Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ There's Not A Thing I Would Change ❯ The Night That Comes To An End ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~Finally, the time has come. The chapter everyone was anticipating. What do I have in store for our "heroes" during the banquet? Read and see… THE BANQUET CHAPTER!!!!~*~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Eight: The Night That Comes To An End

Van sat in the car outside the apartment building, taking a deep breath before getting out and finding the correct number to ring. Sighing, he pushed the button labeled 1613 and wait for her voice to come through the intercom.

There was a crackling noise before the familiar voice called out. "Yes?"

"It's me."

"Oh, hey Van. I'm not quite ready, but come on up." The intercom shut off as a buzzing was heard, giving him permission to enter the building. Sighing again, Van swung open the door and headed over to the elevator. The man behind the lobby desk, obviously the landlord, smiled at him as Van entered the vertically moving box. Pushing the correct floor number, the magical box slowly moved up while Van leaned against the wall. His thoughts continued to run around in his head of the upcoming night. 'After this, it's all over. We can go back to the way things were.'

The doors opened at that point, allowing him passage to the long hallway he had not seen in a long time. Walking down a few doors, he stopped and knocked on the one he desired.

"It's open!"

Pushing the door open, Van entered a lilac colored room with an off-white colored sofa in the living room area. "Just have a seat on the couch. I'll be right out."

"Sure thing." Doing as the voice requested, he sat on the surprisingly comfortable couch. 'I have a feeling if I sit here too long, I'll fall asleep!' Looking around the room, Van saw different pictures framed. Curious, he walked over to a get a better look. One had a man with almost brown hair and glasses in a green robe with an older man with black hair and glasses standing next to him while two women stood on the opposite side of him.

"That was my brother's high school graduation photo. I looked a bit different back then, don't you think?"

Van turned around to be greeted by a smile. The female walked over to a different frame and held it up to him. It was a picture from the night he had graduated from college, all of his friends around him. "This is my favorite one. It's that night we all went to that night club to celebrate graduation. I think it's a nice group shot with the whole gang. Hitomi looked just so happy that night too, so proud of you."

Smiling at the memories, he nodded. "I think I have that photo somewhere in my apartment. Those were good times."

"Yes they were. But enough with this trip down memory lane. We're going to be late for your banquet thingy."

Laughing, Van smiled. "Yes we are. I can't thank you enough for doing this on such short notice."

With a wave of her hand, she shook her head. "No biggie. Just know you owe me a huge favor, Van."

"I'll put it on my bill." Extending his arm, Van smiled. "Ready to go, Ms. Danielle?"

The blond smiled back as she took his arm. "Of course, Mr. Van. Right after you tell me you think I look nice."

Taking a look at her, Van nodded in satisfaction. Her ¾ sleeve dark violet dress went down to her ankles in a small bell-like shape, showing off her curves. Her hair was slightly curled as it fell over her shoulders. The make-up was light, consisting of mascara and lip gloss. She looked classy, yet real.

Van smiled. "I'll do you one better. You look beautiful. And I am grateful you wore heels instead of going barefoot."

"You know how I like going barefoot. I figured your shoes would step on mine a few times, so I might as well have weapons of my own to dig into you."

Blinking, he looked at her, but was not at the same time. 'That sounds like something Hitomi would say.'

"Earth to Van! Snap out of it!"

At this, Van shook his head back and forth. "Sorry. Must have dazed off. I have a lot on my mind."

"Like a certain someone?" When Van gave her a weird look, Danielle only sighed. "Come on. We're going to be late. Let me just grab my coat." While she did that, Van continued to look around the room, taking a quick look at all the other photos. 'Almost every single on of them have Hitomi and me side by side, smiling widely.'

Hearing the door open, he left the site of the happy photos to walk out of the apartment and face the night that was to come.

~Flashback~

A weird ring sounded through his room as Van rolled over to look at the cell phone sitting on his night stand. Grumbling when he saw the time, he picked up the damn loud thing and flipped it open. In a groggy voice, he answered, "Hello?"

"Oh good. You're up."

Groaning, he fell back into his pillow. "Hitomi, do you know what time it is?"

"I have a slight idea, but not too sure."

"It's 1:30 in the morning. Sane people are sleeping at this point."

"Oh, whoever said we were sane?"

"This is true. What do you want before I hang up on you and get some more sleep?"

"Can you meet me?"

Raising one eyebrow, Van sat up a bit. "Now??"

"Please?"

Sighing deeply, he shook his head. "Where?"

He knew that made her happy. "That big hill by BalgasPark."

"I'm going to guess you mean right this second, right?"

