Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Paths of Destiny ❯ Insidious Formations ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

"Are you there?"

"…Can it be? How could he…"

"I don't know. None of them do either - and there's no real hint of what he's planning, save for the target."

"I should have known. He must have had a hand in everything…"

"She knows what she's doing, then. Do we regret those times?"

"How can we? The consequences would have been dire. Nevertheless, she's planned ahead well - her choices, while…interesting, seem more complex than we'd thought of - this could be interesting."

"What of the embodiment?"

"It will endure. I assume the old ways will work?"

"I hope so. Those creatures assured me so when they checked - the young one is unaware of me still. You must reach me soon - I feel his taint, and without you all may be lost already…"

"Quickly! This way!" Allen shouted behind him as he ran through the palace. Servants and soldiers alike were panicking madly around him, racing erratically through the corridors in blind fear to escape the chaos outside. Amano and Asano kept up as best they could, taking care not to crash into the various people rushing in the opposite direction as Allen led them further into the labyrinthine palace.

The three eventually ran into a large, open hallway, with wooden walkways strung across the top of the cavernous room. To Asano's eyes, the room seemed to stretch on endlessly with seated Guymelefs - not like Van's white, pristine armour, but dented, ancient-looking contraptions, worn away with use. The green `Melefs had no lustre, save for their cloaks which, although running threadbare, were bedecked with beautiful designs and pictures marking out each individual pilot's Guymelef. People were running everywhere - technicians, their hands full of bizarre contraptions unfamiliar to Asano, were rushing around in an attempt to steady the Guymelefs that were near to falling over following the blasts outside, while teams of doctors and nurses carried those they had been able to rescue alive from outside on stretchers towards impromptu beds set up around the hallway.

Allen strode down the corridor purposefully, the sound of his sword at his belt lost amidst the general chaos. Without time to stop and stare, Amano and Asano followed him swiftly.

The blonde knight stopped in front of one of the great war machines, which seemed to be ignored by the commotion about him. The head of the Guymelef was mounted with a three-pronged golden crest, an aged and cracked Energist stone lodged at the centre, although the surrounding gold had been polished to the highest degree possible.

Emerald-like gems were set into the thick shoulders, and a bronzed grill covered the helmet's face. Although the other Guymelefs Amano had seen along the way had been surrounded by wooden platforms and lifts for hoisting pilots up to their cockpits, this was bare of any clutter - indeed, so unobtrusive as to be almost unnoticeable.

Allen stopped in front of the Guymelef, then turned back to Asano and Amano. "This is Scherezade," he said calmly, showing no signs of fatigue from the fast paced journey, "fair Asturia's protecting warrior. Born of ancient tales of lore, she was the only Guymelef ever to withstand the Samurai Balgus before his death at the hands of Zaibach. Once, she was the figurehead of Asturia's army - now, she belongs to me.

"Understand this - as dear as this is to me, I will never allow anyone to harm Hitomi, or my sister. Even if it means the destruction of this proud emblem of Asturia, I will never sway from this. You would both do well to act similarly to protect those you care for.

"Open the gateway behind Scherezade. I must face these winged women for my honour - and even they shall not stand against the might of a Guymelef. I must board now."

Taking a small step backwards, Allen tensed, and then launched himself into the air from his right foot. Amano gazed in wonder as Allen leapt high into the air, somersaulting gracefully before landing softly in the lap of Scherezade. Allen made some kind of nigh-on imperceptible hand gesture, and moved back as the frontispiece of the Guymelef whirred loudly. The front first opened up sideways, and then lengthways, the helmet grill grinding upwards to allow room for Allen to slot himself in.

Asano marvelled at the innards of the Guymelef. A complex system of gears and wheels seemed to run the machine, and there seemed to be no evidence that the Energist was in use. Allen fastened himself into the uncomfortable looking seat inside Scherezade, slotting his arms and legs into the receptacles, before tapping a pedal with his left foot.

As the whole contraption began to close up again, Amano found a plank barring what appeared to be the gateway Allen had spoken off. Wrenching the plank away, the wall blew inwards as the raging maelstrom outside was released into the hallway.

Asano shielded his face from the wind with his arm as Amano rushed out of the way of the hulking machine. The sound of crackling lightning echoed dimly through the hall from the attack outside as attendants stopped to stare at Scherezade.

