Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ An Unexpected Ally ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

~An~Unexpected~Ally~

~Chapter 9~




Alex sat in her cell, her eyes closed, thinking hard. Her legs were brought up to her chest and her left arm was on her left knees, her right one on the other and her head was leaning back against the wall. She had been trying to fall asleep for half an hour, but could think of nothing except what Dilandau had done.

It was almost unbareable; every one of her senses were heightened to an extremely amazing high level, a level she didn't think existed. She could hear the footsteps of men several stories above her. She could smell the fear of the others in different cells. She could even feel her blood pounding beneath her skin.

She sighed, giving up on trying to fall asleep and leaned forward, opening her eyes and looking around. Dilandau was sharpening his sword with a rock he had found on the ground, and looking as bored as humanly possible. But she could tell he was just covering, he was rather nervous, probably about the battle coming up; thanks to her heightened senses, she could see trails of sweat running down his face and chest.

Only now did she realize that they had stripped them of their armor, though they had spared her dignity and left her undershirt alone. Dilandau had probably removed his shirt on his own free will; it was damp, but hot down in the dungeon.

She stretched her legs out and looked around her cell. There was a single window in the room, and she was able to detect a camera in the shadowed corner. She smirked, picked up a rock from the ground, flipped it a few times in her hand, looked up at the camera, then whipped the rock at it, smashing the lens and breaking the tape inside. Other then that, there was no damage done to the camera. At least, no VISIBLE damage.

"Pathetic." She muttered, standing and walking over to the window. She was 2 feet away when she stumbled, running out of chain. Growing irritated, she gripped one chain in both hands and tugged at it.

Dilandau looked up as he felt a tremor run through the floor, and watched as Alex tugged at her chains, stopped for a second, closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and pulled as hard as she could at the chains. When nothing happened, she sighed. "Looks like this country actually pays attention to what state their cells are in, though they ignore their floors." She muttered, glaring at the dirty floor.

She reached in the leg of her pants, and pulled out a dagger. Holding the dagger in one hand, she began to dig into the manacle on her arm, ignoring the fact that she was cutting her skin, but wasn't aware of the second camera in the corner. Dilandau just shook his head, smiling to himself, and went back to his sword.

Several guards came running down the hall at the sight and were shocked to see the woman they had captured breaking the chains off of her wrists. They just stood there for a second, then ran down the hall to probably tell their commander what had just happened.

She sighed and walked over to the bars, leaning against them, one arm hanging out and looking down the hall. Dilandau looked up at the sound of footsteps and watched as a tall man around the age of Folken walked down to her cell. She just stared at him, pulling in her arm and straightening as she recognized the man.

He stared at Alex, studying her wrists. She had abrasions and cuts along her wrists where she'd broken the locks off, and the chains lay in a pile in the corner.

"Impressive." He turned to the head guard. "She'll be in this battle that the second in command and the Zaibach soldier planned, right?" Alex listened as they discussed it.

"But sir, just because she'd strong enough to break the chains doesn't mean she can battle." Alex cleared her throat, calling their attention to her.

"Excuse me, but I'll have you know that I could easily take on all of you and win if I got the chance." The guard scoffed and turned to the man.

"Shall I teach her not to interrupt, sire?"

"No, I want to hold her to her word. Let her out." The guard seemed startled, but he did as he was instructed and unlocked the door, dragging her out. The man was obviously in charge and threw her a sword, then backed away. "Prove it. Show me how many of these men you can kill. If you beat them, you can take me on if you wish." She stared at the sword for a second, then looked up at the man, startled.

"Don't just stand there Alex!! It's not like they're strong enough to kill you!!!" Dilandau snapped, glaring at her for hesitating. *So that's her name.* The man in charge thought, watching her.
Alex looked up at him, got a grip on her senses, and charged at the closest guard, who didn't have his sword drawn yet. Before he had time to react, she had driven her blade into his gut, lifted the sword up until it cut into his chest, then moved on to the next guard in 4 seconds. She cut off the next guards arm, then decapitated him, but not before he slashed a deep cut down her arm.

The remaining 4 guards hesitated, seeing how powerful she was, but not wanting to look foolish and cowardly by backing down from a battle with a mere woman. So the guard on her left charged at her, but she was ready.

She clashed swords with him, then pulled away and split open his kneecap. As he was staring at his kneecap, she spun around him, drove her sword into his back, lifted the sword over her shoulder and flung the guard across the room. This action triggered something deep inside her, and it was as if her mind clouded over, and she could think of nothing except battling.

She killed the remaining 3 guards quickly, then charged at the man in charge. He was impressed at what he saw, but was not about to be beaten so easily and pulled a sword out of no where, blocking her attack easily.