"That would be the idea. So, unless you sleep naked, which I really don't want a mental image of, come as is. No need to change."

"This better be important, 'Tomi."

"You'd come even if it wasn't."

"This is also true. Now hang up so I can start heading out."

"Ja ne."

"Ja." After ending the call, Van sighed as he looked in the mirror. 'I can just hear the cracked whip in the background.' Shaking his head, the raven haired male threw back the covers and got out of his nice warm bed to find some kind of shoes. The only pair he could find at the moment were his sandals. Opening his window, he threw his shoes out of it as he began to climb down the tree. Once hitting the ground, Van put the shoes on and started his walk to the park in his tank top and plaid pajama pants.

Grumbling the whole fifteen minutes it took to get to the park, Van looked up to see Hitomi standing there with her tank top and plaid pajama shorts. "At least I'm in good company."

She looked up from her spot on the bench and smiled. "It's about time you got here. What took you so long?"

"Hey, not all of us practice with the track team. Now, what was so important that you dragged me out of my very comfortable bed?"

Taking his hand, Hitomi dragged him up the hill. When they reached the top, she sat on the grass, stretching out so that she was comfortable. Waiting until he did the same, she took a deep breath. "Think about it, Van. We just graduated high school two weeks ago."

"You woke me up at 1:30 in the morning for this?"

"Work with me here, Sparky. All the friends we've made while here are going off in separate directions. Who's to say if we'll ever be able to see them again?"

"Well, there are those silly little things called High School Reunions."

"Not what I meant. Aren't you going to miss all the people you met here?"

Taking a brief moment, Van shook his head. "No."

Looking over at him, Hitomi raised one eyebrow in confusion. "No?"

"I'm not going to miss all the people I've met."

"But what about-"

"I'm not finished. What I mean is there are only a few people that I'll miss occasionally, like the people I used to eat lunch with. Some more often then that, like my family and yours. But there's only one person I'll miss all the time… you."

There was a small moment of silence before Van felt Hitomi's head on his right arm. Looking over, he saw her emerald eyes bearing into him, something different in them. "I'm really gonna miss you, Van. What am I going to do without you?"

"Study to become a fabulous music teacher."

"I'm not so sure."

Sighing, Van turned so he was facing her, her head still on his arm while he wrapped the other around her waist. "Hitomi, you can do anything you set your mind to. I have faith in you. Now try and have faith in yourself."

Nodding slightly, Hitomi crawled a little closer to her best friend. "Alright." Both shifted so that they could look up at the stars above. A soft sigh escaped her mouth, earning Van's attention. "Something to add to this fabulous conversation?"

"Just a question I've been pondering."

"Oh? Maybe I could help."

"I doubt it. Has to do with one of my internet buddies."

"See, that's confusing. How can you have such trouble talking to real people when you can talk to strangers on the internet for hours on end?"

"It's a gift."

"Yeah… that's it. Tell me what the question is."

"Oh alright, Mr. Nosey. She has this guy friend she's been very close to for a long time now. They do almost everything together, telling each other their deepest darkest secrets. Well, a while ago, she started developing other feelings for him."

"Other feelings?"

"She thinks she fell in love with him."

"Okay. What's the problem then?"

"She's afraid if she tells him, their friendship could be ruined. Plus, she doesn't know how he feels about her."

"So the question is whether to tell the guy or not?"

"Correct."

Thinking for a moment, Van sighed. "Well, there's a lot to consider here. There's the long history of friendship, which I assume is very dear to her. If she says anything and he doesn't feel that way back, everything changes in the relationship, whether they mean to or not. It'll be in the back of his mind all the time. He'd probably change his ways around her for fear of giving her the wrong idea. Thus friendship is ruined. But on the other side of it, he just might feel something for her, but is afraid to show it. If she told, he'd probably confess as well, the birth of a wonderful relationship."

"Nice long winded speech, but what do you think I should tell her?"

"Well, I'd wait until I was sure of the friend's feelings. If it's obvious he sees her as nothing more than a friend, she can start looking elsewhere, saving face in the process. If she definitely thinks he likes her back, then she should tell him."

"So say nothing until it's clear of his feelings?"

"Correct."

"Oh. I guess that works." A brief moment passed when Hitomi pointed up to the sky. "Look, a shooting star! Make a wish."

As she closed her eyes and concentrated hard, Van smiled and did the same. 'I wish we both fulfill our destinies with love and good fortune in our lives.'

Opening his eyes, he looked down at her once again to see she was still looking at the sky full of stars. Smiling, he rested his head back and closed his eyes, living in the moment. It wasn't until the sun rose that he realized he had fallen asleep with Hitomi in his arms. Not really wanting to, Van gently shook her back and forth. As she opened her emerald eyes to the world, he smiled. "We better get back quickly. They'll wonder where we ran off to."

