Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Echoes of a final duel ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Revolutionary Girl Utena: Echoes of a Final Duel

Part Three

 

Arisugawa Juri strode through the crowd, the young people moving aside for the tall, fierce looking older woman when her dangerous glance fell on them. 'Looks like I've still got it,' she mused, her orange mane falling in curling waves down her back.

 

The fall Christmas bazzar was the last place she would have expected to be, in all honestly. Stands run by college and university students were set up around the busy park, a mix of young people and adults shopping for early gifts or playing some of the games.

 

'And here I am to get my fortune told,' Juri thought to herself wryly.

 

More accurately she was here under Anthy's instructions, shortly after Juri had been complaining about finding the right people for the club she wanted to open. She had Anthy over at her Shinjuku apartment to talk when converstion had turned to Juri's plans, then the dusky skined girl had taken Juri's tea cup from her.

 

Gazing into the remnants of Juri's tea Anthy had been silent. "You need to go to the fair this weekend," Anthy finally said, "there's a young lady telling fortunes there you need to meet."

 

Juri tried to get Anthy to explain more, of course, but she was firm. Juri had to go there, and she wasn't going to tell her anything else. So reluctantly Juri had gotten ready that morning and headed out, wondering if this weasn't the enigmatic Anthy's idea of a joke.

 

"Hey, you," Juri calmly collared a young man, the boy looking up at her in surprise and just a bit of alarm.

 

"Ah, yes?" he squeaked out.

 

"Is there a fortune teller here?" Juri coldly demanded, still keeping a firm grip on the mildly frightened young man.

 

"I think so," he looked at her warily before explaining where it was situated, scampering away as soon as she let him go.

 

'That was almost fun,' Juri mused as she made her way through the crowds. The tent was set off to the side, a simple hand made sign hanging by the door, She pushed the flap aside and went inside, blinking a few times to adjust to the dim light.

 

The young lady sitting at the table didn't look much like how Juri would have envisioned a fortune teller. She was young, late teens or early twenties, and her short brown hair looked oddly cute on her. She wore casual clothes, the only strange thing about her being the odd, teardrop shaped ruby pendant that hung around her neck.

 

"Hello," she looked casually up only to freeze upon seeing Juri standing there. Eyes wide she blurted out, "It's you!"

 

Juri raised a single eyebrow and asked, "Is there a problem, Miss...?"

 

"Hitomi," she blushed, looking down in embarassment. She took a set of tarot cards, shuffling them uncomfortable in her hands, "Did you want your fortune told, ma'am?"

 

"Arisugawa Juri," she answered, pulling out a chair and sitting down oposite her.

 

At the sound of her name Hitomi lost her grip on the cards, the hand painted cards flying around the small room. "Arisugawa's Locket," Hitomi blinked, the oddest look on her face.

 

Juri looked over at Hitomi in surprise as the two of them bent to pick up the scattered cards. "How did you know about that name?" Juri asked.

 

"I'm psychic," Hitomi said a bit sheepishly as she picked up a card, flipping it over casually only to freeze. "The Tower," she murmured, looking at the image of a castle tower that was being struck by lightning thoughtfully.

 

"Is that good or bad?' Juri asked curiously as they finished getting the cards together. She straightened, brushing off her long pants with a slight smile on her face.

 

Hitomi looked up, gazing at Juri seriously as she put the card back in the deck, "It's change, sometimes cataclysmic changes."

 

"I've been doing a lot of that lately," Juri conceded, thinking of her recent inheritence, the meeting with Utena and now her plans to open a night club.

 

"I'm not sure the Tower was meant for you," Hitomi admitted, "I think it's mine."

 

Juri stood, looking at Hitomi thoughtfully for a few moments then asked, "Would you mind if we go talk about this somewhere more comfortable?"

 

Not long after they were sitting in a corner of one of the food tents, bento boxes and drinks sitting in front of them as they talked. "I've been havving visions about it for the past week or so," Hitomi said, "working in a nightclub that only had women in it."

