straight into his dark blue eyes, still keeping a firm grip on Vash's shoulders and shaking him slightly.

"VASH DON'T SAY THAT! IT'S NOT TRUE! YOU CAN SAVE THEM! YOU'RE

STRONGER THAN YOU THINK!! YOU CAN GO ON, YOU CAN! DO IT FOR THE HUMANS, FOR MERYL! FOR MILLY! FOR REM, GODDAMMIT! And me...Vash...please...do it for me..."

Vash looked into his eyes questioningly, head slightly cocked.

"Vash...you have to keep going...you have to spread the message I was never able to spread. I was too weak. But you..." He paused, not once taking his eyes from Vash's tear-stained face. "...You can LIVE."

They simply stared at one another, then. Each drinking in what was missed about the other. Vash's large, sparkling aqua eyes, Wolfwood's perfect features and each others lips. They embraced. At first, only hugs were exchanged, then the touch of lips to lips. Soft, pink lips, slightly opened, tongue delicately popping in and out of each others

mouths, exploring what was forgotten and what may never be tasted again. The ultimate show of...

"...Love...for love and peace...always...Vash, I love you. Promise me you'll keep going. Promise."

Vash, slightly disappointed that their kiss was ended, nodded and leaned forward again for one last kiss. But Wolfwood stopped him, "Promise me, Vash. I want to hear you say it."

"I love you so much, Nicholas...I promise I will keep going, to continue our quest. I swear. And when we meet again..." That sentence was never intended to be finished for right then, Nicholas leaned forward for one last kiss. Beauty and light seemed to exuberate from their very bodies. The touch of each others hands on each others faces

was enough to make Vash's skin ripple with goosebumps as he cherished his final moment with Wolfwood...THEIR final moment together...a priest and an angel...

The kiss ended just as beautifully as it had started...and as Vash watched Wolfwood stand up to walk away, he felt like crying again, but somehow Nicholas's smile and the lingering taste of his lips on his was the most reassuring thing that there could be.

Wolfwood gathered up his Cross-punisher and lit a new cigarette before he turned to walk away. "Take care Vash the Stampede, my angel of peace...I'll be waiting. Oh before I forget..." He pulled something out of his back pocket and handed it to his outstretched hand. Vash stared in disbelief at the item he was now holding. He looked up at Nicholas for an explanation.

Nick shrugged. "Some chick with long black hair told me to give it to you and to tell you that she'd see you as well...soon enough."

Vash opened his mouth to ask more, but Nicholas D. Wolfwood was disappearing beyond the horizon. Vash watched until he was a tiny speck of shimmering light. Once again he turned his attention back to his hand, when, resting in his fingers was a single red geranium. A sign from Rem. He smiled. ::My man of God, I will keep going...and Rem, I'll see you soon::

Vash awoke from his daydream, hand still outstretched, still thinking the geranium was in his hand, but instead there was a black cat near his hand...

"MAOW!!!"

The demon cat clawed violently at his hand and he withdrew it, looking

out over the horizon...He smiled slightly.

"Yes..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well…that's it. This was the first fanfic I ever wrote…*shrug* heh. I kinda like it…