Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Refugees and Kings ❯ Like Waging War Against the Stars ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Refugees and Kings
 
Chapter One: Like Waging War on the Stars
 
In which one young girl sets out to start another war.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Escaflowne. The original characters, however, are all my ideas (with some naming help from my beta, thank you!). I'd be flattered if you sued, but please don't.
 
--------------------------------------------
 
It's all Fanelia's fault.
 
A new river had been created in the open country side of Freid, one made out of human bodies. They choked the roads when they walked and trampled the ground in massive circles when they camped. The guards complained constantly that there were too many of them. Too many of them to notice one single girl that pushed her way out of the massive line.
 
Alexandra staggered off the side of the road, choking on the dust that had been rising in the air around her for days. Unconcerned about the stains the trampled grass would leave on the tails of her jacket, she dropped to the ground to clutch at her boots and her aching feet underneath. The boots had once been of the highest quality, constructed by some of the finest artisans in Zaibach, but they had never been designed for this kind of work.
 
And Freid and Asturia are feeding like vultures on a fresh kill.
 
Trying to bite back a whimper, Alexandra eased off her shoes to inspect the damage. Two more blisters had burst. And if she didn't start moving again soon one of those blasted guards would be around to “help” her along. Tears burned threateningly in Alexandra's eyes as she replaced her boots and hobbled back to her feet.
 
Fanelia did this to me.
 
The girl slowly waded back into the stream of human bodies. A random violent shove to the shoulder banished her tears and made her grit her teeth. She had to hold her head high. She would bear this pain just like the-
 
Alexandra's head jerked around at the realization and she hastily surveyed the line of other refugees filing past her. She had lost the professor again.
 
“Professor?!” Alexandra once again rushed out of the ranks and plunged ahead as best she could while limping and stumbling through underbrush.
 
A sign of so much energy had become like a sin among her fellow refugees and she immediately attracted attention. Some people even shouted as she passed, throwing jibes and curses.
 
“Now, now. You'll only tarnish that pretty skin!”
 
“What's the matter? Eager to get there first to the slaughter?”
 
“Bloody apprentices.”
 
Alexandra ignored them, too focused on trying to find the professor to pay any attention to fools who had once been like dirt beneath her feet. Not more than a week ago they never would have dared speak to an apprentice in the laboratories that way.
 
An animalistic shriek was the first sign Alexandra had of the danger. Not far off the road on the slopes of the nearby ditch, a group of guards had formed a circle around their victim, laughing and jeering. Nuada was lunging this way and that in the circle, trying to break free and making noises that barely sounded human. The professor was a wisp of a woman, her skin stretched and rubbery with frail-looking bones protruding underneath. Normally the woman could move with the grace of a gentile lady. These curs had her stumbling about like an invalid. Alexandra went blind to everything else.
 
“Get away from her!” she screamed.
 
The guards looked up from their sport. One of them turned away from the professor and leered at Alexandra as she ran towards them. “Look here, boys. Like a chick trying to protect the nest.”
 
He was no different from anything else Alexandra had encountered in her new life on the road. For once, she forgot to think of the danger. “Can't you see she's sick?” Alexandra cried and foolishly pushed her way in between the men, trying to grasp hold of the professor's hand. “She doesn't know what she's saying!”
 
I'm helpless now but I swear I'll always remember each and every one of your faces.
 
“Off of me, Zaibach,” one guard snarled, shoving her aside. Alexandra fell with a sharp cry as her wrist twisted beneath her. This time she didn't bother getting up.
 
In a moment it all came flooding in front of her eyes as though she were back in the besieged city. Distantly Professor Nuada was shouting orders to follow close.... Others were screaming in the distance as the soldiers broke through the last few city gates.... And then the dagger edge flashing out of nowhere over her head..... She never imagined anything could hurt as much as the frayed edge of a severed nerve.
 
Alexandra stared at her shaking hands, wondering if they were really hers. She held them up for the professor to see and her lips mouthed silent questions. Are those really connected to me? What's going to happen to us now? When can we go home? But all that came out of Alexandra's mouth was a rasping, breathless laugh.
 
“What's wrong with her?” a younger guard demanded, unable to conceal the quaver in his voice.
 
“Can't you see she's sick?” Professor Nuada cackled in a mockery of Alexandra's earlier words. “Can't you see she's sick?! Sick, sick, sick!”
 
Apparently it had been enough to scare them off. Alexandra didn't hear the men leave. She was too busy trying to regain control of her breath. All she knew about the world outside her body was that the professor was somewhere nearby. For that she was grateful. It meant she didn't have to worry about the woman running off to provoke another group of guards.
 
The professor started pacing like a tigress in a cage despite the fact she stood on open ground. The woman's eyes gleamed the same way they had ever since Alexandra had regained consciousness, watching her until Alexandra was sure she would collapse beneath the weight of the woman's gaze. “Where were you?” Professor Nuada snapped.
 
Alexandra studied her warily. She had come to the conclusion days ago that although Professor Nuada's knowledge was perfectly intact, her reason had crumbled along with the walls of the Imperial Academy of Zaibach. Nuada had never been young, in her early forties at least, but the war had turned her hair shock-white and made her face sag with new wrinkles. She didn't even seem to notice that her big toe was sticking out of her ragged shoe, bruised and scraped beyond identification.
 
“I apologize,” Alexandra said flatly. “I didn't mean to get separated. But why do you keep picking fights with the guards?”
 
“Dornkirk himself assigned me to my position. I am an instructor of the third class at the Imperial Academy! I demand greater respect from those- those mongrels!” the professor shrieked to no one in particular, shaking her hands at the sky and collecting the blank stares from their fellow refugees. They knew, if Nuada didn't, that she should have been speaking in the past tense.
 
“Please Professor. You can't say things like that anymore. You can't let them know who we were,” the words burned Alexandra's lips, made her want to chew out her tongue and spit it out onto the ground, but she knew that keeping their identities secret had become a matter of life and death. The gash lining Alexandra's forearm, still puckered in stitches and discolored, was proof of this.
 
