Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ The Happy Sequel To Escaflowne ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

SCENE 14: The sitting room once again. Everyone is seated around the table, except CELENA and SHESTA. They appear to be discussing CELENA, the main participants of the conversation are ALLEN, JAJUKA, and FOLKEN. VAN is glaring at FOLKEN.

ALLEN: But, I found this on the floor. (holds up book) Celena was reading it.

JAJUKA: You mean you never told Celena about that?

ALLEN: No..she's just a little girl! She doesn't need to know!

HITOMI: She's growing up.

FOLKEN: You mean you let her learn from a book?

JAJUKA: That's cruel.

ALLEN: It was NOT!

FOLKEN: If you neglect her in that way, it won't mean she won't get the information. She'll just get it in a way worse than you telling her--and it may be false.

JAJUKA: It's the same with the topic of...Dilandau.

The door opens a crack and CELENA can be seen in the doorway. She is wearing a long lavender dress. The others don't notice her and continue with their discussion.

ALLEN: Dilandau?

FOLKEN: If you don't tell her the story, she'll get it from someone else.

ALLEN: Shesta? He better not tell her...or I'll...I'll....

MERLE: Kill him again?

ALLEN: Shut up

JAJUKA: Well...no matter whether you want her to know or not, she's going to learn. The question is, from who?

ALLEN: No! She's not ready yet! She is too young!

HITOMI: she's almost up to her age in maturity!

ALLEN: She is a child!

VAN: She needs to know! You can't let SHESTA tell her! He'll twist the story! Turn her against us!

CELENA screams and runs off (think Manon in "Jean de Florette" when she is witnessing Ugolin and Cesar celebrating her father's death...)

ALLEN: Celena?

JAJUKA: See what I mean, Allen? She was listening.

ALLEN puts his face in his hands

ALLEN: All I want to do is protect her! I lost her once---I don't want to lose her again!

SCENE 15: SHESTA is seated on a bench in the castle garden. CELENA appears on the path and runs to him. Her eyes are overflowing with tears.

CELENA: Shesta!

SHESTA: Yes, Lady Celena?

CELENA runs up to him and tries to embrace him, but fails. SHESTA sits on the bench and so CELENA sits, too.

SHESTA: What's wrong, Celena?

CELENA: (in tears) Allen....has no respect for me whatsoever!

SHESTA: What happened?

CELENA: He, Folken, and Jajuka are talking about me in a conference He refuses to tell me anything about---anything I want to know! He won't tell me anything about Dilandau...I know...maybe it would be hard to take, but HE IS PART OF ME! WHY WON'T ANYONE TELL ME!! (quoting Les Miz here, so she sings:) "I'm no longer a child and I yearn for the truth of the years, years ago!"

SHESTA: Yeah, you ought to know...I suppose I...

CELENA: (interrupts) TELL ME! (for a split second her eyes seem to tint red)

SHESTA: (snaps to attention) Yes sir!

CELENA: (back to normal) (softly) nani okurei?

SHESTA: Sorry Celena....impulse.

CELENA: What did I do?

SHESTA: Eeh...nothing.

CELENA: (pleading, eyes large) can you please tell me about Dilandau?

SHESTA: All right, although I don't think I should be the one to tell you.

CELENA: You're the only one who will!

SHESTA: Well....most of this I didn't know before I died, but I'll tell you what I can. Dilandau was a commander of mine during the war. He was...not a nice person.

CELENA: I've gathered.

SHESTA: Uh...yeah. But he was a good soldier. Although I'm not quite sure if he made a good commander....

CELENA: You once said something about him throwing you across the room?

SHESTA: Uh....yeah...he had difficulty managing anger....and he'd take it out on us. He was obsessed with fire.....

CELENA: I've heard that....

SHESTA: Uh...I don't know what else to tell you.

CELENA: Why does Van always flinch when Dilandau is talked about? I mean....I know why Allen doesn't want him talked about, but why Van?

SHESTA: Van?

SHESTA V.O.: Why me!!!!!

SHESTA: Uh...uh....because....Dilandau hated Van.

CELENA: Why?

SHESTA: Uh....uh.....uh....

SHESTA V.O.: Gee....I can't remember! It all seemed reasonable at the time but.....

CELENA: And what is my connection to Dilandau?

SHESTA: Uh......I assume that somehow you became him but then became yourself again. I don't know what happened exactly, though. Ask Jajuka about that--I think he'd know better than I do. I never even knew Dilandau was originally you until I met you.