With a creak, Scherezade began to rise to its feet with some effort, the pressure making the floor vibrate. In a move surprising given its size, Allen turned the Guymelef on one foot gracefully, turning it towards the open gateway.

The helmet grating slid up to reveal Allen's face, eyes intent on the storm outside. "Get to safety somewhere!" he shouted above the pelting rain. "There is naught else you can do now!" Scherezade began to stride forward, the grill moving back into place as the enormous machine made its way outside.

Asano, looking up at the imposing back of the Guymelef as it made its way outside through the roaring din of the storm, turned to Amano. "We can't just do nothing! I'm going with him - there's got to be some way to help!"

"Are you mad?" Amano almost shouted in exasperation. "Stop!"

Asano paid no attention, and rushed out into the storm after Allen, shouting "Too late! Think about Yukari!"

Amano looked exasperated for a moment, before sprinting after him. He didn't really want to be left on his own anyway, and Asano was right - what would Yukari think? She was already acting fairly strange around this Allen character - at least Yukari had chosen someone good-looking to lust after instead of him, Amano mused. Catching up quickly with Asano, they raced on after the hulking Guymelef and its pilot, trying to think of what they could do now.

"I can smell the outside!" Merle's nose twitched as she sniffed at the damp air. She led the girls through the dark, claustrophobic passageways using her feline senses to hopefully guide them out of the labyrinthine walkways.

Eries had explained that the passageways were constructed in secret by King Fensarc, who had preceded her family's ascension to the throne by three generations. An oppressive dictatorship had been forced upon Asturia by Fillen, at that time the chief warlord of Basram, who had conquered the fledgling country which had only recently become independent from the remainder of the continent. Fensarc, together with a small band of Doppelgangers who had defected from the Basram army in search of some peace, had secretly hollowed out passages inside the thick stone walls of Fillen's stronghold in Palas - which later became the royal family's castle. The Doppelgangers, by using their unique powers to blend in with the walls, could observe every movement and machination by their enemy's generals, and effectively crushed the dictatorship in a series of swift battles - and the grateful people quickly crowned Fensarc. However, racism had turned the tide of opinion against the Doppelgangers, and they continued to spy on Fensarc while siding with his enemies as mercenary troops until - or so Eries' story said, but she doubted it was true - King Fensarc received advice to construct a huge statue of Jeture, the guardian spirit of the waters, with a polished diamond representation of the jewel popular myth said calmed the waves for those faithful to him. The legend stated that once the sun rose on the completed statue, the diamond refracted the rays of light around the city in a dazzling display of brilliance. When the light cleared, the Doppelganger spies found their true forms revealed to an astonished crowd, and were set upon by the enraged people or escaped back to their tribes in shame. What surprised many was the sudden disappearance of Fillen from Basram at this time - though the inexplicable insanity that affected those who had collaborated with him caused them to spout nonsense of a horrific monster leaving Basram secretly that day.

"I could never stand Doppelgangers. That hideous smell, and so unreliable - that Zongi was a pathetic wretch…" Dilandau's voice muttered unpleasantly in Celena's mind.
"You killed him!"

"We killed him, remember? He had outlived his usefulness, if I remember."

"That's an excuse to kill someone?" Celena tried to concentrate on walking onwards, distracted by the debate in her head. "Why can't I get rid of your tainted opinions?"

"Because they are yours, too, Schezar. Shouldn't you be grateful anyway? I saved you from those winged freaks in Fanelia. You'd be dead if I wasn't here, wouldn't you? Besides, I'm not so bad really, once you get used to me."

"I don't know how you got let out of whatever mental cage you were in," Celena whispered to herself fiercely, "but I can handle myself. I can use a sword - why, I could even pilot a Guymelef if Allen would let me, but - "

"Don't make me laugh, Celena. If it wasn't for me, you'd be some useless little noble in a skirt, giggling inanely at some vapid brat's attempts at flirting. It's only fair that you have a turn on the outside - but remember, I'm still here for the time being. It's been fun - we'll talk later."

As Dilandau fell silent, Celena glanced behind her furtively, to see Yukari staring quizzically at her. Giving her a stony glare, Yukari jumped and cast her eyes to the dark ceiling guiltily in an attempt to look blameless. Ashamed, Celena strode on ahead to catch up with Merle, casting glances back at Yukari as she went.