She had been lucky enough so far to only receive one of the many favors the Freidan military was handing out to people from the former Zaibach Empire. She saw people every day who were much worse. People who bore wounds of the mind like the professor or people who would likely be dead in a few days from physical ones. Once, Alexandra might have tried to help these others. Now she barely felt she had enough sympathy for herself.
 
Alexandra had been wounded on the first day of the fighting, during the civilians' desperate retreat behind the walls of the inner capital. It had become apparent to Alexandra a half a day later that the gash was infected but supplies had dwindled during the siege and there was hardly enough fuel to keep people warm, let alone heat water to clean it. Alexandra had watched the discoloration of the infection increase dispassionately, no longer caring whether it took her life or not. She slipped into fever on the second day. When she woke, she found herself among the vast lines of urban refugees being driven like cattle, eventually to be sold as serfs and peasants in the Freid country side.
 
Professor Nuada had been the one to tell her everything. The Imperial Academy destroyed. Emperor Dornkirk dead. Alexandra would never be able to serve in any of his laboratories. They were already five miles away from what remained of Zaibach's glorious capital with many more to go.
 
“Please,” Alexandra said, keeping her tone reasonable even though her hands were shaking with her fury. “You'll get yourself killed.”
 
And I still need you.
 
Professor Nuada rounded on her suddenly and Alexandra was barely able to keep herself from flinching. “You! Zaibach is our home. How can you disgrace it like this? Are you really so spineless a student?”
 
Somehow, Alexandra held the woman's gaze this time. “You know that isn't true.”
 
Please. I need you to teach me what you know. You are all I have left. You are my only chance to learn.
 
The professor snarled something incomprehensible and went back to pacing. Alexandra took this as a sign that it was safe to stand up and approach. She sighed inwardly as she was met with the now familiar ache inside her boots.
 
For now I still need you. But once I don't anymore, you are welcome to do whatever you want to yourself.
--------------------------------------------------
 
If someone had suggested to Alexandra a month ago that she, an imperial apprentice, would someday be lined up and looked over for sale like a farm animal, she would have been tempted to laugh or spit in that person's face for the insult. Now that same pride was all that kept her standing.
 
The guards gave them crumbling pieces of hardtack and occasionally there was some kind of broth, but there was barely enough for everyone. Alexandra's stomach gnawed at her insides and her head got lighter and lighter until the only thing holding her to the ground was the drills on the alchemy tables the professor had given her.
 
“Lead, saltpeter, quicksilver....” Alexandra trailed off, frowning. She couldn't remember the answers anymore. She wasn't sure if she'd ever need to remember these things anyways. For all she knew, she would never be anywhere near a laboratory ever again. The thought made her stomach hurt worse and this time not from hunger.
 
We have to stay as close to Zaibach lands as possible, the professor's instructions whispered in Alexandra's thoughts. It's all up to you now.
 
She could hear Lord Ganix moving down the lines, asking curt questions and every once and a while turning to the slave merchant to say he would buy that one. Some individuals he chose struggled and fought, but most trudged into the lord's town in a passive daze. Alexandra tried to block out the sounds, the faces of people she had known back in the capital, some of them desperately trying to stay together with their families.
 
The girl kept her eyes carefully downcast until the lord's shadow fell over her. Lord Ganix regarded her with sharply angled face and jaw that looked like it had been beaten with a hammer repeatedly in his youth. The man wore a fine linen surcoat over light chain mail and he stood with his hands held behind his back in the military style as he examined her. His pepper gray hair stuck to his head in pasty clumps. Alexandra looked up into his broken face and knew immediately that she despised him.
 
“She's a pretty one, eh?” the slave merchant trailing behind said but Lord Ganix only gave him a cold glance.
 
“What trades do you know?” Ganix asked her abruptly, his bright eyes skeptical.
 
“None, my lord.”
 
“What? Not sewing, weaving?” Alexandra gave a small shake of her head and Lord Ganix snorted, “What kind of female are you? Don't tell me Zaibach was training their women to fight.”
 
“No, my lord.”
 
Ganix turned on the merchant, his face dark. “What is she doing among the skilled workers then? I already told you I don't need anymore unskilled labor. Perhaps I might find I don't have the time to look over the rest of your stock.....”
 
“No, no, Lord Ganix. I can assure that all the merchandise has been sorted correctly.” The merchant's apologetic smile disappeared when his gaze fell on Alexandra. “Quickly girl, tell Lord Ganix your skills.”
 
Alexandra had to struggle to find her voice. Stock? Merchandise? She might as well have been a pot or pan. “I can read and write.”
 
“Bah,” Ganix started to turn, losing interest. “What use is Zaibach reading and writing on my estate?”
 
“Including Zaibach, Asturian, and the new Fanelian scripts,” Alexandra continued on in a safe monotone as though Lord Ganix had not interrupted her.
 
“Fanelian?” Ganix's eyes narrowed sharply.
 
“I am also proficient in geometry, astronomy, and simple medicines.” Alexandra failed to mention that she also knew how to whip up an acid that would eat right through Ganix's armored boot.
 
“I'll take her.”
 
The merchant beamed. “Excellent, my lord. I'm sure we can agree on a fair price. Now, this next one-”
 
“Please m'lord,” Alexandra stepped forward out of line before her chance was gone and that blasted merchant decided to interfere. “Allow her to come with me,” she said, gesturing to the small circle where Nuada stood across the street. The professor was being kept with the group that wasn't expected to survive much longer, the ones the merchants weren't even bothering to try to sell.
 
For the moment, Ganix seemed willing to be indulgent. “She looks like a mad woman,” he remarked, following Alexandra's gaze. “Who is she?”
 
“My mother,” Alexandra said without blinking. The professor had had her practice delivering that line the night before until she could convince the rocks. “A-and my tutor. She knows much more than I do and-” Alexandra added hastily, just in case Lord Ganix was smarter than a rock.
 
“I'm sure I can find some use for the two of you.” Lord Ganix snapped his fingers at the servant trailing behind him, “You there, take these two to their new quarters.”
 
The servant bowed hastily to his lord then motioned for Alexandra and Nuada to follow him and quickly. He led them to a steep path that wound into the leafy hillside just outside of town. Alexandra studied her surroundings, trying to convince her numb mind that this was where she was going to live perhaps indefinitely. There were more trees and plants that Alexandra had ever seen during her time in the capital.
 
