Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction ❯ At the Base of Shall N'Ak ❯ Teal'c ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Word Count: 3, 482
Spoiler Alert: IF YOU HAVE NOT READ UP TO THE CELES ARC, PLEASE DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER. EXTREMELY LARGE SPOILERS AHEAD!!
Disclaimer: I looked, and I'm still not five Japanese women with amazing drawing abilities. *sigh*
Note: So, as if it wasn't already before, this chapter officially turns this fic into a walking cliché. So if you hate clichés, prepare to be disappointed. Sorry. I happen to get a warm fuzzy feeling when I read/see/hear clichés, and I needed that when I was first hit with inspiration sooo…hence the fic. Also, Ashura's extremely OOC in this, so be prepared. Some of the information is strait from Tsubasa, but some of it has been changed to fit my needs. PPS, this fic also partly got its start because of some holes I felt Tsubasa had. Ashura voices some of my questions directly in this chapter, so if you spot them and want to talk to me about them, please feel free and encouraged. :D
 
Ok, enough of that. Here we go!
 
____
 
Kurogane couldn't quite understand the weightlessness he felt when the mage pushed himself to his feet. Tears were running down his face as he looked at all the dead bodies around him. He stumbled, trying to get away, but before he could gather himself enough to take more than two steps, orange energy spiraled up from the ground, encircling and trapping him.
 
As the arch of energy peaked and then touched itself, Fay cried out in agony. Kurogane looked all around, trying to find the source of the energy. When he turned his head to the left, he saw a tall man with shoulder-length, black hair and long, flowing robes approaching Fay. He held himself with a kind of royal demeanor, and under a pair of ice-cold, emotionless eyes, his lips were curled into a small smile as though he were watching nothing more than a mischievous child. He made Kurogane sick just to look at him, but, though he could hear the princess and meat bun whimpering beside him, he could not look away.
 
“Hello, Fay.”
 
____
 
His voice was deep, much like Kurogane's. However, it was also smooth and clear. It was almost as though the words simply floated from his lips. When he spoke, Fay, who had fallen to his knees, jerked his head up. The pain on his face was covered over by terror. Kurogane himself could practically feel the mage's heart stop beating.
 
Understanding and something else strange coursed through Kurogane. This was the man Fay was running from. This was the man who could bring such terror to Fay. He didn't know why, but he had never considered that the man from whom Fay ran also had magic powers.
 
“A-ashura-ou.”
 
“I believe I have found the perfect world on which to wait for you, don't you think Fay?”
 
Fay did not answer.
 
“Well, perhaps not perfect. This world is doing quite nicely, but Valeria would have been better. Except, it would have been just as lonely there as it was on Celes, wouldn't it, Fay?”
 
Fay's face immediately hardened and he stood, looking Ashura strait in the eye, “What do you want?”
 
Fay's icy voice sent shivers down Kurogane's spine. Although, it seemed to have an opposite affect on Ashura. At Fay's anger, the king lashed out at him. The magic surrounding him flared and the ninja could just hear Ashura's shout over Fay's anguished cries.
 
“Do not feign innocence Fay D. Fluorite!”
 
“P-please…Ashura-o-ou!”
 
“You betrayed me.”
 
“You killed…everyone.”
 
“Yes, there's something I was wondering about that. I killed every. last. person. on Celes, and you put me to sleep. Why did you not kill me? I know you knew that no magically-induced sleep lasts forever.”
 
“I…couldn't.”
 
“Did you, love me, Fay?”
 
For a moment, cold fury was etched all over Fay's face, but it soon melted into a defeated sadness, “No. I…you saved me.”
 
Ashura laughed, “Saved you? You truly believe that?”
 
“I don't understand.”
 
Neither did Kurogane, but he had a feeling his hatred for Fay's former king was about to reach unmanageable heights.
 
“I'm disappointed in you Fay. I thought you would have figured it out by now. If that place I took you from truly suppressed all magic, how did Fei Wong curse you? For that matter, how did your brother get through the bars of that tower? There was never anything inherently magical about Valeria except for the two of you.”
 
“But I…we couldn't use our powers!”
 
“Idiot Mage! I bound your powers!”
 
Fay flinched at Ashura's initial outburst and Kurogane immediately hated himself for every time he had ever degraded Fay in just such a manner. However, the anger was brought back in both of them as the king continued.
 
“You? But why?”
 
“Why? You're the third most powerful wizard in all the worlds, behind only that dimensional witch and Clow Reed himself! Not even Fei Wong matched your power. Your power is greater than even I thought, it seems. I can tell it's been cut in half, and yet since you have not tried to kill me, it must still be more than mine, even after I killed all the people on two different worlds. I needed a magician Fay; I wanted you.”
 
“What do you mean you killed the people of two worlds?”
 