CELENA V.O: So...Dilandau and I...that's what Sora meant by a he/she.....and I don't exist in the movie because Dilandau is apparently not a he/she in the movie....

CELENA: Oh...okay...this is all very odd. So he was my exact opposite? Like I'm allergic to fire so he loved fire?

SHESTA: Yes.

CELENA: Why were you devoted to him?

SHESTA: Because I knew nothing else

CELENA: Why do you care for me?

SHESTA: Because...because...that I cannot explain so easily.....

SHESTA V.O: The feelings I have for Celena--go beyond duty.

CELENA V.O: The feelings I have for Shesta--go beyond pity, beyond curiosity..

SHESTA and CELENA V.O.: Far beyond.

SCENE changes to watching this conversation between CELENA and SHESTA from above, on a balcony overlooking the garden. JAJUKA walks onto the balcony to see CELENA and SHESTA stare into each others' eyes for a second, then SHESTA embraces CELENA.

JAJUKA: (quoting line from Les Miserables again.) Love is the garden of the young. She was never mine to keep. (end quote) but I bet Allen will have a hard time accepting this.

SCENE 16: Int. a random meeting room. JAJUKA is sitting at the table, reading a book titled, "The Secret to Successful Territory Marking." with interest. There is a knock on the door. JAJUKA quickly hides the book in a bag.

JAJUKA: Come in!

CELENA enters wearing same clothes as last scene.

JAJUKA: Oh, hello Celena.

CELENA: Hi Jajuka. Can I...talk to you about something for a minute?

JAJUKA: sure, have a seat.

CELENA sits down next to JAJUKA. JAJUKA kicks the bag out of view.

CELENA: Well..I was talking to Shesta...about Dilandau....

JAJUKA V.O: Uh oh---Allen's going to be steamed about this. But--if anyone cares--she did come to talk to ME.......

CELENA: And he was trying to tell me about Dilandau, but he didn't know all that much, and he said you or Folken would know better than he did. So...I was wondering if you would tell me what you know?

JAJUKA V.O. : I hate to have to tell her this, but at the same time--I'm glad she's ready to hear it.

JAJUKA: Well...during the war there was this floating...country...called the Zaibach Empire. The leader of the Zaibach Empire did...experiments...with fate alteration.

CELENA: Ookay.....fate alteration? And what the heck does this have to do with me?

JAJUKA: I'm getting to that.

CELENA: Okay, sorry. I understand this must be hard for you to tell me....

JAJUKA: The leader of the Zaibach Empire thought he needed live subjects to test fate alteration on. Sadly enough, he sent soldiers out to capture children that he could test this on.

CELENA V.O.: Oh my....oh my.....

JAJUKA leans back in his chair, his eyes closing, remembering. His voice takes on a far-away quality to it.

JAJUKA: So they captured this...sweet little girl...she had beautiful fair hair and soft blue eyes...

CELENA listens intently, hanging on to every word.

JAJUKA: She was scared....and I felt sorry for her...they cut her hair short and the girl became upset...she wouldn't eat...and it seemed nearly impossible to get her to sleep...I'd wake up in the middle of the night and hear her crying.

CELENA: Hey....I...remember some of this! And I remember you..a little...from before! Then...I remember...these mean people tying me down to some....machine...and I was screaming...then everything went blank!

JAJUKA nods slowly, still lost in thought

CELENA: So....they turned me into this boy that was the exact opposite of me to see if they could....do fate alteration?

JAJUKA: Yes.

CELENA V.O.: Okay...that was really mean. I know it sounds childish to say, but...yeah.

CELENA: Hey, are you okay?

JAJUKA's eyes snap open, and then they soften.

JAJUKA V.O.: I knew you were ready to hear this, Celena.

JAJUKA: Oh I'm fine, just remembering. But are you okay?

CELENA: Yeah...I'm fine. How did I turn back into me?

JAJUKA: Well..they tried various experiments, and in the end, none of them worked.

CELENA: Oh.....

JAJUKA: How about you ask Folken about the specifics of that, if you still want to know.

CELENA: Yes, I'll do that. Thank you so much, Jajuka.

JAJUKA: You're welcome. I suppose you'll take this as an obvious statement, but...you're much preferable to Dilandau, you know.

JAJUKA V.O.: I give Dilandau information--he throws a glass of wine at me. I give Celena information...she thanks me graciously and asks if I'm okay when I really should've asked her first. Yeah--I'll say they're opposite.

CELENA V.O.: It was hard to hear, but...I'm glad to know.