“Where are we going?” she asked.
 
“To Lord Ganix's manor. There, on top of that crest.”
 
“Strange what they're calling a manor these days. We might have been able to use it as stables for the Academy,” the professor said. Alexandra couldn't argue. To her the Freidan mansion looked as backwater as a country farm house and the town below it like something a child might construct out of mud and straw.
 
The servant eyed the two of them nervously, as though he hadn't realized who he had been escorting. Alexandra resisted the urge to laugh at the look on his face. Then the pounding of horse hooves distracted her from the view of the house above them. She turned to look down into the valley and the road leading into town.
 
“Keep your eyes down,” the servant hissed in warning, cuffing the back of the girl's head. Alexandra did as she was told, but only after she was satisfied with her observations.
 
The rider at the head of the formation was the only one not wearing a helmet. He was a young man, just out of boyhood really, with long hair darker even than Alexandra's own. Alexandra recognized the symbol on his surcoat as one she had seen on uniforms of some of the soldiers that had invaded the city. He radiated enthusiasm, just as any warrior returning victorious from war should have.
 
“That's the lord's son, Constantine Ganix,” the servant said.
 
Alexandra was reminded of a certain poison she had never had the chance to try before. Suddenly the consequences didn't seem to matter anymore.
---------------------------------------------------------------
 
It'll be over soon. It'll all be over soon, Constantine told himself. Normally he prided himself in paying close attention to anything going on in the estate, but haggling the price of extra grain stores with an envoy from a nearby town was near putting him to sleep. And there was no telling what his father would do to him if he actually did fall asleep.
 
“We're also prepared to make a generous offer for your young scientist,” the envoy said after earning a hard fought concession that all but halved the price he would have to pay.
 
“My what?” Lord Ganix said dazedly. When the envoy merely blinked in surprise, Ganix looked to his son for an explanation.
 
“The one that found a way to pump water out of that old well without using a Drag-Energist.” Lord Ganix showed no sign of recognition and Constantine groped for something his father might remember, “The Zaibach girl? You bought her a few months ago?”
 
“Ah yes. The one that can read Fanelian script.”
 
“That is what she told you,” Constantine agreed. The envoy smiled pityingly at Constantine, as though he suddenly understood every rumor he had heard about Lord Ganix's one track mind.
 
Lord Ganix faced the envoy once again, giving the other man what was meant to be a charming smile. “I'm sorry. The girl isn't for sale right now. Any offer you made would have to be very generous indeed.”
 
The envoy named his price. Ganix refused instantly and sent the man on his way. Constantine, who had been holding his breath, heaved a sigh.
 
“She's valuable is she?” Lord Ganix mused after the envoy had left the room. “Interesting. Con, bring the girl to me. And make sure that idiot envoy doesn't see her on his way out.”
 
“Yes father.”
 
Outside the study door, Constantine sighed quietly. It was typical of his father to be so short sighted. The only reason Lord Ganix wanted to keep the girl around now was because he hoped to drive up her price before selling her. But Constantine could think of such better things. They could accomplish so much with just one girl's knowledge of Zaibach machinery! And her tutor, though clearly out of her wits, showed even more promise.
 
But Constantine kept his mouth shut on the topic. He knew his father would never be interested in anything he suggested, especially anything that didn't involve using a sword against their rivals. To Lord Ganix, that was the only honorable way. So as long as there was no immediate threat the girl would be sold, Constantine would wait until he could find something more permanent.
 
No matter how much potential Constantine saw in the girl, he preferred to avoid her. When she looked at him, her dark eyes seemed to stare straight through him and into the distance. Her entire manner radiated a cold confidence that Constantine wasn't used to seeing in his servants and made him uneasy. She was not someone to be trusted.
 
Constantine found the girl in the workroom on the side of the stables. The place had once been used as a storage room for hay, then the “fertilizer” the horses produced, and had only been cleaned out a few months prior to the new slaves' arrival. Ancient smells still wafted up from the flagstones.
 
The girl sat hunched on a bench against the wall, her burnt chestnut hair falling free over her face. She was staring mesmerized down into her palms.
 
“They're called calluses,” Constantine informed her as stepped through the door. He leaned back against the wall, crossing his arms. “Didn't you ever pick anything up other than a quill pen in Zaibach?”
 
The girl jumped at his voice then scrambled to her feet. For a moment Constantine wondered if she actually had the nerve to glare at him then she carefully forced away the expression. “Is there something you wanted sir?”
 
Something he wanted? Constantine wanted his father to for once see beyond the edge of his sword. He wanted to see his family's title become a true weight in the Court of Freid. But it wouldn't do to be telling this girl any of that.
 
“My father has summoned you to his study.”
 
“What does he want?” It was an impudent question that only tempted Constantine's short temper that morning. Still, Constantine knew better ways of punishing her than simply snapping at her.
 
“I imagine he's going to congratulate you on your work with the well. Then again, perhaps he wants you in his bed tonight. How should I know?” Constantine said with a shrug. To his satisfaction, a tiny gasp escaped the girl and he saw her clench her hands at her sides.
 
“Now come with me,” Constantine said and stepped into the doorframe. A rustling alerted him at last that there was someone else in the room. Constantine turned just in time to see the girl's tutor tumble out of the pile of hay in the corner, bit of the stuff sticking every which way out of her hair and rough clothes.
 
“She's going alone. Father didn't say anything about wanting to see you too,” he warned.
 
The bedraggled woman drew herself up as proudly as a noblewoman. “I am Alexandra's tutor,” she announced, “Instructor of the Third Class in the Imperial Academy of-”
 
“No, you're a mad serf who thinks far too highly of herself. You're staying right where you are.”
 
The woman's eyes glinted furiously. Constantine held her stare, his expression a cool smirk, though he was suddenly very aware of the possible need for the dagger at his hip. If the girl made him feel a little uneasy, then her tutor made his skin scrawl. The girl put a hand on her tutor's shoulder to restrain her and murmured, “Just for this once listen. I can take care of this.”
 
