Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction ❯ At the Base of Shall N'Ak ❯ Ris'vi he'u ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

When Kurogane awoke, he kept his body still, his eyes shut, and his senses open wide. Everything about where he was was wrong. He was waking up, though he couldn't remember going to sleep. His body ached as though he had been thrown through a wall, but he couldn't remember fighting.
 
The surface beneath him was cold and hard, the air only slightly warmer. He was indoors, though he couldn't remember landing there. In fact, he was sure he remembered landing outside. The vision of a blue light, and then feeling as though he had been struck by lightning, flashed across his mind. He must have been shot with something, and then dumped in a cell.
 
His head was pounding, which was making it hard to hear anything. The air was rank, but he could smell the distinct scent of soldier. He sifted through the various smells around him until he came across the youthful musk of the kid, and the pure, breezy scent of the mage. One was missing. The flowery scent of the princess was gone. His eyes shot open and he immediately sat up…which was a mistake.
“Ah!”
 
His eyes squeezed shut again and he grabbed his head.
 
“Kuro-sama should be more careful when he wakes up.”
 
“Shut up. Where the hell's the princess?”
 
“Some soldiers came for her. I assume she is being interrogated, but you would know better than I.”
 
“Why the hells would I know?”
 
“Because they took you first, Kuropii. Don't you remember?”
 
“No.”
 
He slowly opened his eyes and looked around. Their cell was nothing more than a concrete hole in the wall, with iron bars to keep them in. Two guards were stationed on either side of their cell door, though they had their backs against the wall opposite the cell. Two more were stationed at the door at end of the hallway. All four held weapons in their hands. Kurogane was sure the scene was even worse outside.
 
“That what they shot us with?”
 
Fay looked, “Well…that's what they shot you with, yes.”
 
Kurogane turned his head to look at him. The mage smiled sheepishly back.
 
“When we landed, they shot you and Syaoran-san. Then they made Sakura-chan and I carry you back here. We were both very tired, Kuro-pu. It was a long walk, and you both are very heavy!”
 
“Shut up.”
 
Kurogane didn't get a chance to continue, as he was interrupted by grunting behind him. He turned to see Syaoran groaning as he sat up, “What happened?”
 
“You got shot.”
 
“What?!”
 
“Don't worry, Syaoran-san. It was just an energy blast. You're perfectly fine now.”
 
“Where are we,” he asked, looking around.
 
“Hyuu! I wonder…”
 
“Ah! Where's Sakura-hime?!”
 
“We're not sure. We think she's being interrogated.”
 
“Interrogated? Is she alright?”
 
Fay stood up and moved to stand by Syaoran. Putting a hand on his shoulder he said, “I'm sure she's fine, Syaoran-san, but you have to make sure that you are alright so that you can smile for her when she returns.”
 
Syaoran relaxed and nodded.
 
“Besides Sakura-chan, Mokona is also missing. She must not be far though, as we can still understand each other. He made his way over and stood against the bars, straining to see as much as he could.
 
“Excuse me, Soldier-sama. Could you tell me where our smaller friend has been taken?
 
The soldier glared at him, but did not answer.
 
“Hyuu! His face is almost as scary as yours, Kuro-rin!”
 
“Shut up, Mage,” he said angrily, although he did not yell it.
 
Fay's eye lingered in confusion for half a second before he continued, “Pu, you're no fun, Kuro-wan.”
 
Kurogane clenched his fists and growled.
 
“Wai! So scary! Ne, Soldier-sama, she's small and white and has long rabbit ears. Have you seen her?”
 
Again, no answer.
 
“Hmm…maybe he speaks a language Mokona can't translate. What do you think, Kuro-myuu?
 
No answer.
 
“Puu, no one will talk to me!” He turned back toward the soldiers, and cupped his hands close together so that it looked as though he were holding a ball of air, “She's small and…” he placed the bottoms of his thumbs on either side of his head and held his palms out, “has long bunny ears.” When they didn't answer, he whined a little and continued trying with a different subject, “Are we all going to be interrogated? Is someone going to tell us why we're here when we go? What if one of us has to go to the bathroom? Do you two get to guard us all day? When-”
 
He didn't get a chance to finish his question as a familiar beeping sound rang in the air. Fay was able to hear a loud, “Oi!” from behind him before a stream of blue energy engulfed his body. For a brief instant, it felt like his whole body was on fire, before the world went black and he felt no more.
 
___________________
 
 
Fay groaned, and his eyes slowly fluttered open to see Sakura's face only inches away from his own. He smiled at her, “I'm glad to see that you're okay, Sakura-chan.”
 
“Fay-san, I was so worried. When they brought me back, all of you were unconscious!”
 
Fay furrowed his brows in concerned confusion, but did not let the smile slip from his face, “All of us?”
 
“Yes. You were all just lying there. They threw me in, and then they took Syaoran-kun. I've been so scared all by myself. You are the first to wake up.”
 
Fay slowly turned his head to the side to look for Kurogane. When he saw the unconscious man lying next to him in a crumpled heap, he forced himself to sit up. He had to close his eyes a moment, as the act of sitting up caused his brain to explode against the inside of his skull. When his body regained some semblance of normalcy, he crawled over to the large, dark man lying unceremoniously on the floor.
 