“I wanted you Fay, but I had two problems. I can't cross dimensions under my own power. Also, it is true that you and your brother had great power. As you grew, that power would have been split between the two of you. So, I came into contact with Fei Wong Reed, and if I agreed to help further his own plans,” he glanced back at Kurogane, “he would help me with mine.”
 
“Ashura-ou, what have you done?”
 
“I simply told them what they needed to hear.”
 
“Am I really a Child of Misfortune? Were we really the right and left hands of the Devil?”
 
“Of course not. I made that up. Then, as I'm sure you remember the bodies raining down upon you, I eventually returned and killed everyone.”
 
“Why didn't my Uncle stop you? Why didn't he kill me? Why did he kill himself?”
 
“I cursed him with madness. Although it was his idea to come after you as though he meant to kill you, and then slaughter himself instead. It is still one of my favorite moments. Of course, then Fei Wong had to come and interrupt your mental breakdown, so I made my way upstairs to pose to your brother the same question Fei Wong asked you. His answer was the same as yours, so, I pushed him through the window. I think you know the rest.”
 
Fay was stunned into silence. He fell to his knees and buried his face in his hands.
 
“Then again, Fay, perhaps you truly are the right hand of the Devil. It is your fault your brother is dead. You found out your King is a destroyer of worlds, and instead of killing him, you put him into a temporary sleep. Then, after everything you'd seen, with everything you knew, you still allowed yourself to bring your misfortune down upon these people. They don't even know what they've gotten themselves into, do they Fay? I'm sure they don't know a thing about you. I don't think that's very fair. And look, two of them are children. I think they have a right to know just what kind of person they've placed their safety into the hands of. I suppose I shall have to be the one to show them.”
 
Fay finally looked back up at his former king, fear and disbelief radiating from his eye. That eye flitted over until it landed on Kurogane. Their eyes stayed with each other for a long moment before the mage returned his attention to Ashura. If he had not been so lost and overwhelmed, he might have been able to see the calm reassurance the ninja had been trying to convey through his eyes. As it was, Fay could only feel even more desperate to keep his past from those he had come to care about, and that he felt had become the first to truly care about him in return.
“Y-you, you can't.”
 
“Ah, but Fay, that's one of the things that makes this world so grand. With these little devices, I can.” He indicated the small object still attached to the side of Fay's head.
 
“Please, Ashura-ou, don't”
 
Again the magic flared and again Fay screamed, “Do not presume to make demands of me!”
 
When the light subsided, Fay had fallen from his knees and curled into himself on the ground. For a moment, the only sound any of them could hear was Fay's labored breathing. With great difficulty, he pushed himself off the ground and faced his former king.
 
“We may be on a different world, but I am still King of Celes, and you are still Celesian. You will do as I wish.”
 
Fay visibly steeled himself, “If you have murdered the people of my world, then I denounce my place in your court and reclaim my title as,” and here he hesitated and cast the briefest of glances in Kurogane's direction before sighing and continuing, “Yuui, son of Ryu and Itara, brother of Fay, nephew to Jeal, once prince and now King of Valeria.”
 
Sakura gasped. Kurogane couldn't believe what he was hearing, or seeing. Fay, the blonde, the same idiot who pranced around, spouted off ridiculous nicknames and all-around acted like a brain-damaged ninny, had all this time been a prince and was now claiming kingship of an entire world. On top of that, he was now standing up to the man he'd been running from for all the time that Kurogane had known him. He was facing his fears, honorably. Gone were the grins; gone was the shivering fear. Kurogane couldn't help the surge of pride and respect he felt for the mage, for the man, for Fay. Except, his name wasn't even Fay anymore, it was Yuui. He had taken his brother's name and somehow that didn't surprise the ninja.
 
“You forget, Fay, it is because I killed all of your people that Valeria should consider itself conquered and under my control. If you truly wish to maintain your declarations, then that would make you the conquered spoils of war.”
 
“It would.”
 
“Your companions as well.”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Knowing this, you still would maintain your declaration?”
 
“I would.”
 
At this, the children looked around nervously, eventually settling their eyes on Kurogane, looking for reassurance. The ninja narrowed his eyes, but did not allow his attention to deviate from the two men before him.
 
“Why would you choose this?
 
For the first time since leaving the cell, a smile returned to Fay's face. It was not a true smile, but it also wasn't quite the lying smile he had always known the mage to have. The smile he wore now was cold and calculating. For a reason he didn't quite understand, this smile, meant to instill doubt and even fear in the heart of the observer, only served to make Kurogane feel more comfortable and confident.
 
“You forget, Ashura-ou, that I worked closer to you than any other advisor or even person in all of Celes. I am not unintelligent.”
 
“Make your point.”
 
“Regardless of my actions here, you had no intentions of allowing my friends to continue on their journey.”
 