On the walk back to the main manor house, the girl had the sense to keep her mouth shut. She didn't make trouble again until they neared Ganix's study. Constantine realized he didn't hear her footsteps behind him anymore.
 
He glanced back and found she had halted a few steps back. She was staring at the door ahead of them bleakly and her hands were clenched so hard that Constantine was sure her nails were digging into her palms. In an instant he wondered if he had gone too far. Perhaps she was not as hard as she acted.
 
“Relax,” he ordered impatiently. “You're not even his type.”
 
The girl's eyes narrowed on him as though he had just issued her a challenge. Constantine smirked, aware he had hit a nerve. The girl marched past him and threw the study door open.
 
The room ahead of her sterile and the oaken furniture sparse. Ceiling high windows lined one side of the room, looking out into the west to the mountains between Asturia and Freid. Bookshelves lined the walls, though Constantine knew that his father only had the collection there for show. Lord Ganix had positioned his desk and high-backed chair at the side of the room opposite the windows.
 
Lord Ganix stood up when they entered and cocked his head at the girl. “It seems as though I'm going to need a good excuse to keep you on the estate while I bargain a good price for you.”
 
The girl peered right back at her lord, taking the stance Constantine assumed meant she was about to ask a question.
 
“Scientists......” Ganix murmured before she could say anything then his eyes light with an idea. A rare occurrence, in Constantine's opinion. “Ah yes, you can be Con's tutor.”
 
Constantine blinked. Had his father really just managed to outmaneuver him? “What?!”
 
“I said, she's going to be your tutor. It wouldn't hurt to have some of her knowledge in our family.”
 
“He's too old.”
 
“I'm too old,” Constantine said in unison.
 
“Surely he has already learned everything he needs to know by now,” the girl said, unaware she was dangerously close to having a sneer in her voice.
 
Both men ignored her. Lord Ganix frowned with one eyebrow cocked, a look most servants learned in the first few days meant extreme danger. “You should be thrilled to work under such a lovely tutor.”
 
“That scrawny little-?!”
 
“Oh yes, insult her. That should convince her to make your lessons simple. She is going to be reporting to me, you know.”
 
“Father, I don't think you understand what you're-” Constantine began, following on his father's heels towards the door.
 
“You may be my son, but that doesn't mean you can negotiate with me. You'll study with her each day until I find a suitable buyer. Starting now,” Lord Ganix said and slammed the door firmly behind him, leaving them alone in the study.
 
Everything froze in the room for minutes as Constantine and the girl stared at the place Lord Ganix had disappeared.
 
“What's your name?” Constantine grunted suddenly. He was going to take advantage of this situation, no matter what his father did.
 
She only glanced at him but Constantine caught the scorn in her look. “Alexandra.”
 
“Well Alexandra, how are we going to manage this?”
 
“Just stay out of my way and I'll tell your father you're a quick learner at everything I teach you.”
 
“Done,” Constantine growled as he sank into his father's chair. If he had to bear her presence, at least he liked her style.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------
 
As time passed Alexandra became accustomed to Constantine's presence in the corner of the room while she worked. Once she learned that he was simply going to ignore her the entire hour they were trapped together each day in Lord Ganix's study, she could go about her business giving him the same treatment.
 
After a few days she persuaded Constantine to allow the professor to join them in the study, convincing him that the woman would cause trouble if Alexandra didn't keep an eye on her. Nuada usually used the time to nap in Lord Ganix's giant chair, but sometimes Alexandra caught her watching Constantine with her gleaming eyes.
 
Alexandra let the days pass without paying attention, blocking out the news of the outside world and focusing on her studies with the professor instead. If she did listen, all she would hear about was another Zaibach defeat. Another general killed. Another city surrendered. She didn't need to hear it.
 
Months passed and Alexandra took no notice. The changes in her body as she grew and filled out wasn't even enough to attract her attention.
 
When she had scrounged up enough materials from around the manor grounds to start making the kind of equipment she needed, she brought those along into the study instead. That day, Constantine watched her warily as she closed the drapes and light a candle. Then she placed a bit of glass into a clamp she had attached to the edge of Lord Ganix's desk and began the process of moving the candle back and forth until a bit of light came into focus on the wall behind her.
 
“What on Gaea are you doing?” she heard Constantine ask unexpectedly. Normally if he spoke at all to her, it meant that he was annoyed by something she was doing during one of her experiments. Moving around or making too much noise perhaps. She hoped he wouldn't interrupt her too much that day.
 
“Measuring the focal length of the lens,” Alexandra said absently. When Constantine was silent, she glanced up and saw that he had no idea what she was talking about. She supposed she ought to teach him something, just in case Lord Ganix decided to quiz him instead of her on what Constantine was learning. “Here, I'll show you.”
 
She picked up the lens and handed it to him, showing him how to move it back and forth in front of the flame to make the light dance across the wall to the ceiling. “The professor told me that each lens bends the light in a precise manner. If you get everything just right, you can determine where the light will be focused.”
 
Constantine regard her dubiously, “Why should you care where the light bends?”
 
Alexandra edged away from him, trying to repress her exasperation. “You're the one you asked what I was doing!”
 
“Your frustration is one of the few things I have to amuse me during our meetings,” Constantine remarked and held the small piece of glass up to his eyes to peer through. The lens shifted in his fingers to the round edge Alexandra hadn't had time to ground down yet. “Ack!”
 
Alexandra heard the tinkling of glass behind her and whirled about in horror. “You might have warned me some of the edges were still sharp,” Constantine snapped, holding out his bleeding palm but Alexandra's vision was centered on the dozen or so pieces of glass scattered across the carpet.
 
“Blast it!” she cried, kneeling over the broken glass like it was a dead pet. “I worked all week on that lens!”
 
“Is that all you can say after cutting me open?”
 
“You're the warrior. I thought it was your job to bleed,” Alexandra shot back, demonstrating a spark in her temper Constantine had never seen before.
 
The two of them retreated to opposite sides of the room in silence. Alexandra carefully picked up the lens pieces and placed them into the bucket where she had meticulously collected other shards, brooding over how she was going convince the glass blower to melt them down this time. Constantine tore a strip from the handkerchief from his pocket and tied it about his hand the best he could with one hand and his teeth. Nuada continued to snore quietly in her chair.
 
