Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Dilandau's Revenge ❯ Home ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6: Home
The Crusade settled in for a landing not far from the two guymelefs. Vulcan stood up and waved at the airship to show he was all right. Beside him, Celena also rose and stared at the airship with wide eyes.
“That is Allen's ship,” she murmured.
“Yes, it is,” Vulcan responded. He glanced at her, wondering if Dilandau was going to come back to the surface. They had been chatting all morning, waiting for the Crusade to arrive. It had been an odd conversation. In one breath, he would be speaking to Celena, and in the next, Dilandau would answer him. But neither Celena nor Dilandau seemed inclined to either flee or fight. They both seemed tired; drained by the battles and the driving need for revenge. Perhaps physical exhaustion was finally starting to overwhelm the emotional turmoil within.
Vulcan was not surprised when only Allen, Gaddes and Amano exited the Crusade to approach them. No doubt Allen was concerned about exposing Celena to too many people before he knew her emotional state.
“I'm glad to see you're both all right,” Allen said as soon as he reached them. He smiled at Celena. “I was very worried about you, Celena.”
“I'm sorry, Allen,” Celena said gravely. “I didn't mean to worry you.”
Allen studied her face. “Is it over now? Will you finally be able to put all this behind you?”
Celena combed her finger through her hair. The gesture was quite feminine, but the eyes that returned Allen's gaze were Dilandau's. “We don't know if the scientists were killed in the explosion at the Citadel.”
“No, we don't,” Allen said quietly. “We may never know if the people responsible for what happened to you have paid for that crime. But is it worth more lives trying to make sure?”
“I swore to kill them all.”
“Dilandau swore that. And some certainly will have died. But innocent lives were lost, too. I think it's time to stop.”
“Yes.” Celena touched Allen's arm. “Vulcan said it is time to go home. Will you take us home?”
“Yes, that's why I'm here. Come.” He took Celena's arm and led her toward the ship. “Gaddes, will you load the Scheherazade?”
“Sure thing, Allen.”
Amano leaned close to Vulcan and whispered, “So is that Celena or Dilandau, now?”
“It's sort of both, I think,” Vulcan answered. “I mean, they're both still in there, and sometimes one answers and sometimes it's the other. It's really weird.”
“That is weird.” Amano frowned. “But doesn't that mean that Dilandau could just take off again?”
“I don't know. Maybe.” Vulcan started toward the Escaflowne. “But while we were talking, it seemed like they'd achieved a kind of balance. Maybe that's the best Allen can ever hope for: sort of a cooperative schizophrenia.”
“But doesn't that mean Celena will always be insane?” Amano asked in confusion.
“I think her mind is too damaged for her to ever be completely sane.”
“That's too bad.”
“Yeah. I'm going to put the Escaflowne back in the hanger. I'll see you inside.”
“All right.”
Once both the Scheherazade and the Escaflowne were parked safely in the hanger, the Crusade lifted off and set a course for Fanelia. Vulcan couldn't help feeling a little excited. They were going home.
“The sooner we get out of Zaibach territory, the better,” Allen said.
“At maximum speed, we'll clear the border in two days,” Gaddes reported.
“Good. I'm going to check on Celena.”
“What do you think will happen to Celena, Gaddes?” Amano asked after Allen had gone. “Won't people treat her badly because of what she did?”
“Well, people have a lot of respect for Allen in Asturia, and frankly, I don't think anyone cares about what happens in Zaibach as long as they don't start another war. She'll probably be all right.” Gaddes smiled at Amano. “But what about you? You've changed quite a bit since coming with us. You've grown up quite a lot.”
Amano beamed proudly. “Thank you! This has been a very exciting experience. I'm glad I wasn't just a burden.”
Gaddes gripped Amano's shoulder for a moment. “You were not raised to be a burden, Amano, and you've lived up to your father's expectations. You have every right to be proud of yourself.” He tapped Vulcan on the shoulder as well. “You both do. You made the difference for us, and I know Allen is grateful.”
Vulcan exchanged a large smile with his little brother. Receiving praise from someone as experienced as Gaddes was praise indeed.
“I'm glad our father allowed us to come with you,” Vulcan said. “I've always had misgivings about becoming king of Fanelia one day, since the killing of dragons was outlawed. I wasn't sure how I would be able to prove, to myself as well as the rest of the kingdom, that I am fit to serve. Now I feel… as though I don't have to prove anything. Does that make sense?”
“It makes perfect sense,” said Gaddes. “You've learned to believe in yourself. A good king needs self-confidence as well as intelligence. I'd say you have an adequate measure of both.” He grinned at Vulcan and Vulcan grinned back.
