Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Awakening from the Vision of Escaflowne ❯ Volume One : Prolougue-CH 12 ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Awakening from the Vision of Escaflowne
© Youjibaracuda

12/00--???

Disclaimer: I do not own Escaflowne or any of the characters mentioned in the following (although if I did there would be a second season of the show…) so please don't sue me. ALL NEW CHARACTERS AND THE PLOT BELONG TO ME!!!! Enjoy!


Prologue: What if…?

What if…?

What if things had been different?

What would my life be like?

What if I had said 'no' and held on tight?

"Hitomi."

What if I could go back for just one second, would I do anything different?

"Hitomi"

What if…?

"HITOMI!!!"

"Huh?" Hitomi Kanzaki woke up with a start. "Oh, sorry Leila. I must have been daydreaming again." She seemed to be doing a lot of that lately.

Her friend frowned. "So what else is new? We're here. Try to have some fun, okay? That's the reason we came."

"Liar. You came to see all the guys from the frat house. I'm just here because I couldn't find a good excuse to get out of it."

Daleila Azusa smiled sheepishly; the tips of her hair turning slightly pink, handed Hitomi her car keys, and got out of the car. With a sigh, Hitomi did like-wise. It had been a while since she had gotten out of the house not to mention her friends were beginning to worry about her mental heath. So what could be more normal than going to a party on Friday night? Right.

The music from the party was loud and upbeat. People were everywhere; some drunk, some not. A typical frat party.

I really don't want to do this…

~

I really don't want to do this…

Van Fanel sighed. He was listening to his advisors argue about where they were going to have the celebration for the country's anniversary. He knew the way this was going. First they would say that they should hold it in the market place because everyone would already be there. Then someone would suggest the palace and someone else would say something about having it somewhere else. Round and round it would go until finally it would be decided that it was going to be in the public square…just like every year. BORING! Van fidgeted in his chair. Where was Allen? He needed to get out of there. NOW.

As if on cue, the blonde knight entered the council room, requesting the King's assistance on a pressing personal matter.

Van jumped up and practically ran out of the room while muttering something about being sorry.

"You are a life saver," Van sighed in relief after they were outside.

" Don't I know it." Allen Schezar smiled. " I just figured that whatever was going on in there wasn't terribly important."

" I want to do something," Van responded. "Sparing maybe. Are you up for it?"

Allen snorted. "I've been waiting for you to ask since I got here. I'm sure you've got some new moves that are just dying to try out."

Van smiled sinisterly. "We'll see."

Chapter one: Wishes

Sitting on a couch in the living room, Hitomi looked around to find a familiar face. Leila was off talking to these two guys that looked really good. The younger one was blonde and blue-eyed and looked really nice although he looked really young. The other one was tall, thin with dirty blonde hair and deep green eyes, but for some strange reason he was wearing sunglasses indoors. She was about to go over there to talk to them but suddenly didn't want to. People were all around her were laughing and dancing and seeming not to notice her.

I can't even here myself think in all this noise!

She got up and went towards the back of the house. It was really stuffy inside because of all the people and being pressed against so many people was exactly what she did not want to do right then. The backyard was huge and surprisingly empty. Well, it wasn't that surprising. The night was pretty cold for Los Angeles, even if it was January, and it was much warmer inside. Even though it was cold, Hitomi liked the sort of calmness that she found behind the tool shed. The moon was full and bright and a breeze swept through the cold night air. She hugged knees a little tighter to keep warm as she sat in her little refuge.

I'm so alone…she thought, staring up into the beautiful sky. I've never felt so alone in all my life…I wish Van were here…

She felt like her heart was being drowned a river of in sorrow and pity. She never thought she could hurt so much.

But he's not here…you're alone…

She couldn't stop herself from burying her head in her knees and sobbing violently releasing in a mess of hot tears the feelings she had been struggling to keep away for so long.

~

After a very satisfying sparing match with Allen, Van relaxed in his room. He had gotten better at his swordplay and Allen was having a hard time fending against Van. However, Allen was able to defeat Van… the first time. In round two, Van had the upper hand and defeated Allen, though it was with extreme difficulty. A surprised but pleased Allen had muttered something about witchcraft. He was impressed. Van was very satisfied with himself. All that practice had finally paid off.

He sighed as he looked out his window at the starlit sky. It was clearer than it usually was during the winter. The two moons gave off a brilliant radiance and he had never seen so many stars. Its beauty was astounding. He suddenly felt a tug at his heart. It was a painful reminder that he had no one to share this beauty with. Ever since Hitomi left Van had felt lonely but he had had other things to occupy his mind.

It took most of his energy to rebuild his country after the war with Zaibach. Finally, now, after six years, Fanelia was back on its feet and gaining back most of its former glory. Then there were all the treaties with the other kingdoms to take care of the well being of Zaibach's people. The plan was for all countries to help as best they could to rebuild the empire.

Lately, though, things had died down and Van had more time to himself. Actually, it was more like time to remind himself that he was alone. At these times he thought of Hitomi and he sometimes found himself crying from the pain. It is said that time and distance strengthen the bonds of love. Well, the Mystic Moon had never felt so far and days had never felt so long.

At first, his advisors had told him it was just infatuation and that he should move on. After a year of meeting different women, the King of Fanelia realized that it wasn't infatuation. He now believed Hitomi to be his soul mate. He would ask to marry her as soon as he could brought her back. That is if he could…

Because she was so far away, the pangs of loneliness hit him hard. Of course, he never let it show. He didn't want his people to worry. Only Merle could really tell that he wasn't okay in that little way of hers. She was the one who kept him from going insane . She always reminded him of his duties and reassured him that everything would be all right. She was his company, even if it was just in a friendly way.

But now Merle wasn't there. She, Serena, and Princess Millerna were off with Duke Chid in Zaibach visiting the people like they did every so often. Even if she were there, there wasn't anything she could have said to make the awful wrenching of his heart stop. He needed to see Hitomi, to feel her presence, to be with her. NOW.

He reached up and held on to the pink pendant that his love had given to him the last time he saw her. Tears began to well in his eyes.

"I wish I could be with her…"

Chapter two: A new world

"Hey Dalei, do you think that you can get a ride home? I want to leave."

"Tomi, are you all right?" she was looking at her friend's tear-stained face.

Hitomi smiled at her, "Don't worry. I'm fine, just tired."

"Well don't you worry about me." Daleila looked over her friend's shoulder to Hitomi's car. There she saw a young man waiting next to it in the moonlight. Her eyes widened with understanding. "Yes, I'll bet you're 'tired'. Damn, girl, I'm going to have to start to act all mopey and let's see how many guys I can pick up. I have to tell you about these two guys I met, Omi and Yoji. They're from Japan and ¡Dios mio! they are so hot! I'll call you tomorrow morning…or is that too early?" Daleila winked at Hitomi.

Hitomi blushed. "It's all right. I'll call you. See ya."

Daleila smiled. "Right. See ya."

Hitomi got to her car and moved to the passenger side and opened the door.

"Get in."

She closed the door and walked around to the other side of the car and got in.

"Do you like it? Sure it's no guymelf, but it gets me around."

Van was looking around the strange contraption and noticed it was made for five people. The seat he was sitting on was actually more comfortable than the ones in any guymelf he had ever used.

"Where's the energist?" he asked looking around at all the gadgets in the vehicle. "What that for?" he asked, pointing at the ignition.

"Put on your seat belt first. Here I'll help you."

She put on his seat belt for him.

I feel like a child, Van thought, she has to help me with everything.

She put on her own seat belt and started the car. Van gave a little jump and was fascinated how effortlessly this "car", as Hitomi called it, moved.

"How did you do that?"

Hitomi smiled. She couldn't get over the fact that he was there. She couldn't wait to share her world with him…

"We should have stuff like this in Gaea."

Hitomi giggled. Van was like a little boy that was going to the amusement park for the first time. The cars, the traffic lights, even the elevator in her apartment building fascinated him.

She opened the door to her apartment and turned on the light. Again, Van was fascinated.

"Are you going to come in or are you just going to stand there with your mouth open?"

Van sweat dropped, came in and closed the door. Hitomi hung up her coat and offered him something to drink. But Van was not paying any attention to her. He was looking around, taking in his surroundings.

So this is where she lives. There's so much weird stuff around here. She must have pretty bad taste in decorating to have that big black box just sitting in the middle of the room like that…

Hitomi watched as Van looked at her stereo and her TV with the strangest expression on his face. It amused her. She would have to explain it all to him later.

That can't be all. Where does she sleep? I know there's more to this place…

She could tell that he was curious to see the rest of the apartment, but he wasn't bold enough to go off and do it or to ask her, so she led the way.

"C'mon, I'll show you my room."

Van stepped into a smaller room with a bed and desk. There was a vanity table against the far wall and a dresser right next to the doorway leading to the balcony. He liked the room. It made him feel at peace. As he looked around, his eyes fell on a trunk on the foot of her bed. Although Van wasn't usually this nosy, he was curious to see what was in it.

"May I see inside?" he asked.

Hitomi went over and knelt down beside it and motioned him over so he could open it. He undid the latch and opened it. He was instantly hit by a familiar smell, like that of a field…

Grass…it smells like… Fanelia…

He stared down at a folded piece of clothing he found familiar.

"Is that…?"

Hitomi nodded. "My uniform."

It was folded neatly inside the trunk, with her tarot cards on top. He looked and saw something else that caught his attention. The uniform was sitting on a cushion of white feathers.

"They remind me of you," Hitomi said, slightly blushing.

As Van stared in the trunk, Hitomi got up and went over to her vanity table. She picked up a little green box, and handed it to Van.

"Go ahead. Open it. "

As he opened the box, a tune began to play and a winged figure spun in circles .

This is…a Fanelian folk song…

"How…?"

Hitomi, noticing the confused look on his face, blushed slightly.

"Folken taught it to me. I remembered it so I had that made a while after I got back… it reminded me of you … whenever I was having an extremely bad day or I just couldn't deal with anything I would open it and just listen to the tune. It kept me from losing my mind."

Van watched his love as she looked at the music box with a sad look on her face.

I thought I had it bad. At least I had Merle and my country, Allen, Millerna, and Serena. But I never stopped to think that Hitomi was really all alone…

He got up suddenly and held her in his arms. It was all Hitomi could do to keep from crying. They stayed in each other's arms for a long time.

This is right. Me protecting her. Holding her in my arms, giving her comfort. This is how it was meant to be…forever…

<!--

/* Font Definitions */

@font-face

{font-family:"Kino MT";

panose-1:4 3 7 5 13 12 2 2 7 3;

mso-font-charset:0;

mso-generic-font-family:decorative;

mso-font-pitch:variable;

mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;}

@font-face

{font-family:"American Uncial";

panose-1:3 2 8 2 4 6 2 2 2 1;

mso-font-charset:0;

mso-generic-font-family:script;

mso-font-pitch:variable;

mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;}

@font-face

{font-family:"Calisto MT";

panose-1:2 4 6 3 5 5 5 3 3 4;

mso-font-charset:0;

mso-generic-font-family:roman;

mso-font-pitch:variable;

mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;}

@font-face

{font-family:"Bradley Hand ITC";

panose-1:3 7 4 2 5 3 2 3 2 3;

mso-font-charset:0;

mso-generic-font-family:script;

mso-font-pitch:variable;

mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;}

@font-face

{font-family:"Abadi MT Condensed";

panose-1:2 11 5 6 3 1 1 1 1 3;

mso-font-charset:0;

mso-generic-font-family:swiss;

mso-font-pitch:variable;

mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;}

@font-face

{font-family:"Abadi MT Condensed Light";

panose-1:2 11 3 6 3 1 1 1 1 3;

mso-font-charset:0;

mso-generic-font-family:swiss;

mso-font-pitch:variable;

mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;}

@font-face

{font-family:"Juice ITC";

panose-1:4 4 4 3 4 10 2 2 2 2;

mso-font-charset:0;

mso-generic-font-family:decorative;

mso-font-pitch:variable;

mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;}

/* Style Definitions */

p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal

{mso-style-parent:"";

margin:0in;

margin-bottom:.0001pt;

mso-pagination:widow-orphan;

font-size:10.0pt;

font-family:"Times New Roman";

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}

h1

{mso-style-next:Normal;

margin:0in;

margin-bottom:.0001pt;

mso-pagination:widow-orphan;

page-break-after:avoid;

mso-outline-level:1;

font-size:14.0pt;

mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;

font-family:"Times New Roman";

mso-font-kerning:0pt;

font-weight:normal;}

h2

{mso-style-next:Normal;

margin:0in;

margin-bottom:.0001pt;

mso-pagination:widow-orphan;

page-break-after:avoid;

mso-outline-level:2;

font-size:12.0pt;

mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;

font-family:"Abadi MT Condensed";

font-weight:normal;}

h3

{mso-style-next:Normal;

margin-top:0in;

margin-right:0in;

margin-bottom:0in;

margin-left:4.5in;

margin-bottom:.0001pt;

mso-pagination:widow-orphan;

page-break-after:avoid;

mso-outline-level:3;

font-size:12.0pt;

mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;

font-family:"Abadi MT Condensed";

font-weight:normal;}

h4

{mso-style-next:Normal;

margin:0in;

margin-bottom:.0001pt;

mso-pagination:widow-orphan;

page-break-after:avoid;

mso-outline-level:4;

font-size:16.0pt;

mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;

font-family:"Kino MT";

color:red;

font-weight:normal;}

h5

{mso-style-next:Normal;

margin:0in;

margin-bottom:.0001pt;

mso-pagination:widow-orphan;

page-break-after:avoid;

mso-outline-level:5;

font-size:12.0pt;

mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;

font-family:"Bradley Hand ITC";

font-weight:normal;

font-style:italic;

mso-bidi-font-style:normal;}

p.MsoBodyText, li.MsoBodyText, div.MsoBodyText

{margin:0in;

margin-bottom:.0001pt;

line-height:200%;

mso-pagination:widow-orphan;

font-size:12.0pt;

mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;

font-family:"Abadi MT Condensed";

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}

a:link, span.MsoHyperlink

{color:blue;

text-decoration:underline;

text-underline:single;}

a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed

{color:purple;

text-decoration:underline;

text-underline:single;}

strong

{mso-bidi-font-weight:normal;}

p

{margin-right:0in;

mso-margin-top-alt:auto;

mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;

margin-left:0in;

mso-pagination:widow-orphan;

font-size:12.0pt;

font-family:"Times New Roman";

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}

p.H3, li.H3, div.H3

{mso-style-name:H3;

mso-style-next:Normal;

margin-top:5.0pt;

margin-right:0in;

margin-bottom:5.0pt;

margin-left:0in;

mso-pagination:widow-orphan;

page-break-after:avoid;

mso-outline-level:4;

layout-grid-mode:char;

font-size:14.0pt;

mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;

font-family:"Times New Roman";

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";

font-weight:bold;

mso-bidi-font-weight:normal;}

@page Section1

{size:8.5in 11.0in;

margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;

mso-header-margin:.5in;

mso-footer-margin:.5in;

mso-paper-source:0;}

div.Section1

{page:Section1;}

Chapter three: Who's here?