A half an hour passed before either of them acknowledged the other existed again.
 
“What were you going to use it for?” Constantine asked, breaking the silence just before their time together was over.
 
But Alexandra was no longer in the mood to explain anything else to him. “If you're really interested, go to the pastures after the Silver Moon sets. There shouldn't be very many clouds and we should be able to see the stars.”
 
Once they were finally released from their time together, Alexandra looked up to discover that Professor Nuada had been watching them the whole time.
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----
 
Constantine tried to resist his curiosity. He seriously considered just going to bed and forgetting that the girl had said anything. But sleep wouldn't come as he watched the Silver Moon reach the western horizon. Cursing under his breath, Constantine relented and emerged from his room. The girl had, after all, thrown down the challenge.
 
He found Alexandra in the pasture the farthest north from the dim light of the manor. She had set up a strange tube mounted on a tripod in the middle of the field.
 
“Must you look at me that way?” Constantine said, referring to the shocked expression on Alexandra's face. Obviously she had never expected him to show. “What is that thing?”
 
Alexandra blinked and shook her head, “A telescope.”
 
“I've heard of them,” Constantine said, knowing that he was just surprising her again. “But why do you have it pointed at the sky?”
 
“Look,” Alexandra gestured for the Mystic Moon, which at the moment was almost directly overhead.
 
Constantine cocked an eyebrow at her. “The Mystic Moon?”
 
“You've heard the stories. That generations ago the Mystic Moon used to be completely dark? Then the lights started to appear, first on one continent, then on the next and the next? Haven't you ever wondered what those lights are?”
 
When it became clear that Alexandra wasn't going to explain any further as she adjusted her device, Constantine craned his neck to look at the Moon. Only a slim crescent of it was slipping into the dark, but he could clearly see pin points of light following the Moon's coastline inside the shadow. He hadn't ever really thought about it. It all seemed too far away to matter.
 
“The resolution isn't very fine yet,” Alexandra warned, motioning for him to look into the device. “That's what I was trying to improve this morning before you sabotaged me.”
 
He ignored that remark as he leaned over to peer into the eyepiece. He jerked. “What- what am I looking at?”
 
“Cities.”
 
“Cities?!” Constantine shot away from the telescope and fell back a few paces, more agitated than Alexandra had ever seen him before.
 
Unconcerned by his reaction, Alexandra took his place at the telescope. “Yes. They know how to make cities larger than anything we ever had in Zaibach, buildings larger than anything in Palas. I once got to look through the highest resolution telescope at the Academy and I saw that they have machines to carry them places faster even than a guymelef. That is where the Wing Goddess came from. That is why Fanelia was able to win the war with her on their side.”
 
“Have you seen any sign of how they fight their wars?” Constantine asked.
 
Alexandra leaned back from the telescope with a sigh. “Don't you think of anything besides war?”
 
He looked down into her eyes suddenly, shocking her with the intensity of his gaze. “Don't you think of anything besides the stars?”
 
In that moment they understood each other perfectly. Of course she thought of other things and so did he. It was just too dangerous to let the rest of the world know they did.
 
“I want to see the Imperial Academy and all its knowledge restored,” she whispered, hardly understanding why she chose to trust him.
 
Constantine smiled slowly. “And I want to rule the Duchy of Freid. Perhaps someday we'll be able to help each other.”
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------
 
At first the different plants and herbs of Freid stumped them but she and Nuada were learning quickly and finally able to produce some of their own materials. Nuada had even earned the title the Witch of Zaibach among the townsfolk. The professor preferred to save her energy for lessons so she sent Alexandra on that errand of wandering the paths through the countryside around the manor to collect plants instead. It was one of the few times Alexandra had away from the woman and she drew them out for as long as possible.
 
The day after her and Constantine's conversation around the telescope, Alexandra had to use even more time to think. She had no idea what he meant by helping each other. Technically all she was anymore was a serf, with no more ability to help him become a king than she had to fly. The whole idea seemed ridiculous.
 
A noise in the clearing ahead where she had planned to collect those strange red mushrooms distracted her. Alexandra darted off the path and up the slope to her right so that she could look down on the clearing and no one would see her.
 
A group of five men were attacking three particularly feisty children.
 
Alexandra choked on a gasp. Whatever the men were harassing, they weren't human children, but they weren't animals either. These children were decidedly feline, with velvety ears on top of their heads and tails that reached down past their ankles.
 
The oldest of the three had black hair, making him look like little more than a shadow as he darted around the men, hissing and throwing clumsy blows. He had streaks here and there in a pale shade of gold that Alexandra suspected had grown in over scars. Another was a Russian blue, with a blue coat and silver guard hairs so that she seemed like a pool of water rippling with all her fur raised. The youngest was the least remarkable, brown with black stripes.
 
Alexandra might have been tempted to slip quietly back along the trail, if she hadn't known one thing: those kitten-children were part of a species under the protection of Zaibach.
 
There was no use trying to talk to this kind of peasant. Picking up her full basket, Alexandra burst through the brush and chucked it with all her might at the nearest man. She never expected him to crumple to the ground and go still after the blow.
 
The kittens scattered to the edges of the clearing, staring at Alexandra as shocked as the men were. The men were the first to work through the feeling, advancing now on Alexandra instead. Well, she supposed four on one was better than five on one anyways.
 
Bellowing, the man that appeared to be the leader of the group charged her. Without so much as a second thought, Alexandra drew a vial out of her apron pocket and threw it into the man's face. The glass shattered, releasing a sickly yellow gas that knocked him out instantly.
 
She didn't have much time to study the results for future experiments. A second man followed close in his wake. Alexandra drew out another vial, this time acid. But this man was smart enough to duck. He lunged towards her, snatching hold of her wrist. “Filthy wench!” he snarled.
 
“Take your hands of them!”
 
Alexandra spun about, yanking her wrist free. Constantine sat astride his pale horse Sorrel at the edge of the clearing. His bright eyes were watching the three men, sparking furiously. Strangely Alexandra didn't feel relieved. Instead she just felt annoyed. What could he possibly have been doing there? Had he been following her?
 