It was Ashura's turn to smile, “You know me better than I thought.”
 
Fay nodded, “You do not hold control over me yet. As it is, my friends are my responsibility. As the conquered King of Valeria, I offer you a proposition. In exchange for the immediate and safe departure of my friends,” he paused and glanced warily over his shoulder at the pit behind him, “I will freely give myself to you.”
 
“I do not recognize your claim, Fay, and so your conditions are unacceptable.”
 
The magical aura flared for the third time, and Ashura had to yell to be heard over the cries of pain, “You are nothing more than a pet I have let out of my sight. You are mine, and have been for more years than any of your companions have been alive. You will bend to my will once again, even if I have to force it from you!”
 
Fay forced himself to rise. As he did so, Ashura redoubled his efforts. Fay fell once again, but this time only to his knees. Pain like white fire was coursing through his limbs. His body felt as though it were trying to rip apart at the seams. Yet Fay grit his teeth, planted his knees firmly in the ground and made sure he did not fall any further.
 
“It is because…of you…that everyone in my world believed my brother and I were Children of Misfortune. You killed…our father. Out of shame for having…given birth…to twins, our mother killed herself. Because of you, I was thrown in the sinner's graveyard when I was only five…years old.
 
You…killed everyone on my planet. For 12…years, the only rain or snow I ever saw was the steady…falling of their bodies upon me from…above. You drove my uncle mad. He…bid me to live with my sin…for all…eternity as I…watched him slit his throat. I…watched…as my brother, my twin, fell from the…top of a tower, only to splatter amongst the bodies…of our people…who served…as the ground floor of my…prison. And when Fei…Wong told me that his death was my fault, I…took on that responsibility and…have lived with that guilt even unto this…very…day.
 
All of that happened before my body could age five…years. But then you came, and you took…me away from…that place. Over the years I grew…to…trust…you. Even though you often punished me, I believed…that I deserved it. And just when I began to believe that it might be possible for someone to care about me, I wake up…to find that you had…murdered…everyone in Celes. It…had happened…again, and I…believed it my fault, so I put you in a sleep and I ran. I have wished…that I were dead since I was eight…years old, Ashura-ou. There is nothing you…can do to me that…will force me to bend to your will.”
 
The attack ceased. Kurogane was stunned. He had been wrong, so very wrong. He thought back to his own childhood. His mother had loved him; his father had loved him; the people of Suwa had loved him. Until his 13th year, he had lived a safe, happy life. His only real tragedy in life was the death of his parents. Both of their deaths had been honorable. His mother had died while performing her duties as a miko, and his father had been killed in the heat of battle. It was a warrior's death - exactly the way he hoped to die himself.
 
He had been driven to madness at their deaths, but was rescued soon after by Tomoyo-hime. From then on he had lived well in her palace. He had been granted the honor of training under her best ninjas. She had made sure his parents were honored with proper burials. She had forged and given him an exact copy of his father's sword, and she had demanded nothing in return. He had sworn allegiance to her of his own will.
 
He believed himself strong, the strongest even, because he was tough and good with a sword. He was wrong, and he knew it now. In Nihon, he had been considered ruthless, but if he had lived the life that Fay had, he knew he would have allowed the hatred to consume him until he was just as evil, if not more so, than the men who had driven him to hate in the first place. But Fay…Fay was so selfless. To most, Kurogane may be strong, but Fay was truly the strong one. Next to the mage, the ninja was weak.
 
As that last thought went through his head, Kurogane felt a strange tingling sensation spread throughout his body. Light heat began to pool in his fingers and toes. Slowly it traveled up his limbs and torso until his entire body was alive with a comforting heat. He felt something shift in his head, as though something had just been unlocked. A slight chill ran quickly throughout his body, and suddenly he felt stronger than ever before. Somehow he didn't even have to wonder, he knew Tomoyo-hime's curse had been broken. He could once again kill without consequence, and it felt strange to realize he felt regret at the knowledge that he was now going to have to do just that.
 
He once again returned his attention to Fay and Ashura as the Celesian King broke the silence, “You know, I think you may be right, Fay. However, you are not infallible. Your body and mind may be impenetrable, but what of your heart? I do believe you've become attached to these people. You see, you made a mistake, Fay. You called them `friends' earlier.”
 
“Merely for lack of a better word,” Fay desperately hoped Ashura missed the quick flare of fear in his eye, and would abandon this path.
 
“Perhaps, but wouldn't `traveling companions' have suited you better?”
 
“We are, in fact, allies. I was merely being polite with the term.”
 
“Mmm. Other than your brother, you've never had a friend before, have you Fay?”
 
Fay didn't answer.
 