The air was still. Suddenly there was bright blue light that came down from the sky, carrying Van into its vastness. It came to rest again on the ground near Hitomi's feet in her hiding place behind the tool shed. It then dropped the object of her affection, pain, and joy in front of her. She wasn't exactly sure what she saw through the mess of tears but as soon as it spoke, she was sure.

"Hitomi…?"

They were in each other's arms in less than a second and Hitomi began to cry again, but this time in a mix of joy, relief, and a jumble of other unidentifiable things.

" Don't let go."

" That was never my plan. I won't let you go…ever."

Hitomi finally pulled away, and was wiping away her tears.

" How did you get here, Van?"

He shrugged. " I'm not sure. It was kind of like I was in Fanelia one minute and the next I was here. Not that I mind." He smiled at her. " I do remember wishing that I could be with you, though."

" That must be it. At that moment I was wishing with all my might that you were with me. The power of my wish must have brought you here."

I'm so glad… I can't believe that he's here…

She embraced him again, taking in his scent, his presence. She looked up into his sienna eyes and felt her heart melt as he smiled down at her.

Van couldn't believe that he was there with her in the gods knew where. But he didn't care.

He was with her and that's all that mattered. The feel of her in his arms, the glorious aroma of her hair, the fast pace of her heart that matched his own.

He looked down at her. Her appearance she different form when he last saw her, six years ago. She had grown about four inches taller, and her light brown hair had grown down past her shoulders. Her face had lost the traces of childhood and had changed into something more beautiful than Van could have ever imagined. Her figure had also developed considerably, pleasing Van very much.

Lifting her chin up, he looked into her eyes, and lost himself in the sea of green. That is what he had missed the most. The love in her eyes.

Hitomi looked at the love of her life. He had obviously gone through puberty. He was tall, though that didn't surprise her because, judging from Folken's stature, elevation ran in the family. His facial features were sharp and well-defined, making him more handsome than she remembered. His arms were strong and held her in a protective embrace. As she looked up at sienna eyes that were looking at hers, she felt as if she wanted to live and die in their depths.

He leaned in closer, bring his face an inch away from hers. Closing her eyes, she closed the gap. As their lips melted together for the first time, six years of pain, loneliness and despair disappeared into oblivion, leaving only pure and timeless love.

"I'll take you home," she said reluctantly leaving his hold. Leading him away from the toolshed, she walked over to her car. "Wait right here. I won't take long." As she walked toward the house, everything seemed so different. The night wasn't as cold and the stars shone brilliantly for her and Van alone. She couldn't help but smiling as she walked inside and pulled Daleila away from all the noise.

~

*********Later*********

Hitomi sighed contently as she rested her head on Van's chest, feeling his steady heartbeat. They had been silent for a while, sitting on the floor against her bed, both content with just being in each other's company, both lost in the same thought.

Van looked down at the woman he loved wrapped in his arms. He closed his eyes and smiled as he silently gave thanks for the present and hoped for the future…

~

Ring. Ring.

"ugh…dejame en paz…"

Ring. Ring.

"…no…"

Ring. Ring.

"…stop…" Purple tips becoming streaked with red annoyance.

Ring. Hey you, it's me. I know you know who you're calling, cause you're calling. So if you want me to call you give me what I need. Bye' now. Beep.

" Leila…Leila…Daleila, I know you're home…pick up the phone, it's Hitomi…I know you're listening so--"

"Do you know how early in the morning it is?" Daleila asked groggily and slightly annoyed.

"Thanks for picking up. And yes, it's eleven thirty."

"Oh, you have got to be kidding me."

" Listen, girl I don't know how late you partied last night but I know that you've already finished all your classes for this term but I haven't. I have to take a mid term for psychology today."

"Thanks for the update. But I'm not following your train of thought."

" I need you to do me a favor okay? Come over as soon as you're dressed okay?"

"Fine."

"Great. I love you." Click.

"Yeah. Whatever." Hanging up the phone, Daleila got up from her bed and lazily slumped towards the bathroom of her apartment. She slashed some cold water on her face to see in it would wake her up.

I don't believe this, she thought, looking at her wet face in the mirror. I'm supposed to be free to sleep till two for the next three weeks. The cold water had become warm with her body heat. She watched a bead slide down her cheek and drip off the end of her chin. She snapped out of her daydream and dried her face.

Going over to her closet, she grabbed her favorite t-shirt and a pair of faded jeans. Going to her kitchen she gulped down a cup of coffee that she had left ready. Pulling on her jacket, and gloves, she walked out the front door of her apartment. Smiling at the bellboy that greeted her every morning, she walked out of the building. She was suddenly hit by the cold of the outdoors. She shivered and crossed her arms as she proceeded to make the eight block walk to Hitomi's building. Daleila was one of the few people that liked the cold. Unfortunately she couldn't function very well in it; one of the many reasons she moved to California.

"There should be a 'Best Friend Day'," she muttered as she turned the corner and entered Hitomi's building. I could be the leader of the parade.

~

"She should be here soon, " Hitomi told Van.

He nodded. "How long have you known her?"

"For about four years. It doesn't seem like long, I know, but she's my best friend. We met when she came to Japan in a cultural exchange program. She was twenty and I was seventeen, and she stayed with my family. We hit it off right from the beginning. She only stayed for two weeks but stayed in contact after she left. She was one of the couple of people that believed me when I told her about Gaea. She's been the only real friend I've had in a very long time," Hitomi explained, growing a little sad.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be with you," Van said, sitting down next to her on the couch and taking her hand. They had been up all of last night talking, but they weren't tired. Van actually felt better than he had in years. It really helped to get all of those emotions out in the open.

"My life was really bad where I was. When I turned eighteen, I applied for a university here, and I moved. I got away from a lot of problems and made a fresh start. Daleila let me move in with her, but then she had to leave to leave the country last year to take care of some family business, so she left me the apartment. So this place really belongs to Daleila," Hitomi concluded, gesturing to the apartment. "I'm sure you're going to like her," she said leaning towards him. "Even if you don't, you will," she assured him, breaking into a knowing smile.

He jumped suddenly when he heard the front door unlocking.

"She has a key," Hitomi explained.

The door opened and a young woman entered taking off her coat and gloves.

"Okay, where's the fire?" she said in a slightly annoyed tone.

"Daleila," Hitomi addressed her. "I'd like you to meet Van Fanel. Van, this is Daleila Azusa."

Van bowed towards the girl with short, dark brown hair. He looked at her again.

I could have sworn the tips of her hair were a red-ish purple when she came in, Van thought, looking at the now light blue ends of her hair.

"Van Fanel?" Daleila stuttered in surprise. "The Van Fanel?"

Hitomi blushed but said, "A little rude this morning, are we?"

"Sorry," Daleila said, tips turning slightly pink in embarrassment. "Nice to finally meet you, Van. "

"We need to talk." Hitomi grabbed her friend by the arm and led her into her bedroom.

"How did he get here?" Daleila smilingly asked as soon as Hitomi closed the door.

"I really don't know." Hitomi couldn't help smiling herself. "It's still a little hard for me to believe."

"Well this is great! But you never told me he looked that good," Daleila exclaimed, her hair turning a blue-ish green in excited happiness for her friend.

"Oh, shut-up," the other replied, playfully slapping her friend's arm. "But I have a problem," Hitomi said growing serious. "I have a psychology mid-term today and I have to go to work afterwards. But, I can't exactly leave Van in here all alone all day long with nothing to do, and since you've already finished all your classes for this term…"

"Oh, no," Daleila said, making a face and shaking her head. "No way. You want me to baby sit? Hitomi…"

"Please?" Hitomi begged. "Just this once? I promise I'll be back as soon as I can."

"I just met the man a minute ago. What am I supposed to do with him all day?"

"Oh, I don't know. Take him to see the sites. Show him how the tv works. He's never seen most of the stuff we have around here. No matter what you do I'm sure he'll be fine. And as for just meeting him, you've never had trouble with strangers."

"Yeah, but..."

"Please? Right now I really need you to be the wonderful friend I know is in there somewhere," Hitomi pleaded. "Please?"

Daleila sighed. "Get out of here. You're going to be late for your class."

Hitomi's face broke into a smile and hugged her best friend. "You're the greatest."

"Yeah, yeah. But you owe me one, Kanzaki. Oh and try to be home before 7. I have a date tonight."

"Is it with one of those guys you met last night?" Hitomi asked, opening the door and walking into the living room.

"Yeah. He's really hot too, so I'm going to need to be home early to prepare."

"I don't know why," Hitomi said pulling on her coat. "You're gorgeous just as you are," she said jokingly.

"Out! Ya me estas cansando, y si quieres que te haga este favor…" Daleila shouted pointing to the door.

"Hey! English please,"Hitomi scolded her comrade as grabbed her bag and keys. "Okay. Van, you're going to stay with Daleila for today because I have things to do but I'll be back as soon as I can, so try to have fun, okay?"

Van nodded.

"Get out of here already!" Daleila said.

"I love you, too," Hitomi said sardonically.

"Bye!"

Hitomi smiled and went out the door.

Daleila turned around to face Van. "We have the best relationship, based on communication and respect," she stated, faking a smile.

Van looked up at her. "Oh."

Daleila cocked her head and looked at her charge. "It was a joke, you know."

"Oh, yeah." He said.

He was tall, almost 6' 2", jet black hair and sienna eyes. He had a toned body, she could tell, and he was very well proportioned. She had to admit that he was very handsome.

Hitomi has good taste, she thought. It figures that he'd be from another planet, though. No guy on Earth could look thatgood.

She shook her head and snapped out of it. "Well," she said plopping down in the armchair across from him. "What am I going to do with you, Your Highness? You are the king of Fanelia aren't you?"

Van was surprised at how much she knew. "Yeah. I guess Hitomi told you that, huh?"

"Oh yeah. She's told me everything. Or at least I thought so. She didn't tell me that you could come here," Daleila responded.

"Well, I don't really know how it happened. But if she could go there, it makes sense that I could come here."

Oh, great. He's just Mr. Friendly. He really is up tight. I got my work cut out for me.

"So how do you like the Mystic Moon so far?" she asked, hoping to engage him in conversation while she thought of something for them to do all day.

"It's very different from Gaea, that's for sure."

"Right, of course."

It's going to be a long day…

~

"And what makes it so hilarious is that everyone that comes here from somewhere else thinks this dump is where all the famous people live and where they shoot all those movies!"

Van laughed at this as he finished his Coke float. He didn't really think it was funny because he didn't know half of what she was talking about but he could tell that she was doing her best to become his friend, so he wanted to encourage her. She was finishing some strange thing covered in syrup. Flan, he thought she called it.

He looked at the dark haired girl. She was very pretty. Granted, she wasn't gorgeous like Hitomi but he wouldn't put her in a dark dungeon either. She was about 5' 6", and dark brown eyes that could pass off as black. She looked as if she was a girl who wasn't a stranger to hard work or fighting. She had a very easy manner, and a way of opening people up and making them like her.

I can see why she and Hitomi are such good friends.

"Okay," she said, as she stood up and threw away their trash. "Let's get down to business."

Van looked at her with a confused look on his face.

"Honey, let's face it. You look a little strange," she said motioning to his clothes. "That's why I told you leave the sword at home. Not that many people notice. This is L.A. after all. But let's just see if I can get you some less conspicuous clothes." She motioned to him to follow her.

I guess that makes sense, he thought as they left the little diner where they had had lunch. Hitomi looked pretty strange when she came to Gaea.

They were walking for a couple of blocks and entered a department store. Van stared in awe. He had never seen anything like this.

"Okay, rule number one, your Highness, try not to gawk. It's bad manners."

"I know that," Van said with mock indignity.

"C'mon," she said, grabbing him by the wrist and pulling him towards the young men's department. "Time for a makeover."

~

"You look great. You don't have to stop and look at yourself every time we go by a window." Daleila said exasperatedly. But she couldn't help smiling. He really is from another world.

Van blushed a little in embarrassment. He just felt strange in these clothes. They were comfortable but he felt that he looked strange.

"I just feel a little weird," he explained to her.

She stopped walking and turned around to face him. She looked at his ensemble of loose dark blue jeans and black shirt, with some boots as a final touch. "Hey at least you look like a typical guy on this planet. I don't know that that is such a great thing, but, hey, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Besides, Hitomi will love the stuff I got you."

"Rome?" Van asked.

Daleila burst out laughing. "Oh, yeah. That's right. Sorry." Her hair turned a sea blue in amusement.

They walked along in silence for a few minutes.

"Okay," she said when they got back to her car. "Now I'm going to take you on a quick car tour of the points of interest around here." She unlocked his door and they both got into the car.

"Seat belts," she told him.

After she backed the car out, and was driving along on the streets, Van spoke up.

"So, do you know what Hitomi's life has been like since she left Gaea?"

Daleila frowned and sat in silence, watching the road. "To tell you the truth, it hasn't been that great. I don't know what she was like before she went to Gaea, but after she came back everything seemed to go badly for her."

"How, badly?" Van asked, concern in his voice.

