Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ The Truth Hurts ❯ A Sister left Behind ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hi! This is my first story ever on Mediaminer! Feel the new story power. I decided to place this at Mediaminer before my other account at fanfiction.net mainly because I have so many stories going on at ff.net I can't think straight. I don't want to put another story on that account till I have one of my many stories finished. That is why I'm placing it here. This is an idea I got this past weekend. I don't know why I wrote it and such but I figured a lot of people don't take this stand point in a series. If you go look at my other account at fanfiction.net/~solarsun you realize that I like thinking of different ways to present things. This is not a self insertion fic but instead a fic that gives humanity to one of the most creepiest characters in Trigun: Legato. I do hope you enjoy it.

The Truth Hurts
Prologue
A Sister left Behind


He was a brother of mine...


I don't understand why he died. He always told me that things where going well and that I shouldn't worry so much. But in the end he died. How he died I do not know... people won't tell me exactly. But...but I've got to find out how. My brother with the gold eyes and blue hair shouldn't have died. He was a sweet man..till he met whom he always referred to as his friend in the beginning but toward his death he would not speak of it and did not speak except for once. It was on my birthday where all he said was "Happy Birthday Mika.." The icily detached look I got from him told me that I didn't know him anymore. My own brother was a stranger to me..but more of a stranger to the others whom he spoke nothing to.
His funeral was small and simple. Some of his old friends where there with looks of detachment as well upon their faces..as if they didn't know the man they had once grown up with. I being 9 at the time stared at the blue casket in the back of the church with tears in my eyes. It wasn't far that my only brother had to die, it just wasn't. Turning my head I looked at my sister, who blinked back at me with her blue eyes and her face the same as mine. It was strange really. Though my brother wished me a happy birthday he never mentioned Tani. Tani was bitter about that for the year or so after..till his death that was. My father came walking up beside us looking on as he always did. A sense of wonder and pity was in his eyes. I could tell, I had always been able to read upon peoples emotions just by glancing at their face, even if they tried to hide it.
"..Papa?" I asked grabbing at his brown trench coat he wore. The father I knew as a scientist. He was always involved in his work..actully that's how my brother somehow met this friend nobody spoke of. Glancing down he just rubbed my sister and I's head and walked out the door quietly. I wondered then if my father really loved my brother at all. He seemed so cold about all this, ever since word came from the Sheriff they found his body out in the desert. Walking up slowly my lip began to quiver as I thought about all the times my brother was nice to me..a lot of the time before he met his friend and papa got engrossed in his work, before mama died, before everything happened and we where just a family. Tani grabbed at my hand and pulled me away.
"Papa wants us to go." Tani said lightly as she glanced at the casket. "..Its better to forget about this as well anyway."
"..But he's our brother.." I mumbled wiping a tear from my eye. "..This is like when mama passed."
"..No..mama passed on because she died of cancer..brother here got into something.." Tani stated coldly. "I herd it from papa when he was talking to one of our uncles a few nights ago."
"What do you mean?" I blinked wiping another tear from my eyes.
"Like I know what they where referring to when they stated he got into something deep." Tani shrugged and glanced behind me at the casket. "..Just I figured that they meant something like drugs."
"..Brother would never do that!" I defended clenching my fists and glaring at her.
"Come on Mika.." Tani said to me. "Before they found him he acted really strange. Stranger then he's ever been, speaking of an end to humans and just eating... constantly eating."
"How can you speak of our brother like that!" I shouted glaring at her who "humped" and crossed her arms over her chest leaning back as if to look at me like I had done something wrong.
"..Well maybe you always thought he was great..but last year.."
"Don't you dare talk about last year.." I said remembering the birthday party. "I don't care what you think and how you dislike him for that..He's our brother, wether you like it or not and he loves you even if he didn't wish you a happy birthday."
"..But he wished YOU a happy birthday and actually that's all he spoke the whole family for the whole year so I don't think YOU understand about it."
"Well neither do you!" I said.
"Tani! Mika!" Our fathers voice spoke. Turning my head I saw him at the car waving at us. Sighing I turned and headed toward the car. I had wanted to stay and watch the casket being lowered into the ground but papa said that he had stuff to do and since he was already dead it wouldn't matter that we missed it. With Tani right beside me I walked next to the car and stopped. Looking back I sighed. Some towns folk and his old friends had decided to be the ones to carry him to his grave plot. It just wasn't far...
*Don't look for the truth...* Something shook inside my head. Blinking I franticly glanced about trying to figure out who had just spoke in my head. Tani blinked at me.
"Is there a bee or something?" She asked opening the door to the car.
"...Nooo.." I mumbled sighing. That's when I spotted him...He was in the small crowd, stood higher then most of them. The man had blonde hair and some sort a weird outfit. Orange, round sunglasses adorned his face as if to block other people out but I knew once seeing him that it had to be him who had said that somehow.
*And why not..* I thought back, trying to respond to his statement as I stood there, my eyes locked on his glasses.
*..Because the truth will only hurt more..* Was what I got back from the man. I was going to open my mouth and shout something at the man but my sister grabbed at my sleeve and yanked at it. Turning my head I noticed she was already in the car and they were waiting for me. Sighing I grabbed at the door handle and climbed up into it shutting the door behind me. My head turned to see the man still there but now talking with someone with pale blonde hair this time, who stood his same height from the crowd and even had an outfit similar to his. Maybe they where brothers of some sort. Frowning I leaned my chin on my wrist and looked ahead.
*So what?* Was what I sent back to him as we drove away. I didn't even look back as we pulled from the church and away from the man who had told me to stay away.

He was only about 25 at the time. His name meant "One who stands with Mountains**" but the mountains around him must have crumbled. Even to this day that haunts me. Tani doesn't seem to care about it to much now. Father tells me not to speak of it when I bring it up around his birthday or the anniversary of when he was buried. So its always been me who has gone to his grave and kept it up for the past 16 years. Bending down my silver blonde hair falls forward as I trace the letters of his name one more time as I stand up glancing down.
"I don't know if I'll be able to return here again next year.." I speak to the stone as if my brother could hear me. A part of me wishes my brother could. "I've decided to find out about you and how you died. I've waited to long on this anyway. Tani thinks I'm stupid when I talk about you and Father will never hear of it." Turning I sigh. "So I hope at least I have your permission about this." Bending down I place a flower upon his grave. Memories fill my mind as I inhale trying to log the memory into my brain as I open my eyes and look down, tracing the words that made up his name.
"..Goodbye for now my dear brother..


Legato.."

******************************************** ******************

**First of all I don't know if his name means "One who stands with Mountians". I made that up.

I figured it would be a title,even when he was creepy. Don't worry too. I said this story gave humanity to Legato and it will. There are plenty of flash backs Mika can have, maybe even Tani. Legato in the end is just human, like every other creature in trigun besides the plants and animals. Of course he's enhanced by Knives but he still is human. I might even go into the past lives of some of the other gun ho guns. I haven't decided on that just yet. Please review before you go and as always thanks for taking the time to read one of my stories.