MERLE runs in and sits down next to CELENA

CELENA: Oh..hello Merle

MERLE: Hello Celena. Hey, I wasn't interrupting anything important, was I?

CELENA: 0.0

CELENA V.O.: Not according to Allen.....

MERLE: Anyway, so what are you....hey! What's in that bag, Jajuka?

JAJUKA: Uh...uh...nothing Merle.

MERLE: I've never seen it before!

MERLE leaps under the table, grabs the bag, and stands up triumphantly.

MERLE: Here we go!

CELENA: You might want to give that back to Jajuka, Merle?

MERLE: No..I don't want to.

Despite the fact that he has fur, JAJUKA turns red. MERLE fishes the book out of the bag and holds it up.

MERLE: "The Secret to Successful Territory Marking?"

CELENA: 0.0

JAJUKA: (shrugs sheepishly) Well...a dog's gotta' do what a dog's gotta' do!

MERLE: Please don't. I have to clean the carpets today, you know.

CELENA: I'm sure he'd do that outside......

MERLE: (to JAJUKA, right up in his face) You're WEIRD!!!!!!!

CELENA: Uh..well...I need to go talk to Folken now, so....how about you walk with me, Merle? You can see Eriya and Naria....

CELENA V.O: And Jajuka can be left in peace to read his book....

JAJUKA V.O.: Celena's so perceptive.....

MERLE: Okay, let's go....

CELENA and MERLE exit. JAJUKA pulls out his book again and starts to read.

CELENA offstage: So...what have you been doing today?

MERLE offstage: Well, I was pestering Hitomi...even though I don't do it to be mean anymore....and then I (MERLE's voice fades away.)

JAJUKA V.O.: "Chapter Three: Picking the Right Tree....."

SCENE 17: Int. Breakfast room---VAN and FOLKEN sitting in chairs, talking.

FOLKEN: Is Merle still annoying to Hitomi?

VAN: Actually..I don't think so. At least not expressly to Hitomi.

FOLKEN: Well, Eriya and Naria are always telling me how adorable Merle is....

CELENA enters

CELENA: Hi Van! Hi Folken!

VAN: Hi Celena.

FOLKEN: Hello, Celena.

CELENA: Sorry if I'm interrupting...but at some point could I please speak to Folken, when you're not busy....

VAN: Oh...we weren't saying anything important....Folken...if you want to talk to her now.....

FOLKEN: Sure. Would now be good, Celena?

CELENA: Now is fine....just maybe.....

FOLKEN: Maybe what?

CELENA: Well...all I'm thinking is that Van might not want to hear my question...?

VAN: Sure...you can speak to him privately. (whispers to FOLKEN) either she wants to talk to you about Dilandau or she likes you.

FOLKEN: Oh please.

VAN: So two women are enough for you? You don't need three?

FOLKEN: Oh shut up.

CELENA: What are you saying?

VAN: Nevermind Celena....

CELENA: Okay....

FOLKEN: Van was being lewd.

VAN: HEY!!!!

CELENA: Well...my question was about..Dilandau...

VAN: Okay, so it wasn't that. I'll um...leave now.

FOLKEN: Thank you!

VAN: Hey!

VAN exits.

CELENA: Anyway...I was talking to Shesta...then I was talking to Jajuka...about Dilandau...and Shesta told me what it was like to serve under him...well...briefly...

FOLKEN V.O.: Why did I guess that.....

CELENA: And Jajuka told me about....a little about Zaibach and fate alteration...he told me what happened...and a little about why they did it, but he couldn't really explain specifics or how I turned back......

FOLKEN V.O: Or he didn't want to. But I'll say she certainly is maturing if she can be so calm right now---and if she wants even more information!

CELENA: So I decided to ask you....if you don't mind.

FOLKEN: Well...I'll just say...I'm sure everyone's told you this before, but...you continually prove how opposite you and Dilandau are.

CELENA: Oh?

FOLKEN: Let's just say...he had absolutely no manners and no restraint. That pretty much sums it up--although...that's quite an understatement.

CELENA: Oh.. he must have been very troubling to you. I'm sorry.

FOLKEN: You don't need to apologize.

CELENA: Well...I'm sorry anyways.

FOLKEN: You're such a sweet person, Celena.

FOLKEN V.O.: Okay, I hope Van isn't listening at the doorway or he'll harass me about it forever!

CELENA: Do you know how I turned back into myself?

FOLKEN: Well...Did Jajuka tell you that the fate alterations never worked out in the end?

CELENA: Yes, he did....