"She wasn't in trouble with the law or anything. It's just that her life was very different. I'm not sure about the specifics, but I know she only told a few people about her experience in Gaea. Most of them wrote her off as crazy. Her family was supportive, but she still didn't feel right. When I met her, she was very introverted, and mostly kept to herself. Since she was seventeen and I was twenty, I felt that I should help her. Iwas glad that she was opening up to me in just two weeks. I discovered that she really was a great person but I felt that she had been pushed away by many people. When I left I made sure to stay in constant contact with her so she wouldn't feel that I had abandoned her or something."

Van nodded, taking in all this information about his love.

I don't believe that she would get depressed like this. Was I like that too? I did over hear Merle telling Allen something about me being different…

"Anyway," she continued, "when she graduated from high school, I suggested she come study in the university here, and she could live with me. And that brings us pretty much up to date."

Daleila shook her head, trying to shake off the emotion of sadness that suddenly came over her.

"Well, we're here," she said, parking the car.

"Where exactly is 'here'?" Van asked, looking out the window. They were on top of a hill and he cold see the entire city from up there. He was impressed to see that it was huge and extended as far as he could see.

"It's the observatory, silly. Famous for it's star gazing and James Dean."

"Is he the king or something?" Van inquired.

"No dear. He's a…oh never mind. Ask Hitomi about it. I don't have the patience right now. C'mon, I'll show you around and then you can tell me if you want to bring Hitomi here for a date or something." She laughed. "I remember the first time I brought her here, she tried to find Gaea on one of the maps. Maybe you'll have better luck," she said, getting out of the car.

Chapter four: Meanwhile…on the home front

Allen Schezar walked over to the window and stared out of it into the garden, not really seeing it, lost in his thoughts. Millerna sat in a chair across the table from where Allen was once sitting, also absorbed in her own thoughts.

She, Serena, and Merle had returned from Zaibach a week ago, when they were sent word that the King of Fanelia had disappeared two days previously. Actually Allen alerted Merle, not Millerna. She just happened to be there. They had come back to Fanelia as quickly as possible. After talking to some witnesses that had claimed to see a bright blue light from the sky go to the palace. Then they relaxed a little, knowing that Van was safe and probably with Hitomi. But nobody mentioned the girl's name or asked what was going to happen afterwards.

However, now ten days after Van's disappearance, his advisors were pressuring Allen to do something, because, after all, there was a country that had to be run and they were currently running low on monarchs. Pressure was building and Allen just wasn't ready for it. He and Millerna had gone to Asturia, Fanelia's ally, for help in running Fanelia temporarily while Van returned. What wasn't mentioned was the possibility that he might not return.

This was driving Allen crazy. It wasn't just that. The feelings that he thought he had repressed for the past six years were now resurfacing, making the problem larger and harder to handle alone.

This is why he requested Millerna to see him today. He needed to talk about it, get it off his chest, and hopefully get some feedback. He could have talked to Serena but she was too busy with her own love life, with her recent engagement and all. She wouldn't have understood about it anyway. Millerna seemed to be the only person appropriate for this conversation.

Millerna was ecstatic that Allen had asked her to meet him to talk. She had also had repressed feelings for the past six years but she had had other things to take care of. She hoped that now they'd be able to get everything straightened out.

Allen took a deep breath. " I'm glad you came. I really need to talk to someone about this." Boy, was he nervous. But, of course, being the controlled person he is, it didn't show.

I'm not even sure how to say this...

"I've been carrying feelings inside of me for a very long time. I'm not sure that I want to get them out but I have to because otherwise I know I'll go insane."

Oh my goodness, Millerna thought, does this mean what I think it means?

"For so long I have felt it but I didn't know whether I want to let anyone know because I know it would bring the unhappiness of many people."

Does this mean...he will say that he feels something for me?

Allen looked at Millerna from across the table. He looked worried, but determined. He took a deep breath.

Here goes... he thought.

"Do you remember...of course you remember...when ...well..." He was unsure how to word it. Come on, pull yourself together, it's not that big of a deal, just get it over with, he coached himself.

Come on spit it out! Millerna was on the edge of her seat.

"Do you remember when Hitomi was here?"

Millerna almost fell out of her chair in surprise.

Hitomi?! This can't all be about Hitomi! It's not fair!

"Well, I love her...I do...or at least I did. There was something about her that made me feel so...safe, secure. I believe that just heightened my ability to sense danger all around, waking my need to protect and defend what I cared about. I just find myself wondering whether or not Hitomi is really happy where she is. I mean, is she okay? Does she feel alone or does she want to come back or what? Was there something else I could have done for her after all she did for me?"

Millerna bit her lip. She didn't like where this was going. This obviously had nothing to do with her. However there was something she had to ask.

" Why do you care so much anyway?"

Allen was taken back with her sudden outburst. He stared at her blankly.

What is she talking about? I care because...I care... I...

He stood up and turned his back to her. He walked over to the window and he stared up at the two moons.

Now I've done it, Millerna thought. He's never going to speak to me again.

" I care because Hitomi brought out something in me that I grew to love," Allen finally said after moments of silence. "She made me feel calm, at peace. Around her, everything didn't seem so bad. I liked that feeling. I fooled myself into believing that I was in love with her. So I felt that I had to protect what I loved. I had tried to protect her by telling her to stay in the palace and keeping her under supervision. But you remember how she kept on running off somewhere and I couldn't control her. Then I realized that the only way I could successfully protect her was to keep her by my side. So I asked her to marry me."

Something in Millerna's memory stirred. She remembered a conversation...

"My friend is in love with a playboy..."

Oh my God! Hitomi was asking me for advice about whether or not she should marry Allen!!!

"However," Allen continued, now turning towards her again, "she went back to the Mystic Moon (the first time). When she did that and the way she did it made me realize that she had basically refused me. At first I was devastated."

That had never happened to me before.

"But afterwards I realized that I wasn't really in love with her. I was just..." He shrugged. "I really don't know. I guess I just was in love with the way she made me feel. But I then saw why I had that burning need to protect her." His eyes wavered but suddenly he sat down and looked into her eyes, searching for understanding.

"You see, all the women I have loved, I've lost. I felt desperate when my sister was kidnapped. I felt helpless when my mother died. And..." He stopped abruptly.

Millerna knew he had remembered about Marlene. He looked away from her and stood up again.

"There was nothing I could do about them. I couldn't protect Serena. I couldn't stop my mother from dying. I was helpless. With Hitomi I had decided that I wouldn't helpless again. When she got kidnapped by that cat-girl, I thought I'd go crazy. It was just like my mother and my sister all over again. I was going to protect her with my life if necessary. But then she left. And when she came back her bond with Van was so strong, I knew that it was no longer my place to protect her."

Then there was Marlene...He had conveniently left her out. It was still painful.

Millerna mustered up the courage to speak. "Why are you so worried now?" This was killing her.

"Because Van is with her now," Allen continued. " I wonder if, because her life on the Mystic Moon is so miserable, Van will stay with her or if Van will return here with her. I really don't know."

Millerna stared back at Allen with eyes full of confusion and hurt. He turned away from her and looked out the window.

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all...

Disclaimer: Escaflowne and everything related are owned by the jerks at Sunrise who wouldn't make a second season. Notice the fact that I'm not the one that owns Esca. The only thing I have rights to is the plot and Daleila…so if you have a problem with Hitomi, Van, Allen, or (god forbid) Dillandou, sue Sunrise. If you have a problem with Daleila or this story…that's what a review is for! ^_^

On with the story!

Chapter Five--Proposal

A slight breeze blew over the observatory grounds. The sun was setting and the sky was a bright canvas, an invisible hand slowly covering the bright oranges, yellows and pinks with a dark purple, navy blue and finally black, sprinkling it all with stars as a finishing touch.

They were alone in the back part of the observatory's grounds, looking out across the landscape to the city as it was becoming illuminated with lights. There was silence as they appreciated the night and each other's company.

"Hitomi?" Van addressed her softly. "I've had something on my mind for quite a while and I wanted your opinion on it."

"Sure," Hitomi turned to Van, ready to listen to what he had to say.

"Well," he began as he took her hand. He looked down at it, avoiding her eyes, and cleared his throat.

Okay, you can do this. "It's not like she's going to say no," Daleila had said.

He then got down on one knee and Hitomi's eyes grew wide.

"I was wondering if you …" he cleared his throat again to keep his voice from shaking. "Would you do me the honor of being my wife?"

Silence. The words hung in the air for what seemed like hours. He looked up at her. Hitomi was staring down at him, her mouth slightly open in surprise and shock.

Oh god, Van thought. What was I thinking? This is too fast. She's going to hate me now. I'm such an idiot…

He slowly stood up, keeping his head down as he felt a crimson blush creep into his face. He was about to walk away to crawl into a hole somewhere when he was grabbed around the neck in a tight embrace.

Now it was Van's turn to be surprised.

"Yes, yes! A million times, yes!!" an ecstatic Hitomi exclaimed.

Van's surprise was immediately replaced by pure joy as he spun his fiancée around. When he finally put her down she started laughing uncontrollably.

"I don't think it was that funny," he told her, though he felt like laughing out loud in delight and relief. He knew that the grin on his face could not get any larger.

Hitomi continued to laugh. "You…should have seen…the look on your face!" she spit out between giggles.

Van blushed slightly. "Well, you had me scared for a minute."

I thought I had made a terrible mistake.

With a laugh, she fell into his arms, kissing him tenderly.

~

"Engaged!!" Daleila exclaimed.

"Don't act so shocked, Ms. Azusa," Hitomi calmly replied. "I know you put him up to it."

It was the next morning and Daleila had come over early and she and Hitomi were enjoying the bright sunny morning on the balcony of Hitomi's apartment.

"No way!" Daleila cried. "How could you say that, chica? All you two ever talk about is each other! Sure, you talk more than he does, but you two love each other, it's obvious! You belong together and so he naturally proposed…"

"Ha! How do you know I didn't propose?" Hitomi asked with narrowed eyes.

"Uh…well…I just supposed he did…it a guy's job isn't it? I mean, he proposes, you drag him down the aisle threatening death if he doesn't sign the papers…" Daleila started to babble, her hair showing a slight streak of yellow nervousness.

Hitomi burst out laughing. "Hey, I'm just teasing you. I know you put him up to it."

"No, seriously Hitomi…"

"Don't worry about it," Hitomi interrupted. "Actually I'm glad you did." She leaned back in the lounge chair and sipped her morning tea. Her comment was met by a puzzled expression.

"I know Van, " she continued. "He's grown up in the expression of feelings department since I last saw him but it still would have taken him forever and a day to propose to me. I was considering asking him to marry me because I knew that he would never do it on his own. That's just the way Van is."

"By the way, I like the ring. What I would like to know is how much you spent on it because I know Van couldn't have up with enough money to buy jewelry in just ten days without me knowing about it."

"Okay," her friend said sheepishly. "I did take him shopping but he picked it out on his own. As for the price, let's just say Van owes me quite a portion of his country." She smiled playfully.

Hitomi looked down at the silver ring on her finger. It was in the shape of a feather, and she couldn't have imagined something more appropriate for an engagement ring from Van.

"It's beautiful. I'm going to have to repay you, too-- for everything you've done for me and for us."

"Well," Daleila said, pouring her second cup of coffee, "You can pay me back by letting me be a bridesmaid."

"Hmmm… I dunno," Hitomi said. "I was thinking of asking my other best friend…"

Daleila kicked Hitomi's chair, then laughed. "Ingrate."

There was a moment of silence. A bird could be heard chirping in the distance. It was a very relaxing sound that was interrupted by some angry driver honking his horn because he had been cut off.

Ah, the city life…Hitomi thought.

"So when do you plan to get married?" Daleila interrupted her thoughts.

Hitomi frowned. The question had caught her off guard. She thought for a minute.

"I really don't know. But I want it to be soon. I don't know exactly how long Van's been away from Gaea, but he's been here for ten days. And if it's the same time in Gaea, people are going to start to worry. It's not good that Fanelia go too long without a king. He needs to go back but I have no idea how to do it."

"Incidentally," Daleila said putting her mug down and pouring in more coffee, "Where is His Majesty anyway?"

"He's still asleep in the other room," Hitomi responded, motioning over her shoulder.

Daleila rolled her eyes. "Royalty."

"Are you going to tell your family?" she asked seriously.

Hitomi furrowed her brow. "I don't know yet. I mean what can I tell them?"

"How about: 'Hey, Mom, Dad, guess what? You remember when I was fifteen I said I went to Gaea and helped in a war and fell in love and you thought I was crazy? Well it turns out I wasn't and now I'm engaged to marry the king of one of the countries on the planet. ^_^'" Daleila quipped.

"That was mean," Hitomi said gravely.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean that, Tomi," her friend apologized, the tips of her hair taking on a white-ish lavender.

"I know. I just don't think I'll tell them just yet. It's something I'll have to figure out later," Hitomi replied.

"Where are you going to get married?" Daleila asked. "I mean, where can you get married?"

Hitomi looked at her friend blankly. "I don't understand."

"Well don't you think that they're going to ask for a place of birth or some kind of legal I.D. crap? How are you going to pull that off? Have him say, 'Oh yes, I'm from Gaea. Yes, that's another planet.'"

Hitomi sat speechless.

Daleila leaned forward and touched her friend's arm.

"I'm sorry. I don't want you to think that I'm raining on your parade or anything, but all kidding aside, these are things that you have to think about."

Hitomi bit her bottom lip. She knew Leila was right. I hadn't wanted to think about that. I know we would have some problems. But now I know…This marriage is going to be more complicated than I thought.

Daleila furrowed her brow and raised her cup of coffee to her lips.

"Won't you stop drinking so much coffee? That's your fourth cup!" Hitomi exclaimed.

"Hey, it helps me think! Do you really expect me to drink that tinted hot water, like you do? Now hush and let me think."

A few minutes of silence followed as the pair sat pondering their plan of action.

"I got it!" Daleila shouted, making Hitomi jump half a mile.

"Wonderful, but you don't have to give me a heart attack in the process."

"Listen to me for a sec," Daleila leaned forward, her tips growing green in excitement.

"I can't believe I didn't think of this before!"

"Of…" Hitomi prompted.

"Vegas!" Daleila exclaimed, as if it were the most reasonable thing in the world.

Hitomi blinked at her. "Vegas…as in Las Vegas? I don't see…"

"C'mon, the marriage capital of the world! Drive-in chapels, weddings every hour. It's perfect!"