The man looming over Alexandra straightened up. “And who do you think you are?”
 
“I am Constantine Ganix, your liege lord. And I believe I just told you to take your hands off them.”
 
“Right. If your Ganix's son, then I'm a newborn pup,” the tallest of the men sneered.
 
“How unfortunate for you,” Constantine said quietly as his slid off the back of his horse and his lips twisted into a shadowy smile. “Because my father enforces strict laws about breeding animals.”
 
The man reddened and his meaty hands balled. Then he snickered as something occurred to him. “I don't know. I think I can take some lord's son who's never even been to war. What do you say boys?”
 
“You're going to regret saying that!” Constantine lunged.
 
The kitten-children took this as their signal to attack as well, all three of them pouncing in unison on the smallest of the men. The other two barely had time to react. Constantine sank his fist into the closest one's stomach then in the same fluid move, swung about and struck the other one on the temple. They collapsed with similar groans as Constantine turned on the third.
 
The two older kittens darted away from their victim when Constantine approached, but the youngest kept her fangs clamped on the man's hand. “Get `er off! Get `er off!” the man pleaded.
 
“It's time to release him,” Constantine told the kitten-girl. She just peered at him uncomprehending and Constantine motioned towards his mouth impatiently, “I said let him go.”
 
After a moment's hesitation, the kitten-girl opened her jaws and dropped to the ground into a crouch, spitting in disgust as though the man had tasted awful. The man clutched his bleeding hand to his chest, whimpering. Constantine addressed him without sympathy. “You're welcome to run, if you like.”
 
The man did just that as Alexandra stepped up next to Constantine. “You didn't fight in the war?” she asked.
 
He glanced at her. “My father needed me here,” he said simply, his tone dangerous enough to indicate that he was not going to discuss it. So that was it. He hadn't fought because of Alexandra or the kitten-children. He had just wanted to protect his honor.
 
“There now, that was a magnificent fight on your part,” Constantine crouched in front of the three kitten-children who were watching him warily. “But the three of you have to learn how to follow orders more quickly.”
 
“Do you think they understand you?”
 
“Oh they're quite feral. I doubt they even know how to speak. But what creature doesn't understand tone of voice?” Grinning, Constantine patted the youngest kitten's head as though praising a prized hunting dog, “I bet you could have taken off a few of his fingers if we had given you a few more seconds, yes indeed. What fine warriors you'll make.”
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------
 
Constantine didn't care whether or not the kittens were from Zaibach but he knew that his father would. Constantine snuck them onto the manor grounds that evening and gave them the unused servants' quarters, encouraging them to only go out at night when no one would see them. Once they understood that they were going to be cared for and given shelter, the kittens were extremely obedient. “They eat like grown men,” was all Constantine had to say on the subject and Alexandra took this to mean he was pleased.
 
The moment the kittens were fed, they started to grow worse than weeds and it became ever more difficult for Constantine to keep them outside of Lord Ganix's knowledge. “Now what do we do if we ever hear Uncle Ganix coming?” Constantine drilled them.
 
“Run like hell?” the kittens would pipe in unison.
 
That wasn't all he drilled them on. The day after they arrived on his estate, Constantine began teaching them hand-to-hand combat, promising to move onto hand held weapons and even horseback riding. “You'll be my elite fighters someday,” he told them.
 
Alexandra was disgusted to learn that even after a month under Constantine's care, the kittens still hadn't learned any more words than basic commands. She couldn't think of a way to help them she until she found the eldest of the three kittens, the boy, curled up under her desk when she stepped into her work room.
 
Constantine had convinced Lord Ganix to put the area aside for her, so that she was no longer ruining his study. It was a simple square room with only a slit for a window that looked out over the pastures, but it was better by far than the room off the stables. Two straw mattresses were shoved into one corner out of the way, since sometimes Nuada and Alexandra didn't bother going back to their rooms to sleep. The two of them had made use of every other inch of space for tables and storage for their experiments. Glass beakers simmered over candles and a pile of sheet metal rested in another corner.
 
“Tired,” the boy said in the monosyballic style Constantine had taught them.
 
Constantine came through the door a moment later. “Where is he?”
 
Alexandra looked up at him innocently, “Who?”
 
“The boy. I can't find him for practice.”
 
“I haven't seen him,” she lied, feeling the kitten-boy tense at her foot. Once Constantine was satisfied she didn't know anything and left, Alexandra leaned under her desk. “All right. The three of you can come here to rest sometimes. But when you do, you have to let me teach you how to talk.”
 
The kittens learned quickly that Alexandra's workroom was a place to rest for them, even if they had to put up with her lessons. They learned Constantine's lessons even faster. Too fast in Alexandra's opinion. In no time at all, they were using their abilities to surprise her in her lab. “Stop sneaking up on me,” Alexandra warned the boy after one incident. “One of these times you're going to get acid thrown in your face.”
 
Grinning, the boy swung off the rafters to land in a graceful crouch on the edge of her desk. Show off. Then his expression turned pensive, his midnight tail swishing gently behind him. “Alexandra? What's my name?”
 
“What do you want it to be?”
 
“What.... would my name be in Zaibach?” the kitten-boy asked in his halting language after he thought about it a moment.
 
Alexandra paused in her work and gazed abstractly into her bowl, remembering the strange legends Dornkirk had brought from the Mystic Moon and told to his court. “Alecto,” she decided, “Your name would be Alecto. And that makes your sisters Tisiphone and Megaera.”
 
“Alecto,” he repeated, his eyes wide. “That sounds powerful.”
 
“That's because it is. If you train hard, someday we're going to be very powerful,” Alexandra smiled at him.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --
 
“-and Fanelia has that power?”
 
It was well after the time she and Constantine had their lessons and around that part of the day that he disappeared off with the kittens. Alexandra never expected to hear Constantine's voice mixing with Nuada's in conversation inside of her workroom. Alexandra pressed herself quickly against the wall, listening at the cracked door.
 
“Of course they do. How do you think they managed to get the Wing Goddess to Gaea? But one moment, my student has arrived. Come out Alexandra.”
 
Alexandra stepped through the doorway, unrepentant and frowning at the professor. Constantine appeared startled to see her but only for a moment. “Thank you for your wisdom my good witch. I'll leave the two of you alone then. Good evening Alexandra.”
 