 

'A week ago, that's about when Anthy suggested I go out here,' Juri mused, 'a coincidence?'

 

Hitomi looked up at Juri shyly, "You're taking the idea I have visions very calmly."

 

"I've seen some very strange stuff," Juri answered calmly, "it takes a bit more than that to throw me off balance."

 

"Good," Hitomi flashed a smile. She looked thoughtful, "I've seen various other women working there, they're oddly distinctive people...."

 

"Can you tell me about them?" Juri leaned forward eagerly, realizing that her problems in finding just the right employees might be solved.

 

Later that afternoon Juri was heading back to her apartment, a notebook filled with Hitomi's observations carefully tucked away in her pocket. She didn't entirely trust the visions of the young woman, it was a bit too much like a miracle to her, but at the very least it might be a good lead.

 

"And it helps," Juri mused aloud, "that at least one of them is a person that I'd like to see once again."

 

It was a long drive out from Tokyo, and she had to wait until the weekend before she could get away. Clearing up all the legal issues of her inheritance was painfully slow, not to mention the agrivation Juri was dealing with from her family.

 

The shrine wasn't easily accessable, but Juri knew the residents prefered that. She pulled up in her llittle sportscar, climbing up casually and walking towards the front gate and the two beautifully painted posts standing on either side.

 

"Azaka, Kamidake," Juri smiled as she headed fot the gate, "it's been a while."

 

"Good to see you," Azaka responded, the gem on the collum glowing as it spoke.

 

Kamidake sounded mildly apologetic as it added, "I'm not sure where the others are right now, though I know Miss Washu is in the house."

 

Juri chuckled softly, "Considering her tendency to experiment on innocent bystanders I think I'll avoid Washu for now."

 

With a casual wave Juri walked by the sprawling house then back into the forest, soon finding the familiar stone steps. Cherry blossoms blew as she walked up, her long coat swirling around her legs. The scent in the air was familiar and she breathed deep, remembering the days that she had spent here in this beautiful place.

 

"You know," a familiar voice said as Juri finally neared the top of the stairs, "I still can't get over the resemblance."

 

Juri reached the level of the shrine and blinked as she took in the scene. Princess Ayeka stood to one side, her dark purple hair tied back casually, the Jurai robes that she wore giving her an air of dignity. To the side Ryouko stood, her long light blue hair it's usual unruly state, while to the side stood... another Ryouko?!

 

As the other turned Juri realized that it wasn't Ryouko, but the resemblance was uncanny. The biggest difference was the twin scars, one on each cheek, that and the look in the woman's eyes. There was an openness there, kindness, as if she was willing to see the best in the people she met.

 

"Arisugawa," Ryouko moved fast, slapping her on the shoulder and nearly sending Juri to the ground, "it's been too long, damn it!"

 

"Juri-san," Ayaka was more formal but her smile was just as warm, "it's good to see you."

 

"Thanks," Juri flashed a quick smile before looking over to the other woman curiously.

 

"Minagi," she introduced herself with a smile, "I'm Ryouko's little sister, sort of."

 

So what brings you out here?" Ryouko asked as she casually put her hand over Juri's shoulders. "I've got this sake," she grinned, "back at the house if you'd care to join us?"

 

"Oh no," Juri shook her head, "I still remember the last hangover I got trying to keep up with your drinking," She paused, trying to think about how to put it best then bluntly said, "In fact, I came out here to offer you a job."

 

All three ladies looked at Juri in surprise a moment before asking, "What?"

 

To be continued....

 

Author's Note: Hitomi is more or less a fusion of both Escaflowne the series and the movie versions, while Ryouko, Ayeka and Minagi are OVA/Manga incarnations. I wanted to look into how Juri got such an odd staff for the Locket together, with Anthy and Hitomi playing a role.