Yukari fell back slightly as the pathway widened enough to allow her to walk alongside Hitomi. Checking to see that no-one was eavesdropping - Eries walked behind them, lost in thought - she whispered in Hitomi's ear worriedly.

"What do you think Amano and the others are doing?"

"Hopefully helping Van - that idiot! What's he doing? He could get himself killed!" Panic washed through Hitomi's voice in a harsh whisper.

"Calm down, Hitomi! You've been in enough situations like this before, I'm sure it'll be fine."

"But even if Van's okay, what about Amano and Asano? He's put them in danger too!"

"It'll be fine. What would they think if they could see us being so pathetic and wet? Besides, Asano seems to be able to take care of himself after all - and I know Amano, he's hardly likely to do something stupid." Pausing briefly, Yukari added "I hope."

Hitomi forced a smile. "It's always my fault these things happen. I'm sorry, Yukari."

"Don't be!" Yukari laughed, causing Celena to look back at her once again. "This is a lot more fun than watching you make a fool of yourself at another track meet!"

"Young lady," Eries warned sternly, "This is not some grand adventure - this is a matter of life and death. Do not treat the plight of our nation so trivially."

"Sorry, Your Majesterial Wonderness." Yukari giggled mischievously.

"There!" Merle pointed excitedly, before crouching on all fours and setting off at a sprint. "I can see the way out!"

"Come on! We've got to get out of here!" Hitomi pulled Yukari along with her as they ran towards the brightening light.

Scherezade strode forward quickly, as Allen steered it expertly towards the courtyard towards the front of the palace. Although there had been little cause to use Scherezade in the few months of peace since the war with Zaibach, Allen had supplemented his income from his post as Magister in a series of gladiatorial bouts, making sure his piloting skills were not underused. Twisting his arm round, he forced Scherezade to grab onto a pillar, spinning round into the courtyard with Amano and Asano following close behind.

Allen stopped to survey the extent of the damage. The hordes of winged women above him seemed to have laid waste to much of the infrastructure of the palace. The roof of the living quarters for the noble classes had caved in, and Allen could see women diving inside to search - presumably for Hitomi - as their wings dissolved in a stream of red liquid behind them as they landed. The courtyard itself was in ruins, and a lone woman hovered in the middle, seemingly lost in concentration.

Asano was astonished by the destruction, and stared around at the devastation in awe as he caught his breath. "Oh my God…" he murmured, "What did they do?"

Amano, however, needed no such recovery time after a sprint, and quickly spotted a lone figure in a red shirt sprinting towards them from the opposite side of the courtyard. Between him and Van lay the enormous Guymelef that Hitomi had awakened earlier that day, seemingly free from the destruction around it.

"Van!" he called, waving fiercely. "We're here to help you!"

Van appeared oblivious, bent on avoiding the charred bodies and debris around him as he sprinted towards Escaflowne. Asano was about to shout to him, but a movement above him caught his eye as he saw Leah extend her finger while saying something inaudible above the howling wind. Seeing lightning begin to crackle around it, Asano screamed "Watch out, Van!" jumping around hysterically. "She knows you're there!" However, the wind drowned out everything, and Van continued to run in the open regardless of the danger.

"It's hopeless! He's going to get killed!" Asano looked wild, his hair flapping in the gale as he turned helplessly to Amano.

"I've got to save him," Amano said, his eyes grim with determination. "or we'll die too."

"What can you… no, don't be ridiculous! You'll never make it!" Asano caught hold of Amano's arm in an attempt to stop him, but Amano brushed him off ineffectually as he began to race towards Van. "She'll kill you too!"

Amano heard none of this, nor Allen's frantic shouts from inside Scherezade, as he sprinted through the raging winds that seemed to change direction and force against him. Grimly he pushed on, seeing lightning burst forth from Leah's finger as he ran faster and faster to reach Van.

Van looked up for a moment to see Amano racing towards him, still wearing his athletics clothes, his entire concentration focused on reaching Van. The young king stopped running in confusion, and turned as he heard the crackle of lightning to see Leah's lightning bolt bearing down on him. Astonished, he remained rooted to the spot in shock, not thinking to attempt any escape from certain death.

Amano, however, did not notice Van's hesitation, and ran headlong into the younger boy, shouting "Get down!" as he did so. Both teenagers crashed to the floor, as Leah's lightning bolt struck the ground where Van had stopped only moments before.

