Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Afterwards ❯ Afterwards ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Afterwards

She never saw him again.

She grew up, went to university on a track scholarship, represented Japan in the Olympics and beat numerous world records. The tabloids said she ran like the wind and her friends said she ran like she was outrunning destiny. She went on to do humanitarian works, traveling around the globe and helping war-torn countries turn around and work for a better tomorrow, one without violence and bloodshed.

She never married. She attended the wedding of her best friends and of her brother. Both their children called her Auntie and loved to visit. She read them stories, Peter Pan, The Wizard of Oz, and The Chronicles of Narnia. She was an expert resource when it came to school assignments. She knew all kinds of things, like how a medieval society worked, astrology, the history of magic and mysticism, and she was an expert on Sir Isaac Newton. There were many things she did with her "children," such as gazing at the seagulls on the beach or staring into the night sky from her room. And there were things she couldn't do with them, such as playing war or watching Gundam.

And she grew old, laugh lines and wrinkles detailing her face. And she died, after many years of living, sitting out on her balcony. Coffee mug in hand, she was staring at the stars, a smile on her face.

He never saw her again.

He grew up, as people do. He helped rebuild his homeland. With every waking breath he dedicated himself to his people. He helped rebuild the orphanage and spent many hours mentoring young children who had lost parents in the Great War. They loved him, adored him, worshiped him. Boys grew into men and joined his Royal Guard and it was said throughout the world that no soldier was as loyal as his.

He married as all kings must, and he had children whom he loved and cherished. And he loved his wife in his own way, as she loved him in hers. She had lost the love of her life in the war, as he had lost his. He married for his country and she for hers, and because of this they respected each other. Their children grew into fine men and women, and they knew the love of their parents, and they knew peace. And when his wife died, he was sad, but he knew that she would be reunited with her true love.

And he grew old, as all men do. He ruled with justice and fairness, and his people loved him. He died in his bedroom, lying on the windowsill, staring up at the twin moons. And his country mourned, for they had lost a great and just king. He had a warrior's funeral, and was carried to the final resting place of his family. He was buried in a royal red shirt and dark brown pants. He wore riding gloves and in his hands he held a shimmering pink pendant close to his heart. His son took the throne and his country moved on, always remembering their noble king, never forgetting his sacrifice to his people.

She smiled when she saw him. His brilliant white wings were spread out, and his arms were outstretched. She giggled because he was so young and she was so old. But she did not feel old. She looked down and she was wearing her old high school uniform. She was young again and she grinned. She grasped his hand and he pulled her into a loving embrace. Together they flew, past the streetlamps and past the castles. They flew until they reached their friends and they knew they were home.

A/N: Special thanks to Auji-chan and Booki McNerd for Beta reading this. If you wish to see my reasoning behind this fic check out my live journal where I wrote an entry behind why I wrote this, http://www.livejournal.com/~ladyequinox/ . Comments and feed back are much appreciated.

ladyequinox@hotmal.com

~Nox