She stepped back, then ran at him again, her blade sweeping towards him in a low arch. He turned his wrist down and blocked this attack as well, then pushed her back, causing her to stumble, but she caught her balance before she fell and went into the starting stance, glaring at him. He grinned.

"I knew you were going to be well talented." He hissed, charging at her. She stood her ground, a glare on her face, her eyes aflame. She watched his blade, blocked his attack easily, and swung around, striking at him the moment she faced him again.

He blocked three attacks in a row, then sent her sword flying so quickly that it was still airborn when he swung in behind her and grabbed hold of her by the waist, holding her arms down and grinning as she struggled in his grip, her shoulder throbbing.

"Let me go, you-" He shut her up quickly by hitting her over the head with his sword. As she collapsed against him, he looked over the scenery.

"She did quite alot of damage." Dilandau groaned, leaning his head on the bars. *Alex!! How could you be stupid enough to challenge Cain?* He thought miserably. He looked up as the man started to walk away, and realized he still had Alex in his arms.

He was about to demand where he was going with her, but held the outburst back and walked over to where he was sitting before and sat down again, resuming the position he was in before as some men cleaned up the dead guards scattered in the hallway.


Alex sat up, holding her head and groaning, then looked around, quite disoriented.

"Where the hell am I?" There was a sudden searing pain in her arm, and she turned to see some woman pressing a cloth against her wound. Her head started to ache, so she layed back down, closing her eyes and still holding her temple. Alex heard the door open, and felt the woman stop tying a cloth onto her arm, but didn't move.

It was when more masculine hands resumed knotting the fabric that she opened her eyes, jumping when she saw the same man that had knocked her out leaning over her arm. She blew out a sharp breath when the alcohol soaked cloth started to do it's job. She also noticed that both her wrists were wrapped as well. *From getting the manacles off.* She concluded, swallowing hard as her arm continued to throb.

When he finished, she turned her head and watched him walk over to a window and open the curtians. One glance showed her that the sun was about to set.

Cain opened the window, walked over to a desk, and sat down, taking hold of a bottle of vino. He opened the wine and poured it into a beautiful wine glass. Before he could drink out of it, he noticed that Alex was awake. Setting down the glass, he turned to her.

"Alex, I'm glad to see I didn't hit you too hard." He stood and walked over to the bed she was laying in, causing her to draw up her legs and hold the blanket to her chest, her eyes trained on him as he sat on the edge. She flinched, then pushed his hand away as he ran it over the bandage on her arm.

"Don't touch me." She growled. He laughed slightly.

"Moody right now, aren't you?" He said, running a finger along her jaw, causing her to snap at him.

"I SAID don't TOUCH me, you arrogant jerk!!" Cain raised an eyebrow, then shook his head, walked back over to the desk, picked up the glass, and swallowed the wine in one tilt. Setting down the glass, he looked over at her.

"I suspect the, "competition", will be starting soon. You might want to be present."


Dilandau entered the room and instantly caught sight of Alex being held between two guards and was fighting as hard as she was capable of to get away from them. Deje saw him and cleared his throat, causing Alex to still and the men he was fighting to stand. "It seems like it's time for the battle to begin." Dilandau pulled out his sword and faced his first challenger. *Here we go.*


Dilandau stumbled back, leaning on his sword as his sixth opponent fell to the ground and two men dragged the lifeless form away. *Just one more. I can get through one more.* He straightened after a moment and waited for his last opponent . The shock on his face was clear as a woman faced him. "Guess Cain had the same idea I had."

"Oh trust me." She hissed in a voice that carried arrogance and attitude. "I'm much stronger then your little princess over there." The woman pulled out a sword longer then his own katana. "And I'll prove it to you the hard way."


Dilandau fell to one knee a few feet away from the woman, panting. He forced himself to his feet, ignoring his bleeding shoulder and blowing his bangs out of his eyes. She grinned when he faltered under the weight of her sword. He pushed her back, then stepped backwards a few feet to gain his balance. She didn't give him the chance. Dilandau was stunned beyond belief when she knocked away his sword, and watched as her blade came sweeping down.

A flash of sparks brought his senses back and he couldn't help but feel relief wash over him as he saw Alex standing in front of him, her sword fending off the warrior's own.

"There is nothing more shameful then a strong warrior attemping to kill a weaker one when he's injured and down. You want a challenge, it's staring you in the face." She grinned then hissed at Dilandau. "Get your ass out of here."

"Alex, this wasn't partof the deal! You have no right to-"

"I said get out! You can give me the lecture later." Dilandau sighed, then stepped off to the side, away from the soldiers, and watched to the females prepare for battle.





A/N: ooohh.....CLIFFHANGER!!!! sorry this took me so long, i've had a HUGE writer's block. oh, one other thing, i added to angel in disguise at last, and no one is reviewing! : ( oh well. ^_~