"What!" Leah's scream of outrage sent psychic shockwaves through her fellow Atlanteans. "Triumph was here - its caress enfolded me! Another rupture in fate's fabric has made me fail once more!"

As Leah vented her fury above them, Amano stood up, panting from the sprint and leaving room for Van to dust himself off. "Sorry about that," he quipped, smiling slightly, "I didn't look where I was going."

"Thank you, Boy from the Mystic Moon." Van re-adjusted his scabbard and wiped a smear of dirt from his face. "Now it is my turn to save you."

"Another with no course of fate!" Leah seemed calmer, a sly smile playing across her lips. "I should have anticipated such resistance. And you've brought some playthings with you as well, I see!" With one beat of her wings, Leah somersaulted in mid air to face Allen inside Scherezade, the Guymelef's sword set in a blocking position to absorb any attack. "You believe these mechanical monstrosities will stop us? Such impertinence! Did you truly think that such an action would not be predicted? You truly must not understand our power! Sisters!" she cried, her hands raised to the murky heavens above, "The time of Asura is at hand!"

At this signal, the Atlanteans above placed their hands together in prayer en masse, closing their eyes and concentrating as their necklaces shimmered ever bluer. The storm clouds began to funnel into a dense, churning vortex with Leah at its centre, spinning ever faster. As Asano stared at the unfolding scene, Amano tugged at him forcefully, pulling him to the side as the cyclone of cloud began to focus tighter on the Queen of the Atlanteans.
"Van!" Allen cried over the roaring winds, "get inside Escaflowne! You'll be cut to shreds by the wind!"

Van nodded, and clambered up the iridescent leg of the Guymelef. He placed his hand on the red gem that housed the Energist heart of Escaflowne, which shimmered slightly, obscured by the clouds that were descending around them. With a short whir, the frontispiece sprang open, allowing Van to leap inside and reach the controls. As he placed his arms and feet into the holds inside, pieces began to move into place - his arms extending to reach handles, a buckle whirring across his chest and clicking into security with a whir - before the front of Escaflowne once again enveloped him.

The swirling clouds suddenly descended en masse from the sky, blotting out any view of the courtyard save tiny pinpricks of blue light from the Atlantean's necklaces, which soon faded themselves into nothingness. Leah's insane laughter was the only sound that could be heard, echoing from the centre of the swirling darkness as winds whipped savagely at Amano's athletics clothes.

Slowly, the winds began to drop, and the black clouds gradually began to fade away. As what light there was started to filter through once again, Van peered through to see what had happened, before catching his breath suddenly.

Leah and the Atlanteans had disappeared from the courtyard entirely. Yet in the centre, Van saw an enormous, liquid creature rearing up on two blood-red legs that dribbled fluid onto the floor, seething and bubbling where it touched the stone.

The creature seemed completely disproportionate, somehow balancing on short, stumpy legs while its long, tapered forelimbs swung wildly in erratic triumph, flinging more of the corrosive fluid with them. It appeared to have no eyes, as most of its body was just a swirling clump of ooze that seemed to constantly shift in shape to accommodate the limbs. As Allen gazed in horror at the monstrosity, a gaping hole appeared in what might be the "head" of the creature, spraying liquid everywhere that hissed as it flew through the air.

"See the power of Asura, the Spirit Protector!" the voice of Leah, with a chorus of countless other Atlanteans providing an insidious background, uttered triumphantly. "The entire focus of Atlantis in one single entity, whose command over fortune is absolute!"

"What the hell is that thing?" Amano stared up at "Asura" uncomprehendingly. "We're doomed!"

"Not if I can help it!" Allen roared, before spurring Scherezade into a charge towards the foul creature.

"Time to die, Gaian!" The "mouth" of Asura closed up as one arm flung a ball of ooze towards the advancing Guymelef.

Allen reacted quickly, causing Scherezade to whip its sword down in time for the ooze to miss and splatter into the wall, fizzing as it ate through the antique architecture. With a stride forward, Allen brought his sword up in a sweeping motion to slice through Asura deftly.

As the sword swept through the body of Asura, liquid flowed around the sword as it passed through, leaving the creature completely unscathed. Shaping an arm into a piercing point of liquid, Asura thrust forward at Scherezade's uncovered midriff, its torso flowing forward to provide some balance. There was no way that Allen could react in time to prevent the Atlantean creature from impaling Scherezade.