Amano punched Vulcan lightly on the arm. “As long as you don't develop a swelled head, too. I'm pretty sure a king doesn't need that.”
Vulcan laughed. “I'll keep that in mind.”
“Do you think Mother and Father will notice a change in us?”
“I'm sure they will, Amano.” Vulcan put his arm around his brother's shoulders. “We aren't the same boys who left Fanelia. And I think the changes are for the better.”
“I bet Chief Samurai Sesston will still say my attacks are too reckless.”
“Probably. But with your reflexes, I think he might have to concede that for you, it works.”
“I can't wait to get home.”
“Me, too.”
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
Allen knocked on the door of Celena's stateroom and paused briefly before opening it. Like all of the Crusade's staterooms, which Allen reserved for guests, it boasted a narrow bed, a table and two chairs, a washbasin and stand, and a small porthole. Celena sat at the table with her hands folded neatly in front of her, staring toward the porthole. She turned to look at Allen as he entered.
“I'm not disturbing you, am I?” Allen asked.
Celena shook her head. “No. I'm not doing anything.” She sighed. “It seems odd to be doing nothing.”
Allen pulled the second chair around to the opposite of the table and sat down facing Celena. “You'll feel better when we get home, but we'll be stopping in Fanelia first to drop off the Fanel boys.”
Celena's eyes sharpened and Dilandau spoke. “Fanelia?! King Van will try to kill me. I destroyed Fanelia the last time I was there.”
“That was a long time ago,” Allen replied.
Dilandau leaned forward. “Van will not have forgiven me. Thousands of Fanelians died.”
“You can stay on board the Crusade. Van won't try to kill my sister if he's not brought face to face with Dilandau.”
Dilandau sat back. “Do you think he will care about Celena's life if it means ending mine?”
“Van is my friend. If I tell him that Dilandau is gone, he'll believe me.”
Dilandau chuckled. “Can you honestly say that?”
Allen reached out and touched Dilandau's hand. “Van doesn't need to see anyone but Celena. You understand that?”
Dilandau gazed back at Allen in silence for several moments. Then he dropped his eyes and put his other hand on top of Allen's. “It's deception, Allen,” Celena said softly. She looked up and met Allen's eyes. “And too many people know the truth. It would be wrong to lie to Van. He will know who we are.”
“I want you to have a chance at a normal life, Celena. It's not too late for that. I won't accept that it's too late for that.”
Celena smiled sadly. “I can never have a normal life, Allen. I did too many cruel things in the past for people to forget.”
“That was Dilandau,” Allen whispered.
“We are the same person,” Celena answered gently. “And I'm not aging like other people. I will always remind people of the person I was. I am grateful to you, Allen, for wanting to help me and for giving me a second chance. But we can't expect everyone to forgive me, no matter what made me the way I was. I am Dilandau.”
Allen lowered his head to hide the tears in his eyes. He could still see the innocent child Celena had been in the woman before him, but the half-crazed monster that was Dilandau was still there, too. Which one of them was in charge now?
“We're done with killing, Allen. We won't look back.” It could have been Celena or Dilandau who spoke. The echo of both could be heard in those words.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
It was a fairly large party that rode out to meet the Crusade. Two dozen samurai, led by Chief Samurai Sesston himself, escorted Hitomi, Van, Bethany, Yukari, Darvi and Merle as they made their way out of the city into the wide meadow where the Crusade was coming to rest. Hitomi was both excited and afraid, wondering what they would find when the Crusade's passengers finally disembarked. She wanted to believe in her boys, but the mother in her couldn't help worrying.
“There they are!” Yukari cried and Hitomi was flooded with stark relief. Vulcan and Amano came bounding down the ramp ahead of Allen and several others. Hitomi dismounted and hurried forward, but Van still beat her there. He clasped his sons in a firm embrace, kissing each of them on the cheek. Hitomi smiled. Van was obviously feeling very strong emotion or he would never display such affection publicly.
But Amano quickly disengaged himself to wrap his arms around his mother's waist. Hitomi had to reach up a little to put her arms around his neck. She hugged him tightly.
“I think you've gotten taller, Amano.”
“Really?” He kissed her cheek. “I missed you, Mother, but I can't wait to tell you everything that happened. It was so exciting.”
She kissed him gently. “I imagine it was.”
The rest of the family crowded around excitedly, doling out hugs and words of praise as Van turned to greet Allen.
“How did it go?”
“We were successful,” Allen replied gravely. “Thank you for sending Vulcan and Amano with us. Their assistance proved invaluable. They helped me recover Celena.” Allen reached out to clasp Celena's arm.
Van frowned as he studied Celena's face. “Is it Celena?” he asked frankly.
“Well…” Allen began.