Nodding her head, Hitomi and Van got up and headed back to their homes, him walking with her all the way home. When they parted at the bottom of her steps, he smiled and headed home, back to his not as comfortable bed, burying himself deep into the covers. 'I wish you nothing but the best, complete happiness, Hitomi. That's the very least you deserve.'

~End Flashback~

"Van?"

Shaking his head, he turned his head slightly to her. "Sorry, must have dazed off."

Smiling, Danielle sighed. "Well can you wait until we're not in the car to daze? I don't want to die just yet."

"Oh alright. Ruin all my fun, why don't you." Van turned into the front of the very large and grand building, a valet coming over to get the keys. Getting out of his car, he walked around and opened Danielle's door as well. After he tossed the keys to the valet, he held out his arm for her, which she took, heading into the building, and to their fates.

The hall was huge, pillars along the sides holding up a massive ceiling that held ancient paintings of winged people flying around with dragons in the sky. Everyone who entered was immediately overwhelmed by the grandness displayed throughout the room that seemed to go on forever. The white pillars blended nicely with the golden walls, giving the room a peaceful glow.

As Van walked in with Danielle on his arm, his eyes didn't go to the ceiling, but went searching through the crowd to find that one special person. Disappointed that he couldn't find her right away, he tried to hide it by leading his friend into the banquet.

"Van, this place is beautiful. I didn't know so many people worked at your company."

"Well, there are a lot of branches and different departments. I know quite a few people in the production area. They take my department's ideas and make them commercials."

Nodding her head, obviously impressed, the blond looked around at all the strange faces. Smiling, Van recognized one head and led the girl in that direction. "So you're not completely lost, I'll introduce you to one of the friends I made here." When he was close enough, Van reached over and tapped one of the man's shoulders. "Gaddes. Nice to see you here."

A man with dark raven hair and kind brown eyes turned to the maroon eyed man. "Hey Van. I see the boss finally let you have some time off." His eyes left his friend and landed on the female next to him. "And who is this lovely creature?"

While a slight blush graced her face, Van smiled. "This is my good friend who helped me out tonight. Danielle, this is my friend Gaddes. We've been working together since I started here."

The man took a step forward. "It's an honor to meet you."

A small smile spread on her lips as she replied, "The pleasure is mine, sir."

"Please, just call me Gaddes."

"Alright."

Seeing the obvious connection right away, Van held back a chuckle. "Hey Gaddes. Have you seen Allen nearby?"

Thinking for a moment, the man replied, "Last I saw him he was talking to some guy from Rand. I think over on the other end of the hall."

Nodding, Van smirked. "Mind watching her until I return?"

Before Danielle could shoot him a sarcastic comment, Gaddes intervened. "It would be my pleasure to stay in your good company, Ms. Danielle."

While she blushed, Van thanked him and dove right on into the crowd, leaving his friend in good hands. 'Gaddes is a good guy, living the life of honor and chivalry. At least I know she's in good hands.'

"Van?"

Turning in the direction he had heard his name, the said man smiled at the woman. "Nice to see you, Maaya. Elegant as always."

Walking up to him in a tradition black evening gown, Maaya smiled at him. "Thank you, but flattery is not going to get you out of what I have to talk to you about."

His smile fell slightly as he knew what she meant. "I think it best to wait still. But enough about that. How is your evening going thus far?"

"Nice, but this just reminds me how big the company is. I don't know nor recognize over half these people."

"True, but I guess the main boss thinks we deserve a break or something."

"I heard he sent his daughter here instead of coming himself. I haven't seen her yet, but I hear she's quite beautiful and young, I think you and Hitomi's age."

"Speaking of Hitomi…"

Maaya smiled at that. "Last I saw her she was in the center of the room, with Mr. Schezar."

Van nodded. "Well I better go rescue her then. I'll catch up with you later tonight, okay?"

"It's not too late, Van. You still have a chance to make things right."

With a small smile of gratitude, Van set out through the crowd to find the one that had been plaguing his thoughts for days now. While waving hello to other coworkers and such, his mind still stayed on that one person. 'I still don't understand it. Why am I suddenly attracted to her? What are these feelings really trying to tell me? She has been my best friend for eleven years. Why now?'

"Van!'

Hearing his name brought him out of his walking coma. Turning his head to the side, Van was shocked to see who had called his name. "John? Robin? What are you guys doing here?"

