Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Back To Nowhere ❯ old friends ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Back To nowhere
(a post Vision of Escaflowne fan fic)
authored by: bluegreen13

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
*disclaimer* all characters belong to the creators of v.o.e. If you don't recognize him/her, the character is obviously mine.
*a/n* send all comments to alex13@emptymail.com. everything is welcome. self insertions, anything. also plese review. even criticisms will do for me. i hope you like my story!
*previously* in the prologue, hitomi has a 'dream-vision' concerning gaea. in chapter one; back again, hitomi comes back to gaea for the third time. . .
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"A STAR SHALL FALL FROM THE SKY. . .
. . .A KINGDOM IS AT RISK. . .
. . .A GIRL. . . THE MYSTIC MOON. . .
. . .FATES WILL BE DECIDED. . .
. . .AS THE WHEELS OF FORTUNE TURN. . .
. . .EVENTS WILL REPEAT. . .
. . .ESCAFLOWNE SHALL RISE AGAIN. . .
. . .AND SO SHALL THE DEAD. . ."

--->
chapter two: old friends

By nightfall the next day, all of the expected guests had arrived. They had all hurried, anxious to see Hitomi.
Van had ordered for a grand feast. A large gathering. This was, after all, for his soon-to-be wife. For two days, Hitomi had smiled at all the preparations being made, mostly keeping to herself. She was usually engaged in a conversation with Merle, which was pretty surprising since during her earlier stay at Gaea, the two of them didn't get along at all.
It was from her that she found out that Millerna and Dryden had married again and were ruling Asturia, as King Aston had passed it over to them.
"Millerna, I think" she said, "has learned to really love Dryden. At a certain level, I think she has forgotten Allen. That or she has finally realized that what she had for Allen was only infatuation."
Her sister, Eries, who was the second, and older than Millerna, had foregone the crown and was happy living a quiet life. She also found out that Celena was a really sweet girl who loved her brother very much. Not at all like her pyromaniac alter-ego, Dilandau.
"She hardly even remembers being him now," said the chatty cat-woman. "But she's very strong. And even boyish sometimes."
Merle said that Celena had not yet developed a certain likeness for men, but that she was "always radiant when Gaddeth is hanging out with her."
"They don't know it yet," Merle said giggling, "but they have a thing for each other."
Hitomi was glad that all her friends were happy and leading nice lives.
---
All her friends were glad to see her back in Gaea. Millerna and Dryden looked like a very happy couple. Millerna was wearing an elegant dress and had her hair tied up in a bun. She looked much more refined now than before. Maybe it was because she was now queen rather than only a princess. It was announced that bight that the two of them were "expecting."
Duke Chid, who now ruled Freid, was giddy young man, in his early teens. When he entered the room, Hitomi looked at Allen's face for his reaction. She was among the few who knew that he was Chid's real father. As expected, Allen looked extremely proud and happy.
Gaddeth had quickly headed over to seat beside Celena and Hitomi could see what Merle was talking about.
"Hitomi," Millerna greeted her with a simple hug.
"Millerna," Hitomi smiled. "I see you are queen now."
"Yes," Millerna chuckled. "Happily married and expecting a healthy baby."
Hitomi could see her happiness reflecting in her eye. *I wish I could be as happy as her* The thought just crossed her mind.
"I like your hair," Millerna complimented her.
Everyone seemed to do that, compliment her hair.
"Thank you," she said. "Your hairstyle has also, ummm, changed. Its nice"
"Oh this is nothing," Millerna shrugged. "After my second marriage with Dryden, I just decided to wear it this way."
Hitomi smiled at her.
"Come, let's sit down and have a talk," Millerna led her towards the nearest vacant seats.
"Why? Aren't we talking yet?" Hitomi asked cheerily.
"Oh you know what I mean," Millerna smiled.
Hitomi looked at the older woman. It was strange to think that she used to feel very awkward around her because of jealousy. Because of Allen. But now, neither of them ended up with him.
"May I ask you something personal?" Hitomi said biting her lower lip.
"Go on," Millerna said.
"About you and Allen. . .what happened?" she bit her lip again.
"Oh Allen," Millerna said, smiling. But it was a bitter smile. "We tried. . .or at least I tried. It wasn't until a year after the Great War that I realized it wasn't going to work. Almost all of her free time is occupied by his sister. And then Dryden came back. He really did find himself on that journey he had. I learned to love him. . ."
"And Allen, did you really forget about him?" Hitomi asked.
"Oh Hitomi, you should that feelings don't really go, you don't just forget. And you don't really just forget your first love," Millerna smiled at her. "Here you are, all grown and a woman now, yet you still have a lot to learn. I do still love Allen. There will always be a large space for him in my heart."
"And you really love Dryden?" Hitomi asked.