Celena put her hand on Allen's where it rested on her arm and interrupted him. “I won't let Allen lie about me, Van. I am Celena, but I am Dilandau, too.” She bowed her head slightly. “I offer my apology for my past crimes against you and your people.”
“It is difficult for me to accept an apology from you.”
“I understand,” Celena replied gravely. “I was created to kill and that's what I did. But I choose not to kill anymore. There is no other way for Dilandau to make amends.”
Van nodded slowly. “I can accept that.” He glanced at Hitomi and Hitomi nodded, too.
“You may credit your son Vulcan for helping me onto this path,” Celena continued. “Meeting him was something of a… catharsis for me.” She smiled at Vulcan. “He resembles you, King Van.”
Van and Hitomi both started. It might have been Dilandau speaking.
“If you'll forgive me,” Allen said, “I wasn't planning to stay. I think it will be safer for Celena back on our estate in Asturia.”
“Are you sure, Allen?” Hitomi answered. It was an awkward situation. Whether they could forgive Celena or not, there were many people in Fanelia who hated the very existence of Dilandau. It probably would not be safe for her here.
“I'm sure.” He released Celena's arm and stepped forward to clasp Hitomi's shoulders. Looking up at him, Hitomi was reminded that he was still one of the handsomest men she had ever seen. “I'll come back another time for a proper visit.” He kissed her cheek.
“Please do,” Hitomi returned the kiss on his lips, ignoring Van's annoyed frown.
Allen turned to Vulcan and Amano. “Gentlemen.” He held out his hand. Vulcan clasped it and Allen shook his hand firmly. He did the same with Amano. “I am indebted to you. You are a credit to your family and your kingdom. It has been an honor working with you.”
“Thank you.” Vulcan and Amano exchanged half-embarrassed smiles.
Allen turned back to Van. “You've raised some fine young men here, Van. Thank you for lending them to me.”
“You're welcome.” Van smiled fondly at his sons.
“I'd better get the Escaflowne,” Vulcan said. He hurried back up the ramp.
“I'll get our things,” Amano added and he ran after his brother.
“I suppose we should wait until you're back in the air before we ask them what happened,” Van said casually.
Allen grinned. “I'd appreciate it. I'd rather leave remembering Hitomi's kiss instead of the tongue-lashing I'd likely get when she hears what I let them do.”
Hitomi lifted an eyebrow at him.
“In my defense, let me just say ahead of time that I brought them home in one piece with no significant scars.”
“Significant scars?”
“Every man should have at least a few scars.”
Hitomi folded her arms under her breasts. “Maybe you should stay for a while after all.”
“I think I'll just escort Celena back on board.” Allen looped his arm through Celena's and started back up the ramp. “I'll visit you next year. Promise!”
Van waved. “Until next year.”
Hitomi looked at Van. “You're just going to let him leave.”
Van put his arm around her waist. “I sent my boys with Allen and he brought two men back. I became a better king because of a war waged by Dilandau. Now the same thing has happened to my sons. It's all sort of symmetric. Anyway, no matter what happened, they have come home alive and unharmed, so I'm willing to give Allen the benefit of the doubt.”
“Still…”
“And don't forget,” Van put his lips close to her ear and whispered. “I took you into battle with me when you were sixteen years old. Did you ever mention that to your parents?”
“Well…” Hitomi flushed.
“Let's take our sons home and let them tell us about their adventure.”
Hitomi sighed. “I think this is the part of children growing up that all mothers fear.”
“What?” Van chuckled. “Admitting they are adults who can decide to do dangerous things? I thought you got over that with Yukari.”
“I don't think I'll ever get over it.”
“That's because you love them.”
Hitomi put her arms around his neck. “As much as I love their father.”
Van smiled and kissed her warmly.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
Dilandau woke suddenly. It was dark and for a moment the room seemed unfamiliar. Then he remembered. This was Celena's room on the Schezar estate in Asturia. This was his home now. Their home. Dilandau sat up. Faint light shone through the sheer curtain covering the window. He got up and went to the window, pushing the curtain aside. Silvery light from the setting Mystic Moon glimmered on the grass and trees outside. It was peaceful and beautiful.
The stark contrast to Dilandau's early memories of humming machines and horrible pain for a moment sent his pulse racing.
“It's all right,” Celena murmured. “That is the past.” She lifted her hand and opened the window, letting the cool night air flow into the room. “This is the present.”
The chill air soothed Dilandau's pounding heart. He leaned on the windowsill and looked up at the night sky. “I never have to fight again. I never have to kill anyone again.”
“That's right,” Celena agreed. “Allen will always take care of us and we'll always be together.”
Dilandau smiled. “And I'll never be alone again.”
 
~~ The End ~~