Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Shooting Star ❯ Gossip ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

CHAPTER 6: Gossip
 
Edward and I sat in Carlisle's office the next morning.
I stared around at the only room in the Cullen house I was not quite comfortable in, although I didn't know why. Edward's arm was place securely around my shoulders. Carlisle finished stowing a folder away in one of his many drawers and turned to face us.
“So, you had some theories?” Edward asked. I looked over at him, but was unable to read his face.
No doubt I was blushing.
Carlisle had turned into something of a father to me, but it was always awkward to discuss these things with a father. Edward seemed perfectly at ease. I remember, though, that he had discussed this with Carlisle once before.
“I spoke to Carlisle about it. He thought maybe if we gave you enough morphine, it wouldn't be so bad.”
Morphine.
That made me laugh, remembering what Jake had said after his “motorcycle” accident, when he had saved Leah Clearwater from a surviving newborn.
“Dr. Fang isn't sure how much pain medication I need so he's going with trial and error.” A pang of pain shot through me at the thought of Jacob as I realized I would probably never see him again. He had disappeared without a trace. Not even Billy knew where he'd gone.
“Bella?” Edward's soft voice spoke in my ear making me jump.
“Sorry, I was zoning out.” Edward smiled impishly at me. I smacked him on the shoulder, though I knew he barely felt it.
“Not like that, you pervert.”
“Anyways,” Carlisle's voice was smooth as always, “I still think what I told you last time. It would be a good idea to give her some morphine so you won't hurt her.” Edward nodded in agreement.
“She promised to stop me if I “start going crazy”” his fingers made little quotation marks in the air. Carlisle chucked.
“That's good.”
“No offence,” I said, annoyed, “but I really don't like it when people talk about me as if I'm not sitting right here.”
“Oh, I'm sorry, Bella,” Carlisle apologized.
“It's okay,” I waved it off, “Just thought I'd let you know.”
“Anyhow,” Carlisle continued, “Bella, the promise that you'll stop Edward if anything goes wrong is crucial. Not in documented history has this ever been attempted, so we won't know exactly what effects it will have on both of you, although I doubt you'll get away without some bruises.” Edward winced beside me, and Carlisle sent an apologetic look at him.
“Yes,” Edward agreed, his hand making circles on my back, “you have to stop me if even the slightest thing goes wrong.”
“I told you, Scout's honor.” Edward grinned and turned to Carlisle.
“Any other theories.” Carlisle hesitated a minute, before clearing his throat, replying in a business-like tone.
“Bella…you might want to be on top.” I looked at Edward and I could see him holding back a smile. I felt my face heat up. “Other than that, I'd just like to re-iterate that you two should proceed with the maximum caution.”
“Not hard to do with Mr. Overprotective, here,” I said, jerking my thumb at Edward. Edward squeezed my hand tighter, not to the point where it hurt, but to be uncomfortable. I glared at him.
“Good,” Carlisle smiled. “So you are going to try tonight then?”
“Yes,” Edward replied quietly, his voice neutral.
“Good luck you two.”
“Thank you Carlisle,” Edward said, his eyes shining with a golden light, “for everything.”
 
