Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Captain of the Guard! ❯ The Capital Saga! Eight ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Capital Saga: Part Eight

Mikage gently toyed with Mamiya's hair, the boy laying across his lap, feeling an odd sense of admiration washing over him as he watched what went on in the images carried by the bowl of water. This Utena reminded him of the better commanders that he had once known, simply refusing to accept the situation she was faced with. Instead, she fought to change the odds, bringing forth plans and strategies all of her own.

"So unlike Akio," Mikage scowled.

The spirit and his lover Kanae had offered Mikage the restoration of Mamiya, to bring the boy's soul back from the havens and return it to the perfectly preserved body. In return, Mikage had agreed to strike against the King, though he would have done that willingly anyway. With his powers he had slain the court mage, then poisoned the King with his magics.

But it was all for nothing.

Akio was utterly destroyed, slain in battle by this Utena and her companions. His dark lover Kanae, the necromancer, was gone as well, and there was nothing they could do for him now. His own magics were more focused on preserving his own existence, and the magics needed to return a soul to this plane were far beyond him.

"All that is left to me is my vengeance," Mikage murmured, cradling the boy's limp body to him. "The princess will carry the weight of my fury, the cost of her foul bloodline."

Mikage let the boy fall backwards, rising to walk away from Mamiya to the bouquet of flowers. He drew a black rose out, raising it to his nose and breathing deep. Pink hair fell into his eyes, his gaze flashing as he considered what he had to do. A target had to be chosen, one that could finally reach the princess and spill her blood to the floor.

"Ah," Mikage murmured as a face swam into view, "that one."

In another part of the great castle, Utena and Nanami returned to the Princess' side. Utena smiled as her lover's face lit up on her entry, their companions gathered around the room, along with a band of the almost always present courtiers. Anthy had changed to a formal gown, and looked lovely.

"The armorer has started his work," Utena reported, running a hand through her pink hair.

Nanami spoke up, "He hopes to have it completed in two days."

"Which doesn't leave us much time to deal with this Mikage," Anthy agreed from where she sat. The purple haired princess was watching with a certain amount of bemusement as Miki worked with courtiers, organizing details for the upcoming coronation.

"Where's Wakaba?" Utena blinked, noticing that the girl wasn't there.

"We sent her to be with the healers," Shiori said, her own violet mane a bit messy, "she was looking a little ragged around the edges. I think she needed the rest."

Utena puffed out an short, irritated breath. What was annoying her the most about this enemy was his ability to strike out at them through their friends, the people she should have been able to protect. It also meant that she couldn't know where the next attack might come from, whom might turn up with a black rose in their pocket.

"If you'll excuse me," Shiori spoke up firmly, "I'm going to go read through those history scrolls Miki discovered. Once I get a better idea of what this Mikage can actually do, I can make a better attempt to track him down."

"Juri, you should go with her," Anthy commanded. At the others questioning looks she continued on, "This Mikage seems to be far too familiar with us, I fear that he can see what we do. Traveling together will limit his ability to act, hopefully."

"Going alone is an invitation for trouble," Utena agreed. She looked over at Anthy and softly added, "Well done, m'love."

"Thank you," Anthy blushed under the praise.

"We'll be back as quickly as we can," Juri agreed, the orange haired warrior standing protectively at her lover's side.

"Just don't get too distracted," Keiko added with a smile, bringing forth soft laughter as the two women headed out.

"Eh?" Nanami looked over at Keiko questioningly, all the while taking in the rough beauty of the brown haired young woman.

Keiko smiled at her, "As you likely know, they are lovers, and not for very long at that. They've been known to be rather.. intense, at times."

"True," Nanami gave her a look, a little smile on the blonde's face, "I seem to remember a few.. distractions when we first met."

"Nanami," Keiko blushed charmingly.

Utena hid a smile, watching the women talking together. "I thought that there was something between them, in the past," she confided to Anthy quietly.

Anthy nodded slightly, "I would tend to agree with you." A bit more loudly she addressed the entire room, "For the time being, I think we should all return to our various duties, at least until we learn something more."

"I'll take the courtiers along with me," Miki offered, his blue hair falling into his eyes, "and finish our discussions elsewhere."

"Wise," Utena muttered, "thanks."

"It's an honor to be of service," Miki grinned as he all but shoved the protesting courtiers out into the hallway and towards an empty meeting room.

"If you do not need my services," Nanami nodded her head, "I think I will go off duty. It's near the end of my shift."

"Keiko, are you busy?" Anthy asked curiously.

"Ah, no," Keiko blinked.

"Then maybe you and Nanami could take this opportunity to catch up," Anthy said to them with a bright little smile.

"Yes," Keiko blushed redly.

As Utena escorted both women to the door Nanami muttered to her, "Our Princess is doubling as a matchmaker, now?"

"It could be worse," Utena answered her softly, then she grinned and added, "she could be ordering you out on a date."

"A point," Nanami acknowledged as she and Keiko ended up out in the hallway together. She looked over at Keiko to ask, "We aren't that obvious when we're together?"

"I hate to say this," Keiko sighed, "but probably so."

Nanami sighed. "Well," she gave Keiko a gentle smile, "shall we go?"

"Of course," Keiko chuckled softly as she took Nanami's arm, "I can't refuse a royal command, now can I?"

"I won't tell if you won't," Nanami offered.

Keiko moved a bit closer to her, "And I want to, Nanami."

"Thank you," Nanami felt her cheeks reddening. Softly she said, "I seem to have a good bottle of wine in my quarters, if you'd care to share it."

"I'd love to," Keiko sighed happily. They walked a short ways down the hall and she softly added, "You just happened to have a bottle of wine?"

"Well, it could be that I was planning to ask you over anyway," Nanami answered, a slight smile teasing her lips.

"You never change," Keiko sighed happily, the two moving a bit closer together as they went on together.

To be continued...