"Isn't that a little cheesy…?"

"Sí, pero chica, ¿no ves? Don't you see? There, people don't ask about your back round or identification or anything. All they care is to get paid and whether you're at least eighteen. I know that you might have been thinking of having something nicer but this is the only way I can see you getting legally married with the minimal questions asked about the king of Fanelia back there," she explained, motioning over her shoulder.

Hitomi frowned. "I know you're right but…I don't know. I guess I was just imagining something else."

Daleila put her hand on Hitomi's. "I'm sorry, Tomi. But I think that this is the only way."

"Well," she continued, getting up. "You can still make the most of it. After all the important thing is that you're together, right?"

She cleaned up the cups and moved into the kitchen. On her way there, she ran into Van, who was just coming out of his room.

"Well, well. Look who decided to join the land of the living."

"Do you want some breakfast?" Hitomi asked, coming in.

Van groggily nodded and shuffled into the bathroom to clean up.

Daleila watched him go and made a face. "You could still back out you know," she told her friend. "He's only been here for days and he's already turning into an 'earth' kind of guy."

Hitomi shrugged. "Hey, at least I know what I'm getting into."

"Okay, chiquita, I have to go to work. I have a practice session with Sakura and her little friends. They are just the cutest little ten-year-olds, and they learn fast. Meanwhile, you better talk to what's-his-name about your little situation."

"'Kay. I'll see you later," Hitomi called as she served up a plate of scrambled eggs and toast.

"Where's she going?" Van asked, as he watched Daleila close the door behind her.

"She's going to teach an archery class. She only does that for three days, once a month. It's her steady job between her photography gigs-er, jobs," Hitomi corrected herself.

"Oh, well," Van said leaning on the counter towards her, with a mischievous look on his face. "I guess that leaves just you and me."

Hitomi smiled and moved towards him, bringing her face inches from his. "Is that so?"

He leaned in, gently kissing her lips.

"Sit down, Van. We have to talk."

~

DISCLAIMER: I DON'T OWN ESCAFLOWNE. (Say it ain't so….. I love Weezer…) But there's nothing I can do about it. Besides, I don't care that Sunrise owns it cuz then millions of people can be pissed off at them as opposed to being pissed off at me. Ooh! ::jumping up and down:: But I do own Daleila, and the plot! Wow, now I don't feel totally worthless…but enough about me…

Enjoy!

Chapter Six--The Wedding: The First One ~Part One~

"It's okay, you don't have to panic. And for godssake, will you please stop walking up and down like that! You're wearing a path in the carpet."

Van reluctantly sat down in one of the hotel room chairs. Daleila had come to fulfill her duty as maid of honor/ best man and was delivering Van's suit for the wedding. However, she did not expect to find the King of Fanelia on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

"No one is backing out of anything, so calm down," Daleila assured him.

"I don't know if I can do this." He stood up and started pacing around the very large, cream colored room. Daleila had reserved the honeymoon suite for Hitomi and Van and a separate room for her. Hitomi was to stay in Daleila's room until after the wedding.

"What if she changes her mind? I mean, marriage is a big step and what if it's all too fast for her?" Van had lost the cool he had possessed up until this moment…the day of the wedding.

Daliela sighed. Tell me this is not happening…

***Flashback***

:: Viva Las Vegas playing in the back round while views of the Strip flash::

"Welcome to the fab-ulous Las Vegas!" Daleila announced as they drove past the world famous sign. "Okay, mis niños, let's go to our hotel and check-in, it's almost seven and I'm starving. Considering we had lunch at eleven."

"Where are we staying again, Leila?" Hitomi asked from the back seat, opening up an AAA map.

"The Belagio," Daleila responded. Then taking on an Italian accent, "De most rromantic ho-tel in all of Las Vegas. Wonder-ful for enamorados, la amore. Oui, oui?"

"That's French, you baka," Hitomi said, looking for the hotel on the map. "Now, it says here that you have to make a right turn at the next light."

"Grr!! HITOMI!!" Daleila growled, purple tips becoming streaked with red. "For the last time, I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING!!!!! I've been here thousands of times and you are the worst back seat driver in the history of humanity!! I've been putting up with it for the past THREE hours!" She then began to mutter to herself. "¡Increible! Esta piensa que no sé lo que estoy haciendo…" She started spitting out phrases in Spanish that shouldn't be repeated.

"I'll bet she was never like this when she'd ride a guymelf. She never told you where to direct it or who to attack or anything like that, right Van?…Van?" She looked over her shoulder for his support.

Unfortunately, the king of Fanelia had his face splastered to the window, eyes wide and mouth gaping. He was trying to take in all the neon lights and eye goodies that could be found. He was currently staring at the giant screen announcing Tom Jones and Sigfreid and Roy.

Daleila couldn't help but burst out laughing, making her tips turn to a nice blue.

Pathetic…

However this good humor did not last long. A taxi driver cut her off. Her eyes narrowed, and she then slammed her fist into the horn.

"What this your -bleep-ing problem jackass??!! Why don't you look at where you're going you're going? This isn't a free-for-all! ¡Bruto! ¡Mira para donde vas!" she screamed leaning out the window and doing some very un-lady-like hand gestures.

Van and Hitomi sweat dropped.

"Hold on," Daleila muttered to them. "I forgot how crazy it is to get around the downtown."

She grit her teeth, took a good grip of the steering wheel and took them for a ride.

After the most wild turns, and craziest lane changes were made and most unrepeatable phrases were uttered, Daleila made a final sharp right and came to a screeching halt that made her passengers jolt forward, seat belts being the only thing keeping them inside the car.

Daleila inhaled deeply and closed her eyes. She then opened them and smiled sweetly at her passengers, smoothing back loose strands of her hair.

"Welcome, one and all, to the Belagio Suites. Please exit to your right."

Hitomi and Van couldn't comply fast enough. When she got out, Hitomi even considered kissing the ground, she was so happy to be alive. She looked over at Van and saw he was still a little pale.

After getting settled and grabbing dinner, Daleila left Hitomi and Van alone, saying she had some business to take care of.

They walked through the glamorous city, hand in hand, enjoying each other's company. As evening fell the city came alive with excitement, almost as if it knew that it was to take part in something special. Hitomi rested her head on Van's shoulder and sighed contentedly.

" I can't believe that we're actually going to do this," she said, staring at her engagement ring with wonder.

"Yeah," Van quietly agreed. "It did happen a little fast, didn't it?"

Hitomi's response was interrupted by the screech of tires in a near collision on the street. But something in both their minds seemed to go off.

Is this too fast?

***Endflashback***

"Listen Van, you two love each other and that's all there is to it. She's waited for you for six years. Now that is true love, okay?" Daleila was getting a little worried. Van didn't look very convinced.

"But what if--"

"NO! Just sit down and take a deep breath," she ordered him. He reluctantly did so, with a heavy sigh.

"Look, Van," she said, kneeling before him, placing her hand on his shoulder. "You'll be okay. In two hours you'll be married to the one girl that you can't live with out. You'll be so happy. I swear you will. She's loved you with all her heart for all this time and she's not about to stop any time soon."

He nodded his head slowly. "I guess I just…"

"I know," she said understandingly. "Now, just get ready and I'm going to go check on her and I'll see you in a few." She paused. "Maybe you should have a drink or something to calm your nerves."

She walked over the bar and poured an amber liquid. She handed him the drink.

"You people don't drink much here do you?" he said examining the tiny shot glass.

Daleila smiled knowingly. "We know how much is enough. And believe me, this is enough. Drink it all in one gulp, or you'll be sorry. I'll see you later." She walked out the door and left him alone.

He studied the glass in his hand. He then sighed and proceeded to gulp the drink as Daliela told him to.

The burning that suddenly invaded his throat made him cough. He felt a little queasy as his eyes began to water. He chuckled to himself. Daleila was right; they did know how much was enough.

As he attempted to get up from his chair, he felt his vision start to blur, and he could swear that the room was slanted all of a sudden. But his nerves were a lot better.

~

The sound of the door being opened made Hitomi jump.

"Helloooo!! How's the happy bride?" Daleila's voice rang out.

Hitomi quickly wiped the tears away from her eyes. "Daleila! I thought you were going to…ugh, help Van."

Daleila frowned. "I think Van can dress himself though I'll go help him tie his tie. No guy I know can do it righ--Tomi? What's wrong? You're crying!" Daleila knelt down next to where her friend was sitting.

"No, it's nothing," Hitomi lied. "I was just…" she then hung her head in defeat.

It's useless; I can't lie to her. She knows me too well. She'll see right through it.

"The truth is…" she swallowed hard, tears welling up in her eyes once more. "I'm scared…" she whispered.

Daleila groaned inwardly. No, not you too…She furrowed her brow with resolution. I am getting you two through this wedding if it's the last thing I do!

She put her arm around her friend. "Hitomi, listen to me. You have no reason to be afraid of anything."

"What if this is to fast? Am I doing the right thing? What if something goes wrong and we end up making a terrible mistake? What if--"

"NO!" Daleila said. "There's no mistake Hitomi. You two are the two most in love people on the planet. The only thing more natural than you two loving each other is you two marring each other."

She took Hitomi's hands in hers. "I've known you for a long time and I've seen you go through though times. But I have never seen you as happy as you've been these past days with him here." She smiled at her best friend. "And I know that it's because you are so crazy in love. He is head over heals in love with you. You're all he ever talks about. You guys are going to be the happiest couple on Earth…and Gaea."

Hitomi smiled as her bad thoughts drifted away. Then she laughed. "And all this coming from a girl whose longest relationship has lasted two weeks?"

"Hey! I'm still looking for my 'Knight in Shining Armor'," Daleila defended herself. "Besides," she continued, getting up from the floor. "I've had you to look after. Now stop crying and go wash your face so I can fix your makeup. We have a wedding to get to."

~

"I'll let you get dressed," Daleila said over her shoulder as she closed the door to Hitomi's room.

She sighed and made her way towards Van's room to see if he was doing better.

She knocked on the door.

Silence.

She knocked again.

Silence.

She knocked once more, harder.

Silence.

"Hey, your highness, everything all right?"

No response.

She then was becoming worried.

"Van?" she asked practically pounding on the door. "Van, are you okay?"

Still, nothing could be heard from behind the door.

Now worried, Daliela was attempting to open the door. "Van! Please answer me! Are you all right? Are you hurt? Let me in!"

The door finally opened a crack, Van peering out from behind it. When he saw who it was he broke into a huge grin and opened the door completely.

"Milady!" he exclaimed, deeply bowing before her. "Won't you come in?" he said gesturing for her to enter.

She was fuming as she entered the room, but he had not noticed this or the fact that the ends of her hair were almost a fiery orange.

"This an unexpected surprise," Van continued, grin still plastered to his face. "If you would have sent a messenger ahead, I would have had a proper welcome for you."

"Van, cut that crap!" she exclaimed once she had calmed down enough to speak. "You nearly scared me half to death! You hadn't been very high in the confidence department so I thought that you had gone and done something stupid! I thought that you had fallen out the window, or fallen on that stupid sword of yours or--"

"Hey! My sword is not stupid! It is the symbol of the responsibility given to me as the king of Faneila!" Van defended himself. "And as for the window," he continued, patting his back. "I think I can handle falling from heights."

"You, just--I've never…argh! Just never do that to me again! How could I possibly face Hitomi if something happened to you?"

He raised his eyebrows and smiled at her. "I don't think that will be a problem, m'lady."

"What the f*** are you talking about?" she demanded.

He stared up at her blankly, his eyes not seeming to be able to focus on her entirely. Then he shrugged his shoulders. "Nothing for you to concern yourself with, m'lady," he said as he swaggered over to a nearby chair and flopped down upon it.

Daleila closed her eyes and massaged her temples. "Jeez, Van," she spat. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were…" Her eyes widened with the horrific thought. She looked down at the young man in the chair in front of her and noticed that he seemed fascinated by the design on the carpet. What he didn't seem to notice was that if he leaned any closer to it, he would fall flat on his face.

Oh god, no. Tell me this isn't happening…

"Van? Are you drunk?"

~

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Escaflowne, or any part thereof (I love the sound track). Sigh. That's why the world sucks. But, as my friend Jessie says, if the world didn't suck, we'd all be floating aimlessly in space. However, one point of joy comes in knowing that I do own Daleila, the plot and anything else that hasn't been previously copyrighted. Okay? Alright.

Chapter Seven-The Wedding: The first one ~Part Two~

"Are you drunk?"

Daleila held her breath. ohgodohgodohgod……….I swear I'm going to cry……esto no me puede estar pasando…..

Van looked up at Daleila and seemed to be pondering her question seriously. After a moment, he shrugged his shoulders and replied, "I don't see how. I only had that stuff you gave me and then some water."

"Water? I don't think that one shot of whiskey would get you drunk. Unless you have the tolerance level of a Cheyenne. But, if all you had was water…wait a minute."

She looked at Van. "Where did you get the water?"

"The same place you got the other stuff from," he said jerking his chin towards the counter.

Dreading what she would find there, Daleila headed towards the counter. She looked at the bar that was found there. She saw the bottle of whiskey where she had left it and then ran her eyes over the rest of the contents of the bar, finding, to her relief, the bottled water. She held one up for Van to see. "Is this what it looked like?"

He tried to focus his gaze on the bottle in question, but shook his head. "No, m'lady, that's not it." Her heart sank. "I didn't drink all of it. I felt better after a few chugs." He pointed to the table on the balcony on the other side of the room.

As she made her way over to it, he proceeded to explain, although his speech was a little slurred and he was a little over dramatic in his hand gestures. He seemed to have come out of the 'King Arthur' phase. "E 'tuff you gave me 'as a little stwong. Stwonger than vat I'm used to dwinging, not to mention tat it mad my twoat a little funny." Huge grin to show he's proud of himself. "So, I figered tat wata make me feel betta. Soi see tat bottle (yes, tat one) wit e wata and sso I take chug. I fel muuuuuuuch betta."

Daleila picked up the bottle he pointed to, and her heart sank. Sitting down on one of the lounge chairs she put her face in her hands, hoping that would make it all go away.