"Yes, Hitomi. I love Dryden and this baby with all my heart, more than anything else," Millerna smiled.
"But is it possible to love with all your heart one man, remember, but still be able to love another man?" Hitomi whispered.
Millerna didn't seem to hear. But before she got up, she whispered into Hitomi's ear.
"Hitomi, you just need to follow your heart. Fate will help you."
*Yes, Fate,* Hitomi bitterly thought. *But even that could be controlled*
Hitomi went on to find Van. She really needed to talk to him. She wasn't eager to leave but. . .
---
Allen searched the room for Hitomi. Hitomi, the Girl from The Mystic Moon. It surprised him to think that only some time ago, she was but a little girl. But now, she was a grown woman. And soon to be Queen of Fanelia. No, Van hasn't formally announced it yet, but word was out that he was going to that same night. Besides, Van told him.
Allen sighed. She did love Hitomi. He even offered her marriage. Yes she loved him. She felt it that night at the bridge, even though it was only the work of the Fate Alteration Machine. But he knew hew will never love anyone as much as he did Marlenbe.
*Right,* he thought, *the pains of first love.*
And yes, he did love Millerna. She loved her for herself not because of her sister. But still, she always reminded her of Marlene, and that was all too painful. That was why she spent his free time caring for Celena.
"Hitomi!" he called out.
He had just seen her.
"Oh Allen," Hitomi looked disappointed.
"Hey, aren't you happy to see me?" Allen teased
"No, it's not that Allen, its just that--"Allen cut her short.
"It's just that you were looking for Van?" Allen's left eyebrow arched.
"Sort of," Hitomi, said, slightly blushing.
"Well, he's over there," Allen smiled, pointing at the direction where Van was.
"Thanks Allen," Hitomi smiled.
*They really do love each other* Allen sighed.
Hitomi had Van; Millerna had Dryden; Marlene is. . . gone; Sooner or later, Celena will find someone. Pretty soon, he was going to be alone. . .
---
Before Hitomi could reach Van, he motioned everyone to silence.
"Everybody," he started with a smile. "I want all of you to meet Fanelia's future queen. . ."
*No!* Hitomi thopught. *I'm leaving soon! I can't be his wife and be on Earth at the same time!*
"Hitomi Kanzaki!" Van smiled brightly at her.
There was nothing else she could do but smile back.
The next chance she had to talk to him was after the gathering. They went to the garden together.
"Van, there is something I need to tell you," Hitomi said softly.
"What is it?" Van smiled down at her.
There was a moment's pause. She can't bring herself to speak. Not after Van expected her to become his wife.
"What is it?" Van repeated.
"Van, I'm- i'm-i'm," she couldn't say it. "VanI'mleavingsoon."
The last few fords came out in a rush.
Van's eyes widened.
"What?!"
"Van, I was sent here for a reason," Hitomi began.
"Yes! You were sent here to be queen! To rule Fanelia with me!" Van argued.
"No Van, that's not it," Hitomi said.
"What?! You come here, making me think that you love me! That you want to stay--!" he couldn't continue.
"But I do love you!" Hitomi's voice was rising. "And I do want to stay!"
"Then why don't you?!" Van cried.
"Because, I can't Van," Hitomi said. "Because I can't,"
"What do you mean you can't?!"
"Will you please listen to me!" Hitomi said.
"I am listening!"
"Well then stop shouting!"
"Why are you here Hitomi? Why?" Van looked confused. He was clearly trying to hide his emotions.
"Van, do you remember a dream?" Hitomi asked.
"I have many dreams!" Van snapped at her. "Do you expect me to remember them all!"
"Don't be like that!" Hitomi said, feeling a bit uneasy. "It was a dream. I was telling you something. . ."
Van was quiet.
"A star shall fall from the sky. . . a kingdom is at risk. . .a girl. . . the mystic moon. . ." Hitomi's voice trailed off.
"Fates will be decided. . .as the wheels of fortune turn. . .events will repeat. . . Escaflowne shall rise again. . .and o shall the dead," Van whispered. "Yes, I remember."
He spoke with no feelings, he was still a bit pissed off by Hitomi. That made Hitomi feel even more uneasy.
"Well, I don't really know what it meant. All I know I that something id going to happen. Something will happen to bring the fall of Fanelia for the second time," she said.
"That's why you need to stay here!" Van exclaimed. Tears were slowly trickling down his cheeks. "Don't you see? A girl, the mystic moon. It's you!"
"No Van," Hitomi shook her head, this was hard for her. "There will be a girl, but it will not be me. And if I am that girl, well then, I will come back. But not just now, Van."
There was silence.
"Hitomi," Van whispered.
"What is it, Van?" she asked.
"I don't know," Van said, "I think--I think I only wanted to hear myself say your name. . ."
"Oh Van," Hitomi touched his hand. "I don't want to leave with you angry at me."
She looked into his eyes.
Van kissed her. She kissed him back. And there was the bright light.
"I love you!" Van called out, as the white light surrounded Hitomi and carried her up.
Hitomi was back. It was her room. And that was when the beautiful white feather came fluttering down.
"I love you too," she whispered, crying.

To be continued. . .