FOLKEN: Well..there were certain things that would make Dilandau turn back into you. Words he didn't like...or maybe garlic, although I will say I never heard of that one until after you had turned back permanently....

CELENA: Oh..........

CELENA eyes flutter shut and for a moment she rocks on her feet. FOLKEN looks at her with concern.....

Author's Note: Italics = flashback

Dilandau writing something on paper. Celena can't see what he's writing. The door opens. Folken enters, Eriya and Naria after him. Folken opens his mouth...says "Dilandau," prepares to give some sort of order. Eriya and Naria cling to Folken. Folken looks down at them...their hands slip...his pants fall down, revealing pink underwear with purple hearts.

DILANDAU: That's not what I expected to see today. I wonder if I did it to Van..would it kill him? (laughs his FREAKY laugh.)

FOLKEN: (in stern angry voice that Celena has never heard him use before.) Dilandau...if you EVER tell anyone about this...I will...personally...tear you LIMB FROM LIMB!

CELENA turns red and covers her mouth with her hand.

FOLKEN: Are you all right?

CELENA: 0.0

SCENE 18: Int. castle hallway. at the same time as scene 17. VAN is standing in the hallway.

VAN V.O.: I wonder if Folken and Celena are done talking?

ALLEN enters

ALLEN: Hey Van, have you seen Celena?

VAN: Uh..yeah! She's talking to Folken. I was just going to see if they were done.

ALLEN: To Folken?

VAN: Yeah

ALLEN: What about?

VAN: Uh...I dunno.

ERIYA and NARIA enter

ERIYA: Does anyone know where Lord Folken is?

NARIA: We've been looking for him all day.

VAN: Well--we were just going to look for him, so...you can come along.

MERLE enters

MERLE: Van-sama!!!!!

VAN: Uh-hi Merle

MILLERNA and DRYDEN enter

DRYDEN: What the *heck* is going on?

VAN: It seems we're forming a parade to go see Folken and/or Celena. Wanna come?

MILLERNA: Sure.

JAJUKA enters

MERLE: Hey! Tried out anything in your book yet?

JAJUKA: MERLE!!!!!!

VAN: What happened?

MERLE: He doesn't even know how to pee. He has to learn from a book.

EVERYONE: 0.0

JAJUKA: Shut up, Merle.

All of the RANDOM SERVANTS enter to see what's going on. They decide to follow the "parade."

SCENE 19: Int. Breakfast room....picking up where scene 17 left off...

CELENA: Yeah...I just...had a flashback (giggles shrilly,) SORRY!!!!

EVERYONE ELSE bursts in the door.

FOLKEN: Um...hello.

VAN: What's going on?

FOLKEN: Celena had a flashback. (to Celena.) about Dilandau?

ALLEN: OMAE O KOROSU FOLKEN!!!!

FOLKEN: Sorry Allen...too late.

CELENA: Yeah...about Dilandau....and....and you were in it, too.

FOLKEN: I was in it?

FOLKEN V.O.: Incredible. Dilandau actually heard one thing I said! More than I expected!

FOLKEN: Why did it embarrass you, Celena?

CELENA: Well...um....well...you...threatened to kill Dilandau....if he....

FOLKEN V.O.: I threatened to kill him---because---if he--why it would embarrass Celena...OH!!!!!!

FOLKEN: Were...Eriya and Naria in it?

CELENA: Yes.....

VAN: You saw Eriya and Naria pull Folken's pants down?

FOLKEN: Thank you, Van.

CELENA: Yeah..... (looks down)

ALLEN: I try to protect her but...no.

VAN: Don't worry. If she read that book she knows a lot more than just that.

ALLEN: Shut up.

FOLKEN: Gee..now that I know Celena had that as a flashback, I'm glad I was wearing underwear!

VAN: Hey Celena, what color was Folken's underwear?

CELENA: Uh....uh.....

FOLKEN: Please don't tell him, Celena.

CELENA: Sorry Van, I'm not at liberty to say.

VAN: *Darn* it

ALLEN: Well...um...I would think Celena has had enough stress for today....so maybe we ought to.

CELENA walks over to ALLEN.

CELENA: I'm very sorry for disobeying you, Allen. I really didn't want to trouble you..it's just that I needed to know about my past. I understand your concern, but I did need to know.

ALLEN: It's all right Celena. Hey...wait..you seem...more mature...all of the sudden.

FOLKEN: I would say she's up to her age, Allen.

JAJUKA: Maybe she needed to hear about Dilandau..to fully mature.

ALLEN: That can't be it.

ALLEN V.O.: Or....maybe I just won't let myself realize that?