Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction ❯ Sacrifices for a Broken Future ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sacrifices for a Broken Future
 
Summary: What would you do if you could change the future? Would you give up your entire life? What if you didn't have a choice?
Characters: Fai D. Flowright + Kurogane
Rating: T
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure/Angst
Copyright: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle belongs to Clamp. Any other recognizable media belongs to their respective owners.
Crossovers: Card captor Sakura- Clamp; xxxHolic- Clamp
Couples: KuroFai, SyaoSaku
Author's Notes: My updates are going to go slower because of two reasons. One, I have a French OPA coming up soon and it scares me to death. The second reason is that I am writing an original story and until it is done it takes priority. Sorry.
Last Time: After having flown through the prelim race, Fai is faced with his friends, princess look-alikes that might know too much, and keeping his head a float.
“Talking”
`Thinking'
“Talking through Mokona”
 
Chapter 9-
 
Fai took a deep breath as he shot into the air. He let the wind pass through his hair and closed his eyes. He spread his awareness of the world outwards, focusing on the wind currents.
 
Suddenly the world opened up to him, showing him everything from beneath his closed eyelids. The wind flowed and bounced off of everything in the air before reflecting itself back into his mind, creating a near precise image.
 
He angled his firefly just slightly, causing it to hit a different air stream. He shot off like a rocket. He slid his eyes open, fighting to keep the two different images playing in his head straight. He could feel a headache coming. He was going to be so tired after this was all over.
---
Kurogane watched as the blonde took after ahead of everyone and carefully followed the path the blonde had taken. The mage knew what he was doing. Kurogane just wished he'd watch where he was going.
---
Syoaran bit his lip as the announcer's voice echoed over the area. “And it looks like the Tsubane-go and the Kuro-tan-go are in the lead! These new comers certainly know what they're doing!” He had to try his hardest as well. For Sakura.
---
Sakura listened to the announcement and looked forward. “I have to try my hardest too.”
---
Fai sped past the buildings, his second-sight telling him where everything was before his eyes actually saw them. “What amazing steering by the Tsubane-go!”
 
He narrowed his eyes when he noticed the checkpoint. As he approached he redirected the flow of wind. As the ball burst open the wind carefully guided the badge towards him. He grinned and placed it on his sweater. “Perfect.”
 
And the Tsubane-go has a badge! And right behind him is the Kuro-tan-go with a badge of his own!”
 
The blonde glanced back to stare at Kurogane even though he didn't need to. The dark haired man nodded towards him. He smiled distantly, guiding his firefly around another building without actually looking forward.
 
“Idiot Mage! Look where you're going!” Kurogane shouted in irritation. Fai chuckled and turned his head forward as he exited the city. Behind the two of them he heard the experts grabbing their badges. Faster. He had to go faster.
 
Fai narrowed his eyes when he noticed the tube up ahead. “I hate that thing.” He muttered to himself, slowing down as he entered. He frowned when it started to move around him. His powers wouldn't be of any help here.
 
He closed his eyes as he exited and reached out a hand to grab his badge. It landed smoothly in his palm. He looked behind him as Kurogane exited. The others were entering the tube. It had slowed him down too much.
 
He turned his gaze to the front as the tube ripped. The cliffs were coming up. He hated those maybe even more. He raced towards them.
 
He took a deep breath and slowed near completely as the first geyser sprung up. As he listened to the directions Kurogane came up next to him. “Can your power help you?”
 
He snorted. “Barely. A few seconds. Sakura-chan can do it better though.” He bit his lip and closed his eyes. “I'm going to have to do this the hard way.”
 
Kurogane shot him a look. “What do you mean?” He didn't like where this was going.
 
Fai turned his head and smiled, his eyes still closed. “You're probably going to have to carry me after this. I've already got a head ache.”
 
He didn't see the worried look Kurogane gave him as he took off as fast as he dared, eyes still completely closed.
---
Sakura shot out of the tube and looked at the newest broadcasting screen. She gasped in horror. “Syoaran-kun.” She whispered as she stared at the brunette talking to Ryou. She nodded, “Right, my turn.”
 
She sped off into the geysers.
---
Fai turned his head when he noticed someone coming up behind him rapidly. Only one person would dare go that fast in here. “Hello, Sakura-chan!” he shouted.
 
She glanced back at him as she raced past and smiled as well. “Good luck Fai-san!”
 
Fai ducked his head back down, trying to focus. Sighing, he let his connection to the wind go. He slowed down even more, one hand rubbing his temples. He had a bad headache. “I am never doing that again.”
 
He opened his eyes and followed Sakura carefully. This was harder than he'd thought it would be. He turned his head when he heard Kurogane approaching. “Hello, Kuro-chan! Come to join us mere mortals?” he joked.
 
The ninja snorted and glanced over at Fai. He took in the pale skin and pained eyes. “You okay?” he shouted as he dodged around another jet of water.
 
Fai nodded, “Fine. Just a headache. Let's never do this again. That little trick of mine just isn't meant to be used like this!” he shouted.
 
Kurogane rolled his eyes and turned back to the race, speeding ahead. “It looks like the Winged Egg-go and the Kuro-tan-Go have taken the lead with the Tsubane-go just behind them!”
 
Fai took deep, calming breathes as he tried to navigate through the rush of water. He hadn't made it this far last time and had no idea what he was doing. His head really hurt. `Just a little more, Fai!' he encouraged himself. `You're almost done!'
 
Fai's head jerked up when he heard Sakura scream. Blue eyes watched in horror as Kurogane was swallowed by the geyser. Okay, sure. He'd been fine the first time. But Fai had changed things. What if he wasn't fine this time? What if he was really, badly hurt? What if he died?! Fai didn't think he could handle that. “Kurogane!!!”
 
What if he caused Kurogane's death?