The couple broke away from the large crowd and walked over to their friend. Robin wore a long dark red dress covered with black lace in delicate designs all over it. Like himself, John wore a tuxedo. The raven haired woman with glasses smiled at him while holding her husband's hand. "I didn't know you were going to be here, Van. You work for Astoria?"

"I have for about three years now."

"Oh. Why didn't I know that?"

"It probably never came up. Anyway, what brings you here?"

John took his eyes away from the crowd and looked at his ex-roommate. "I've been working for Rand as a graphic designer. This marks my second year."

"I thought you were a psych major."

"Nope. I switch middle of freshman year. Guess you were too busy thinking of a certain female to notice. Oww!" Both males turned to the smaller female beside them, one in surprise and one in annoyance.

Robin glared at the man she came with. "That's not a nice thing to say."

"And that deserved you digging your heel into my foot?"

"Would you prefer I do any of my other usual quirks? I thought you wanted me to behave a bit." Leaning in so they're noses were almost touching, John quickly kissed her on the lips, earning a smile from his wife.

Smiling at his friends' happiness, Van looked away and into the crowd, still searching for the one he wanted to see more than anything tonight. Robin's voice brought him out of his search. "Pardon?"

"I said who did you bring with you tonight?"

"Danielle."

John's head snapped up. "The same Danielle from college?"

Raising an eyebrow at him, Van nodded. "Yeah…"

A wide and evil smirk grew on his face. "I think it's time we had a chat."

Van rolled his eyes. "I would think you have feeling back in that spot on your head she beat you so many times by now! Are you over your paranoia of cats yet?"

"Cat? Where's the Trigun cat? I'll beat it for sure this time!"

Robin sighed in frustration. "John, calm down. I promise there are no trigun… cats…"

At that moment, a black cat with yellowish green eyes walked by and in the direction of where Danielle was. "Meow."

Both Robin and Van just blinked as John pointed at it. "See! I knew she was controlling them! I just knew it!"

"You do realize that cat in my room was just a picture and that it never blinked, thus you having a staring contest with it all the time was just sad, right?" All three of them turned to face a smiling blond who held and was stroking the cat in her hands. Behind her stood Gaddes, who remained quiet for the moment.

"It's the Dani!" Robin smiled and hugged her friend, after she had placed the cat down. "Glad to see you again after a few days, but it's weird seeing you in a dress."

Danielle sighed. "I know! The things I do for friends who need favors at the last minute."

"Well, you look good, hunny."

At that, the blond smiled. "Good to hear you still have that southern accent after all this time." She then turned her attention to the other male. "You taking good care of her, or do I have to beat you again?"

"What are you gonna do? Send your stupid cat after me?"

Raising one eyebrow, Danielle looked at John with this 'are you kidding' look. "Did you not just see that cat walk by and into my arms? Don't call my cat stupid either!" With that, she smacked him upside the head. "Not a quick one, are you?"

While the two bickered a bit, Robin and Gaddes looked over to Van, who was just shaking his head. "Can you guys handle these two while I hunt for my best friend?"

Robin just waved her hand at him. "I'm only too used to this. Go ahead. We'll make sure they don't kill each other." Gaddes just nodded, watching in shock as the two crazy people went back and forth with verbal insults and heavy sarcasm.

Laughing, Van dove right back into the crowd, still in search of the woman he desired. He saw Maaya talking to a guy with long brown hair and small black glasses with gold rims, but just shrugged it off. 'Probably some guy in the company I haven't met.' Smiling at other and making his way through the vast number of people, Van came to the point he figured to be the center of the room. Swimming through the crowd was a tall man with blond hair, happily flirting with some red head. 'Stupid asshole. Hope he chokes on his Jell-O.'

"Van?"

At that moment, Van turned to look behind him and was rendered speechless. Standing there before him was a goddess, her sandy brown hair half pulled up in a twist, allowing only a small portion to fall to her shoulders. Her deep emerald dress hugged her body nicely, falling to her ankles with a delicate slit up to right above her right knee. The sleeves went to her wrist before flowing out to halfway between her finger nails and knuckles. Around her neck was the emerald necklace he had given her not long ago, going nicely with the curved neckline. On her left pointer finger was that familiar Celtic ring she never took off. Hitomi was positively breath taking.

Without saying a word, Hitomi smiled as she walked over to him and gently pushed up his chin with her soft hand. "I take it I look nice tonight?"

Shaking his head, Van looked into her endless emerald eyes. "No. No mere words could describe what I see. Beautiful doesn't even come close."

The woman blushed slightly, but smiled. "Thank you. Who did you con into coming with you on such short notice?"

"Danielle."