"That wasn't water you drank, Van," she said through her hands. "It's called vodka."

Van blinked, slightly confused as to why this was a problem.

Okay, pull yourself together, Daleila thought. Don't focus on the problem, focus on the solution. So what's the fastest way to get someone sobered up?

"Alright, Van, let's go." She said grabbing his wrist and making his way to the door.

"Are we goin to shee Hitomi?" he asked.

"No, not right now." She'd kill both of us.

She pulled him out the door ("leave the sword, Your Highness"), and after slipping quietly past Hitomi's room, got on the elvator to the ground floor.

After getting out, Daliela pulled him straight over to the bar.

"More?" Van asked.

"Hey, bartender," she called, ignoring Van. "I need something to get him sober," she told the guy, jerking her head to the intoxicated man next to her.

"Sure thing," he responded, eyeing Van with amusement. "Hey Charlie! Put together some wake-up juice!"

(Baracuda here: Anyone who has seen Back To the Future III knows what I mean. ^_^)

A few minutes later, Charlie came over and placed a glass of "wake-up juice" in front of Daleila.

"This'll cure anything he's got. Just don't ask what's in it."

She wrinkled her nose as she picked up the glass. "Don't worry, I already know. I'll be right back."

"C'mon Van," she said, pulling him by his arm outside the hotel to a semi deserted area.

He followed her with some difficulty. "'S, okay. I don need any ting else to dwink."

"Drink it, Van, unless you want Hitomi to kill us both." She commanded, handing him the glass.

He examined the redish liquid she had handed him. It was thick and it smelled awful. He shook his head, saying, "Nuh, uh. I don know wat this is…"

"Drink it, Van, before you make me shove it down your throat."

He shrugged and did as told. Immediately, he started coughing and choking on the stuff, making a face.

"Down it, all of it," she commanded, ends of her hair a magenta.

He did, with some diffuculty. When he had finished, she handed him a glass of water that would get the taste out of his mouth.

"Better?" she asked as he made a face of disgust.

"What was that? It was horrible."

"The only thing that could get to sober in less than fifteen minutes. But I do not envy the headache you will have for the next two hours, or how many times you'll visit the bathroom. But, at least you're sober, and that's what's important."

She got up and headed inside. "C'mon, we both need some major headache medicine if we're going to get through the rest of today."

~

"What took you so long?" Hitomi whispered to Daleila as the latter rushed into the ladies' room of the chapel where Hitomi was waiting. "He didn't change his mind did he, Leila?" she asked nervously.

"No," Daleila said breathlessly. "Oh, god, too long of a story. But now he's here and he's waiting for you." She lightly squeezed Hitomi's shoulder, tips blue streaked with a bit of excited green. "It's show time, sweets, and you look beautiful. Bellisima."

Hitomi smiled and nodded. The two girls exited the ladies' room and Daleila went ahead to give the signal to start.

Hoagy Carmichael's Stardust was heard played on the piano and Van nervously stood next to the altar, looking towards the door. Daliela walked in first, wearing a sleeveless gray turtleneck and a jean skirt that came to mid calf with a slit in the front. She was carrying three white roses with red at the tips of the petals, the ends of her hair a breathtaking shade of blue. She took her place to the left of him and gave him the thumbs up sign. When he looked towards the door he felt his jaw graze the floor.

A vision of infinite beauty had appeared before him. Wearing a flowing gown of a cream-colored crepe de chine fabric that just came off her shoulders, she walked towards him and she was all he was aware of. She had once described him as an angel, however he could find no other word for her.

Could it be possible that she was an angel in disguise? Is it a dream, or is she really smiling at me?

Hitomi walked down the isle towards her beloved, gripping her bouquet of half a dozen pink roses a little tighter, praying that what was happening was real and that she was now standing before her one true love, and pledging to become his forever.

He reached for her, and the instant that their hands touched, she knew her dream was indeed real.

~

Scribble, scribble. Dot, underline. Daleila handed the pen back to the minister, as she straightened up after scribbling her witness signature on the documents that made this marriage legal. With that last bit of official business taken care of, she turned towards the happy newly weds, with a gigantic grin on her face and ends of her hair a sparkling blue. Hugging each of them, she told them that she wished them worlds of happiness.

She then said that she would meet them the following morning to take them to the airport for them to catch their plane for their honeymoon.

After Daleila was gone, Van and Hitomi headed to the restaurant where they had made reservations.

Sitting in the dim lighting, they enjoyed the pianist that was playing in the backround.

Van reached over the table and gave Hitomi's hand a squeeze.

"Can, you believe it?" he whispered excitedly. "We did it."

"I know," she responded. "This must be a dream, because I can hardly believe it's real."

"But you can't be entirely happy, can you?" a little voice in the back of her mind spoke up.

"Of course I'm happy," she responded. " I couldn't be happier. Leave me alone."

"But you know that he'll have to go back eventually," the voice continued. "What then?"

"I'll go with him, of course."

"Really? And just how do you plan to do that? And even if you could, what would your family say to that? What about Daleila?"

Hitomi looked down at her plate of food. "I won't think about that right now, okay? Can't I be happy, even if it's for a little while?"

"Fine, enjoy yourself. But you should tell him now."

"Hitomi? Is there something wrong?" her husband inquired. "You seem a little lost within your thoughts."

She remained silent.

"You want to talk to me about it?"

Hitomi fiddled with her fork, but finally looked up at him.

"Van," she said with a serious voice, "we need to think about how…"

The room suddenly got darker so that the candles were the only light. The piano player struck up a familiar tune as a soft spotlight hit him.

"Unforgettable…that's what you are…"

Hitomi sighed. This was her favorite song.

A woman's voice was then heard from the other side of the room.

"Unforgettable…no near or far…"

Another spotlight appeared on her, and Hitomi gasped when she saw who it was.

"Leila?" she sputtered.

Daleila caught her eye and winked at her as she walked over to the piano.

"Like the song of love that clings to me…how the thought of you does thins to me…never before…has someone been more…"

"Unforgettable, in every way…"

"Unforgettable…that's how you'll stay…"

"That's why darling it's incredible…that someone so unforgettable… thinks that I am unforgettable too…"

The song ended and Daleila came over to them and took a still surprised Hitomi by the hand. Winking at her, Daleila announced, "Ladies and gentlemen, how about we give a round of applause to these two crazy kids that just got married."

Applause was heard through out the restaurant and words of congratulations could be heard.

"Now, time for the happy couple to get a dance," Daleila told them.

"How…?" Hitomi started.

"I remembered you said you wanted that song played at your wedding. But after this, I promise I'll disappear. Lo juro." She gave her friend a hug, and cued the music.

As Van and Hitomi swayed back and forth to the music, a smile appeared on Hitomi's lips and as she leaned her head on her husband's shoulder, she knew this was exactly where she wanted to be.

~

A couple of hours later, the newly wed couple made their way back to their hotel room. When Van opened the door Hitomi started to enter but paused as she noticed Van had not moved.

"What's the matter?" she asked.

With a mischievous smile, Van picked his bride in his arms and walked through the threshold of the door. "A little tradition we have in Gaea," he said with a lopsided grin. She giggled as he put her down and said, "Yeah, we have that here too." Planting a soft kiss on his lips she walked into the bathroom and he went over to the bed. A moment later, Hitomi reappeared, making Van's jaw drop for the umpteenth time that day. She placed her hands in front of her and stepped forward shyly.

"Hitomi…" he whispered in awe. "You…look absolutely beautiful."

She smiled and blushed slightly, "Thank you, Van."

He wasn't kidding either. She had slipped into a pearl colored silk night gown that gave her figure a sort of glow. Her fair tresses cascaded down around her shoulders, accenting the curves of her body very pleasantly.

Van held his breath as he moved nearer to her. When he reached Hitomi, he touched her cheek very lightly, almost as if he was afraid that he would bruise the vision before him.

She smiled up at him and kissed his hand gently, letting him know that she was real, she there, she was his. He leaned in closer to her, now confidently wrapping his arms around her waist, pulling her body to his. His breath on her lips made her shiver. Placing his lips upon hers, Van felt the passionate burn as they melted together. As he ran his hands gently up her back, Hitomi pulled him closer to her, wanting him to take her as his own, the very blood in her veins longing for him. His lips moved down to her neck and shoulders, each gentle kiss leaving a trail of fire on her skin.

The night air was filled with the sweet smell of the coming spring and the breeze that blew seemed to sigh as the two destined lost themselves in the euphoria of their love.

DISCLAIMER: Of course I own Escaflowne. Duh. Where have you been, under a rock? Don't you know I possess the key to eternal wealth, happiness and youth, have a lifetime supply of mocha frappaccinos and carmel mochiatos, married Ewan McGreggor, am having an affair with Dilandou (and *ahem* several others…-_\\\ ) and I own half the world?

::sigh:: The doctors, however, insist that if I take my medication and play nicely with the other patients in the psychiatric ward, I would realize that all I really own is the plot to this story and any new characters. Stupid doctors…what would they know? ::grumble grumble::

Chapter Eight-"No, Van. You don't get to pilot it."

Knock, knock, knock.

Hitomi groaned softly.

Knock, knock, knock.

Hitomi lifted her head off Van's chest opening one eye. Whoever was knocking was getting a little impatient.

Ugh…can't those hotel employees respect people on their honeymoon and give us a break? Hitomi thought with annoyance.

"Who's knocking?" Van asked groggily.

"I don't know," Hitomi responded, burying her head into his shoulder. "Maybe if we ignore them they'll go away."

KNOCK,KNOCK.

"Hey are you guys ready to go?" Daliela's muffled voice came from behind the door. "The plane leaves in, like, an hour."

"OHMYGOSH!" Hitomi exclaimed sitting up. "We slept in!" (Baracuda Note: Hee hee, little Home Alone reference…;P)

Van opened his eyes and all he saw were flying sheets. He could hear the water running in the bathroom as Hitomi cleaned up.

"Van! Get up, we're late!" she yelled at him from the bathroom.

"Were we supposed to be somewhere?" he asked, sitting up, gazing out at the balcony bathed in early morning sun.

"Uh, yeah," she called back. "You know, the airport?"

"HELLO!" Daleila yelled through the door.

"We're up! We'll be out in a minute!"

"I'll meet you in the lobby in ten!"

"Fine!"

"The airport?" Van asked, confused.

"Yeah," she said, coming back into the room, dressed in a white tank top, a pair of dark jeans and a matching denim jacket. She stopped in front of the bed where Van was staring up at her with bewildered look on his face.

"You know, for our honeymoon?" she prompted.

"We're going to spend our honeymoon at the airport?"

"No, silly. In the airport we'll take a plane that'll take us to Europe."

"Oh. That's another country, right?" Van asked slowly climbing out of bed, fumbling around for his clothes.

"No, it's another continent. It's about six thousand miles away from here."

"Oh, okay." Van inwardly cursed. He wasn't used to sounding so stupid.

"Come on, let's go!"

Hitomi grabbed his wrist and dragged him outside.

~

"Dios santo, ya era hora," Daleila muttered under her breath as she saw Van and Hitomi walk out of the elevator in the lobby. "Good Lord, it's about time! I swear the plane's going to leave without you two. I already checked everyone out and everything."

"Sorry it took us so long," Hitomi apologized as they walked out to the car.

"It's okay," Daleila said from behind her. "I assumed you would've been a little tired from last night," she whispered to Van, nudging him in the ribs. "So you must forgive me for waking you up so late, your Highness."

Van turned beet red and Daleila laughed as they all got into the car, ends of her hair becoming blue.

"What's so funny?" Hitomi asked.

~

"The white zone is for the loading and unloading of passengers only."

"Yeah, yeah, I know already," Daleila mutteredas she helped unload Van and Hitomi's suitcases from her car.

"Where is that voice coming from?" Van asked, more to himself than anyone else.

"You make me laugh your Highness," Daleila chuckled. "And that's why I'm going to miss you." Catching him off guard, she pulled him into a strong hug. "All's well that ends well, so no sappy goodbyes for us right?"

"Yeah," Van said, scratching the back of his head, not exactly understanding why it was that this girl was acting so strangely. But he noticed that the customary violet shade of the ends of her hair was speckled with a light shade of gray.

Daleila turned to Hitomi and smiled sadly. "Well, this is it," she said.

"Yeah," the latter replied.

"I hope everything works out like you've planned, even though it means I won't see you again," Daleila said, her voice shaking slightly, eyes stinging with tears.

"I don't know how to thank you for all you've done for me," Hitomi choked out, her own eyes filling with tears.

They embraced each other tightly, each struggling but failing not to cry.

"Ay," Daleila laughed, wiping tears from her eyes. "Mira lo que hiciste."

"English, please," Hitomi requested, sniffling.

"Hey, I gotta go," Daleila said, "I'll bet if I don't move the car, someone's going to give me a ticket for illegal parking." She hugged Hitomi once more. "You take care. And if it doesn't work, give me a call. If you don't call I'll know that it worked."

Hitomi nodded.

"And you," she said to Van, "You take good care of my best friend. And don't get into too much trouble, understand?" She punched him playfully in the arm.

She pulled them both into a tight hug one more time and they all turned to go their separate ways.

"Hey," Daleila called out to Hitomi. "If you find another one like that one," she said jerking her chin at Van, "Send him my way!"

"I will!" Hitomi giggled.

~

"Okay, we have to get to the gate terminal quickly," Hitomi said as she hurried through the airport after they had checked in their bags at the luggage counter. She looked over her shoulder at Van. "Van…Van? Could you please continue walking this is not the time to be observing the Mystic Moon."

Van pulled himself away from all the screens in front of him. Each appeared to have a timetable on it for different destinations and from different places. It was all mildly confusing.

"Oh," Hitomi groaned. "We still have to through that thing."

Van followed her gaze to see people in line, placing purses and bags on a belt that led to a box like contraption and the people themselves walked through a gate-like thing that had flashing lights.

"It's just a gate, Hitomi. Although I don't understand why you absolutely have to walk through it. What's the big deal?"

She rolled her eyes. "It's just a big hassle that's all. There's no way around it. And it's not just a gate, it's called a metal detector."

Van nodded. "Why is it necessary?"