Van, anticipating such a move, stepped in quickly, bringing his sword down with a yell to attempt to cut through the stabbing arm. With a squelch, the point was shorn off to dissolve into bubbling liquid at Escaflowne's feet, while the remainder of the arm snapped back towards Asura.

"Thank you, Van." Allen called with relief. "It seems I am becoming rusty in my old age."

"No time for modesty, Allen." Immediately, two cordons of liquid sprang out from Asura's body, whipping through the air and lashing at the two Guymelefs, sweeping them off their feet.

Allen concentrated hard, before pushing his left hand behind him in a wrenching motion that caused sparks to fly inside Scherezade's cog system. The Guymelef reached out to steady itself as it fell to the floor, enabling Allen to block the jabbing attacks of the whip-like tendril that swung out at him.

Van, meanwhile, was knocked completely to the floor, desperately covering Escaflowne with its sword in order to defend it. As Asura concentrated on attacking Allen, Van deftly jammed Escaflowne's sword into the stone and used it to force the Guymelef onto its feet again. Wincing with pain, he glanced down to see a slight gash in his leg where Escaflowne must have been chipped - remembering his symbiotic relationship with the Guymelef, Van gritted his teeth and charged again.

"Where are you, Dragon?" Asano thought to himself bitterly as he stayed back from the fracas in front of him. "If you can do that once, you can do it again!"

"Do not think I am some tool, boy." The deep voice of Hudor rumbled inside Asano's mind. "You cannot tell me to help you - you merely serve my purpose."

"If they die, I die, and you probably go with me."

"Normally, I would not care so much. Nevertheless, I have some…interest in a successful endeavour here."

"Thank you. What can I do?"

"Nothing - there is no time for you to learn now. Let me help…"

Asano lost himself completely in the swirling feeling that engulfed his mind. As he walked uncomprehendingly forward from the safety of the side of the courtyard, Amano reached out to hold him back, before letting his arm drop in futility.

Asura, its tendrils concentrated on the two Guymelefs, stopped attacking for a moment, turning its limbs to ooze that thickened as they wrapped themselves around the two machines. As Allen and Van struggled to free themselves from the hardened liquid before it began to eat through to their cockpits, Asura redistributed its mass to direct itself at the lone figure dwarfed by it.

"We meet again, strange one." Leah's voice sounded almost puzzled. "How does one wield such strange powers?"

"Your false heritage is evident, Queen." Asano's voice rang out in the echoing courtyard. "You shame the Atlanteans even further, with only the taint of the fallen to guide you. Such a brilliant gift was abused by your master, and now he is reduced to sending half-rate minions to reach his ends. Who do you think I am, oh Queen of the Atlanteans?" No fear showed through in the teenager's manner, the deep blue eyes defiant and strong.

"It matters not to me! We shall obliterate you - for without a destiny, you are nothing!" The mass of Asura caved in completely on itself, the disgusting red liquid cascading down towards Asano in a furious rampage as he stood firm in the face of death.

As Asano moved his hand in a circular motion in front of him, a globe of water formed around his body, cocooning him in a rippling flow of liquid. As Asura bore down on him, Asano closed his eyes and flicked his hand out sharply. The globe of water exploded outwards, catching the viscous form of Asura inside it and flinging it piecemeal across the courtyard.

The blue colour faded from Asano's eyes as he slumped down, exhausted.

"Forgive me, I am not strong enough to keep this up for long enough." The voice of Hudor echoed tiredly through Asano's mind. "To free my brother would kill me - I am afraid that all is lost."

"Lost? Why? That thing is destroyed, isn't it?"

"Look, boy!" Asano raised his head wearily to see the globules of liquid flowing back together as the form of Asura re-congealed messily, pieces oozing together with a horrific sucking sound.

"Impressive, young one!" Amusement tinged Leah's compliment. "However, one cannot err from the path of destiny. Now you shall all die - including those women you sent elsewhere!"

"What!" Allen was dumbstruck.

"Our mastery over fate is absolute! We have simply led the foolish cat creature to us here - and we shall take the Wing Goddess from your pitiful carcasses!"

