Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ The Cold Rain Falls ❯ Detention ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Cold Rain Falls
Chapter 3
Detention
 
“….” - Talking
`Italics' - Thinking
/>italics>/- Dream Sequence
[..]- Author's Notes [There won't be many, usually just for clarification purposes]
 
*LINE*
 
I know, you're probably all mad at me for not updating, and I'm sorry. I have no real excuse. I could say that I have been real busy with school, but I don't want to lie to everyone. Once again, I'm sorry. It won't happen again. Hopefully. Anyway, please enjoy this next installment of The Cold Rain Falls.
 
*LINE*
 
She was giving Hitomi suggestive glances when she mentioned Mr. Mop Top. “Now, are you going to answer my question? Who was that?”
 
“Nobody.”
 
*LINE*
 
 
The next few days passed almost as if they had never been. She finally finished the book Yukari had let her borrow. It had a surprising twist of an ending which she thoroughly enjoyed. She spent the last night of her summer vacation getting her school things in order and packed away in her new school bag. She hung up her freshly washed school uniform on the back of her closet door and changed into her pajama's. She jumped into bed and looked at her alarm clock. 10:30 PM. `Not bad' she thought, her eyelids drooping. `Tomorrow's going to be the perfect start to the best year of school ever.'
 
*LINE*
 
She awoke the next morning, not to the sound of her alarm clock, but to her mother yanking the blankets off her body.
 
“Hitomi! GET UP! You're late for school!” her mother hollered at her.
 
She rolled over groaning slightly and looked at the cursed alarm clock. 8:10 AM. She only had 10 minutes to be at school. The worst part was that it took 20 minutes walking at a fast pace to reach the bloody place. An idea hatched in her head.
 
“Hey mom?” she said in as sweet of a voice she could muster, “Think you could give me a ride to school?”
 
“Sorry sweetie, but dad already left for work and my car is in the shop, remember?” came her mothers wretched reply.
 
`Perfect. Could this day get any worse?'
 
KABAM!!
 
The sky lit up instantly as the thunder and lightning struck. [Come on people, you had to see this coming! When people say “Could this get any worse” it always does! Somehow!!]She looked outside. She hadn't noticed the loud `pitter-patter' of the pouring rain. `Of course' she was up, dressed, and ready to go within 10 minutes. A new record for herself.
 
She ran downstairs and searched in the closet for an umbrella. The only ones she could find were broken and she didn't have a raincoat or poncho. She didn't have the time to decide another plan of action, so she put on her shoes and…………ran for it. She ran as fast as she could for as long as her body would allow. She walked at a fast pace until she was just about at school.
 
The rain had finally stopped as she reached the sidewalk of the road she would have to cross to finally reach her destination. She would have crossed right then and there, but she heard a car coming so she decided to wait for it to pass. As it got nearer, she failed to notice one crucial detail. The car was nearly in front of her and she didn't have time to react as it raced past her, SPLASH, hitting the huge puddle that lay on the road from the storm. Now, not only was she soaked from the storm, she was now soaked with dirty water and the jerk hadn't even stopped to apologize. She watched the infernal car pull into theschool parking lot. She glanced at her watch. Hitomi didn't have enough time to follow them and see who it was.
 
*LINE*
 
The elderly secretary was busy shuffling through papers when Hitomi burst through the door. She jumped from the sudden noise, papers flying everywhere.
 
“Oh! Sorry Azumi!” Hitomi apologized with a quick bow and began to pick up some of the fallen papers.
 
“Late on the first day, Hitomi? That doesn't really make a good impression on your new teachers, now does it?” This really didn't surprise Azumi that the young teen was late. Why last year she had a minimum of 10 detentions for being tarty. Why should the first day be any different? When Hitomi handed her back the papers, she noticed they were a little damp. She finally took notice that the girl was sopping wet and she sure didn't look all that happy. “Hitomi! You're wet!”
 
If looks could kill, then the elderly secretary would surely have burst into flames right there. “I woke up late and had to run to school in the rain and then some jerk ran their car through a puddle I was standing in front of. Can I just have my schedule so I can get to class?” she said, without taking a breath.
 
The old woman smiled and handed the teen her class list. Hitomi was almost out the door when Azumi had a last minute thought. “Hold on a second, Hitomi! We have some new students this year and I was wondering if you'd like to show them around campus? They should be here any minute.”
 
Normally, she would have agreed, but considering the time, she thought that she had better just get to class. She politely declined the secretary's offer and ran out the door. As she rounded the corner, she noticed something black out of the corner of her eye but didn't dare stop for fear of being even later.
 