"It's so that the airline can ensure that the passengers on the flights are safe," Hitomi explained. "So there aren't any plane highjacks or bombs or anything like that."

Van nodded again, pretending he understood but didn't. He didn't want to ask anymore questions because he hated feeling stupid. He had some pride.

When it came to their turn to pass through the gate, Hitomi placed her purse on the belt and her keys in a little plate the man next to the gate held out for her. She walked through the gate and picked up her purse and her keys on the other side.

Van then walked through, expecting something to happen. When nothing did, he felt strangely disappointed.

"Was something supposed to happen?" he asked Hitomi quietly as they walked on.

"Not unless you had metal on you," she replied.

Suddenly a loud beeping noise went off and a frightened man was pulled over by the security guards and patted down. He was let go upon the discovery of keys in his pocket.

"Something like that would have happened," Hitomi said. "And it might have happened to you had you brought your sword."

Hitomi laughed silently. It would have been hilarious to see Van's reaction if they did pull him aside because of that stupid thing.

When they arrived at their terminal, the plane had already begun boarding.

"Hurry, Van!" Hitomi pulled him along as she handed the lady their tickets.

They hurried down the corridor and onto the plane.

The flight attendant showed them to their seats (first class) next to the window.

When they had settled in, van was looking around at the strange contraption they were flying in.

"Isn't it a little small?" he asked her, noticing how they had shoved so many people into one small space. "Where do they keep the levitation rocks and the energists?" he whispered.

Hitomi couldn't help but laugh at how child-like he was behaving. She kissed his forehead.

"We don't have levitation rocks or energists. This things runs on gasoline, just like cars."

Van furrowed his brow as he tried to picture how such an enormous craft could fly on the little liquid known as gasoline."Alright, I think understand." He settled back into his seat. "Are we supposed to sleep this way? I assume such a long trip will take at least a day or two."

Hitomi took his hand and shook her head. "You're so cute, you know that? No, we're not flying directly to Europe on this plane. We're going to New York from here. That will take about four hours. From there, Daleila booked us a flight on the fastest airplane in the world, the Concord and from there we'll fly to the country of France in about six hours."

Van had a look of utter disbelief on his face.

Hitomi took his hand and pulled him along with her.

She walked to the front of the plane and called the flight attendant, whispering something to her that Van didn't quite catch.

The lady nodded and smiled and led them into a small room at the front of the plane.

Hitomi led Van into the cockpit of the plane and tried to stifle a laugh as his jaw dropped at the sight of all the equipment.

The captain of the plane was already taking to two small children that had come I to look at the cockpit.

"What' s that?" the little boy asked pointing to something.

"And that?" the little girl asked, pointing at something else.

The captain explained what each thing was for; controlling the altitude, the pitch of the plane, the weather conditions, communicating with the radio tower, etc.

"May I pilot it ,sir?" the little boy asked.

The captain chuckled. "Sure, old sport. We can pretend like the plane has taken off."

He set the boy down in his lap, while the six year old took the helm.

Van looked at Hitomi and she grabbed his arm. "No, Van. You can't pilot it." She dragged him back to their seats.

Fifteen minutes later the plane took off towards New York.

~

Four hours later, after walking through JFK airport to the AirFrance terminal to board the fastest plane in the world. Hitomi looked down as the plane ascended and thought of Los Angeles, and Las Vegas. One was the site of the happiest moment in her life and the other had been her home and that was where her best friend was. She knew that if her plan to go to Japan worked, she would never see any of them ever again…

Chapter Nine-The Plan

"I hate airplane food," Van said as they got into a cab.

"I hate the baggage claim," Hitomi said as she settled in next to him.

They told the driver to head to the hotel where they were staying in France.

Even though it was two in the afternoon, both of them crawled right into bed as soon as they reached their room and fell fast asleep in each other's arms.

~

The next two weeks was spent bashing wildly around Europe having the time of their lives.

In France they went to the Eiffel Tower.

"You can see the whole city from up here," Hitomi breathed, taking in the

amazing sight that was before her. "It's breathtaking."

"Not as much as you are," Van said pulling her to him and planting a sweet kiss

on her lips.

Hitomi smiled up at him. "You know, the French invented a delicate art that takes diligence, concentration and lots and lots of practice," Hitomi informed him. "You might be familiar with it."

Van raised his eyebrows. "Really? And what might it be?"

Hitomi leaned in and placed her face centimeters from his. "I'll show you," she whispered with a seductive smile, "It's called French kissing."

They went to Versailles Palace.

"You think could get the palace in Fanelia to look like this?" Van asked as he

gazed upon the Hall of Mirrors in awe.

In London, they went to the theater to see musicals like Cats.

"I think Merle would have enjoyed that, don't you?"

They went to the Tower of London and Buckingham Palace.

"So royal families get no respect here?" Van asked.

"Nope. They don't even have real power anymore. All you ever hear about them

is when it involves some kind of scandal. They are more a social than a political

entity," Hitomi explained. "But you think the Queen might want to have us join

her for tea? You know, you being a follow ruler and all…"

They toured Italy, Sweden, Spain and Portugal. Both were taken back by the beauty of the old country, and Van felt more at ease in this part of the Mystic Moon. It was more like Gaea.

And, for Van's sake, they went to Greece, where they found the story of the lost empire of Atlantis and the peculiar tale of it's mysterious disappearance.

Apart from this, they enjoyed their honeymoon.

~

After spending two weeks having a fabulously good time, Hitomi began to get a bit restless.

I think it's time I told him.

"Van?" she addressed him softly as they lay in bed in the dark one night in Greece.

"Yes?" he responded, gently stroking her hair as it cascaded over his bare chest.

"I was meaning to talk to you about something that's been on my mind for a while," she began.

He continued to stroke her hair lovingly and said nothing, meaning that he was listening.

"I've been thinking about Gaea and you and Fanelia."

She licked her lips and continued. "I was thinking that you have go back and I just wanted to let you know that I want to go with you too."

She lifted her head to look into his eyes.

"Hitomi," he said gently, "I wasn't planning on going anywhere without you. I made the mistake of letting you go once. I'm not going to make the same mistake again."

"Besides," he continued, "What kind of a husband would I be if I just left you here?"

"That's right," she joked, "I would have to divorce you."

"But seriously, Van, I've been thinking about this." Hitomi fingered the pink tear drop that Van still wore around his neck. In the light of the moon streaming in through the window, it seemed to wink at her, letting her know that it would be all right.

She sighed. "I was thinking that we should go back to Japan. Of all the places that we could use to go back to Gaea, I think the one that has most possibilities is Japan. I mean, that's where I went to Gaea twice, remember."

Van kissed her forehead and caressed her cheek.

"Okay, so is that where you want to go?"

Hitomi nodded.

"When?" he asked, gently running his fingertips across her neck and down bare shoulder.

Hitomi shivered.

"Tomorrow."

~

Ding dong.

"Yes, I'm coming," said the middle aged woman with light brown hair.

She wiped her hands on her apron and pulled open the front door. She gasped and took a step back, bringing a shaky hand to cover her mouth.

"Hello, Mother," Hitomi said stepping inside the house.

"H-Hitomi," her mother stuttered. Finally regaining her composure, Mrs. Kanzaki came forward to embrace her daughter whom she had not seen in four years. "You're home."

Hitomi pulled away from her mother's embrace and looked at her firmly.

"Well, not exactly, Mother." Hitomi took a deep breath. "My life has changed completely in a relatively short amount of time, Mother, and I know that it all may come as a bit shocking. But-actually, where's Father and Keiji? I want to only say it once so I'll tell all of you."

"I'll call them. I want you to tell me all about it, but please," Mrs. Kanzaki took her daughter by the hand leading her into the living room, "Come sit down, warm up. It's rather cold outside. I'll bring you some tea."

"That's fine, Mom," Hitomi said, pulling off her jacket and scarf. "Actually I think I'll call Yukari and Amano so they can hear it too."

Hitomi walked to the phone and dialed up her old friends.

~

"Are you okay?" Hitomi asked as soon as she stepped outside the door.

"Yeah, I'm all right," Van said, shivering slightly, "It's just a bit colder than I'm used to, though."

"Look, I don't want you sitting out here the whole time I'm explaining this to them, so common." Hitomi took his wrist and brought him inside the house. The warm air from inside was so great he didn't protest as Hitomi dragged him up a flight of stairs and into one of the rooms.

"You stay here while I talk to them, all right?" Hitomi instructed him.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?"

"No this is something I have to do on my own, for now." She smiled at him and kissed him gently.

He caressed her cheek. "It's all going to be fine, you'll see," he comforted her softly. Van understood that this was very difficult for Hitomi. She hadn't seen her family in a long time and she was going to leave them almost immediately and quite possibly forever. He wanted her to know that he was there for her.

Hitomi took a deep breath. "Okay, here we go. Wish me luck."

~

Hitomi came down the stairs and into the living room. There were seated the people she cared about the most. Yukari and Amano were sitting on the couch talking quietly with her brother Keiji. Her mother was pouring some tea for her father who was sitting in the big arm chair.

She cleared her throat loudly to announce herself. Yukari looked up and her smile grew huge. She jumped up and ran to hug Hitomi.

"You're here! I'm do glad!" Yukari told Hitomi hugging her tightly.

Amano walked up behind Yukari and also hugged Hitomi as soon as Yukari had let her go.

"Why didn't you call earlier to tell us you were coming?" he asked.

"She never calls," her brother answered from the couch.

Hitomi narrowed her eyes at Keiji.

"I wasn't sure if I was coming," she informed them.

"Well, you're here now," her father said as Yukari and Amano made their way back to the couch, Yukari holding on to Hitomi's arm to pull her down next to her.

"So what's new with you?" Hitomi asked Yukari, stalling for time while she thought of how she was going to drop the bomb on her friends and family.

"Well, Amano and I are expecting our first child now and…" Yukari trailed off by the look of confusion on Hitomi's face.

"You're married?" she asked quietly.

Yukari blushed, embarrassed. "I guess we forgot to tell you…I'm so sorry."

Hitomi shook her head and gave them a small smile. "Don't worry about it."

I haven't told them I'm married either, she thought.

"I expected it would happen eventually. Congratulations."

"So what is it that you wanted to tell us, sweetie?" her mother asked.

Hitomi took a deep breath and let it out slowly, looking at every person in the room.

"Well, I know that I haven't really kept in touch with all of you in a while," Hitomi started.

"A while? Try four years," her brother quipped but said nothing more when met by a death glare from his father.

"Anyway," Hitomi continued, ignoring Keiji's remark, "Something has happened to me recently that has changed my life completely. Actually, there were several things."

"Do you still live with Daleila?" her mother asked. Hitomi's family loved Daleila even though they claimed that she was the one that 'took Hitomi away from them.'

"Yes…and no. Just listen please. This is hard enough for me to say without interruptions."

Hitomi sighed and looked at her parents directly.

"Do you remember what I said about Gaea?"

Her parents blinked in surprise. This was not what they had been expecting form their daughter. Keiji rolled his eyes. Not this again.

Amano held Yukari's hand. He knew that this was hard for all of them.

Everyone there had tried to be supportive of Hitomi when she returned from her disappearance. She claimed to have gone another planet where there was war and mysterious creatures and where she had made friends. She had looked to Yukari and Amano in support for verifying her story. Yukari at first backed her frined one hundred percent, saying that she had seen a column of light take Hitomi that night. But after a while, Yukari wasn't so sure that it was what truly happened and was now sure that it had just been a figment of her imagination.

She, Amano and Hitomi had all been through therapy, but Hitomi continued to insist that she had been to Gaea. However, after a week at the psychiatric ward, she stopped speaking of it and drew into herself for a long time.

"We remember your story Hitomi," Mrs. Kanzaki said gently.

Hitomi closed her eyes and tried to control her building anger. "I know you didn't believe me when I told you about it but I don't want to argue about it with you right now."

"But darling, you know it didn't happen," her mother persisted.

That's when Hitomi snapped.

"It did happen Mother!" she screamed, jumping up form the couch, "And what's more I got married with a man from Gaea!"

There was silence in the room as Hitomi's outburst was met with surprise and shock. Yukari stared at her with wide eyes, her mother had her hand to her heart and even her brother had his mouth hanging open.

When Hitomi realized what she had done, she closed her eyes and groaned, and sat back down on the couch, dropping her head in her hands.

This can't be happening…

~

This can't be happening…

Van peered in awe at a picture on the desk in the small room.

In the picture he saw the girl he fell in love with the way he remembered her: fifteen years old.

There she was, sparkling green eyes and radiant smile. Apparently, she had just won something important. She had another girl hanging on her neck and a tall young man next to them. They both appeared to be very close to Hitomi at the time and Van couldn't help but feel a bit of jealousy towards the guy. He vaguely recalled Hitomi mentioning a name when she had first come to Gaea… Amano he thought it was.

Van looked around the room Hitomi had put him in. He had been looking around it for about twenty minutes but he had long figured out that it was Hitomi's room. Everything about it had her essence and he liked the feeling of the place. He sat of the bed and stared out of the window above the desk. The sun was setting and the stars were beginning to appear in the sky.

I wonder if Hitomi's doing all right. She's been down there for a while now. She should be coming up to get me soon. Or should I just go down there? Well, I'll wait another five minutes and then I'll see what's going on.

Just then his thoughts were interrupted by Hitomi bursting into the room. Van stood up and quickly took her in his arms before she proceeded to collapse in tears. He led her over to the bed and sat her in his lap and she sobbed on his shoulder. He gently stroked her hair and rubbed her back, trying to get her to calm down enough to tell him what happened.

"Shh…I'm here, I'm here," he whispered in her ear.

Hitomi lifted her head and straightened herself out. She held her head high and blinked away the rest of her tears.

This is no time for crying, she told herself. I have a plan and no matter what anyone says I'm going to see it through.

She stood up and looked at Van, who looked up at her with curious eyes.

"Let's go," she said in a horse voice.

Van decided that right then was not the best time for questions so he decided to say nothing. He walked over to his wife who took him by the hand and led him downstairs.

However, to his surprise, she led him to the outside door.

"Here," she said as she handed him his coat and proceeded to put hers on as well.

"But I thought we were going to talk to your parents," Van said, confused as to why they were leaving.

