Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ D is for Dracula ❯ Contemplation ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The desert was not large, but it was still troublesome to cross. Especially for him. In spite of his-what had his parasite companion called it-oh yes, his "heat aversion", he halted his weary horse. They were almost across the great expanse of burning sand, and the sun was coming to its peak. A muffled voice erupted from his left hand.

"D…what're you doing, D. Do I have to remind you of the beef jerky theory?"

The dunpeal ignored the protests and dismounted his horse.

The silence.

He took a moment to revel in it. It was not as though he was in need of a bit of quiet time. In fact, silence was abundant in his life…when his left hand was not chattering dramatically. He patted his horse's neck. A sudden hot breeze filtered its way down a large dune, causing his long dark cloak to billow. Left Hand had a comment about that as well.

"D, have you ever considered changing your sense of style? It's been what…fifteen thousand years or so and you still insist on wearing that silly cape."

D's sense of style may not have changed in fifteen thousand years, but his ability to ignore his companion had definitely developed. He bent down to take a handful of sand, then straightened his svelte frame. He looked out from under his wide brimmed hat at their destination on the horizon. The town of Bosyant. He exhaled silently and let the curiously soft quartz sand sift through his long fingers. He considered the texture for a moment, still content in the silence of the great expanse…but the heat was beginning to beleaguer him now. Left Hand could feel it, too.

"Come on, D. Enough playing around, we've got a job to do."

The vampire hunter nodded and re-mounted his cybernetic horse with a great flourish of his cloak, almost mocking what his parasite had commented on earlier.

"Smartass," came a mumble. D tightly grasped the reins to prevent any further remarks, and spurred his horse towards the small industrial town.