Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Grapes and Flowers ❯ Jardin ( Chapter 11 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Meanwhile, Budoo and Anthy went for an excursion. It was the first time since she'd arrived that Budoo had left the campus grounds. In fact, it seemed like no one ever left Ohtori--they lived only here, all the time.
I'm so happy to get out of school for a day, Budoo thought. I'm so lucky to share it with Anthy. She watched Anthy's hair wave gently. The trolley trundled along, up and over paved hills. Budoo smoothed her pants, enjoyi Every once and a while, between a few buildings, Budoo saw the sparkling sea. It lost its grandeur in this "urban" frame. I bet its good beach weather today. Would Anthy rather go there? "Hey, Anthy. How'd you like to go t The breeze blew. Anthy looked at her warmly. The whole day felt warm, suddenly. Budoo felt the sun. She looked through her friends glasses at those alien eyes, now the most amiable points in the universe. She became aware of how time had slowed.
"Yes," Anthy said, "it would be nice to lay in the sun."
Budoo simply nodded. It was all she could do. She was gripped with a mysterious silence. Couldn't say anything intelligent. I'll just agree.
More passengers crowded in. Anthy looked nervous with so many people near her. Budoo was forced closer to Anthy and she figured if no one got out, they'd be hanging off the side of the trolley, commuter style.
Anthy frowned. Her throat felt tight. She hummed anxiously to her self--a groaning of discomfort.
"Don't worry, " Budoo said, "we're almost there. I really think you'll like where we're going."
Anthy forced herself to smile. She wouldn't be safe till she had her eighteen inch sphere of unobtruded personal space.
"Here--here, Anthy. Our stop." They hopped down onto the asphalt with a dozen other tourists.
Crossing the street, Budoo looked at Anthy and joked, "I've decided not to blindfold you."
Anthy nearly stumbled. The grounds of the Botanical Garden, covered in every spot by verdancy, sprawled out before them.
"I thought you might be sick of roses," Budoo grinned. She'd only been planning it for the last week. She was also glad that, besides Anthy's seeming pleasure, something had covered up her corny joke.
Anthy marveled at the huge glass greenhouse that lay situated amongst an orchard and a veritable forest. There were more flowers than she could imagine.
They went along the wood-chip lane toward the glinting greenhouse. The sun bent and broke through its prism walls and tinted panes.
An alcea rosea sprang from the rich soil. Anthy had always been enchanted by the hollyhock's gossamer petals, and this one's pale orange-tinged layers swayed gently, all the more alluring.Mint and gold butterflies flicked about it and d Beside the double doors, smiled an eschscholzica californica Budoo's heart leaped to see a poppy. She lo-o-oved poppies. She asked Anthy if they could stop and admire it. It's simple ticker-tape-sunshine petals glowed and waved ***
Inside they came upon the orchid room. Anthy seemed to like them. but Budoo was a little disappointed. I guess I was expecting them to look like lilies.
Anthy felt a little talkative and took the opportunity to tell Budoo that "this is a pleione formosana. It grows in Taiwan." The flower had five strangely pink petals and a "thready"-cup center. What a depressing sight. St Even the name sounds nasty. "Stomach Orchid, Toots" orsomething. "I wonder," Budoo said, "if we'll see any nemophila maculata. No, I guess it's too warm."
"Nemophila? You know flowers?" Anthy asked.
"No," Budoo laughed, "only the one. It's my favorite ('cause it looks like a cow.)"
Between the orchids and the ferns was an open court containing a few fall-soiled trees. Most of them had an Oriental feel and so the paths were gravel and on top of the moss the trees grew in were set stone lanterns. Anthy admired the acer shirasawa Budoo shuffled through the gravel a bit. I wish I was as interested as Anthy, but trees just can't hold my attention for that long. She watched Anthy, dancing shadows and rainbows played across her clothes. She was so in love with the tre ***
The house after the ferns was cool and moist. It was like an alpine forest where even the mulch was rich brown-red like it had come from some giant, decaying sequoia.
Anthy was so happy that she could see plants that otherwise don't grow anywhere near where she lived. I'd never have gotten to see these otherwise!
The room was gorgeous. It's shaded glass ceiling was occluded by damp air--like the greenhouse was going to have its own little thunderstorm.
Suddently, Budoo gasped and, before Anthy could move, bolted for the far doorway. But she stopped. She crouched on her hands and knees a quarter of the way from the exit.
Anthy rushed to her side thinking she was sick or upset. "What's-- ooohh!!" She saw what Budoo was cuddling. "You found your nemophila after all."
The five white petals each bore a large black spot at the end. It was the most adorable flower Budoo had ever seen. It's bovine beauty made her day.