Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of the Night ❯ Carrying A Burden ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Thank you for being so patient. Two day Zoology test starting today. I also start my new job tomorrow too. *sighs* Well, I suppose that is the way things are. On a lighter note, I finally got my Hellsing anime back!!! Yay for me!!! Here the next chapter.

****

Hitomi blinked. “Hey Folken. Imagine meeting you in such a gloomy hallway.”

Folken cocked his head. “Ah but you forget that I was just in there.” Folken replied jerking his head to the door behind him.

“Oh. What’s in there anyway?” Hitomi strained her neck trying to see behind him.

“It’s my lab, come with me.” Folken turned around, his black cloak swishing so violently that it almost hit Hitomi.

Hitomi pulled her arm up so it hid the bottom half of her face. “Come vith me.” She stated in a creepy voice as she swished her imaginary cloak before giggling and following him.

“So you can laugh.” Folken said softly.

Hitomi jumped at the unexpected sound. “Yes. Though, it’s been such a long time.”

“Why the sudden change of heart?”

Hitomi smiled. “Let’s just say that a burden has been lifted from my back.”

“Oh? What kind of burden?”

“The kind that involves guilt. Speaking of which, where is Merle? I haven‘t seen her for sometime now.”

“She is around, usually asleep by the time you wake.”

“Oh.”

“So what is this burden of guilt.”

“One involving my family. It doesn’t matter. So what are you working on in here anyway?”

“Aging.”

“Aging?”

“Ye s. I’m trying to figure out why humans age. What in their genetic makeup makes them age but not us?”

“Hmmm.” Hitomi thought for a moment. “I took a Genetics class once ya know? The reason human’s age is because of how many times their cells die and replicate. You see, RNA primase attaches and codes for the DNA. However, each time it attaches, it stops copying the small parts it attaches to. This makes the DNA smaller and smaller until eventually nothing is left. That makes them die. Maybe our cells, wow that’s weird to say, never die.”

Folken thought for a moment. “That makes sense actually. Why did I not know of this process?”

Hitomi shrugged. “Couldn’t tell you.”

“How do you like being a vampire?” asked Folken after a moment of writing notes.

“It’s…different.”

“Different? 221;

Hitomi sighed. “Yes, I mean I went from hunter to hunted. It goes against…everything I have ever known. Everything Headquarters has taught me, everything my mother used to say…” Hitomi sighed. “I have become the very thing I hated, the very thing I feared.”

“Oh and what have you feared? Surely not vampires?”

“No, I have become dependent. I’ve never been dependent on anyone. I learned that people can be taken away from you in the blink of the eyes. What will happen to me once Van tires of my company? When he tires of taking care of me? I will live forever alone.”

“Hitomi….”

Hitomi shook out of her daze. “Please excuse me Folken, I have to go. Goodbye.”

Hitomi turned and swiftly walked out of the room.

“I wonder Hitomi,” Folken said to himself, “have you always carried a burden on your wings?”

Folken smiled softly to himself and lifted a sheet tgo the side of the main work area. A magnificent painting resembling Hitomi with bright white wings was set onto an easel. Her face was a vision of loneliness.

With a great vision of inspiration, Folken painted shackles onto her hands, making her a true vision of pain.

*************

Hitomi sighed as she walked without company down the long hallway.

“Hitomi?”

Hitomi looked in puzzlement to a door on her right, Merle stood there looking up at Hitomi with puzzled eyes.

“How are you doing?” asked Hitomi bending down and smiling.

“You’re a vampire now aren’t you?” asked Merle quietly.

Hitomi’s smile faded. “Yes. I am. Do you hate me?”

“No. Van is a vampire but he’s the best.”

Hitomi smiled and ruffled Merle’s hair. “Good kiddo. You heading to bed?”

Merle nodded.

“Alright then, I’ll see you later ok?”

“Okay.”

Hitomi smiled in reassurance one last time before she continued her path to Van’s room.

“Hitomi?”

Hitomi turned around only to be greeted with Varie. “Yes?”

“You look very pale. Have you fed this night?”

“Not yet.” answered Hitomi. “I did last night though.”

“Well, you must balance a regular diet dear. Please have Van feed you soon.”

Hitomi nodded blushing. “I will.”

Varie smiled and walked into a door on Hitomi’s left.

“Hitomi?” Van called from a door ahead. “Are you ready to feed?”

Hitomi smiled and nodded. “Yeah in a minute.”

“Alright then. Just making sure you’re up for it.”

“Van?”

“What?” asked Van as he followed her to his room and drew her into his arms.

“Does it bother you?”

“Does what bother me?”

“Feeding me.”

Van smiled. “Do you remember what I told you the night we found Merle? About vampire bites?”

Hitomi shook her head.

“I see. One day, I will show you what it’s like. I could never tire of feeding you.”

“Really?” asked Hitomi a hopeful look in her eyes.

“Really.”

Hitomi gave Van a huge smile and a kiss on the cheek before she let her bloodlust take over.

Van held her tenderly as she suckled the his blood. “I’ll never let you go, my Hitomi.” he whispered into her hair. “Never.”

The two vampires found comfort in each others arms for the night not looking forward to a fight ahead of them, but rather to maybe a future together.

‘One day Van.’ Hitomi thought as she laid her head on the tired vampires chest. ‘One day I will tell you everything. Then maybe…maybe my dreams will come true.’

That’s it for now folks. One hundred Whose Line Is It Anyway points to who can guess what manga Folken’s line came from. Here it is: Have you always carried a burden on your wings? See ya.

Night of the Raven