Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Daylight ❯ First Day of School ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I really hated first days. What was it about the first day of school that made my heart beat quicker, my hands clammy and my feet clumsy? I had had too many first days of school.
This one was exactly the same as all of the others, aside from the fact that I was on the other side of the world. Being 7 hours ahead of how time was supposed to be, I was pretty exhausted when I tramped into the posh private London day school that I would be attending until graduation. Except, in England people don't even have graduation. They just... leave.
When I arrived at my first class, the teacher looked me up and down. He didn't do it on purpose, I knew, but his hand slide up to his throat, as though that could protect him if I were even slightly thirsty.
“Renesmee Cullen?” He asked, extending his fat pink arm toward me. I could see the worm like veins making bumps in his skin, and I didn't feel at all like sucking the blood that was being pumped through them.
“That's me, Sir.” He nodded, and then blushed, “you don't have to call me sir, it's Mr Porter.” He smiled and gestured for me to sit in a free seat next to a human boy. As I sat down I realised that I hadn't corrected my name to him, and so decided that instead of bothering him again would just have to be known as Renesmee forever. Even though personally I despised the name.
“Hey. I'm Max.” The human boy grinned, and I sort of smiled back. He smelt funny, and he looked too happy to be sitting in a biology class.
I was usually very good at biology, and so began the lesson with ease. The only problem amounted when Max decided that he should try and talk to me.
“So, your name's Renesmee?” He asked, pronouncing it so that it sounded like a different word.
“Yeah, well, it's Nessie really.”
“Nessie.”
“Yeah.” He smiled then again, as though he thought that we were friends. The conversation stopped for a few minutes before he said, “would you like to go out sometime?”
“What?” I asked, surprised. I was amazed that someone could be so forward having known this person for a few minutes!
“Like.. on a date. I don't know. There is this dance in a couple of months and I thought that maybe...”
“Um. Sorry. I've got a boyfriend.” I said, thanking Jacob interanally for being there. Max looked disappointed, and I hoped that this meant he would spread the word around that I was taken.
Just before the bell went, Mr Porter decided that he would torture me. “Renesmee, why don't you come up here, and tell us a little about yourself?” He smiled, and so I got up and stood beside him.
“Hi.” I awkwardly waved, and no one responded.
"Start, by introducing yourself. What's your mother called? Where abouts do you live?" I swallowed, I hadn't planned out what I was supposed to say.
"Well, my family are originally American. I live with my my grandparents, my aunts and uncles, my siblings. And my parents." I stopped, wondering if I had said enough.
"What are your parents names?" Mr Porter asked. Should I just tell him? I thought, luckily I thought quickly, so hopefully no one would notice I had paused.
"My parents names are Bella and Edward." I looked at the teacher again, why was he doing this?
"What do they do for a living? Come on Renesmee, you need to give us a little more! The lesson is almost over!” I scowled at Mr Porter. My parents went to high school!
"My dad's a doctor." I said unthinkingly, I guess Dad would be able to pose as one if need be.
"Do you have any brothers or sisters?" He probed, the class sat, seemingly intrigued in my bizarre life.
"Err.. Yes I do. They are freshmen... I mean, they're in year 10. We all look pretty similar," I said, thinking of Elizabeth and Rory in their junior classes.
"Okay. Has anyone got any questions for Ms Cullen?" Mr Porter asked; a dozen hands were flung in the air. I sighed.
"Wait, your siblings are Elizabeth and Rory?" Jack asked, his small, freckly face scrunched up in confusion. This was when I wished I had dad's skill.
"Yeah." I said, hoping to stop the flood of questions.
"Thought so. You look almost identical." Jack stated, looking at me accusingly. Of course we looked similar. The same, alabaster pale faces, bruise like shadows under our eyes. All amazingly beautiful. How could he not wonder?
"My whole family looks similar." I said, looking at Jack right in the eye. Making him look away, blushing.
"Why did you move from America?" Jess asked me, pouting as the class turned to look at her. It must have been obvious that I didn't want to answer any more questions.
"We didn't like it." I fumbled about in my brain for excuses.
"America is beautiful." Jess argued. I sighed impatiently.
"I am entitled to my own opinion Jess." I said, getting a bit annoyed with her.
"So, thank you Nessie for letting us into your life." Mr Porter murmured, gesturing for me to sit down again.
I took my place at the back of the classroom, thanking God that mum, dad, and everyone else didn't go to the same high school as me.