“Kuro-sama?”
 
He received no answer. He reached a finger out and poked the ninja on his cheek, “Kuuuurroooo-miiiiiiinnnn…wakey, wakey.”
 
Kurogane still made no indication that he had heard or felt the mage. Fay sat back with a sigh and surveyed the cell. Sakura hadn't moved from where he left her. He gave her a reassuring smile before his eye returned to the sleeping ninja. He noted that, by the way he was crumpled on the ground, Kurogane had most likely been standing before being shot by the curious energy weapons the soldiers of this world utilized.
 
He also noticed that Kurogane had moved. Before being shot, Fay remembered seeing Kurogane sitting with his back against the far wall. Now he was lying within reaching distance of the bars. Fay let his eye trail up them until he noticed that a couple of the bars were now bent slightly. He stood slowly and reached out a hand to trace his fingers along the damaged area, but jerked his hand back when it came into contact with an invisible barrier. A strange blue light rippled out from where his fingers had been stopped. He reached out again, and this time when his fingers were stopped, he rested his palm against the location. He swept his hand along the area and the blue ripples followed his hand wherever it went.
 
He refocused his eye on the two soldiers standing guard. He didn't recognize the faces, and hoped that these new soldiers would be more talkative than the last, “What is this?”
 
No answer. Fay sighed once again and turned his back toward his companions. Sakura was watching him with curious eyes.
 
“Sakura-chan, did you see them place this barrier?”
 
She glanced at the bars before returning her eyes toward Fay, “No. When they brought me back, they sort of shoved me in and I fell forwards. They must have put it up when I was not looking. I'm sorry, Fay-san.”
 
Fay's smile fell slightly, “No need to be sorry, Sakura-chan. Are you alright?”
 
“Of course! It didn't hurt; I'm alright.”
 
Fay's smile was back as quickly as it had gone, “I'm glad. Well, I wonder how long it will take Kuro-pup to wake up.”
 
“I'm not a damn dog, you stupid mage!”
Fay whipped his head around at the first rumble of Kurogane's deep voice, and though he could not see her face, he knew Sakura was probably blushing, “Kuro-daddy should be careful of his tongue when he is around Sakura-chan.”
 
“The princess is back?”
 
“I'm here, Kurogane-san.”
 
Kurogane grunted and kept his eyes shut as he pushed himself into a sitting position. Just as Fay had done, he took a moment or two to sit completely still before opening his eyes and surveying his surroundings. Fay watched his eyes flit around the cell, and his fake, flashlight-like smile, for a brief moment, became small and soft and real when he realized that Kurogane was checking to make sure the princess was safe and unhurt.
 
He quickly re-schooled his features into one of his disarming smiles before the ninja could notice. Kurogane, however, did not look at Fay. In fact, he changed directions and chose, instead, to look towards the cell bars and beyond. Fay felt his heart clench at the rejection, and had to look away. But as Kurogane spoke, he forced himself to recover.
 
“Where did they take you, princess?”
 
Sakura, who had seen everything, glanced worriedly over at Fay, “I-I don't know. They took me out of here, and then down a lot of different hallways, but they all looked the same. By the time they stopped, I didn't know where I was.”
 
Kurogane grunted. Sakura pulled her knees to her chest and looked down at the ground beside her, “Erm…why was Syaoran-kun unconscious?”
 
“I think that is an excellent question, Sakura-chan, but it needs to be extended to include Kuro-pu as well. Why were you both unconscious?”
 
“I'm sorry, Fay-san, you're right. But you were unconscious too.”
 
“Oh me?” He waved his hand as though to put off the question, “It's nothing. I must have annoyed the guards a little too much. They aren't as kind as Kuro-sweet.”
 
Kurogane flashed Fay an angry look, but the magician's smile never faltered.
 
“What happened when they stopped?”
 
“When they stopped?”
 
“When you got to wherever it was the soldiers took you.”
 
“Oh, erm…Gomen, Kurogane-san, I don't know. I remember them sticking something onto the side of my head that really hurt,” she rubbed her left temple at the memory, “and then I must have fallen asleep, because I don't remember anything else.”
 
Again, Kurogane grunted and turned away. Fay followed his gaze and then jumped as though he had just remembered something.
 
“Kuro-sama, look at this!”
 
Kurogane didn't say anything, but he did turn to look. Fay made sure he had the ninja's attention before he reached out and ran his fingers along the invisible wall. Kurogane narrowed his eyes before he let a smirk grace his features.
 
“Tch. They erected a barrier.”
 
“No,” the smirk fell and Kurogane turned his narrowed glare on Fay, though the mage wasn't looking at him, “there is no magic in it.”
 
“Well it sure as hell isn't a spiritual barrier.”
 
“Hmm…I didn't think so, but I am not as proficient at detecting spiritual energy as Kuro-sama,” he turned and displayed a brilliant smile for Kurogane. “I asked the new soldier-samas what it was, but they were as talkative as the last soldier-samas.”
 
“Tch, idiot.”
 
Fay pouted and would have complained had he not been interrupted. A beeping sound off to the left was followed by the sound of the door rising until open.