Edward ordered Italian food for me for lunch, and I wolfed it down, having no idea how I'd gotten so hungry. It was chicken alfredo…and it was good.
“A bit ravenous today, are we?” Edward asked, watching me eat with interest. I wiped some sauce off my lip.
“Don't know how I got so hungry,” I told him, taking another forkful and shoving it in my mouth. Edward chuckled. I sighed, “You guys spoil me when it comes to food.”
“Only the best for our favorite human,” Edward said.
“I swear I'm going to get fat from all this restaurant food.”
“Bella, you couldn't gain weight if you tried,” Edward gave me a side long glance. “I've seen you eat before, and you burn it off the next second.” I shrugged and ate more chicken alfredo. “So…” Edward started casually after a moment.
“Yah?”
“How long after…tomorrow do you want to wait, Bella?” I choked on a mouthful of noodles.
“What?”
“For me to change you. Surely you don't want to do it tomorrow morning or something ridiculous like that?” I shook my head and he breathed a sigh of relief.
“I wanna wait a day. I'm ready…and I want to join your world, but,” I paused a moment, collecting my thoughts, “I want one more day as a human to spend with you.” Edward smiled a dazzling smile of utter joy. He kissed me softly and then pulled away, pressing his lips to my throat. “I wonder what powers I'll have…” I mused.
“Depends,” Edward murmured against my collarbone.
“My big question,” I continued, “is if…since vampires get a balance boost, and I am in the negative zone on balance right now, will I just be promoted to normal coordination, or will I get bonus.” Edward laughed loudly.
“I could see you tripping over something even as a vampire.” I glared at him.
“Ha, ha. Very funny.”
“You were the one that said it,” he pointed out. I sighed, too drained to come up with a comeback. I finished my lunch and turned so I could lean my back against his chest. I sighed. “Do you want to go downstairs?” He asked.
“Why?”
“You seem somewhat bored in here right now.” I nodded.
“Let's go downstairs.” Edward lifted me of the bed, taking my hand and leading me downstairs. Alice and Jasper were cuddled on the sofa in front of the TV, and Rosalie was leaning on Emmett in the doorway of the kitchen, also watching the TV. Carlisle entered the room through the other door from the front room. Edward pulled me down beside him on the couch, the one beside the sofa Alice and Jasper occupied. “Better?” He asked me.
“Mhm,” I said softly.
“Oh, Edward!” Emmett's loud voice startled me in the sudden quietness of the room.
“Yes?” Edward asked. Emmett came over beside him, plopping down on the couch, Rosalie trailing along behind him like a silent glorious ghost.
“Hey, good luck tonight, Bro!” He exclaimed, slapping Edward on the back. Edward shot glares at Carlisle who was crossing the room, flipping through what looked like the mail.
“You told Emmett?” Edward's voice was dangerously low. Carlisle stopped looking over at Edward.
“No, I didn't. I told Esme,” his calm voice had an edge to it.
“Well I heard it from Rose,” Emmett told Edward. “Rose, where'd you hear it?”
“Jasper,” she replied matter-of-factly. Jasper looked up.
“I heard it from Alice,” he said, gesturing to the pixy-like girl on his lap. Alice finally tore her eyes away from the TV to find everyone else's—including mine—on her.
“Esme told me. Oops,” she looked at Jasper. “I thought you wouldn't say anything.” Jasper shrugged, looking over at Rosalie.
“She asked. No one ever told me I couldn't tell anyone.” I sighed. I could feel my face becoming a thousand degrees.
“I'm going to get a glass of water,” I said haltingly, getting up on the couch. I marched into the kitchen, feeling six pairs of eyes on me. I pulled a glass out of the cupboard and turned the handle on the sink, watching the water fill the glass with a hissing sound. I gulped it down, feeling my embarrassment fade.
I put the glass in the sink, and decided to take the long way back to the living room, walking through the huge front room first. To my surprise, Alice was dancing towards me. She smiled innocently.
I stopped, folding my arms across my chest.
“What, Alice?” I asked solemnly.
“Aw, don't be mad,” she pleaded, wrapping her arms around me, “I honestly didn't think Jasper would tell anyone.” I sighed, wrapping my arms around her.
“I can't be mad at you, Alice.” She leaned in to whisper in my ear.
“Good luck tonight, though. I promise I won't spy!” She grinning, making an X over her heart with her index finger. I groaned.
“Does everyone in this town know my activities for tonight?”
“No,” Alice replied sweetly, “Just the household.”
“Oh, Bella!” Esme's musical voice called from the stairs as she made her way down them. “Good luck tonight, honey. I'm so glad Edward finally found you.” I just groaned, and started walking towards the living room in search of Edward.
“Did I do something wrong?” I heard Esme's voice ask Alice as I walked back into the living room. Edward was sitting in the same spot I'd left him. I leaned over to whisper in his ear, although I knew everyone could probably hear.
“Why does everybody have to know?”
“Shh,” he kissed the corner of my jaw. “It'll be all right. Unless you'd like to go rent a hotel room or something?” I laughed, seeing his sarcastic grin.
“No thank you,” I said with a huff.