*LINE*
 
She quietly pulled open the door to her first period classroom, hoping the teacher wouldn't notice her tardiness. She'd had this teacher twice before and had very little hope. She never was the stealthy type and this teacher watched the class like a hawk. Luckily, the teacher had her back to Hitomi. She was free and clear. Or so she thought.
 
“Late on the first day, Kanzaki? Just quickly grab a textbook and take a seat.”
 
“Yes Ma'am.”
 
Her cheeks burned as she walked to the front of the room. She grabbed the textbook she needed and took a seat at the back of the room. Hitomi looked at her schedule and realized that she had second lunch. [Where I attend school, there are so many kids that we have 2 lunch periods.] She whispered Yukari the news and her friend regretted to inform her that she had first lunch. `Perfect.' She thought gloomily.
 
*LINE*
 
The day passed slowly and it was time for her fourth and final period. Gym class. This was great because Hitomi knew that the way this semester [Canadian Catholic school attend-ee. We are the semester system] was going, she was going to need to blow off steam by fourth period everyday. She had math first period, biology second period, vocals third, and gym fourth. It wasn't a bad semester, it was just hard. Math and biology weren't her best subjects, and vocals………..well, let's put it this way. When she sang, the mice in the town ran away. Who needed the `Pied Piper' when they had Hitomi? She was just glad that today was a day to get settled, get you syllabus and textbooks, and meet your teachers and the rest of the students. They were all sitting in the gym on the bleachers, waiting for the teacher to arrive. A few last minute stragglers entered, silently thanking the gods that the teacher wasn't there yet.
 
“Is this seat taken?” Came a voice from her right side. She looked up and was staring into sparkling ruby eyes. “Hey! I know you! Short Stuff! How you doing?”
 
“Excuse me?” She was completely confused. She had never met this boy before, but here he was, acting like they were old friends. “It's great that you know me and all, but could you please tell me who you are? And I'm NOT short!” She wanted to be angry with him, but that look on his face only made her break out into a wide smile and a little laugh.
 
He sat there with a dumbfounded look on his face. He was sure this was the girl. Could he have been mistaken? No. He'd never forget those eyes.
 
“Don't you remember me? I helped you that day at the mall. Should I call you binder girl instead?” He was a little hurt that she didn't remember who he was.
 
The realization of who the boy was hit her like a ton of bricks. She thanked him again for his help that day and apologized for not recognizing who he was. He had been wearing sunglasses after all.
 
While they continued with idle chit-chat, they both failed to notice the teacher finally walk in. They continued to talk. Once again, neither had realized that the teacher had been calling Hitomi's name a few times.
 
“HITOMI!” the teacher was clearly getting angry. Hitomi pulled her attention from the boy to the teacher and responded with a dignified and intelligent, “Huh?”
 
“Would you care to share what you find so interesting with the rest of the class?” The teacher's voice held clear annoyance. She had already had 3 classes full of grade nine girls. She was exhausted.
 
Hitomi had to think fast. She didn't want to tell the teacher she had been talking in her class for no reason. She didn't like to lie, but getting in trouble on the first day didn't really leave a good first impression.
 
“I was …..just telling our new student where to find ……the…..uh…..bathroom!” Even she herself, didn't believe her story. It was extremely unlikely that her teacher would. She looked at the “new student”. He was giving her a look that said `I can't believe you dragged ME into this!'
 
“Well, since you were so kind to tell him where the bathroom was, would you also be kind enough to show him where we hold our detentions? As you will BOTH be spending tomorrow afternoon there!”
 
“Detention?”
 
*LINE*
 
A Thousand apologies everyone! And thank you for your patience! OOOH! They got detention!! Bad kids! *tsk tsk* Oh well, what are you going to do. I want to thank everyone who reviewed but its funny. I posted a question for you guys to answer last time and for those who reviewed, only ONE decided to take a stab at the question. Do you guys even bother to read my little comments? Alright. I'll try again.
 
How Old Does Everyone Think I Am? (Hint- I'm older than 1 and younger than 3975)
 
(D/N = Deceptress/Notes) Deceptress= Fantastic Beta
 
(D/N I really enjoyed reading this chapter, and editing it. I can attest for Wings Of Ash, that she has indeed been busy lately. I've also noticed a lack of updates overall by any authors I follow during this time so she is not the only one. Consider this a march break gift. Sorry BetaraiL couldn't post a comment, she broke her wrist…friggin idiot.)