"No, not anymore," Hitomi said curtly as she opened the door.

"Hitomi, wait," a voice called from behind them.

Van and Hitomi turned around and Hitomi let out a small gasp of surprise.

"K-Keiji," she breathed in awe but quickly composed herself. "What do you want?" she said with a bit of edge in her voice, "Are you here to laugh at me one last time?"

Keiji looked at her seriously. "No." His gaze turned towards Van. "Is this him?"

"Yes," Hitomi said quietly.

Keiji stuck his hand out and smiled and Van, "So you're the lucky guy." Van shook his hand, a little confused.

"Take care of my sister," Keiji told him, "She obviously loves you, so you better not be just taking advantage of her." He leaned closer and narrowed his eyes. "Or else."

"Don't worry," Van said looking straight back at him.

Keiji turned back to his sister.

"I know it may not seem like it right now," he said gravely, "But we all love you very much, Hitomi. And I'm sorry about what's happened here tonight."

At this Van looked at Hitomi. Her eyes were lowered to the ground and she was hardly breathing.

Keiji pulled her into a hug. "Take care of yourself," he said, his voice shaking slightly, "I'll miss you."

A tear slid down Hitomi's cheek as she held her brother maybe for the last time.

"I'll miss you too," she whispered.

Keiji let go of her and quickly ran his sleeve over his eyes.

He opened the front door and said, "You better go before the others come and you won't be able to get away."

Hitomi smiled gratefully at him and walked out the door and walked to the street gate.

"It was nice meeting you," Van said to Keiji. The latter nodded in agreement and smiled sadly.

They really do look alike, Van thought.

"Van, let's go," Hitomi called to him.

"Take care of yourselves," Keiji said before closing the door.

Van had to jog to catch up to Hitomi's quick pace as she walked down the street.

"Where are we going?" he asked once he reached her.

She sniffled and raised her head high.

"Home."

~

Van looked at his surroundings. It was all so strangely familiar…

I know I've been here before, but when?…yes! I remember! This is where I met Hitomi for the first time…

Hitomi looked around the old track. It really hadn't changed much since the last time she had seen it.

She had chosen this place as the best one to attempt to return to Gaea since it had worked twice before.

She breathed in the crisp winter air.

This is it. I'm leaving here…for good.

"Hitomi?" Van's voice broke through her thoughts. He took her hand in his and stroked it gently. "Do you want to tell me what happened with your family earlier?"

Hitomi shook her head.

"It doesn't matter, now," she said with determination. Besides I don't think I can deal with telling you right now." Her voice softened when she saw the hurt in Van's eyes. "But I promise I'll tell you when I'm ready."

"Now," she said turning from him and crouching down on the ground and tying her shoelace, "We're going to run."

Van blinked in surprise. "Run?"

"Yes," Hitomi said matter-of-factly. "That's how we're going to go to Gaea."

"We're going to run there?" Van asked, raising an eyebrow.

"It's simple," Hitomi looked up at him from her position on the ground, "Recalling all the times hat the column of light has appeared, I think that there has to be a very strong emotion or a physical exertion in order for it to appear, with the aid of the pendant of course. But added to this there must also be a strong desire. Not a wish that can be corrupted, but a desire, such as the one we have to return home," she explained. "So we're going to run."

Van hadn't really understood her logic, but had no alternative to offer. He shrugged his shoulders and reached inside his jacket, handing the pink pendant to Hitomi. She shook her head. "You keep it on. It's yours," she told him. "I want you to," she interrupted his protests.

Van smiled at her and placed the pendant back around his neck.

"We'll start here," Hitomi said, signaling her spot on the ground. Van crouched down next to her and they got into running position, side by side.

"Ready…set…go!"

They were off running together, hearts pounding, both sharing the same desire…

I want to return home.

Suddenly the pendant glowed and a column of light appeared before them from the night sky. When they reached it, it engulfed them and propeled them heavenwards. Van pulled Hitomi to him and kept her tightly pressed to him as they made their way to the place where their adventures began and their love blossomed…

DISCLAIMER: ::sigh:: I think the pills that the Big Nurse has been giving me are starting to take some kind of affect…I'm seriously beginning to doubt that I own V.o.E….::sobs hysterically:: all I own is the plot and the new characters!

So enjoy…::walks over to wall and proceeds to bang her head against it::

Chapter Ten-Return

As the column of light disappeared, Hitomi raised her head to look at Van. He smiled down at her and kissed her forehead.

"We made it," he whispered.

Hitomi pulled away from him and looked around at the garden in which they found themselves. Lush, green trees were everywhere and behind them, the Fanelian palace stood in splendor.

"Fanelia," she breathed.

"I am glad to see you have returned safely, your Majesty," a voice said from behind them.

Van and Hitomi whirled around and Hitomi instinctively held on to Van's arm as the figure stepped out of the shadows of the castle.

An extremely tall woman with long fiery orange hair, long violet robes and a slender staff as long as she was appeared into view. She had high cheekbones and angular features. Everything in her appearance rendered her long and slender and her air was one of confidence.

"Not only safely, but with a guest as well," she said bowing to both of them.

Hitomi looked from the woman to Van. He apparently knew exactly who she was.

"Ivonne, I would like you to meet Hitomi Kanzaki form the Mystic Moon," Van said.

Ivonne looked at Hitomi with an intense amber gaze. She did not seem surprised to know who she was. Ivonne bowed her head slightly as a sign of respect.

"Welcome to Fanelia," she said curtly.

"I-it's a pleasure to meet you, Ivonne," Hitomi said a little uneasily. This woman, though beautiful, did not give the slightest hint of being very friendly.

Van, sensing she was uneasy, took Hitomi's hand. Ivonne saw this and feeling her gaze, Hitomi slowly tried to slip it away but Van held on fast, signaling to relax. "Ivonne is my head advisor," he expalined. "She came to Fanelia about a month after you left."

"I foresaw your arrival and have been expecting you all morning, Lord Van," Ivonne said. "Sir Allen Schezar and Princess Millerna Aston and their company are here as well. They shall await you in the throne room as soon as you are ready."

With that, she turned and slipped away as silently as she had come.

Hitomi let out the breath she did not know she had been holding. Van squeezed her hand and smiled at her.

"A little intimidating, isn't she?"

"Yeah," Hitomi agreed.

"But she's wonderful. She has been of great help to me. She's a bit mysterious though," Van said.

"How so?" Hitomi asked, wondering how this woman could have possibly become Van's head advisor.

"She's from the Ispano Clan," Van said.

"The Ispano Clan!" Hitomi exclaimed, remembering the small creatures that had repaired Escaflowne years ago. "How could she possibly be--?"

"-That tall?" Van completed her thought. He shrugged. "I really don't know. I don't know much about her. She's very beautiful as you can see. She is also as old as time, from what I understand. She doesn't seem to age. As you saw her just now is what she looked like when I met her; not a rotation over thirty."

Van sighed. "Ivonne may not look it, but she really is a very compassionate person. She was of invaluable help to me in more than one occasion. Especially in matters in which you were concerned. She and Merle were of great comfort."

Van got a far away look in his eyes as he remembered those sometimes desperate times in which he thought he just could not go on one more day.

Hitomi couldn't help but feel a twinge of jealousy as she thought of how others were there to give Van comfort instead of her.

"Being as old as she is, her wise council I always like to hear," Van continued. "She makes more sense than the other elders of Fanelia. She possesses some kind mysterious powers that I haven't been able to fully understand yet. But I have come to depend on her influence on the rest of the council." He chuckled. "She can really give those old buzzards a whipping."

"How did she come to Fanelia?" Hitomi asked, steering the conversation in a more neutral direction.

"When she came, Ivonne explained that she had been sent by the Ispano Clan to help me. Due to the fact that I was a 'young, irrational' king in need of guidance, they believed that I was in need of an advisor so they sent her."

"But why just you? What about Chid? He's even younger than you and he is also running a country," Hitomi argued.

Van shook his head. "Chid had advisors and a people already there. All he had done was succeed the throne left by his father. I had nothing and had to start from scratch, in a manner of speaking. And besides, I think Ispano wanted to keep an eyes on me because of Escaflowne."

Hitomi nodded but before she could open her mouth to speak again, a familiar call stopped her.

"Vannnnnnn-sammmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hitomiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

All Hitomi saw was a flash of fur before she felt herself sprawled on the ground and her face being licked.

"EWWW!!!! MERLE!" she cried trying to get the catgirl off her.

"I'm so happy to see you! You're back! You're back!" Merle exclaimed clapping her hands in excitement.

Hitomi smiled, sitting up. "It's great to see you again, Merle. You look so grown up! Well, almost."

The cat girl narrowed her eyes at her friend but smiled slyly. In six years Merle had grown up. Her childish figure had developed into that of a woman and her face had undergone the same change, even though Hitomi could still see that impish gleam in Merle's blue eyes. Her fur, tat had been a surprise to Hitomi when she had first met Merle, was a honey brown color and the once fluff of pink hair was waist long and in a braid. Hitomi thought that Merle looked very much like Naria.

Van pulled Hitomi up from the ground with his free hand seeing as Merle had attached herself to his other arm.

Hitomi sighed and shook her head, chucking.

Some things never change.

~

Allen paced around the throne room where Ivonne had called Millerna, Serena and himself. Van had returned-she had informed them-and he had brought Hitomi with him. Allen, though not completely surprised, found that he had not been ready for this type of news.

He was very happy, naturally, but he still wasn't sure about his feelings. He had absolutely ruled out the possibility of his being in love with Hitomi---time had taken care of that. He couldn't believe that at his age, he still couldn't tell infatuation from real love. How ironic that Van, the impulsive, broody, hot tempered king of Fanelia, had known true love at his young age.

Love being out of the question, Allen's anxiety was lying in what Hitomi's return would mean, not only for himself but for all Gaea.

He looked over at Millerna who seemed to be making a point to avoid him at any cost. She currently had her chin in her hand and was looking intently at the wall, apparently fascinated by it's texture.

Allen rolled his eyes. He didn't know what he had done, but whatever the problem was, he could tell she solving it in the most mature way she knew.

She still acts like a spoiled child, he thought, looking at her trying to avoid his gaze, It was still cute when she was fifteen but now it's just ridiculous. And I thought she had matured. Sometimes I think that she and Dryden deserve each other.

He looked over at his sister who was sitting on the other side of the room. She was fidgeting with her hands and constantly fixing her dress and hair.

"Serena?" he asked, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm fine," she said, laughing nervously. "Relax, big brother."

"I think that's what you should be doing," Allen said, taking a seat next to her. Serena smiled faintly and cleared her throat, placing her hands in her lap.

"Don't worry, you'll get along great with Hitomi and she'll love you," he whispered.

She smiled gratefully at him, relaxing just a little.

Allen knew Serena was nervous about meeting Hitomi. After all, she was one of the few people that knew Serena's secret.

Therefore, Serena was nervous that Hitomi might not like her because she'd remember all the things she'd done as Dillandou. Serena was afraid Hitomi might blame her for all the suffering Dillandou had caused.

It must be hard to be Serena, Allen thought, watching as his sister arranged her dress for the fifth time in less than a minute, She's had such a tough time accepting herself and then trying to convince everyone else that she was all right. It's possible that of all those involved in that terrible war, she turned out to be the strongest of us all…

His thoughts were interrupted by Merle's approching voice blended with that of Hitomi's sparkling laughter.

Then door of the throne room opened and in walked Merle, hooked to Van's arm as customary, followed by the beautiful twenty one year old Hitomi.

"Allen!" she cried, releasing the grip on Van's hand as she rushed over to greet him.

"Hitomi!" he exclaimed as he met her half way and enveloped her in a warm hug.

That feeling of peace that her presence emitted made his smile as he held her. "It's so wonderful to see you again," he told her.

"I've missed you too," she responded.

Van couldn't help but feel his stomach churn. He knew that Hitomi could never love another but the sight of her with Allen… it awakened old feelings of jealousy and contempt towards the Knight of Calei. (B/N: yes yes Millerna's jealous too, blah blah blah…)

Allen caught sight of the darkness in Van's eyes, and therefore quickly let go of Hitomi.

"But I think he missed you more," Allen told her nodding towards Van.

Hitomi smiled. She had also caught the last trace of Van's jealousy and it made her want to laugh.

He cares so much…

She walked over and kissed the end of his nose. "Awww…that's sweet Van," she teased.

Van narrowed his eyes at her with mock anger, but she could see the laughter in his eyes, the previous incident being completely forgotten.

"Ahem."

"Oh my goodness!" Hitomi exclaimed, looking at the pretty blonde woman who had just stood up from a chair on the far side of the room. "Millerna-hime!"

Millerna approached Hitomi and gave her a heart felt hug.

"You look great!" they said in unison and then laughed.

"So how have you been?" Hitomi asked her old friend.

"Oh, all right. Father's been really weak lately and I've had a lot of responsibilities, but I won't bore you with all of that," the other responded smiling.

"And how's Dryden?" Hitomi asked a little hesitantly.

Millerna smiled and gave a quick glance in Allen's direction, "Oh, he's fine. Better than ever actually. He said he would come to see me soon in Austuria. I'm sure he'll be very glad to see you as well, so you must come to Austuria when he comes."

"What makes you think he won't come to Fanelia?" Merle asked a little indignantly.

Before Millerna or anyone else could respond, Allen took Hitomi's hand and led her to a young girl sitting in a chair near them who had not joined their group. The girl stood up and brought her deep blue eyes to meet Hitomi's emerald ones.

"Hitomi," Allen said dropping her hand, "this is my sister, Serena. Serena, this is Kanzaki Hitomi, of the Mystic Moon."

Serena nervously curtsied and was unsure of what to do.

Her mind was reeling. What does she think of me? She looked at Hitomi's shocked expression. Oh no, she hates me, I know it…Serena thought lowering her eyes to the ground.

Suddenly her head snapped up and her eyes widened in surprise. Hitomi was…hugging her! Tightly in fact. Serena didn't know what to do, so she just hugged her back. She looked up at her brother who was beaming at her.

I told you so… his eyes told her.

Hitomi pulled away from Serena with a gigantic smile on her face.

"I'm so glad to finally meet you!" she exclaimed. "I know we shall become good friends."

