Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Solstice ❯ How it all came about ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Disclaimer: The Twilight series isn't mine, nor will it ever be. Pity, that. It belongs in the capable hands of Stephanie Meyer.)
 
"Paul, you take the North. Embry, the South. Jake, you get the East. Embry, Quil, you come with me." Sam commanded to the fellow werewolves.
 
At the moment, they were all running through the forest in their wolf form, after having heard something strange from Emily's house.
 
It had sounded like a scream, but for some reason, it attracted only their attention. Emily, although observant, hadn't heard it. At once they burst out the door, Sam only staying behind long enough to vaguely explain that they were going to investigate the strange sound and to give her a quick kiss.
 
Sam heard multiple vague affirmatives as the wolves ran off in their opposite directions. In all honesty, Sam only wanted to keep Embry and Quil with him because they was newest at the whole "knowing the woods" thing and he didn't want them to get lost.
 
"I will not get lost!" Embry said, only partially angry.
 
"Yeah!" Quil agreed, barely missing a large spruce.
 
"Well, it's better not to risk it." Sam said, dodging a large tree. This was going to be interesting, he could feel it.
 
~
 
Jacob Black was running at full speed. He heard the sound again and the other wolves confirmed that it sounded like it came from his direction. They continued searching in their respective directions anyway, though, in case it was moving.
 
Jake knew he was getting close, so he changed his running style from speed to stealth. He was coming near Bella's clearing, from the sound of the now nearby creek, but he expected it to be empty. As you can imagine, he nearly skidded right into a tree when he saw someone there.
 
Guys, I found someone. He thought, not daring to let the series of barks and the customary howl out of his mouth. The others, understanding why he wasn't making any sounds, thought back-vaguely-"Got it," and "Be there in five."
 
Jake, taking the time they had specified, decided to get a closer look. He let the others know he was returning to human before he made the switch, just incase they wanted to tell him anything else. They didn't, though, so he went ahead, only pausing to get dressed in his jeans.
 
He creepy lightly to the edge, staying behind a tree. He only saw the slight movement of a color-green-through the deep grass, so he decided he needed a better view. Quickly, silently, he climbed the large, sturdy maple tree he was hiding behind. Once he was about fifteen feet up he saw what has previously eluded his vision. Not much of a threat.
 
Before he could call a false alarm, something stirred beside him. Jake, being so wrapped up in what he was watching, jumped horribly. Thankful that the tree was strong enough not to move when he did so, he looked around to see that he wasn't alone. All around him, his fellow wolves, now human, were looking at him worriedly.
 
"Jake, you okay?" Embry whispered, moving to put a hand on Jacob's shoulder.
 
"No, but I'll live." He muttered, shrugging off the hand. He glared at the object of his depression.
 
There, only about thirty feet away, was his worst nightmare. Bella, his love, way lying in the waist deep grass, with her boyfriend. They weren't kissing, thankfully, but they were laying very close together. Close enough that she was probably getting a brain freeze because of her head on his chest. They were laughing too.
 
Jacob sighed, and moved to get down when he heard Bella's voice.
 
"What? Who?" She asked, shocked, sitting up. Edward sat up too, looking in the boys' direction.
 
"Jacob, Embry, Quil, Sam, Paul and Jared, I believe." He said, barely loud enough for them to hear. Suddenly his hand flew to his waist and it was at his ear, graced with a cell phone, less than a moment later. "No, Alice, we're fine. It's just Jacob." He said in a soothing voice, still slightly sneering at the wolf's name.
 
Bella had gotten up by now, walking in the direction Edward had looked. "Jake?" She asked hopefully. The last time she had seen him was when she had left him healing in his bed after Victoria's attack. She still remembered clearly what they had said. (A/N: The following is a clip from Eclipse. Still not mine, though I did type it up.)
 
"I'll always be waiting in the wings, Bella." he promised, lightening his tone and loosening his arm. I pulled away with a dull, dragging sense of loss, feeling the tearing separation as I left a part of me behind, there on the bed next to him. "You'll always have that spare option if you want it."
 
I made an effort to smile. "Until my heart stops beating."
 
He grinned back. "You know, I think maybe I'd still take you-maybe. I guess that depends on how much you stink."
 
"Should I come to see you? Or would you rather I didn't?"
 
"I'll think it through and get back to you," he said. "I might need the company to keep from going crazy. The vampire surgeon extraordinaire says I can't phase until he gives the okay-it might mess up the way the bones are set." Jacob made a face.
 
"Be good and do what Carlisle tells you to do. You'll get well faster."
 
"Sure, sure."
 
"I wonder when it will happen." I said. "When the right girl is going to catch your eye."
 
"Don't get your hopes up, Bella." Jacob's voice was abruptly sour. "Though I'm sure it would be a relief for you."
 
"Maybe, maybe not. I probably won't think she's good enough for you. I wonder how jealous I'll be."
 
"That part might be kind of fun." he admitted.
 
"Let me know if you want me back, and I'll be here," I promised.
 
With a sigh, he turned his cheek toward me.
 
I leaned in and kissed his face softly. "Love you, Jacob."
 
He laughed lightly. "Love you more."
 
He watched me walk out of the room with an unfathomable expression in his black eyes.
 
Bella saw a part of his foot poking out from the tree and almost smiled. Still childish, as always. "Jacob, I can see your foot. Can I talk to you?" She asked.
 
She heard a sigh and less than a moment later he was in front of her. She jumped, still not used to his speed. "Yeah?" He asked, leaning against the tree he had been hiding in.
 
"How've you been? Can you phase now?" She asked. Jake nodded.
 
"Yeah, I'm okay now. How about..." He stopped mid sentence, getting a glance at her hand, complete in all it's engaged glory.
 
She immediately noticed and stuffed her hand in her pocket. "Jake, that's kinda what I wanted to talk to you about. The cat's out of the bag, so I can get right to it." She paused, taking a deep breath. "...Do you think you'd...um...want to come to my...wedding? All of you are invited..." She trailed off, looking hopeful but worried.
 
Jake made a face that told her he was thinking it over, uttering a , "Well..." but he was cut off when Embry jumped out of the tree.
 
"Aw, come on Jake, I've never been to a wedding!" He pleaded. Quil joined him from his branch.
 
Jacob grinned in Bella's direction, only to see that she wasn't standing alone. Edward was now standing behind her. His smile faded for an instant, before it grew larger than before. This would probably kill Edward. "Love to."
 
Bella, with little hesitation, ran up and hugged Jacob. "Thank you!" She squealed. Then she realized what she was doing. Instantly, she let go. "Sorry. Anyway, Sam, Jared, Paul, Embry, Quil, you guys can come too, if you want. Emily and Billy can come too." She said to the rest of the werewolves.
 
Edward cleared his throat. Bella spared him a glance before turning to the boys again, all of whom, now, were all standing together. "I'm gonna be late, Alice is waiting to dress me up like a doll again. Feel free to stop by any time you want!" She said before returning to Edward and climbing on his back before disappearing in an instant.
 
The moment they were gone, Sam spoke up. "Alright, now that that's settled, we have an investigation to finish."
 
Nodding, all the werewolves phased into horse-sized dogs and disappeared with speed that rivaled that of the vampires.
 
(A/N: Well, I've decided to walk the road less blah, blah, blah, and wait until I get 5 reviews from different people. ^_^ Now matter how many someone sends, once they have sent, the rest aren't counted-but still appreciated! Lemme know if you didn't like it!!)