Indeed, as she spoke, Asura raised one globular arm and indicated to where Escaflowne and Scherezade were trapped, as Eries, Merle, Yukari, Celena and Hitomi walked out from a doorway in the wall behind them in confusion.

"How did this happen?" Merle whimpered in fear. "My sense of smell is never wrong!"

"Now you are gathered as one, it is time for your fates to be fulfilled!" Asura's left forelimb swung up, forming into a gleaming scythe of red that swung down from high above to kill.

Sora stood alone in her room, considering the words of the mysterious voice in her mind. She wondered whether she had simply become insane, and lost all sense of reason - but she thought that the voice had been too real to be a simple illusion. She had never had cause to listen to anything save her song before, finding enough pleasure in singing to not even consider the thoughts of there being other songs.

Considering this thought further, Sora calmed herself, attempting to empty her mind of any concerns, and listened.

At first, all she could hear was the sound of her own breathing and heartbeat, which began to annoy her. Shaking her head to clear her annoyance, she began to concentrate again, closing her eyes as she opened herself up to sound.

Suddenly, a huge rush of sound hit Sora, causing her to gasp. The gurgling bass of death as men screamed in fear, and a jagged chord as lightning struck around her, made her open her eyes.

Sora found herself standing in the midst of a strange, open place, the floor as stony as the one she was accustomed to. Looking up, she cowered as a vast expanse of darkness stretched out above her infinitely. So this is the sky, she thought to herself.

The girl turned, and the world seemed to speed past her as she did so. She found herself floating in the sky above the same stone landscape, looking down on a scene of destruction.

Trying to listen despite her pounding heart, Sora heard the harsh slash of something inhuman slicing through the air with murderous intent, and felt fear wash over her in a sickening wave. Overcome with horror, Sora screamed in fear.

As the scythe swung down, a sudden sound pierced the air - a high pitched, continuing note that cut through the atmosphere like a sharp knife.

Stopping mid swing, Asura began to writhe in agony, thousands of voices moaning in pain at the sound. "That sound tears at our souls! Stop that noise!" they screamed, the vast mass of the creature dripping erratically. The liquid that bound the two Guymelefs flowed away, dissolving into nothingness as voices screamed in terror from the putrid ooze.

"How can we?" Hitomi listened in awe at the sound - which she thought was the most beautiful voice she had ever heard in its purity and clarity. As the others stared around in confusion, Hitomi gazed up at the sky to the source of the sound.

In the air, Hitomi saw the figure of a girl, possibly around her own age yet seemingly small. Her pale face was offset by long, cascading hair that tumbled down around her feet past the long, flowing white dress she wore. Even as her face was contorted in a scream Hitomi was struck by the innocence that shone out from the girl, and a strange feeling of familiarity.

"Do I…know you?" she asked herself quietly.

The girl stopped screaming and looked utterly frightened, staring at Hitomi. As soon as she had appeared, the girl suddenly vanished from the skies above Hitomi, the pure note echoing in the wind.

As soon as the sound stopped, Asura began to flow back together, fiercely boiling as if enraged.

"We must escape, quickly! Climb on to one of the `Melefs - Celena, can you carry Asano?" Allen quickly took charge of the situation while there was time.

"Got it." Celena ran over and ungraciously hoisted the semiconscious Asano over her shoulder. "No time for pleasantries, Asano," she said grimly as she headed swiftly to Scherezade.

Van and Allen strode away as quickly as possible across the ruined floor, carrying the remainder of the group. "Where can we go?" Van asked breathlessly.

"Let's get out of the city now - while there's still a city to escape from." Eries still retained her regal bearing, despite the destruction of her home. "We shall rebuild what we can when we return safely."

"May that day come very soon, Princess." Allen was pensive as they raced away. "Very soon indeed."

Hitomi looked back over her shoulder as they left, to see Asura begin to fall to pieces once more, faced with another loss of their target. How long could they keep running from this unstoppably powerful force, she wondered, and was it really worth it?

Sora opened her eyes in a cold sweat, gasping for breath in panic. What had she just done? She had acted directly on a situation - she had actually been there when that hideous creature had tried to kill those people, and had done something to stop it.

What frightened Sora the most, though, was the girl who had seen her and spoken to her. Sora knew, as soon as they met eyes, that she was the one she had been watching for so long - both as the girl whose song had intrigued her, but also the one that Venal wanted - the Wing Goddess.