“Good evening,” Alexandra murmured distantly as he retreated out the doorway. Nuada waved him goodbye like a child sending off her older brother to school.
 
The two women gazed at each other for a few long minutes, either waiting for the other one to look away. “What exactly have you been telling him?” Alexandra asked sternly.
 
Nuada shrugged. “Just fairly tales, nothing serious. Only what he wants to hear.”
 
But Alexandra wasn't about to let her slip out of the question that easily. “Fanelia's power.... Why would he want to know about Dornkirk's experiment?”
 
“Now now, my dear student,” Nuada teased. “You spend more time with him than I do. You would be able to answer that much better than I could.”
 
“Dornkirk's experiment failed,” Alexandra said, trying to pretend she wasn't troubled by the professor's observation.
 
“Yes and I thought I had trained you well enough to understand what that means.”
 
“All right,” Alexandra sighed, doing her best to humor the woman. “What does that mean?”
 
“Dornkirk was just using the wrong variables,” Professor Nuada chuckled softly, gesturing at the Mystic Moon floating just above the horizon outside the window.
 
Alexandra gazed at the Moon for a moment. It was true. Dornkirk never had any other allies from his home. “Professor, what was Dornkirk's experiment?
 
But Nuada's mind had already jumped towards another subject, following some twisted web that Alexandra could never hope to understand. Nuada gazed at the door where Constantine had disappeared. “That boy really is a fine specimen isn't he?”
 
Alexandra turned her back on Nuada in disgust, hardly caring to figure out what the witch was saying.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----
 
Alexandra woke with a start then lay back wondering at the ceiling. The daily combination of the Witch of Zaibach, Constantine, and the kittens was usually enough to help her sleep through the night. What possibly could have woken her? She rolled over and found the bed next to her empty. For a moment Alexandra wondered if she was dreaming of the refugee train of years ago, when it had been impossible to keep track of the woman she had once called the professor, then her mother as a lie, simplified to tutor, and finally the witch.
 
Then with a jolt to her stomach, Alexandra shot out of bed. The witch treasured her rest above all else. The only thing that could possibly drag that woman out of bed in the middle of the night was the future of Zaibach. Alexandra had to find her.
 
Instinctively, Alexandra headed first towards her workroom through the manor's dark hallways. Then muffled shouting and the witch's hoarse cackling confirmed it. “Constantine?” Alexandra wondered groggily, pushing the door open.
 
A cup lay shattered across the ground, its contents splashed in a bubbling puddle. Scattered around that, Alexandra recognized some of the supplies Nuada had collected for an experiment she hadn't explained yet. Nuada knelt amid the mess with her head bowed, Constantine towering above her.
 
“What's going on?” Alexandra demanded, drawing both of their gazes to her.
 
Constantine's bright eyes had turned murky and swamp-colored. Even more disturbing was that his hair had grown a full two inches since the last time Alexandra had seen him and had taken on a faint gray sheen. The very way he held himself seemed different, as though he was no longer sure who he was.
 
But all this was secondary to the dagger he clutched in his hands.
 
“What are you doing?!”
 
“Can't you tell?” Constantine laughed. “I'm going to kill her for this. Only she could have done this to me.”
 
Alexandra rushed in front of him, her arms outstretched. She hoped he might at least think twice before hurting her too. “You can't.”
 
Constantine paused. “Get out of my way Alexandra.”
 
“Constantine! Have you lost your mind?”
 
His eyes focused on her at last, their swampy depths enveloping her. “You were part of this too weren't you,” he breathed, sounding dazed and defeated. “I'm just another one of your experiments.”
 
“No! I-” Alexandra cut off and turned on the witch. The woman groaned and clutched her bruised jaw as she pushed herself up on one elbow. Alexandra rushed to her and clutched her by the shoulders. “What did you do to him?!”
 
The witch's eyes fluttered ecstatically, “It was so easy. The men never check their food around here. It was so slow, but it worked just as well-”
 
Alexandra shook her. “Nuada! What have you done?!”
 
“The theories work,” Nuada hissed in triumph. “All we need now is to get to the Mystic Moon. All we need is the power of Fanelia.”
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----
 
Constantine had the woman locked away. It didn't take much for him to convince his father that she was a menace. Constantine would have had her executed instead if not for Alexandra's interference. She knew that Nuada was the only one who knew how to reverse what she had done.
 
Ganix's prison was a simple affair, three cells with iron bars set in one corner of the cellar of the main manor. There was no light there, not there would have been anything to look at except bleak stone walls. Alexandra brought a torch with her.
 
She sat on the stool in front of the bars holding Nuada in her cell. She knew what had happened to Constantine was her fault. For ignoring Nuada's scheming, for allowing herself to think Nuada was harmless. She knew this and hated the witch for it.
 
“Couldn't you have waited to use your tricks on someone who deserved it? Someone who actually took part in the war? King Van perhaps?”
 
Nuada yawned widely like the kittens did when they were all but completely ignoring her. “What is it you're here for my student?”
 
“I'm here for my lesson.”
 
“I'll never teach you anything, locked in a cage like an animal. I won't tell you a single spell. Never, never, never.”
 
“I think you will,” Alexandra told her calmly.
 
“Oh?” Intrigued by that statement, the witch looked up at her student at last. “What makes you think that?”
 
“Because you want to see the end of Dornkirk's experiment. And now I'm the only one that can complete it.”
 
Nuada hacked with laughter, “Very well.”
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----
 
She was so busy grilling Nuada for every bit of knowledge she had about Dornkirk's experiment that she didn't give it much mind when Lord Ganix passed away in his sleep the next week. It didn't have much consequence on her life, except that it meant that the “lessons” between her and Constantine were over. Somehow she doubted that either of them would mind.
 
Only when she heard the whispering of the household servants as Constantine assumed his father's title did Alexandra realize the significance of the timing. She would never miss the former Lord Ganix but now she was acutely aware that Constantine's ambition had come to a head. Alexandra still couldn't determine what Nuada had done to him and Constantine wasn't discussing it with her, or with anyone for that matter. He was busy enough suppressing the rampant rumors across the state about his change of appearance.
 