"Ah. You owe her big time. She hates these kinds of things almost as much as I do. How is she holding up here?"

"Well, I introduced her to Gaddas, which both of them seem pleased about."

"Interesting. Those two would be nice together. He'd be able to calm her temper."

"Speaking of temper, she ran into John and Robin."

Sighing, Hitomi shook her head. "Trigun cat?"

"As always."

"I worry about those three sometimes."

"They do have a very strange friendship, but it's a strong one."

"Kind of like ours, in a way."

Smiling, he nodded. "In a way."

Both were silent for a moment, but it wasn't a comfortable one like they had had before. Van kept on shifting from one foot to another and adjusting his collar. 'Why am I acting so nervous? Damn, even my throat's dried out.' Looking at Hitomi, he cleared his throat. "Would you like something to drink?"

Snapping her head up, allowing him to swim deep into her eyes, she blinked for a second. "Hmm? Oh, sure. You know what I like."

Nodding, Van looked towards the bar, then back at her. "I'll be right back."

"I'll be waiting."

Smiling, he made his way through the crowd towards his destination, where there was not that long of a line. While waiting for his turn, Van sank into his thoughts once again. 'Why did I get so nervous around her all of a sudden? I've never acted that way around her before. Why now?'

"May I help you sir?"

Van looked up and into the face of an elder man with dark glasses on. "Yes, Mr…" He craned his neck to see the man's name tag. "Mr. Mole?"

"It's pronounced Molé."

"Right. May I have two cokes with no ice, please?"

"Coming right up." The old man worked rather quickly, producing the drinks in record time. "Here you are, sir."

"Thank you. How much?"

Waving his hand, Mole man smiled a toothy grin. "It's already paid for by the owner."

"Arigatou." With that, Van took his drinks and headed back to where he had left Hitomi. 'Did I just tell him thank you in Japanese? Wow, Hitomi really has been messing with my head lately, or has it been all along?'

"Van? Van, is that you?"

Turning to face the person who was calling his name, Van was shocked with what he saw. "Millerna? What are you doing here?"

The blond hair, violet eyed woman walked over in her long pink and white dress, smiling at him. "I was just about to ask you the same question."

Shrugging, he explained, "I work for Astoria."

"Really? I didn't know that. Oh! Before I forget, I'd like you to meet my fiancé. Dryden?" Turning around, she looked around a bit before waving at the man Maaya had been speaking to not long before. Smiling broadly, Millerna hooked her arm around his. "Dryden, this is Van Fanel, Hitomi's best friend."

The man smiled as he shook Van's hand. "Hitomi's friend? Well, any friend of Hitomi Kanzaki is a friend of mine. I thought I saw her not to long ago being walked out of the center of the room by that Allen guy."

A groan escaped Millerna's throat. "Please don't ever bring up his name again."

Raising one eyebrow, Van dared to ask, "Do you know him or something?"

"I used to date him. When we broke up, he went after my sister Eries. They went out for a while until we both found out he had gotten my eldest sister pregnant two months before she was to be married. Eries dumped him about two weeks ago. I don't know why Hitomi's with him tonight though. Someone should warn her about him."

That did not sit well with Van at all. Seeing the raven haired man growing upset, Dryden cleared his throat and changed the conversation. "So tell me, what brings you to such a boring party such as this?"

"He works for Astoria."

"Really? What department?"

Van shrugged. "I do the filing and help come up with new ideas."

"Oh?" Turning to his fiancée, Dryden addressed her directly. "Why didn't you tell me he worked in your father's company? It could have saved me a lot of trouble."

Blinking a few times, the raven haired male looked at the blond. "Your father?"

"That's right."

A little light bulb clicked in his head at that moment. "Millerna Aston… Grava Aston's daughter. Now I remember the name. I'm so sorry I didn't realize sooner."

With a wave of her hand, she dismissed his apology. "There's nothing to be sorry about. Momentary mind slip. Happens all the time. I just wished I knew about you sooner. I could have saved Dryden a lot of time looking through those proposals."

"Proposals?"

It was Dryden's turn to speak. "Maybe my full name will trigger your memory. Dryden Fassa."

Van's jaw dropped slightly. "You're the president of Rand!"

"Ah, my reputation precedes me. If I had known Hitomi's best friend worked in that department, I would have just hired you instead."

Confused, Van looked at him. "What do you mean? I thought they weren't going to hire anyone for the project until next week."

Raising one eyebrow, the taller man looked down at the maroon eyed man. "Allen presented this one guy for it in the beginning of the week. What was his name… Dilandau something."

Van's eyes went wide on that one. "So Allen already hired Dilandau for the job?"

