Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ The Newborn Attack (Eclipse Re-Done) ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Alice…” Jasper choked. “Alice!” His lean, tall frame was hunched, trembling over the ashen remains of his lover. Blonde bangs swept down into his eyes, covered the darkened brows, hid his expression from the family, silent sentinels to his grief as they stood, holding each other. The werewolves were quiet, still, mere shadows among the trees as they watched this intimate glimpse into the lives of their blood-enemies.
 
Jasper's cries were loud, mourning, grief-stricken. Tearless sobs wracked his frame, his body curled into itself as he pressed his lips to the ground, grit his teeth, clenched his eyes and screamed. “No! NO!” His mouth was parted in a devastated expression, contorting his angelic, scarred features. His hand clenched around the one relic that had escaped the fire; the little dark-haired girl's familial crest necklace. He held it close to his body, kissed the dark, burned metal between strangled sobs. His little Alice.
 
He gave in to the waves of grief and collapsed soundlessly, fell to his side, curled around the ashes; his palm dug into the metal crest, crushing it slightly under the force of his palm. His expression was one of terrified disbelief, of lost hope, lost faith, pain beyond imagining. It was pain beyond imagining. His long, blond form suddenly seemed frail, weak. He bared his teeth and screamed his sobbing cries again; the sound carried into the skies, the forest, quivering the air around the mismatched group. The wolves pulled closer together, slowly, cautiously as they stood witness to this moment.
 
Esme was in Carlisle's arms, shaking silently, her beautiful face buried in his broad chest. The blond creator stood there quietly, holding his wife; his blinding expression was one of shock, loss, pain. He pressed his lips into the dark-honey curls of hair at his chin and his brow furrowed as he closed his eyes in pain and concentrated on his composure. He needed to be strong for his family. Carlisle's lower lip quivered while he steadied his breath.
 
Rose was on her knees, hiding her face in her hands as she quietly shook with her tears; Emmett's arms cradled her gently, held her close to his broad, thick chest. He was completely devoid of expression as his eyes remained fixed on Jasper and his lost sister. Rosalie's perfect locks of hair curled around her face, fanning gently in the stained breeze that smelled of sweat and stink and blood and ash and flame.
 
Edward was holding Bella in his arms; she had fainted, and he cradled the human-girl carefully, cautiously, lovingly to his chest, his lips buried against her bangs and forehead, his teeth pressed tightly together and his burning eyes slitted open. The boy's frame trembled softly; his face was contorted like Jasper's, pained, haunted by the last scream of his sister in his mind. Alice. Edward let out a soft, quivering cry as he held Bella to his body and shook soundlessly.
 
Around the family, the neat piles of ashes burned on silently.