Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon's Bait ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Escaflowne belongs to Bandai and all other respective owners. The actual novel Dragon's Bait belongs to Vivian Vande Velde.

A/N: In honour of the Spring Equinox (today Friday, March 21st) I bring you this lovely chapter for your enjoyment.

You're just a guest that cannot leave.

You're just a guest that cannot leave.

You're just a guest that cannot leave.

The words haunted Hitomi. They swirled and tumbled in her mind. She could hear Van's mocking voice as she muttered them over and over to herself. "Cannot leave........guest that cannot leave. Guest, prisoner, there is no difference."

Hitomi screamed in exasperation. "WHO THE HELL DOES HE THINK HE IS?" Hitomi inhaled sharply and then, pausing to regain her composure, she exhaled slowly. Deliberately she slowly inhaled through the nose, held the breath for a second and exhaled through the mouth. She repeated the process a couple of times trying to control her anger. It was no use, Hitomi was agitated. She threw the covers off of her bed and walked to her bedroom window. The sky was a hazy gray and she could just make out the midnight gray silhouettes of the soaring dragons. Hitomi inhaled again concentrating on the crash of the waves and placed herself in a semi-hypnotic state.

Hitomi found herself in Fanelia once more. She walked the cobblestone streets of the carefree city. Children ran by her laughing as they chased each other down the winding streets. Women hung there wash from windows calling across the street to their neighbors next door, sharing gossip freely. Hitomi felt content and at peace.

A warm breeze ruffled Hitomi's hair and she signed in contentment, losing herself in the simplicity of rural life. Then the air turned deathly cold and Hitomi shivered involuntarily. A shadow stretched across the city and the mood shifted maliciously. Gone was the idle gossip of cheerful house wives only to be replaced by harsh and whispered rumors.

"Armies in the north."

"That foolish boy getting himself killed, a failure to his country."

"And where is our king?"

The sound of hooves ricocheted off the whitewashed walls of the Fanelian houses. Shutters slammed and the sound of keys in locks echoed through the deserted street. Once again Hitomi saw the red eyed maniac astride his midnight stead. The General and his Slayers rode through Hitomi and she stared at horror at the blood and fire that followed in his wake.

Yet again Hitomi's vision was distorted. She was nauseous as the world tipped and swirled, until it righted itself up again. Once again she saw the image of Dilandau fighting a mysterious opponent. She squinted, trying to bring into focus this last obscure scene in her vision. He looked familiar and yet she couldn't place it. Dilandau lifted his sword and then smiling in triumph thrust his sword deep in his opponent's chest. In that moment Hitomi's vision was perfectly clear and she knew who the mysterious opponent was.

"Van!"

Hitomi was pulled out of her vision by the soft sound her bedroom door closing. She open her eyes and stared down at her hands. Her knuckles were white from gripping the window still. Once again she tried to slow down her breathing, desperately trying to calm her frantic heart.Hitomi tried to gather her thoughts. Why this vision? Why now. What does it mean? Hitomi's hands were throbbing and she stopped her mussing long enough to realize she was stillclinging to the window sill. Gently she tried to open her hands but the would not co-operate. Hitomi focused her energy and willed her fingers on her right hand to left go of the sill. Then ever so slowly she pried her left hand off. Slowly Hitomi began to flex her fingers, working out the pain of her stiff joints. She felt calmed as her mind worked meticulously at flexing her aching fingers.

Feeling composed she turned to stare at the door, curious as to why it had opened minutes before. Her gazed turned to the mahogany table by the door. On top of it lay her deck of tarot cards.

Quickly she made her way to the end table and picked up her cards. They were old and worn, having been passed down through the female line of Hitomi's family for generations. Hitomi brought the cards to her face, they were cool and rough to the touch. The faint smell of highland wildflowers tickled Hitomi's noise. She could vaguely smell the lingering sent of herbs and the potent smell of the cedar that Hitomi burnt in her fireplace. For a moment Hitomi was overcome with home sickness. She closed her eyes clearly picturing Yukari during the Purple Moon festival, villagers coming to her hut to have their fortunes told, reading tea leaves for star-crossed lovers. For a moment lost in her memories Hitomi relived the joys of village life, and then she remembered what they had done to her.

Sighing Hitomi placed her tarot cards back on the table. She crawled into her bed and gathered the silk sheets from where she had strewn them before. Trying to push her unhappy memories aside Hitomi concentrated on the crashing sound of distance waves as they lulled her to sleep.

* * * *

He was no where in the castle. Hitomi screamed in frustration. "Damn it, where is he?"Her voice bounced down the empty corridors. After dowsing with her pendant, to no avail, Hitomi made her way to the dining room. She was mildly annoyed to find breakfast waiting, but was to hungry to be angry for long. After filling up on fruit and bread with jam she found herself once again at the main doors.

To leave, or not to leave that is the question. Hitomi was very concerned about the danger outside the walls.She longed to explore the island. Van was obviously getting of somehow, most likely by boat, and Hitomi was determined to discover it. Hitomi was also equally determined to get of the island alive.

Cautiously Hitomi stretched her senses beyond the door. She could feel the dragon's awareness, their wariness and their hunger. No, Hitomi thought I think today would be a good day to stay in my room.

It was early evening and Hitomi had just started a reading to discover where Van was, when she sensed his return. Hitomi quickly gathered her cards up and slipped them into her pocket. Hitomi could feel Van's presence to the left of her door and she quickly hurried down the hall.

"Van?" she called, when she felt his presence waiver.

And then more anxiously, "VAN!"

Hitomi came to a dead halt when she saw the deep crimson blood staining the floor.

A/N: We'll it has been a while. This chapter was more of a review of what's happening and to set up the next chapter (which will be out VERY soon). Have a fabulous Spring Equinox everyone! I look forward from hearing from you all. *hint, hint, cough, cough*Email me ladyequinox@hotmail.com, add me too your MSN, review, or do all three. (Liking the last option myself)