At Lord Ganix's funeral, Alexandra got her first chance to see King Chid. His light blonde hair was at that awkward stage of short hair growing into long and his intelligent blue eyes took in everything around him. At another time it might have been strange to see such a young boy holding himself with the quiet dignity of an adult but Alexandra had seen the war do the same thing to many of Chid's generation. King Chid seemed perfectly at ease in the elegance of the great hall of Ganix's manor where the funeral was being held. She wondered if, with all those advisors floating about him constantly, the boy even remembered how to play.
 
“I'm sorry for your loss, Lord Constantine. I know what it's like to lose a father,” the boy said.
 
“I thank you, your majesty.” Dry eyed, Constantine went to one knee before his king, which really only brought him eye to eye with the boy.
 
Chid's sympathetic look transformed into a startling frown. “Yet I am disturbed. It's been nine months since we finally brought down the last Zaibach general...”
 
Alexandra jumped with the realization. Nine months? How many years did that make it since Zaibach fell?
 
“.....But your armies are still in the field. Why haven't they disarmed?”
 
Constantine pretended to be the most startled of all, “Your majesty, I-”
 
“I don't want to know your excuse. I want you to disarm. Now.”
 
That evening, once the King and his entourage had departed and Constantine no longer had to entertain any guests, Alexandra found him lounging in what was now her study. Constantine had given it to her after his father's death and she had quickly added her own touches to the room, mainly removing the layer of dust on the books from Lord Ganix's neglect.
 
Constantine slouched in his father's old chair, clutching a dark cloak about his shoulders as though cold even with the fire blazing bright in the hearth. He grinned fiercely when he finally noticed her entrance, “That brat intends to rule us with an iron fist. He might actually be somewhat of a challenge.”
 
Alexandra frowned. The Constantine she knew would never admit that a simple child presented him a challenge. “What is it? What's wrong?”
 
“I've made my move Alexandra. Let us hope that they do not realize it was me.”
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------
 
For a week, a day didn't go by that a messenger didn't arrive on horseback with orders from Prince Chid to disarm. And with each passing day, Constantine became more and more agitated. It wasn't the messengers, Alexandra could tell by the way he blithely ignored them. No, Constantine was waiting for a different kind of news. Whatever it was, he wouldn't tell her, not even in those moments when he retreated to her study out of force of habit.
 
Constantine glanced out of the windows and grunted at the sight of another one riding up the road. “All he ever does is whine, `Disarm! Disarm!' I'm beginning to wonder if our King is full of hot air.”
 
Alexandra began to put away her materials but Constantine motioned for her to stop.
“No. I'll meet him here.” She gave him a quizzical look and he continued with a smile. He had grown accustomed to her questions. “Because Alexandra, for the moment it suits me to let people believe I'm the silly nobleman in love with Zaibach technology and hopelessly infatuated with the Zaibach girl.”
 
“So you've heard the rumors too.” Alexandra felt her cheeks burning. She turned away from him hastily and set down the apparatus a little too hard on the desk. The glass beakers tinkled and rattled in protest.
 
Constantine shrugged. “It's my business to know what people on my own estate are saying about me.” He studied her face then laughed. “Does it really trouble you so much that they think we're lovers?”
 
There was a knock at the door before Alexandra could muster some kind of answer. “Enter,” Constantine called, sounding frustrated at being interrupted.
 
A man stepped through the doorway, wearing the bright red and blue colors of the King's messenger service. He appeared strangely pale as he performed a deep bow, “My Lord Constantine, I bring word from-”
 
Constantine didn't bother turning from the window to greet the man. “The King. Yes, I know and I can imagine what you're going to tell me too.”
 
“No sir,” the messenger said stiffly, “This is word King Chid is sending all over the realm.”
 
Constantine blinked though Alexandra could tell he was only pretending to be surprised. “I see. What is it then?”
 
The messenger drew in a rattling breath and Alexandra became even more convinced he looked shaken. “The Palace of Fanelia has been attacked by a team of assassins. There-” the man swallowed, “There have been casualties.”
 
Alexandra's heart leapt. At the same time her neck swiveled about on its own accord. She watched Constantine for any sign of a reaction. He had to be connected to this news. What exactly had he done? It doesn't matter what he's done, another part of her said, Whatever it was, Fanelia deserved it.
 
“King Van?” Constantine inquired carefully.
 
“He's presumed dead, my lord.”
 
“Oh?” Constantine looked around at last. “You've found his body?”
 
“No, my lord.”
 
“Hm. Well it's too early to call that man dead until you see his head on a pike.... So to speak,” Constantine added when the messenger's expression became faintly sickened.
 
“What about his children?” Alexandra asked breathlessly and the messenger mistook her tone for the wrong kind of concern.
 
He shook his head sympathetically. “The same.”
 
“How terrible,” Constantine murmured and allowed a moment of silence. Then, “Well, isn't it fortunate that I've kept my armies in the field? I'll send word to Fanelia immediately and ask if they require assistance.”
 
“Oh and sir?” the messenger said abruptly, “Afterwards, you're ordered to disarm.”
 
Constantine waved to the messenger, not quite able to suppress a grin, “You're dismissed.”
 
Once the messenger was gone, Constantine shot out away from the window and began to pace the room. “Still alive? Why doesn't anyone ever follow my orders correctly? Blast, I knew I should have sent the kittens!”
 
“I'm glad you didn't. They're too young,” Alexandra said, placing a hand on his shoulder to still him.
 
Constantine reached over and pressed his hand over hers. It was the first time they had ever touched each other. “I'm sorry Alexandra. It's going to take longer than I thought to find a way to the Mystic Moon.”
 
A/N: So what do you guys think? Is Van really dead or not? Hey, don't look at me, I'm not telling yet :)
 
Just FYI. Alecto, Tisiphone, and Megaera are the names for the Greek goddesses of vengeance, the Furies. Now, I know some of you are going to call me by saying that Alecto is a girl's name. Let me just tell you right now that the Romans changed it to a boys name. Hee, besides girls, don't you want to see a cat-boy too?
 
Next chapter, we'll be back with Hitomi and friends!