The way Hitomi smiled at her made Serena smile too. She felt safe, calm and best of all, accepted.

Sept. 12, 2001

I realize that many of you know what has happened here in the U.S. of A. and I just want to send my condolences to all of you living in New York and Washington DC and Pennsylvania…I sincerely hope that no one you know was involved in what happened…(unfortunately I did know a couple of people that are still missing)…it has all really hurt me in different ways and I feel as if they have really hit a sore spot (I live in L.A., but NYC is my home town…)

I know that many people are tired of hearing about all of this (I know I am) but I just want to say that I know that some people believe that when they find who ever is responsible they should be punished and I agree, however violence will only bring all more violence. So I just wanted to get my opinion out there and say that (however cliché it might sound)

Nothing will ever be the same….

DISCLAIMER: I own Escaflowne. I do. I swear. Really. I mean, it's only logical. Think about it: me owning Esca is just as true as the earth being flat, and the world being carried on the back of a giant turtle. You see this is what's true. What I don't understand is why people keep trying to tell me that all I own is the plot of this story and the new characters…

Chapter Eleven-New place, new faces

"When I go driving I stay in my laayyyne… But getting cut off just makes me insaaaiiine. I open the glove box reach inside, gonna wreck this *curse*er's ride…I guess I got a bad habit… of blowin' away! Yeah, I got a bad habit… and it ain't goin' away, yeah…"

Daliela sang along with the radio, drumming her fingers on the stering wheel of Hitomi's VW Passat while she waited at a red light. She would have taken her own 1968 Falcon but the Passat had a working heater.

She was transferring the last of her stuff from her apartment to Hitomi's. The place was techenically still under Daleila's name so she decided to move back in. It really made no sense for her to have two apartments, especially considering how Hitomi had called her and told her that she and Van probably wouldn't be coming back. So Daleila decided to get rid of the other apartment (which was a lot smaller) back into the one she originally had.

She pulled into the apartment building and quickly ran upstairs to drop off the box. She then proceeded to drive off to the city of Long Beach.

Half and hour later, she pulled into the driveway of her uncle's two story house.

Pulling out her keys, she opened the door.

"Hello?" she called, "Tio Horacio, Tia Vicky?"

"Que haces suficiente ruido para levantar a los muertos," her uncle hissed at her, coming out of the kitchen, "You should be more qiuet, when you enter a house, child. Your aunt is sleeping upstairs."

"Sorry," Daleila said blushing and hugging her favorite uncle.

He smiled at her at signaled for her to follow him into the kitchen where he handed her a cup of coffee.

"Gracias, Tio," she said.

The middle aged, pot bellied man took a seat on a stool in the kitchen and motioned her to do the same. He had kind eyes that always seemed to be laughing. He was Daliela's mother's older brother and Daleila had grown up with him and his wife, Victoria. They both had a great passion for life and family for them was the most important thing.

"So where have you been the last couple of days?" he asked her. "I called you and you never returned my messages. I was worried. I even called Hitomi. Por cierto, ¿qué pasa con ella? How has she been doing?"

Daleila smiled. She had brought Hitomi to her uncle's house as soon as she had moved to Los Angeles and the whole family immediately took to her, making her one of the family.

"Sorry if I worried you, but Hitomi and I had to leave to Las Vegas for a few days," Daleila explained.

Her uncle's eyebrows shot up. "¿Fuiste a Nevada? Why? Did something happen?"

Daleila smiled.

You have no idea….

~

"I only count the sunny hours, the brightest hours of day. I never count the gloomy hours. I let them slip away…" she sang.

Daleila wiped the sweat from her forehead and looked around her apartment with satisfaction. She had successfully moved all of her things back into her old room and placed Hitomi's in her old room. She plopped down on her soft bed, ready to drop dead, she was so tired. She had spent most of the morning at her uncle's house, leaving at noon to finish working on rearranging the apartment. She grabbed the remote on the bed and flicked on her radio.

"It's been a while since I could stand on my own two feet again…" it blared.

"And it's been a while since I've taken a good nap…" she improvised, yawning. She looked at her watch. Four-thirty in the afternoon. She could sleep for about an hour before she would have to go get ready for a date. She closed her eyes and tried to relax into sleep. Before she could fall asleep there seemed to be a bright light in the room. She got up to close the curtains to block out the afternoon sun when she caught sight of the column of blue light came right at her.

Her eyes widened in horror as she realized what was about to happen.

"Oh, shit."

~

Hitomi raised her hand to her head. A sudden wave of dizziness had swept over her.

"Hitomi are you all right?" Serena asked concerned, pulling her horse up next to her friend.

Merle had suggested that they all go riding while Van, Allen and Ivonne attended to business.

Hitomi nodded as they continued riding along. She smiled at Serena. "I'm fine."

"Now, don't start that again!" Merle called from in front. "'Why? Why can I see it?'"

Merle mocked Hitomi.

"Shut up, you dumb cat," Hitomi called back, using the same tone she used to.

Merle rolled her eyes and they rode on through Fanelia.

I didn't have a vision or anything, Hitomi thought as she led the horse on behind Merle's. But I can't shake that feeling like something will happen or has happened.

She shook her head. No, I'm finally where I belong and I'm happy. I'm not going to suffer here like I did the time before. Nothing has happened.

~

When Daleila awoke, she found herself sprawled on a wooden floor. She opened her eyes and as her eyes adjusted, she found herself surrounded by what appeared to be a half dog, half men. There were about half a dozen of them and they were all staring at her with curiosity, aggression and with a little fear. The weapons in their hands were ready to attack at any sign of a threat.

Seeing their aggression, Daliela's courage left her and she lost the ability to do anything but stare right back at them. Whoever and whatever they were, they were not expecting her there.

"Seirvi! Calcu ua,"[Come! Let me pass.] a voice said in a foreign tongue.

A young man stepped through from behind the strange dog-men.

Faran Tousandel looked at the young woman that had been dropped by the infamous blue light.

"Slisnok jolie?[Are you alright?]" he asked using the native tongue of the region. He took a step towards her and repeated the question. She scooted back away from him in fear, an inch up the ends of her hair were chalk white.

Faran frowned. She didn't seem to be understanding him. He called to one of the dog-men to come to him, giving him directions.

"Jalie, jenos olsavois vollok camese. [Jalie, tell the captain to change course]" He looked down at the frightened girl. Her unusual clothes gave away that she was probably from the Mystic Moon. "Selven jokelvoin ne lain. [Prepare a room for her as well.]"

Daleila's eyes were shooting back and forth between the dog-man and the human man with long violet hair. He seemed to be the one in charge but was speaking in a language she'd never heard. She wanted to ask where she was, why she had been brought, how could she find a friend. However, the ability to speak seemed to have left her. The stories Hitomi had told her flashed in her mind. Zaibach soldiers. Killing innocent people without thinking twice. People fighting and killing each other before asking questions. Sorcerers performing experiments on a young girl, turning her into a killing machine.

Her eyes flickered down to the sword the violet haired man was carring, then the spear-looking thing the dog-man had in his hand. Then she remembered how Hitomi said most people in Gaea feared and even hated anyone from the Mystic Moon.

Are they going to kill me? She shuddered at the horrific thought.

Her mouth was dry and the mortal fear that swept over her was making her dizzy.

Faran looked at the girl from the Mystic Moon once more. She looked scared out of her mind and her face matched the chalk white of the ends of her hair. Her dark brown eyes were wide and he saw then flicker down to his sword and then to Jalie's spear. He knelt down and moved to put a hand on her shoulder but before he had gotten too close, the girl fainted and he swept forward to catch her. He breathed a sigh of relief. Somehow he knew it would be easier if she were unconscious. He looked at Jalie as he picked up the slender girl in his arms.

"Go," he said in their native tongue. "Tell the captain to head for Fanelia. I'll go put her in a room and I'll need a messenger. I mean to alert King Fanel of our situation."

~

"Your majesty."

"Yes," Van turned to the messenger boy that had just arrived. "What is it?"

"This message has just arrived from a trade ship on the outskirts of Freid."

(Baracuda Note: Ha! How's that for speedy delivery? Better than overnight mail! UPS eat your heart out! ^_^)

"Thank you," Van said taking the note from the boy and dismissing him. He took the message and noted that it's sender was Faran Tousandel of the Tous lands on the far end of Gaea.

He quickly skipped over the pleasantries and read the real message. Faran was writing to inform him that he would shortly arrive in Fanelia due to an unexpected turn of events involving a column of blue light and an unexpected visitor.

~

Daleila opened her eyes to warm sunlight streaming in from a window. She blinked slightly and sat up sleepily. When her eyes came into focus, she was hit with a wrenching feeling in her gut. She then remembered how the blue light had come, the dog-men and the young man with violet hair to match his eyes. Her heart sank as looking out the window she saw the confirmation of her worst fear. There, the moon and the Earth hung in the sky…

Chapter Thirteen: Reunions

"Faran Tousandal of the land of Tous, requests a private audience with His Majesty," a messenger announced coming into the throne room where Van and Ivonne were discussing matters of state.

"Yes, I was expecting him. Tell him he may enter," Van said and the messenger disappeared into the hall.

"Ivonne," Van said addressing his advisor, "Would you mind going out and bringing Hitomi back here?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," Ivonne said, bowing out.

The young violet-eyed nobleman gallantly entered the throne room, bowing deeply before the king.

"Peace come to you, Lord Fanel. I am glad to hear of your safe return," he said.

This took Van back. How had Faran, or anyone else for that matter, known that he had been gone? According to the information he received form Ivonne and Allen, they had kept his disappearance securely under wraps.

Faran noted the confusion in the king's eyes. "I must confess, your majesty, that I have only today learnt of your disappearance and reappearance."

"Faran, you really must learn to just call me Van," he said, signaling for his to be at ease. "I take it that Serena and probably Merle informed you as soon as you got here," Van commented.

Faran nodded, "It was news to me. You must imagine their surprise to have me arrive. I don't think Merle realized she was talking so fast that she didn't make any sense."

Van chuckled, easily imagining the situation, "She has the tendency to do that."

"I was equally surprised to find them here. Last I heard, they were with Princess Millerna and Duke Chid in Zaibach. However, the news of your disappearance explained their departure. And don't worry, they know nothing of my real purpose for appearing here so suddenly."

Van was surprised that this young man had been able to read his thoughts so effortlessly. He smiled, saying in jest, "So did you tell them that it was just too much to bear to be away from your fiancée a day more?"

Faran blushed slightly at the mention of Serena. They had been engaged for a while, though Allen had protested at first, Serena had genuinely fallen in love and Faran could want no one but Allen's precious sister. Even after Faran had found out about her past, he was as dedicated to her as ever, making Allen eventually give the union his blessing. They were supposed to be married within a month.

Van smiled at the other man's blush and dropped the matter saying, "From your message, I understand that you came by something unexpected that brings you to Fanelia."

"Yes," Faran said seriously, grateful for the change of subject.

"You called for me, Van?" Hitomi interrupted by entering the room, Ivonne close behind her.

"Yes, I did," Van said, walking over and taking her hand, leading her to the center of the room. "Hitomi there's someone I want you to meet. Faran Tousandel, meet Hitomi Kanzaki de Fanel, my wife."

Hitomi couldn't help but smile at the way Van had presented her. She took the violet-haired man's hand and he kissed her wrist.

"It's a pleasure to meet the beautiful lady who has managed to capture his highness' heart," Faran said good-naturedly.

Hitomi blushed slightly and took her hand back. "It's very nice to meet you Faran."

"Faran is Serena's husband to be," Van informed her.

Hitomi's eyes lit up immediately. "Really? Well then come here and let me give you a hug!"

She hugged Faran quickly, much to his surprise. "You're the luckiest man in the world," Hitomi said with a giggle, "You got Allen to agree to let his sister go."

Van laughed when Faran blushed. "Faran is also here on business that I thought that you would like to hear."

Hitomi nodded and sat down in one of the chairs closest to her.

"Well," Faran began, frowning slightly, "I was on-route to Freid on some business when suddenly, in the middle of the ship, a column of blue light appeared and then disappeared."

"A column of blue light?" Van and Hitomi in unison interrupted, and incredulous tone in their voices.

~

Hitomi sped down the corridor, Van close behind her, practically running toward the docking areas where Faran's ship had landed.

"Daleila!" Hitomi cried as soon as she caught sight of her distraught friend.

"Ahhh!" the latter squealed.

The two ran to embrace each other, happy to see each other again. Daleila's hair was sparkling blue as she hung on to her friend's neck, both jumping up and down, laughing and crying at the same time.

Van was now standing beside them. Daleila noticed, saying, "Don't just stand there, your highness, get over here already!"

Van smirked and scooped both of them in his arms, picking them up slightly off the ground.

Daleila kissed them both and they all finally fell apart from each other.

"I can't believe you're here…"

"How did you get here…"

"Did you do this…"

They all started talking at the same time. They laughed, realizing the ridiculousness of the situation.

"I thought I'd never see either of you again," Daleila said finally, wiping a tear from the corner of her eyes. "But just look at me, I'm falling to pieces! You don't even know how happy I am to see you both," she continued, taking each of their hands in hers.

"I can imagine," Hitomi said, pulling with her free hand a lock of blue ended hair.

"But," Daleila said turning serious, "I don't think I'm supposed to be here…" she looked beyond her two dear friends to her surroundings.

"Don't be ridiculous, Daleila," Van said, "You're family and as such you are welcome here."

Daleila's eyes focused back and locked with Hitomi's.

I don't want to be here, Hitomi read in them. As much as I want to be with you and Van…I want to go home…

Hitomi embraced her friend.

"I don't know what's happening but we'll figure it out," she told her. "And I promise to do anything I can to help you."

"Thanks, Tomi," Daleila responded.

Van turned in time to see that they had been followed by Ivonne and Faran, the latter wearing the smirk of a child that had given his older brother the best gift in the world.

"Daleila," Van said, turning back to her, "You are now in my world. You taught me so much about your world, it's time, my sister, to return the favor."

He took her hand and led her over to where the others were standing. "Lesson number one," he whispered to her, "When they bow to you and kiss your hand, try not to gawk. It's bad manners."