Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ The Cold Rain Falls ❯ Nobody ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Cold Rain Falls
 
“….” - Talking
`Italics' - Thinking
/>italics>/- Dream Sequence
[..]- Author's Notes [There won't be many, usually just for clarification purposes]
 
LINE
 
“Do I really have to guess?” She hated guessing games.
“'Sigh' I suppose not. FALLING ON DEAF EARS!”
“Who?”

LINE
Nobody
 
Yukari had spent the next half an hour explaining to her clueless friend who the band “Falling On Deaf Ears was. She had spent a good 5-10 minutes on each person, telling her everything there was to know from who played what instrument to who was the “bad boy”. It was apparently some guy called Dilandau. Hitomi really couldn't care less. It's not that she didn't like the band; it's just that she listened to music for the music, not for the people behind it because they're cute or popular.
“Hey Yukari, are you finished eating yet?” Hitomi had been done her dinner for the past 10 minutes, but she didn't want to be rude and rush her friend. Man, she was bored.
 
“Yea. I suppose. So, is there anywhere in this huge mall you'd like to go to first?”
“Not really. What about you?”
“Actually, I wouldn't mind going to that new clothing store “Pixie”. I've heard that they've got some really cool stuff in there. Besides, I could use some new school clothes.” She told Hitomi.
 
“New school clothes? Why do you need new clothes for school? Did you hit your head on something to make you forget that we wear uniforms?” she gave Yukari an inquisitive look before getting up to throw away her garbage and put her tray away.
 
“Ha ha. Very funny.” She said as she followed Hitomi's lead. “Okay, so it's not really new school clothes, it's more like new AFTER school clothes. Happy?”
 
“Very.”
 
They entered Pixie and were immediately surrounded by bright colours and pictures, statues, and little figurines of fairies and other such mythical creatures. They shopped a bit and Yukari had found a bunch of things to try on while Hitomi, had found nothing. This just wasn't her thing. She didn't have the wild fashion sense her friend did, and was bored very soon. A plan formulated in her head. “Yukari?” she asked through the door, “You said you got all your school supplies already right?”
 
“Yea. My mom and I went on Monday. Why do you ask?”
 
“Well, I don't have any of mine yet. So, I was thinking that since you have so many clothes to try on, I would head over to Grand & Toy and get the stuff I need. I should be back by the time you're done. Is that okay with you?”
 
There was no immediate response. Hitomi thought Yukari might be mad for even suggesting ditching her for a little while. But then, “Alright. But now you owe me an ice cream!”
 
“Yukari, you're the best! I'll be back soon! Bye!!” Hitomi grabbed her purse and leapt out of the little shop, almost thankful. She walked a little ways before entering the store she needed. Around the shop she looked for the things she would need. Pens, pencils, notebooks, loose leaf paper, and White Out. Only 1 item left. Binders. She was having trouble locating them and was about to ask their whereabouts when she spotted them. On the very top shelf. Just out of her reach. `Oh, you've got to be kidding me.' She hopped up and down a few times in a futile attempt to reach them. `Why can't stores have a special ladder us short people could use to reach stuff that was high up. It would be the worlds greatest invention. I've already got a slogan. Saving The World's Short People From Looking Like Fools.' Her face had taken on a flustered look and a hand suddenly appeared out of nowhere and grabbed a binder off the same shelf she had just been jumping in front of.
 
“Is this what you were hopping for?” the mystery man asked her with a smile. He handed her the binder and she took it with cheeks on fire. She hadn't thought anyone had seen her. She muttered her thanks and all he said was “No problem.” before turning and walking away.
“Wait!”
 
He turned back around and looked at her.
 
“Mind if I use your height to my advantage again? I kind of need 3 more of these.” She indicated to the binder she was already holding.
 
He gave a small laugh and helped her get 3 more binders. She tried to look him in the eyes to thank him, but they were hidden behind sun glasses. Even if he wasn't wearing them, she doubted she would have been able to see them through that thick mop of shaggy black hair.
“You know, you don't look familiar, are you new around here?” she asked Mr. Mop Top.
 
“Sort of.” He answered. “I used to live around here when I was younger. We had to move away before I started school, but fate seems to have brought me back here.”
 
“Oh. So are you going to be starting at Izumaki High School in a few days?”
 
“Yea. How did you know? Wait. My psychic powers are kicking in. You attend that school too right?”
 
She let out a giggle and replied yes. She asked him if was going to be a junior as well.
 
“Yes, I am.” He checked his watch. “Darn. Listen, I have to go. It was nice meeting you. Hope to see you around school. Later!” He turned around and practically ran out of the store.
`Darn. I didn't even catch his name……'
 
“So, who was that?”
 
“Ahhhhhhh! Yukari! Jeez! Don't do that! You almost gave me a heart attack! Where did you pop out of anyways?” She asked, nearly jumping out of her skin from the sudden appearance of her best friend.
 
“Next row over. You weren't back yet so I came looking for you. I saw you talking with the hot hunk so I kept my distance.” She was giving Hitomi suggestive glances when she mention Mr. Mop Top. “Now, are you going to answer my question? Who was that?”
 
“Nobody.”