"Yeah, but he didn't want to get started on it until after the banquet. Didn't say why though."

Millerna looked at her troubled friend with concern. "Are you alright, Van? You look a little pale."

Van's mind was running a mile a minute. 'He used me! He pretended I had a shot at the promotion just so he could go out with Hitomi and have me do all his files!'

"Van?!?"

Shaking his head, he finally focused on the two concerned people staring at him. "Sorry. Umm, I need to go find Hitomi. Would you both please excuse me?"

Millerna didn't give up. "You sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just need to find Hitomi."

Straining her head around all the massive amounts of people, Millerna pointed in one direction. "She's over there. Allen's introducing her to someone. Knowing him, he'll do that then leave her to flirt with someone else."

Nodding his thanks, Van took off in the direction she was pointing, determined to track her down and get her out of here. 'I was such an idiot.' Resorting to pushing people out of the way, he soon reached Hitomi a few seconds after Allen had abandoned her. "Well, nice to see you listen to me, 'Tomi. I thought I told you to stay where you were."

She turned to him and smiled. "You know better than that. I hardly listen to you when you tell me something. Is that my drink?"

"Hai, but it might be warm by now."

"Oh please. You know I don't care. I just need the caffeine hit."

"If I didn't know better, I'd say you were slightly addicted to this."

"If you knew better, you'd know I'm not slightly, but totally addicted to caffeine."

Laughing, he handed her the drink while taking a sip of his own. At that moment, a man with silver hair and blood red eyes walked over to them. "Well well well. If it isn't poor little Vaaaaan. Finally decided to come out and play?"

Grinding his teeth, Van looked over Hitomi's shoulder and fake smiled. "Glad to see someone let you out of your cave, Dilly."

Hitomi's eyes grew wider as she began to turn around. Sighing, the raven haired man motioned to the silver haired man. "Dilandau, this is Hitomi Kanzaki."

Red eyes focused on the woman in front of him before he smirked. "Hitomi Kanzaki? It seems we've already met. Long time no see."

Van noticed her nervous look as part of her was shaking. She glared at him. "Looks like you've come a long way from Mystic Moon."

Confused, he looked between the two of them before Dilly turned to him. "We were old friends back then. Well, I better get back to Celena before she starts wondering where I am."

"You mean Celena Schezar? Allen's sister?"

Smirking, the blood eyed male nodded. "That's using your head, Vaaaan. I'll see you two later." As he walked away with an arrogant stride, Van clenched his fist at his side, glaring daggers at the man's back. 'So he went out with Allen's little sister to get the job! That little leech!' A shaky hand grabbed his arm, causing him to turn to his best friend. "Hitomi?"

The female was shaking uncontrollably as she looked him, fear in her eyes. "That's him."

"Him who?"

"That's the guy that tried to rape me back at Mystic Moon. Why didn't I realize it sooner?"

Van looked at her with wide and angry eyes. "Hitomi, calm down. Take a deep breath." He had taken hold of her arms to keep her steady, both glasses forgotten on a nearby table. Never had he seen Hitomi this afraid. "You mean Dilandau was the one to do all those things to you, including the locker and your house?" Unable to speak, she only nodded while he took her into his arms. He could still her shaking against his body. "Hey, it's alright. He can't hurt you anymore. I won't let him. It's okay."

Clearing his throat, Van and Hitomi looked over to the blond haired asshole, err man, who simply looked at them with eyes that clearly said 'what's going on here.' The two separated and gazed at him, one with hatred and one… well, with a different kind of hatred.

"Well, isn't this cozy. Fanel, I need to speak with you. Please, excuse us, my lady."

Rolling her eyes, Hitomi simply nodded as Van walked off with Allen towards the other side of the room. They still had a clear view of the female though, just in case. Allen was the first one to speak. "What was that, Fanel?"

"Last I checked, it was called a hug."

"No shit Sherlock! Listen, don't blow it tonight or it's your job. And if that won't convince you, I'm sure Mrs. Kanzaki's job will."

Van's eyes went wide on that one. "You'll fire Maaya if I don't do what you say? She has nothing to do with this!"

"Well, if you don't want to see her unemployed, you'll do as I say. Got it?"

With much reluctance, Van nodded. He couldn't do that to Maaya. She was his second mother. He'd do all he could to protect her as well. 'What other choice do I have?'

"Van!"

The said male turned to where the voice came from, recognizing it immediately. 'Hitomi…' Breaking away from Allen, he saw her being taken outside by an all too familiar silver haired male. 'Dilandau!' Blocking out Allen's voice, Van ran outside to see the emerald eyed girl being pinned up against the wall of the building. "Come on, sweetheart. I've waited long enough to have a piece of you." Hitomi was too afraid to think of something to do, not expecting this moment to ever happen again. She was more or less frozen in place, shocked that her past came back to haunt her.

