Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Echoes of a final duel ❯ Chapter 5

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Revolutionary Girl Utena: Echoes of a Final Duel
Part Five
 
Arisugawa Juri groaned softly, forcing herself up from her seat as the intercom went off. She hadn't been home long from visiting the Masaki shrine, and she had been hoping to spend a quiet night alone. 'Obviously not,' she thought wryly.
 
"It's Nabiki," the quietly familiar sounding voice said once Juri activated the intercom, "can I come up?"
 
'What in the world?' Juri thought. She knew only one woman with that name, Tendo Nabiki of the Tendo dojo of Anything Goes Martial Arts. She had trained there a while back, then left for various reasons, but had kept in loose touch with all of them. "Sure, come on up," Juri hit the switch to unlock the front door of the apartment building.
 
A few moments later there was a knock on the door and Juri answered, taking in the black haired woman who stood there. Dressed in casual clothes Nabiki looked stylish, but the red around her eyes and the duffel bag she carried were both not good signs.
 
"Sorry to barge in like this, Arisugawa," Nabiki said as she gracefully took her shoes off by the door, "I was originally planning just to hit a hotel later tonight, but I don't know which are reputable around here."
 
"No problem," Juri answered, wondering wryly if Nabiki intended to crash here for the night. "Are you taking a few days vacation?" she asked, waving her over to the couch.
 
Nabiki's lips twitched slightly, not quite forming a smile. "Haven't you checked your messages yet?" she asked. "I bet there's one from Akane, telling you I'm coming."
 
"No, I haven't," Juri agreed, walking over to hit the switch on the machine. She listened to a few responses from her advertisement looking for help, a slightly plaintive call from a one-night-stand asking why Juri hadn't seem her again and finally the message from Akane.
 
"Arisugawa-san," Akane quietly said, "there's been some trouble at the dojo and Nabiki has left. From things that were said I suspect she's on her way there."
 
Juri turned off the machine, looking over to where Nabiki tiredly slumped on the couch. "You're welcome to stay if you need to," she told her friend gently.
 
Nabiki rubbed at her face with her hands, then looked at Juri wryly. "I may need to, if only to stretch out my money," she sighed.
 
Juri went into the kitchen, getting a bottle down and pouring two drinks before walking to the couch. "Here," she passed one to Nabiki before sitting down by her on the couch.
 
"Thanks," Nabiki took it and slugged back half, wincing slightly at the taste. "Strong," she managed then added, "good."
 
Juri had some of her drink, sipping a bit more cautiously. "Would I regret asking what happened?" she asked Nabiki.
 
"You can probably guess," Nabiki grimaced as she took another drink. A sigh,. "Soun and I had that little talk I've been meaning to have with him the last few years and it didn't go too well."
 
Juri blinked, then got it. "You came out to him," she didn't even make it a question.
 
"Bingo," Nabiki nodded.
 
"So why is there a problem?" Juri asked, feeling an unexpected flash of anger. "Soun hasn't got a problem with Ranma and Akane sharing a room," she asked disbelievingly, "so why would he care what you do?"
 
Nabiki stared straight ahead, and Juri realized the young woman was fighting to keep her self control. "That was pretty much Akane's argument," she agreed, "but Soun's opinion is that Ranma is a man, under a curse, and therefore the two of them aren't perverts."
 
Juri restrained her temper, "He didn't call you that."
 
"Oh yes he did," Nabiki bit out.
 
Juri reached out to put her hand on Nabiki's arm, seeing the first glistening tears appearing at the corners of her eyes. "I'm sorry," she said awkwardly.
 
"Not your fault," Nabiki wiped a tear away impatiently, but more were coming. "Why do parents have to be such....?" she trailed off.
 
Acting on instinct Juri tugged Nabiki over, letting her head rest on Juri's shoulder as she finally burst into tears. Juri murmured comforting things to the girl as Nabiki sobbed out the day's stress and pain, letting out her sudden grief.
 
"Thank you," Nabiki finally pulled back and Juri let her go, smiling up at Arisugawa weakly.
 
"No problem," Juri answered, picking up Nabiki's drink and passing it back to the young woman. "Do you have someplace to stay tonight?"
 
"I was planning on hitting a hotel," Nabiki conceded.
 
"Stay here, then," Juri offered.
 
"Ah," Nabiki hesitated, "Arisugawa, I like you but not in that way...."
 
Juri looked at her blankly for a moment then began laughing softly. "The couch, Nabiki," she said quietly, "I'm offering you the couch."
 
"Oh," Nabiki blushed, looking mildly sheepish.
 
Juri finished her drink then got up, walking over to the closet and returning with clean sheets and a pillow. "We'll see if we can figure something out in the morning," she said as she passed them over to Nabiki. A idea was forming in the back of her head, but she was going to have to wait before she actually said anything aloud.
 
"You're kinder than your rep, Arisugawa," Nabiki sighed as she took them.
 
"I'm trying to turn over a new leaf," Juri answered as she turned to go, "have a good night."
 
The morning came far too early for Tendo Nabiki, resting on the borrowed couch of what was at best an acquaintance. 'I can't believe I said that,' she thought as she peered into the bathroom mirror, tidying her black hair. Dressed in her nightie she returned to the living room, the smell of cooking in the air.
 
"Good morning," Juri nodded, standing in front of the stove as she watched a boiling pot. She stirred the noodles as she added, "I made enough for two."
 
"Instant noodles?" Nabiki blinked.
 
"I'm a bad cook," Juri shrugged, "my attempts at it tend to result in serious illness, queasiness or possibly even death."
 
"I'm so sure," Nabiki said, even though she did notice that once Juri served it up the noodles they were just a bit burnt.
 
Sitting down with her to eat Juri asked, "So what are your plans?"
 
"I'm not sure," Nabiki admitted as she slurped up some noodles. "I'll start looking for a part time job first," she mused, "then find a place to stay."
 
"You can stay here as long as you need," Juri found herself smiling wickedly, "as long as you're not worried about being ravaged in your sleep."
 
"It's going to take awhile before I live that down," Nabiki sighed.
 
"Probably," Juri agreed. She had some of her noodles before asking, "What sort of job were you looking for?"
 
Nabiki looked at Juri thoughtfully, wondering where the woman was going with the question. "I suppose I'd take just about anything," she admitted.
 
"Hmm," Juri nodded then asked, "you used to handle all the Tendo family finances, right?"
 
"Well, yes," Nabiki blinked.
 
Juri fiddled with her plate a moment, "I'm considering starting a business and I could use someone to look after the finances." She gave Nabiki a look, "Not that I wouldn't keep a close eye on you, considering some of the money making schemes you've pulled over the years."
 
For the first time since she had entered the apartment Nabiki's eyes lit up in interest. "What kind of business?" she asked.
 
Juri fought back the urge to smile. "I'm working on opening a bar for women," she revealed, "called Arisugawa's Locket."
 
To be continued....