“Alright, I have changed my mind. I denounce my earlier statement and now recognize your claim to the throne of Valeria. However, I still do not accept your conditions for surrender. I demand complete and total surrender of Valeria, and until such a surrender is forthcoming, I will keep your…allies…as prisoners of war. One by one, I will torture said prisoners until death, or until the King of Valeria surrenders himself, his country and his responsibility for his allies unto me,” Ashura raised his left hand and held it palm-out toward Sakura, “Shall we start with ladies first?”
 
Sakura could only gasp and stare in fear, but she heard the shouts of every one of her companions.
 
“Sakura!”
 
Those Voices were Mokona's and Syaoran-kun's. She silently wished she could close her eyes and when she opened them, she'd be waking up in his arms.
 
“Bastard!”
 
That booming voice could only have been Kurogane-san's.
 
“Do not!”
 
Though Fay's voice was farther away, she could still hear it just as clear as the others'.
 
Ashura turned his head toward Fay, “Do you surrender then?”
 
“I cannot surrender their lives up to you. You would not spare them.”
 
“Then I am afraid I must.”
 
Kurogane, Mokona and Syaoran struggled against their restraints as light built up around Ashura's hand. Fay gathered up his strength and thrust his own arm out just as that light burst forth from Ashura's palm. A barrier formed just in front of not only Sakura, but all four of the so-called “prisoners of war.” Ashura glanced back at Fay, and Kurogane followed his gaze. The mage had his right hand held up, palm out, while his left arm supported it. Swirls of orange vapor still surrounded him, and he was still on his knees, but his vision and every bit of his concentration were focused on that barrier.
 
Ashura practically growled in anger. He raised his right hand and with his finger, began to trace a script in the air that Kurogane thought looked a lot like some of the scribble he had seen Fay write on occasion. When Ashura finished, the words began to glow a brighter orange until he was surrounded by a haze of orange light. Suddenly, that light shrunk back into his body and then, just as suddenly, power burst forth from his palm that was ten times greater than it had just been.
 
Unbidden, Kurogane felt nervousness gain a toe-hold in his heart, and he looked over at Fay. Fay stumbled, and had to catch himself with his left hand. His right lowered, and Kurogane felt the heat as the barrier slightly faltered, but the mage did not let it fall. He grit his teeth and brought it back, this time held with two hands. Kurogane knew he couldn't hold that much longer, and it wasn't long until he saw the blue of his eye begin to fade and look yellow.
 
He turned to Mokona, “Manjuu.”
 
She turned to Kurogane, fear etched all over her face.
 
“When I get free, I want you to give me Souhi.”
 
She gulped and nodded. Satisfied, he turned back toward the mage, “Mage!” As he drug his eye away from the barrier to focus on Kurogane, it was easy to see the mage was fighting a losing battle.
 
Kurogane lifted his hands and rattled the chains for Fay to see. Then he glanced at the barrier, “I want you to let it in.” He knew the mage couldn't hear him, but he hoped he would understand anyway. After a moment, Fay nodded and refocused on the barrier. Kurogane lifted his hands again as small beams of heat streamed in and some of the links on his chains began to glow red.
 
It seemed, however, that this task was too much for Fay. The barrier flickered. Suddenly, Ashura's attack stopped just as the barrier disappeared and Fay fell, face-first, to the ground. Kurogane pulled at his restraints, but apparently they had not been under the heat long enough, as the links would not break. Ashura turned and began walking towards Fay's unmoving figure. Kurogane squirmed and continued to struggle against the chains. Ashura stopped and took a moment to stand and gaze at Fay's body. Eventually, he kneeled down and slowly reached out to grab the mage's shoulder and turn him over. Fay coughed and struggled for air as he landed on his back. His face was so pale and his lips held no color. He looked utterly exhausted, but also determined and angry.
 
He spoke first, and though he couldn't hear what was said, Kurogane knew that the voice had come out ragged and broken. Ashura responded, and as he spoke, he brushed a few errant strands of hair out of Fay's face before running his fingers down until he cupped his cheek in his palm. Kurogane didn't understand the things he was feeling, and he frankly couldn't have cared less. All he knew was that he could barely watch the sight of Ashura's hands on Fay. It was making him about as sick as it looked like Fay felt. The two continued talking until it seemed Fay said something the Celesian King did not like. He abruptly stood, turned and walked away. He made about 20 paces before he stopped and turned again, “You are in no position to make demands of me…Yuui… You have no choice in the matter.”
 
Fay had pushed himself into a sitting position when Ashura walked away, “It seems that I do not.”
____
 
That's the end of chapter 4! Another cliffy, I know, but it really can't be helped. There's just no place to stop that would make sense and resolve all the conflict in that chapter. This fic just wasn't written that way. ^-^
 
Anyway, I hope you liked and will leave me a review. Even if you didn't like, would you please go ahead and leave me a review anyway. Why didn't you like it? I've divided all the chapters out, and after this there are two more to go. Almost finished!