"Dilandau! Get your hands off her!"

Both people looked over to see Van standing there, rage in his eyes. The man just smirked as he held the girl where she was. "And what are you gonna do about it, Vaaan? Run and tell Allen on me? Ha! Get lost!"

Angry beyond compare, especially when he heard her weakly tell him no, Van ran over and punched the bastard in the face, sending him sprawling on the ground. Holding his face in his hands, Dilandau looked up at him, clearly pissed off. Seeing the look in Van's eyes, however, caused fear to enter his own.

Van walked over to the man, picked him up by his collar and glared right in his face, a look that could kill if not held back. "Don't you ever come near her again or I swear to Kami I will kill you." His voice was dead serious, scaring the shit out of Dilandau. Never had he seen innocent little Van act like this, nor did he want to ever again.

Before he could answer, Van pulled back his fist and punched him across the face yet again, causing him to pass out as he hit the concrete. "That was for everything you've ever done to Hitomi."

As he was about to continue the beat down, a soft hand touched his shoulder, causing the raven haired man to look back into emerald eyes. "Van, don't. Be the bigger man. Besides, he's not worth it."

Eyes bearing into her, Van asked, "Are you sure?"

Knowing her answer decided whether the male would wake up with a headache or in the hospital, she nodded. "Let the past die. I don't want to know of it anymore."

Sighing, Van agreed, taking her into his arms as if to protect her. "I'm just sorry I didn't protect you against this."

"But you did. If you hadn't come… What a fine time to be too shocked to fight back, huh?"

Smiling into her hair, Van kissed the top of her head as he walked her back into the banquet, determined to tell Dryden all about the man they had hired. 'There's no way he can do those things to Hitomi and get away with it. I'll make him pay.'

Once they entered the hall again, Allen found them right away. "Hitomi, darling, where did you run off to?"

Sighing, she replied, "First, don't call me darling. Second, I went to get some air. Van was kind enough to come get me."

Glancing between the two of them, Allen shrugged. "Alright. Please inform me next time. I was worried about you."

Van held back a gag as Hitomi just fake smiled. "I'll keep that in mind."

Turning to the male by her side, the blond baboon, err man, nodded at him. "Van, may I speak to you in private? You raced off before I had a chance to finish what I had to say."

Looking at Hitomi for a moment, Van nodded. "Let me find a friend of mine first. I'd hate to leave Hitomi here all alone."

Before he let Allen reply, he took her hand and led her over to where he heard certain distinct voices. Smiling, he walked up to the small group. "Hey guys."

Danielle was the first one to turn. "Oh hey Van. Where'd you run off to?"

"Well, I had to find my best friend in this big mess. Mind keeping an eye on her while I have a talk with Allen?"

Shrugging, the group agreed, Gaddes introducing himself in the process. Hitomi turned before the raven haired man disappeared into the crowd again. "You won't leave me for long, will you?"

"No. I'll be right back. Promise."

Smiling, she nodded and turned to her friends as he walked through the crowd to find Allen. Seeing the blond walk into the men's room, he followed, opening the door soon after his boss had entered. "So, what else did you want to say?"

Allen turned to face Van with a smile. "I just wanted to say thank you for presenting me with a tamed Hitomi. Though I do enjoy her spirit, it would have been highly inappropriate for her to act out here. I'll make it up to her tonight, hopefully all night if I have anything to say about it, which I do."

Blinking rapidly, Van looked at him wide eyed. "You mean you plan on sleeping with her?!?"

"Exactly. The best way to break in a woman is to exhaust the spirit out of her. That's what I plan on doing. What a pleasure it will be. In fact, I think we should leave soon. It's getting late." Smiling that evil smirk, the taller man opened the door, calling over his shoulder to his employee, "See you on Monday, Fanel. Don't wait up for her." A small laugh escaped his lips right as he left the restroom.

Shock was still consumed Van as he absorbed exactly what Allen had said. 'No. I won't let him do that to her! I have to get to her first. There's no time to lose.' With that, he bolted out of the bathroom, looking all over for the small group he had left her with. When he spotted them, he ran right up to the sandy brunette. "Hitomi, I need to talk to you."

At that moment, Allen walked up to them all. "It'll have to wait, Fanel. We were just about to leave."

Raising one eyebrow at them, Hitomi questioned this. "We were?"

Panicked, Van grabbed her shoulders, turning her to face him completely. "Hitomi, listen to me. Do not go anywhere with him."

Allen glared at his employee. "Fanel, remember what's important."

Narrowing his eyes, Van shook his head, letting go of Hitomi in the process. He glared at Allen head on. "I don't care anymore! Nothing is worth all this!" Turning his attention back to her, Van had this pleading look in his eyes. "Hitomi, please listen to me. Don't go with him."

A weird look entered her emerald eyes that sent a chill down his spine. Her voice was ice cold. "What did you mean when you said 'nothing is worth all this'?"

It dawned on him just exactly what he had done. "Hi-Hitomi, maybe we should talk in private."

"No! Tell me right now." The demanding look she gave scared him, much more than any other glare. He knew there was no way to get out of it.

Van sighed, trying to pretend the others weren't watching as well. "The truth is there's this big job offer up and Allen's in charge of who get it…"

"Fanel…" Allen sent him a warning look, but he ignored it.

"So, my work was getting better, but in order to ensure I'd get it, I… I…" Van took a deep breath, refusing to look her in the eyes. "I promised Allen you would go out with him as well as go to the banquet. He was basically fascinated by you and strongly hinted the job wouldn't go to me if you refused him. I panicked, so-"

A really loud smack was heard, causing everyone around them to look over. The pain and redness on Van's face did not make up for his guilt, which tripled when he saw her face. The hurt and betrayed look in her eyes shattered his heart. She hated him. He didn't blame her. He hated himself for stooping that low.

Her eyes began to get watery as she turned to leave. "Hitomi! Wait! Let me explain-"

The girl whirled around and glared at him. "Explain? What is there to explain? You wanted a better job, a big score, so you lied to me and used me for your own benefits! You pimped me out for a job!"

"That's not it! Please, just listen to me."

"No! I've had enough! I trusted you for years, Van Fanel. I have never felt more betrayed in my life! I never, ever want to see you again." With that, Hitomi ran for the door, not taking the time to look back at him.

Van ran after her. "Wait! Hitomi!" He reached out and grabbed her arm to stop her. Next thing he knew, he was sprawled out on the floor with immense pain on his cheek and chin. Hitomi had punched him!

Shocked, Van watched her run out of the banquet hall, seeing a few tears slide down her face. 'What have I done?'

"What have you done, Fanel?!?"

Van looked up to see an angry Allen standing over him. He stood up and faced the blond haired asshole. All of his anger swelled up inside him. "I finally told her the truth, something I should have done from the beginning. No, I shouldn't have done this at all."

"I don't think you understand exactly what you have done, Fanel."

"No, I know exactly what I did. I also know what I need to do now. Allen, I quit."

A shocked look entered the taller man's eyes. "Don't do something stupid."

"I already did when I sold my best friend for a job."

"Think this over, Fanel. I'm sure we can straighten this out." Allen placed a hand on his shoulder.

Van glared at him and before anyone could say anything, he punched Allen right in the jaw, sending him back a few feet. "That was for what you wanted to do to Hitomi. And as I said before, I quit!" With that, Van ran off after Hitomi, praying to Kami she would listen to him.

Forgetting about his coat, Van threw open the doors, letting the cold air smack him in the face. Quickly looking from side to side, he found the woman he was searching for. "Hitomi! Wait! Please listen to me!" Van ran after her as a cab rolled by, ignoring her calls. "Damn taxi cab. Never around when you need them."

Van walked up to her. "Hitomi, please let me explain. It was just some big mistake."

"Oh really?" Turning around, Hitomi glared at him, tears streaming down her face, breaking his heart. "Then am I to assume that you didn't have me date your boss so you could land a major account? Damn you, Van Fanel. How could you? How could you do that to me? Not only did you change everything about me, but you betrayed and lied to me!"

"It's not like that. Besides, I thought you liked this new change. You did say-"

"I didn't change for him! I changed for you! Everything I've ever done since you put this ring on my finger has been because or for you! I never wanted to do this, but because you asked me to, I did. How could you not see that?" Taking a step back as a cab finally stopped for her, Hitomi looked at him with great sadness and hurt in her eyes. "Did you even see me at all?"

Van was too shocked to answer. His mind was going a mile a minute trying to process what she had said.

Hitomi took his silence hard, turning her gaze to the ground. Slowly, she slipped the Celtic ring she had cherished off her finger and threw it at his feet. "Good bye, Mr. Fanel." With that, she climbed into the cab and rode away, leaving Van to stand there, still in shock, to watch the most important person in his life leave him forever. It was at that moment the snow started to fall.

~*~Not exactly what you were expected, was it? Ja ne!~*~